Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

I read the third policeman and didn't really get it. I liked the beginning and end though.

Did you understand the main thrust of the ending? I forget how explicitly O'Brien laid it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

Did you understand the main thrust of the ending? I forget how explicitly O'Brien laid it out.

It was obvious from the first chapters that he was dead the whole time , but beyond that I don't know if there was meanings I'd missed. I found the end to be very surreal and creepy and dark, but the effect of it was undercut by the kooky humor of the middle sections of the book. I just flat out didn't get most of the middle. Bicycles and jam and wooden legs and none of it seemed to have any connection with anything else, or any meaning that i could suss out. I think perhaps there was so much to do with bicycles because he killed the guy in the beginning with a bicycle pump? It was just really hard for me to care for most of it when none of what happened had any connection with reality, or any affect on anyone or anything. The character just floated through the story looking at things with a half-hearted curiosity, even when told he's going to be hung the next day he didn't seem to really care that much. I felt most the time as if i could have opened the book at any random page and started reading and felt no more confused than i already was.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mrenda posted:

Has anyone read Samanta Schweblin's Fever Dream (nominated for the Booker a few years ago.) This was the article that put me onto it. https://lithub.com/samanta-schweblin-on-revealing-darkness-through-fiction/

This came today. I was annoyed that I ordered it as a hardback by mistake but it's only a small book. 150 pages, big print, not exactly big pages. I started and finished it today. 'twasn't bad. At the very least there were some ideas nicely presented that ran through it. It seemed a lot more ambitious than the modern Irish writers I've been reading.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i got the cosmicomics, ho boy i can already tell this is gunna be a blast

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

i got the cosmicomics, ho boy i can already tell this is gunna be a blast

If you could refrain from having one of your thoughts about it thatd eb great thanks

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i read so much, and post so hard, but in the end it doesnt even matter

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

It was obvious from the first chapters that he was dead the whole time , but beyond that I don't know if there was meanings I'd missed. I found the end to be very surreal and creepy and dark, but the effect of it was undercut by the kooky humor of the middle sections of the book. I just flat out didn't get most of the middle. Bicycles and jam and wooden legs and none of it seemed to have any connection with anything else, or any meaning that i could suss out. I think perhaps there was so much to do with bicycles because he killed the guy in the beginning with a bicycle pump? It was just really hard for me to care for most of it when none of what happened had any connection with reality, or any affect on anyone or anything. The character just floated through the story looking at things with a half-hearted curiosity, even when told he's going to be hung the next day he didn't seem to really care that much. I felt most the time as if i could have opened the book at any random page and started reading and felt no more confused than i already was.

I gotta hand it to you, you aren't afraid to admit you have no sense of humor.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
possibly they were irish jokes that went over my head? most of it seemed like 'lol so random' humor, which i havent enjoyed since my early 20s and family guy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

flann o brien is much like the famous cartoon invader zim in many ways

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

derp posted:

possibly they were irish jokes that went over my head?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i haven't read the book in question, can i still make fun of derp

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chernobyl kinsman posted:

derp posted:

is Hemmingway one of those writers everyone loves because he's so mediocre and everyman, or what?

derp posted:

gave up on karamazov after 20 pages, poo poo's as boring as the bible, going on and on about all these family members.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
JEsus christ derp

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

chernobyl kinsman posted:

u should read at swim two birds

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I read books I like some and dislike others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
It's interesting that you describe the shape of the overall joke almost exactly but still claim not to have understood it.

quote:

The character just floated through the story looking at things with a half-hearted curiosity, even when told he's going to be hung the next day he didn't seem to really care that much.

A huge part of the overarching humor of the book is how uninterested the narrator is in anything but publishing his "definitive Index" on the crackpot philosopher de Selby. He's constantly confronted by the impossible, the absurd, the incomprehensible, all hilarious in and of themselves (the sixty per-cent bicycle Gilhaney, the elevator to eternity), but he's oblivious to the clear implication of all this metaphysical chicanery, instead focused on finding this box of cash to pay a printer. So he'll report the facts of his experience, but nearly all of his personal reflections and interpretations have to do with de Selby and the transnational intrigue between de Selby commentators.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thanks. that makes a bit more sense. i didn't really make the connection that the de selby stuff was coming from the same narrator, since the guy was dead. i figured it was a second narrator documenting things and making notations somehow.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm alternating between if on a winter's night a traveler and the glass bead game. both are good.

the only other book i've read that centers around a game (or games), player of games by ian m banks, is genre bullshit, but i like the whole game concept, so if anyone can recommend me something along those lines i'd be happy to read that poo poo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A Game of Thrones, perhaps?

Real answer: The Master of Go, by Yasunari Kawabata.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nabokov's The Defense has chess as a central theme, although I'm not sure if it fits your description

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome I love go, added to list

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also I just finished luzhin defense and it is not ever in detail about chess but is very good

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Sum by David Eagleman is a pretty neat little book. It's 40 (very) short stories about what happens when you die - ~100 pages in total - and I'm about halfway now and it's good!

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Finicums Wake posted:

i'm alternating between if on a winter's night a traveler and the glass bead game. both are good.

the only other book i've read that centers around a game (or games), player of games by ian m banks, is genre bullshit, but i like the whole game concept, so if anyone can recommend me something along those lines i'd be happy to read that poo poo

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

the royal game by Zweig

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Bolaño's The Third Reich is centered around a grognardy wargame. It's a pretty decent novel

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Lex Neville posted:

Sum by David Eagleman is a pretty neat little book. It's 40 (very) short stories about what happens when you die - ~100 pages in total - and I'm about halfway now and it's good!

so what happens?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But then you will miss out on all the world-building

What's wrong with world building?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Burning Rain posted:

so what happens?

40 different things duh

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

OscarDiggs posted:

It's what C grade scifi and fantasy books are bulked up with

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Ras Het posted:

It's what C grade scifi and fantasy books are bulked up with

Thanks.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I object to the idea that a 'world' can be 'built'

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

OscarDiggs posted:

:frogout:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lex Neville posted:

I read this awhile back hoping that it would have more interesting interpretations of the concept of the afterlife, possibly referencing a variety of real world cultures as well as his own ideas. But it was much more allegorical stories that usually had the message "living forever isn't all it's cracked up to be".

Not that it was bad at all, it was interesting and good, I just imagined it being something different, and kind of wish that first book existed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

I read this awhile back hoping that it would have more interesting interpretations of the concept of the afterlife, possibly referencing a variety of real world cultures as well as his own ideas. But it was much more allegorical stories that usually had the message "living forever isn't all it's cracked up to be".

Not that it was bad at all, it was interesting and good, I just imagined it being something different, and kind of wish that first book existed.

Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it could have been trimmed to 30 Afterlives.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Not a chance friend. To many questions.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Who just followed my reviews on Goodreads. Show yourself coward

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CestMoi posted:

Who just followed my reviews on Goodreads. Show yourself coward

its chiryo40 whatever :getin:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

OscarDiggs posted:

Not a chance friend. To many questions.
There are answers to many questions. I will give them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There are answers to many questions. I will give them.

What .. what is the manner in which the world was built, O shambambamina :wink: