Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guerrilla didn’t say there was any DLC planned for HZD right off the bat either, but that changed pretty quickly once Horizon became a smash megahit. I could see a similarly styled expansion for God of War down the line since it’s on track to become the most successful PS4 exclusive ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I strongly appreciate a studio that creates a game that can reasonably be called "a complete package" and not a game with a vague promise of support and a nagging wonder of what was stripped from the main game to make into DLC.

I'll of course have to take that back if there is any significant DLC.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
First lovely thing I've found in the game: if you kill a Traveler (or any important monster) but die while finishing him/while Atreus kills him the game saves right after and you've lost the loot forever.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’ll buy dlc if it happens but I like the idea of releasing a complete experience up front

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Kawabata posted:

First lovely thing I've found in the game: if you kill a Traveler (or any important monster) but die while finishing him/while Atreus kills him the game saves right after and you've lost the loot forever.

Go to the dwarves, there’s a “missed loot” option in their shop

The game ends on a big cliffhanger and leaves a lot of unanswered questions, I can only see them doing non main story related DLCs. Can’t wait for GoW 6

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 25, 2018

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Go to the dwarves, there’s a “missed loot” option in their shop

holy poo poo they thought about that too? :)

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I had so much fun with this game. I loved the story, the gameplay, everything. Then I hit the grind of tier 2 Muspelheim challenges, and that is some unfun poo poo right there. I'm not doing a gear grind in a single player game I already beat.

Thanks for the fun God of War, but you'll never be a platinum trophy for me.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's pretty genius when sometimes your last hit is throwing people hundreds of feet or blowing them up.

Loot scatters into weird places / through textures. And some of it is once in a game stuff, like amulets or runic attacks.

They thought of everything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just finished the game. Final boss was ehhhhhhhhhhh

The big hook at the end had me howling with laughter though

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so is god of war 4: 2 Ragnarok, or will it be god of war 4: 3 Ragnarok

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kin posted:

So after doing the mist rewards I think I might actually go ahead and platinum this.

The ravens might not even feel as tedious after the mist stuff.

The loot stuff is still the weakest part of the game though. So much needles grinding for items that aren't even that good.

I know I'm playing on easy, but at the end of the game I don't think there's any real variety in combat gameplay achieved by having different stats.

Like I spam the boy to inflict stun, but I still use the summons, throw the axe and switch from weapon to weapon. I also use the runic powers too and I'm tailoring my approach based on enemy rather than my stats.

Yeah the loot just pretty much feels like an attempt to make collectibles feel less vapid. I find getting to the loot enjoyable more often than not which is what is actually important though. I'd rather have fun getting to a loot chest that is full of trash, than be bored getting to some great item.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So people keep talking about something called "Witch Time" and is this a story mandated power or an optional reward item or what? I just got the second Arrow upgrade for BOY. About how far into the main plot am I?

Also I just unlocked Muspelheim, should I check it out right away

ufarn
May 30, 2009

precision posted:

So people keep talking about something called "Witch Time" and is this a story mandated power or an optional reward item or what? I just got the second Arrow upgrade for BOY. About how far into the main plot am I?

Muspelheim is prett easy for the most part, it shouldn’t be difficulty that deters you.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the loot just pretty much feels like an attempt to make collectibles feel less vapid. I find getting to the loot enjoyable more often than not which is what is actually important though. I'd rather have fun getting to a loot chest that is full of trash, than be bored getting to some great item.

I dunno, i've just tried going back for the ravens and gave up after the first 1 because it felt so pointless. Then looking at my list of things, it's littered with treasure chest gaps that serve no enjoyable gameplay altering benefit to hunt out other than OCD.

It makes me think that the game is always going to be a one and done for me because the effort of starting from scratch for all of this just seems so dauntingly tedious.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

precision posted:

There's a relic in Elf rear end in a top hat World that lets you slow down time if you dodge at the literal last second.

There's also a R1+O Rune that lets you just do it whenever though I literally always forget that button even exists.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The gear management is a bit tiresome, there's a lot of individual stuff to keep track of (crafting, upgrading gear, slotting gems, slotting relics, upgrading relics, upgrading pommel) and I always just end up using the gear that has the nicest spread of stats anyway. It ends up feeling like busywork for not really much tangible gain once you actually get into combat.

I haven't had the chance to play as much as I want - I've finished Alfheim and done the first two Dwarf sidequests (both were very cool) and it feels like I'm still only scratching the surface. The game is absolutely huge, the work that must have gone into this is insane...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ufarn posted:

Muspelheim is prett easy for the most part, it shouldn’t be difficulty that deters you.

I think the only one that gave me any difficulty (apart from the endboss) was the challenge where you had to avoid getting hit.
Is Muspelheim repeatable by the way? There's a couple of challenges in there that are fun as all hell.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Bardeh posted:

The gear management is a bit tiresome, there's a lot of individual stuff to keep track of (crafting, upgrading gear, slotting gems, slotting relics, upgrading relics, upgrading pommel) and I always just end up using the gear that has the nicest spread of stats anyway. It ends up feeling like busywork for not really much tangible gain once you actually get into combat.

I haven't had the chance to play as much as I want - I've finished Alfheim and done the first two Dwarf sidequests (both were very cool) and it feels like I'm still only scratching the surface. The game is absolutely huge, the work that must have gone into this is insane...

Yeah the level of detail on small things like walls and doors makes me wonder how hard and how long they have worked to design such a huge and detailed world. Well we know how long- more than 5 years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also weird how easy it is to miss that you can upgrade you Runic attacks.

Upgrade your Runic attacks!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

precision posted:

It's also weird how easy it is to miss that you can upgrade you Runic attacks.

Upgrade your Runic attacks!

Yeah but be careful because some runic attacks can take a long time to finish when fully upgraded and you can't roll cancel them. That got me killed pretty often.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
Boy, I think this might be my favourite game ever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thumbtacks posted:

so is god of war 4: 2 Ragnarok, or will it be god of war 4: 3 Ragnarok

Ragnarok will be the third game. There's way more in the myth before poo poo really hits the fan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think people are referring to the rune that slows time and calling it "witch time" because of Bayonetta.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The boy has started to get smug and I want to kick his rear end

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMYIpYpxEqY

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think people are referring to the rune that slows time and calling it "witch time" because of Bayonetta.

Yeah and somehow I never got anything like that, and I'm definitely past Alfheim (though I think I need to go back for one of the Treasure Maps)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Jesus

I don’t think the first two zones were designed with gmgow in mind

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

precision posted:

Yeah and somehow I never got anything like that, and I'm definitely past Alfheim (though I think I need to go back for one of the Treasure Maps)

Yeah I got it early, Alfheim most likely. It's useful but you get other competitive talismans and runes quickly so I wouldn't stress too much. Being a total sperg about collecting poo poo like I am is useful early though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s really genius how after the boy gets feisty and starts being a dick (late game) he stops responding to your bow shooting commands. It’s so sneaky and subtle that I thought my game was bugged until I realized what was happening. It’s so effective how it makes you feel so irritated about losing control of him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

It’s honestly not very cool. It barely slows time down and only works when your aiming the axe which doesn’t matter because aim assist is so generous.

If there’s some sort of dodge related time slow effect I’d be all over it but I haven’t found anything like that.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 26, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s really genius how after the boy gets feisty and starts being a dick (late game) he stops responding to your bow shooting commands. It’s so sneaky and subtle that I thought my game was bugged until I realized what was happening. It’s so effective how it makes you feel so irritated about losing control of him.

When he starts a brawl with the loving soul eater I nearly died. I wasn't ready for it. This was after the last fight where he blew his magic and started to fire randomly at poo poo, the little bastard.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

JBP posted:

When he starts a brawl with the loving soul eater I nearly died. I wasn't ready for it. This was after the last fight where he blew his magic and started to fire randomly at poo poo, the little bastard.

Haha yep, exact same thing happened to me. I found myself wishing for Kratos to scream at the little poo poo a lot more during this chunk of the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My girlfriend walked by and heard me saying "I'll give you whatever you ratty little motherfucker" and asked if my son and I were having issues to which I replied "tend to your own business woman!"

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Question and spoiler about something you get about halfway in.

So I notice the Chaos blades have a Runic stat instead of Strength. Do I increase damage by increasing that instead for these?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kilometers Davis posted:

I get what they were going for with that bit (the knowledge of his godhood is going to his head and it's making him an rear end in a top hat in the way most gods are) but I don't think it was executed very well. It just felt so sudden and grossly out-of-character.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It’s honestly not very cool. It barely slows time down and only works when your aiming the axe which doesn’t matter because aim assist is so generous.

If there’s some sort of dodge related time slow effect I’d be all over it but I haven’t found anything like that.

The rune I have slows time after perfect dodges, it works exactly like witch time and has nothing to do with aiming. It even adds a purplish hue to the screen, all that's missing is a superimposed ticking clock. I think I got it somewhere in Alfheim.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Republicans posted:

I get what they were going for with that bit (the knowledge of his godhood is going to his head and it's making him an rear end in a top hat in the way most gods are) but I don't think it was executed very well. It just felt so sudden and grossly out-of-character.

I think the best explanation is he’s a kid, kids can be dumb, especially when they get excuses to power trip.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I took it as more that much like not knowing he was a god was causing him some real physical harm, there’s some sort of real change, including psychological, in knowing you’re a God. And that part of godhood is being a gigantic loving insolent prick, and only a few learn to tame it and become mature/responsible in spite of their nature.

Like how going to the dark side in Star Wars amplifies all your worst tendencies and turns you into a megalomaniac.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Watching the beginning (the Stranger fight) changes a lot after you’ve beaten the game, I dig it

Oh my god you can see the blades wrapped up and hidden when you grab BOY from under the house lmao

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cory Barlow says no DLC is currently planned and in general a game of this size and development scale would have already begun working on the first DLC like a year ago.

If we ever get GoW DLC, it won't be in 2018.