Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i post this everytime i get to a new chapter but gently caress these nishiki flashbacks man. someone help him

Also no one mentioned the Karaoke song you can do with Haruka so you're all awful fathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Expect My Mom posted:

i post this everytime i get to a new chapter but gently caress these nishiki flashbacks man. someone help him

Also no one mentioned the Karaoke song you can do with Haruka so you're all awful fathers

Playing Kiwami immediately after finishing 0 has been quite the gutpunch wrt Nishiki. wtf

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

Playing Kiwami immediately after finishing 0 has been quite the gutpunch wrt Nishiki. wtf

the 10 years between Kiryu being arrested and released were not particularly kind of Nishiki

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I finished Saejima's dojo sidequest in 4 and now I'm kinda bummed it's over. Sure, there were some frustrating bits (goddammit Makoto why are you so terrible despite your stats, stop getting your rear end kicked by these tomato cans) but it was so satisfying to watch these guys get better in the ring and go from an awkward goon to BEAST INCARNATE. :black101:

I'd actually love to see this mode in a future Yakuza game. Hell, I'd play a standalone version.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Comparison of 2 and Kiwami 2. The PS2 game was drat impressive for it’s day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JhgVflYjL8

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TheCenturion posted:

Man, I forgot how good Majima's entrance was for the Colosseum. Goddamn. Can't wait to play this poo poo in HD.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Same, but I can never forget how good majima is

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

How likely is it that they used the original rigging/animation data for the remake's cutscenes

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How likely is it that they used the original rigging/animation data for the remake's cutscenes

Sure looks like they did, didn't they?

The other thing that really jumped out at me was how much better the proportions are in the new version; Goda's head is wee tiny on the PS2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exploded mummy posted:

the 10 years between Kiryu being arrested and released were not particularly kind of Nishiki

In retrospect it seems like it would have been kinder to just let Nishiki go to jail for ten years.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Kazama basically says that exact thing after Kiryu gets the phone call about things going down.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
People going to prison to keep bad poo poo from happening only for bad poo poo to happen anyway seems to be a recurring issue in this series.

On that note I just got to Saejima's story in 4. Holy gently caress, that 18 counts thing wasn't a bluff. That is a strong contender for best cutscene so far.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
:ssh:

I'm just waiting for the rest of the reaction. Keep going, friend. :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HebrewMagic posted:

People going to prison to keep bad poo poo from happening only for bad poo poo to happen anyway seems to be a recurring issue in this series.

On that note I just got to Saejima's story in 4. Holy gently caress, that 18 counts thing wasn't a bluff. That is a strong contender for best cutscene so far.

It's frustrating to go through Saejima's stuff in 4 only to get to 5 and start Saejima's chapter and "whoops I'm going back to prison again!" But I just started it and haven't gotten to the outcome yet so I dunno maybe it gets less stupid or frustrating later on. Since he's in jail in 6 and Majima is "dead" I'm guessing not.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Almost definitely. Yakuza by all accounts is made on a very small budget and the first Kiwami did reuse a lot of mo-cap data (look at the lip flapping, which is especially notable when you compare scenes shot for Kiwami and original game scenes). Reusing materials like this is just one of the many cost-saving measures they employ.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Caitlin posted:

:ssh:

I'm just waiting for the rest of the reaction. Keep going, friend. :allears:

That's ominous. I got to the part where it's revealed somehow the head of Ueno Seiwa survived the assassination. Also, hey guy who stabbed Kiryu at the end of 3! I don't appreciate you lying to Saejima about Majima. I'm stoked as hell to keep going after work tonight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man. Kiwami is really really good but I think I'm missing something with Majima Everywhere. I've done the first few encounters and have gone from G to F but all of a sudden I'm not encountering Majima anymore. I'm on chapter 5 or 6 and I'm taking my time, exploring and doing all the side quests, so it's not like I'm rushing through or anything. Is there a trick to forcing a Majima encounter that I'm not getting?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If he's sat in the small park in the far northeast of the map smoking you need to progress through the story to make him appear again, otherwise check what the last text you got about his location was.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

If he's sat in the small park in the far northeast of the map smoking you need to progress through the story to make him appear again, otherwise check what the last text you got about his location was.

Huh. I think it was about the cabaret club but every time I go I just get the regular date with Rina.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Huh. I think it was about the cabaret club but every time I go I just get the regular date with Rina.

Try the strip club instead.

And yeah, even if the Yakuza team is re-using animation, the cinematography was set so well to begin with that it doesn’t look too dated.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

harperdc posted:

Try the strip club instead.

And yeah, even if the Yakuza team is re-using animation, the cinematography was set so well to begin with that it doesn’t look too dated.

Hmm the text specifically says Shine so... I guess I will just keep trying. This quest with Japanese Tony Robbins was pretty rad though!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm having some trouble getting the "Burning Bridges" substory in Yakuza 4 to trigger. According to the guides I checked, all I need to start it is to complete "Clues", the previous substory in this chain and I did that, but no matter how much time I spend running around Nakamichi Alley I can't get the quest event to appear. Am I hosed because of some weird glitch, or do I just have to come back later (I'm on chapter 3-2) even though the guides never mention that?

edit: Okay, it triggered in chapter 3-4, nothing's broken then.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 26, 2018

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Just did that part last night. Had to have dinner with Rima at the tea house, see her one more time at the club and then Majima appeared when I went into Shine after that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh my God I just did Justice in Kiwami karaoke for the first time and :qq:

e: poo poo. I think I may have broken Majima everywhere. I keep going to shine and I've gotten Rina to S rank and still have yet to get Majima to show up.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 26, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Oh my God I just did Justice in Kiwami karaoke for the first time and :qq:

Do you mean Tonight? Because the translated lyrics are pretty good too

quote:

My trance was broken by false justice
I thought I was holding your hand, but before I knew it it was gone
Seasons change, time ticks away, two people lost their way
So tonight, and tonight
Again tonight, breathe a sigh
While I’m all alone, these memories can’t be changed
Ah tonight, I’ll wait
Yeah tonight, at our usual place
On a night like this, it feels like I’ll meet you
If the two of us can walk together again
The old heartbreaks, the tears on our cheeks,
I’ll show you how to turn them into funny stories

Until we start to forgive and forget the mistakes of the past
our lives will be a waste of time; let’s finish it with this night
So tonight, so many times
Again tonight, breathe a sigh
Let tonight bring an end to days like that
So tonight, we can rewrite
Yes tonight, everything
Tonight for sure, I’m sure you’ll come
And tonight, if we could walk together again
I’ll hold your hand tight
and never let go
and once again, restart from tonight
Start from tonight
Yes, tonight

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Do you mean Tonight? Because the translated lyrics are pretty good too

Oh yeah that's the one. All the Kiryu/Nishiki bro flashbacks were super distracting.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they're very cute actually.

Just finished Chapter 8 of Kiwami and wondering if it's worth mainlining the story? I've done over 30 substories and have near every ability that isn't any of the Lv. 85 ones. Those and Majima Everywhere (Almost at A Rank) just aren't really grabbing me like Real Estate and the Cabaret were. Basically just asking if there's anything that's super cool, funny or important to check out before speeding to the end, I wanna make sure I have an appetite for Kiwami 2 when it drops

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Finished chapter 3 in Yakuza 4. Well then. That was certainly some plot that just happened.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

HebrewMagic posted:

That's ominous. I got to the part where it's revealed somehow the head of Ueno Seiwa survived the assassination. Also, hey guy who stabbed Kiryu at the end of 3! I don't appreciate you lying to Saejima about Majima. I'm stoked as hell to keep going after work tonight.

You'll come back to post again when you get to the other part, I promise. I'm sorry I can't say too much without spoiling it, but anyone in this thread who has played Yakuza 4 is waiting for you to get to the... next big plot twist, shall I say?

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, poo poo is moving along. Dude got shot, I'm in Kamurocho, and the worst thing ever was just revealed to me - Saejima doesn't do karaoke. What kind of monster am I playing as?

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
All this talk of 3 and 4 has me really hoping they bring 3-5 to the ps4 in some way other than psnow as my ps3 is dead, and it's been ages since i've played 3 and 4 and i never got to play 5 (the summary in 6 for 5 was way too short i think). I have no memory of 4 in terms of plot.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

TheCenturion posted:

The other thing that really jumped out at me was how much better the proportions are in the new version; Goda's head is wee tiny on the PS2.

Yep! One of the first things I noticed in Y6 is that everyone's hands are normal sized for once. Didn't mind it before but the change is immediately apparent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finished Pocket Circuit last night in 0 :toot: The last track actually took me a while to get down, probably longer than all the others combined, because I was too afraid of just going all out for speed without having much grip. Once I got over that and accepted the risk of needing to use O a few times I got it in a couple tries.

Also got through all the PC substories except the last, so I'll have to swing by one last time to do so. Fortunately I need to go anyways to buy the last of the car parts since I was drained from buying Media King properties when I unlocked them. I don't need them for game completion but I just want to have them.

Speaking of Media King, 8/10 properties owned and 57% control, hopefully taking him down tonight and finishing the story.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
You are already....clean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVNS-bsbIfU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My victory over Pocket Circuit Fighter in 0 was incredibly anticlimactic because he wiped out really early in the race, before he even finished one lap, and I just cruised through the rest.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife got me a present to celebrate our anniversary together.

I think she has excellent taste.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So far I think Kiwami might be my favorite Yakuza game so far except... I wish unlocking the dragon stuff wasn't so god damned finicky. I like the Majima stuff but even if you figure out the emails it seems like you the events have a very small chance of triggering. And I wasn't super concerned until I realized that a bunch of the dragon skills are locked behind getting those specific events to trigger. :shepicide:

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Those are supposed to just be there at the email locales, no trigger or anything. Just read email and go there. It sounds like something got broken.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Man, I didn't understand why 5 was considered such a disappointment until just now when I beat it. That ending was anticlimactic as all hell! Also, they never bother to explain how Kiryu goes from where he is at the end of 4 to being back running the orphanage before becoming a taxi driver in 5! I mean at the end of 4 he's shown as chairman again, but 5 just goes right back to Daigo running things again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
5 just fails to pull me in like the other games, I started my second play through back in October and just recently finished it before 6 came out. It just drags and is uninteresting. It's pretty much locked in the bottom spot if ranking the main games.