Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The_Franz posted:

ps4 controllers have great plug & play driver support

in linux
ps4 controllers work great on windows

when you're using ps4 remote play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ps4 controllers are ouya controllers with slightly higher build quality

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

streaming gaming's biggest problem is to have your servers located as low-latency to the customers as possible. google's one of the best placed companies to have fewer potential customers have unusable lag.

finally i can "play" free to play "games" lag-free!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

tk posted:

The Elite Controller is why I played Burnout Paradise for the 5th time on my Xbox instead of my Playstation.

i've already got one but it'd be cool if they announce the rumored 2.0 version at E3. then i could have two elite controllers and not have to hand an old 360 controller to a friend when we have couch party games running

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

streaming gaming's biggest problem is to have your servers located as low-latency to the customers as possible. google's one of the best placed companies to have fewer potential customers have unusable lag.

fischmech is right. if you're gonna play not on a pc might as well be a $20 chromecast and any bluetooth controller.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bhodi posted:

lmao did they buy onlive's assets or look at them and think "ok well maybe they failed but we can do it and do it better"

look, a market dominated by several dead companies, sony, and nvidias beta is as good a place as any to lose new money gaining shifting sands

qirex posted:

sony bought onlive

lololol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i played all of borderlands on onlive and it was okay, but lol at nvidia thinking a sub service with per hour pricing is the ticket unless this is a long play to spin it to sony too

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qirex posted:

sony bought onlive
Sony bought Gaikai to use their tech.

Onlive went "assignment for the benefit of creditors", then went proper bankrupt, and Sony bought their patents.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShadowHawk posted:

Sony bought Gaikai to use their tech.

Onlive went "assignment for the benefit of creditors", then went proper bankrupt, and Sony bought their patents.

Wish someone would buy up your lovely Posting patent portfolio.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The best part about video game streaming is that, because latency is additive and your biggest problem, you can cut latency anywhere and still make a difference.

This means poo poo like low-latency "gamer" peripherals might actually start adding value. It generally matters gently caress-all if your mouse has 1ms of latency vs 2, but if you're playing a streamed game then you can have 1ms worse network/encode/render/display latency before you notice.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Schadenboner posted:

Wish someone would buy up your lovely Posting patent portfolio.
I demand royalties for this post.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
shitposting is prior art

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

As it turns out, my account is old enough that my patents are expiring.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

jit bull transpile posted:

N64 had the best controller unless you have tiny baby hands.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Z triggered

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a thing that can be two things depending on the situation

no i must use it like both of those things in every situation

WHY NOT WORKING

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

shame about those lefties though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

a thing that can be two things depending on the situation

no i must use it like both of those things in every situation

WHY NOT WORKING

the n64 controller was a failed transitional design

all modern controllers have an equal or greater number of buttons and joysticks which are all accessible from a single hand position

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

which are all accessible from a single hand position
not if youre the current president of the united states lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Steam controller added some buttons to the back grip which is a good idea IMO, dualshock 5 ought to copy that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the thing that hosed all pc game controller support has been that there is no standard controller. console controllers are standardized, developers know and test what the customers are using.

let’s see if google can avoid the mistake of bring-your-own-controller (they won’t)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

the thing that hosed all pc game controller support has been that there is no standard controller. console controllers are standardized, developers know and test what the customers are using.

Wrong. The standard controller from 2005 onwards is the Microsoft Xbox 360 controller, with the Xbox One controller functioning as the same controller with a fixed d-pad.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Bulgakov posted:

a nest that isn't internet connected and instead is just a not so terrible as typical programmable thermostat seems like a nice thing

but they hosed it up on a google-scale

the #1 goal of any nest or google hardware product is to spy on you

the thermostat thing is just a side dish

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

what's wrong with a normal programmable thermostat

other than that it keeps flashing 12:00 because dad hasnt figured out how to program it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Wrong. The standard controller from 2005 onwards is the Microsoft Xbox 360 controller, with the Xbox One controller functioning as the same controller with a fixed d-pad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

other than that it keeps flashing 12:00 because dad hasnt figured out how to program it

they suck rear end, have batteries that wear out, impossible to program, no remote control

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

i have to get out of bed it i am slightly too warm or too cold like i'm living in the 1800s or something instead of just adjusting the temperature with my phone like a normal person

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

in ten years I've changed the single aa battery in my thermostat exactly twice and programming it is a matter of pushing the button next to the thing I want it to do

where are people getting these Byzantine thermostats

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't know if you've noticed but the yospos gimmick is unironically living life like the b&w hard way in infomercials

they have difficulty coping...

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the standard controller for the pc is a joystick and it plugs into the da-15 game port :colbert:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

in ten years I've changed the single aa battery in my thermostat exactly twice and programming it is a matter of pushing the button next to the thing I want it to do

where are people getting these Byzantine thermostats

ya my battery died once, called maintenance and they came and put a new one in

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
old people thermostats are powered by batteries unlike cool new smart thermostats which are powered by magical jo crystals

new construction does tend to have 24vac wires but otherwise you gotta like install a transformer somewhere and run wires to it and it's kind of a pain in the @$$

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
actually my thermostat is powered by a bimetal spring, when it moves enough a mercury switch turns on or off

v. need suiting, never have to change the battery

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I set my thermostat once when I bought my house.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
sorry you're too poor to afford a nest.

although the new ones that play audio ads when they detect movement are pretty lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beast of Bourbon posted:

although the new ones that play audio ads when they detect movement are pretty lol

Too poor to afford, or rich enough not to need to put dumb poo poo on his walls?

:thunk:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i refuse to believe this is real

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

poty posted:

i refuse to believe this is real
why?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the new ones that play audio ads when they detect movement are pretty lol

cant tell if this is a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
can't wait to get owned in court because my s.o. was able to subpoena all of the nest recordings in which I'm chatting up the hunnies

• Locked thread