Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

It’d be nice if I could go more than a week before being unable to lift anything. DLed 115kg 4x4 last week and fairly happy (coming off hosed hamstrings), then I played squash on Friday with someone 100x better than me and now I’m sore and my shoulder/bicep hurts and can’t pick up more than 110kg lmao.

The week before last I did something to my elbow doing pull downs. Am I dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bacontotem posted:

Picked up heavy things today. Had to drop a monster poop afterwords.

This may be my favorite part of lifting

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Firos posted:

It’d be nice if I could go more than a week before being unable to lift anything. DLed 115kg 4x4 last week and fairly happy (coming off hosed hamstrings), then I played squash on Friday with someone 100x better than me and now I’m sore and my shoulder/bicep hurts and can’t pick up more than 110kg lmao.

The week before last I did something to my elbow doing pull downs. Am I dying?

Maybe you’re not warming up enough before lifting? Or maybe your form is wrong...

I just went 13 days without deadlifting and came back to the same weight, 245lbs, no problems, added some reps

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

It's deadlift day today. Jellofication of everything will be soon.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Sunday is a day of rest you loving heathen

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ElectricSheep posted:

This may be my favorite part of lifting

Lift hard, poo poo hard.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hadn't deadlifted in months (barely been to the gym, really). Get back in this week a bit, finally doing deadlifts today. Keeping it low at 225.

Doing just fine for 3 sets.
loving gym vulture hangs out behind me for a the third set, tells me to put my shoes on after it.
I do.

First loving rep of the next set. *pop*
Set the bar down lay straight down.
Bitch, this is what I was trying to avoid!!

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Omnikin posted:

Sunday is a day of rest you loving heathen

of rest after you deadlifted*

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hadn't deadlifted in months (barely been to the gym, really). Get back in this week a bit, finally doing deadlifts today. Keeping it low at 225.

loving gym vulture hangs out behind me for a the third set, tells me to put my shoes on after it.
I do.

Here, let me teach you a nice little phrase to help with awkward interactions like this in the future.

"Mind your own loving business" preferably with a finger jabbed into the other individual's chest.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I do.

I bet you didn’t even tell him

You just smiled and pretended it was all ok

Lol at listening to advice at the gym. Just lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I assumed this was an employee in which case it's still your own problem for not spending $20 on chucks to deadlift in

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Sorry about ur back thio

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm gonna start lifting in toe shoes.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
++toe shoes

I should get another pair of toe shoes to lift in....

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
lift in red pumps

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It was indeed an employee, and I had just forgotten my regular gym shoes. If i don't have those, I'd prefer to just lift in my socks.

I've learned how to deal with dumbass injuries now, so I'm already at ~75% (instead of continuing my set, like the first time).

Will try deads again next weekend.
With the proper shoes.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Tell any staff member who tells u to deadlift in shoes to go gently caress themselves. Angrily.

I deadlifted im toe shoes for a good long time. Theyre amazing. I only stopped wearing them because now i go to a gym that allows me to be barefoot

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Gonna start Average to Savage tomorrow. Already dreading that 15+ set but I've been playing with too many triples lately so it'll be good for me.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Goddamn it, shoulder problems.

I think it's a result of my left shoulder not having the mobility needed to properly hold a low back squat and when I went heavy last week putting too much pressure on it.

No lack of mobility, just a breif pain, I don't want to say sharp and I don't want to say dull, occasionally and especially if my elbow is going back towards my spine.

Guess I'll be taking a few days off :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chief McHeath posted:

Goddamn it, shoulder problems.

I think it's a result of my left shoulder not having the mobility needed to properly hold a low back squat and when I went heavy last week putting too much pressure on it.

No lack of mobility, just a breif pain, I don't want to say sharp and I don't want to say dull, occasionally and especially if my elbow is going back towards my spine.

Guess I'll be taking a few days off :(

Been four and a half months off upper body so far for me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I figured out how not to injure myself deadlifting.

Watched a dude load the bar up to 5 1/2 plates. He then sat on the weights on one side for 15 minutes. Then, when enough people had filed out of the room and new faces filed in, he deloaded to 3 plates and started his set.

The man has it figured out. He looks like he's lifting huge, then he just unloads the weight to a number he's comfortable with.
Loophole found :smuggo:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Maybe he was doing sets in his mind

I read it can be almost as effective as doing the work, you don’t know him

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Ooooh so that's how the mind muscle connection actually works.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I mean.

He was bigger than me so it must work

*shorter, which is somethin', but his legs were goddam tree trunks.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my gf has fallen victim to IG faux fitness thots who use machines in bizarre, questionably effective, but unique ways in order to attract followers. do i just wait for her to injure herself going backwards on a hamstring curl machine, or do i tell her it’s weird?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
At the weights I assume she is using them she probably won't injure herself.

Also you can't win, if you tell her it looks dumb now you are an rear end. If you wait and she finds out herself she looks dumb, you'll be an rear end for not telling her earlier.

Best case scenario is that she will get a nice big butt like those insta chicks.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Helios Grime posted:

Best case scenario is that she will get a nice big butt like those insta chicks.
lol right after a bowflex turns me into mr olympia

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Hey, I did say best case scenario. :)

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

DOMed to hell and back from sunday. Felt like a corgi all day. All stairs were an ordeal. good poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Protip: Don't set the safety pins too high on squats. Unless you like hearing a large clank and going OHSHIT.

Good thing I didn't have weight on the bar :smug:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Saw a guy do that yesterday- had like 450 on the bar and was BARELY into quarter squat position when CLANG. He kept going and smashing into the safeties repeatedly. No idea

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Some days u just need a good CLANG

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I am in love with kimchi. Great to have spicy savoury veg on hand whenever I want it, I just eat that poo poo right out of the jar

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vargatron posted:

Protip: Don't set the safety pins too high on squats. Unless you like hearing a large clank and going OHSHIT.

Good thing I didn't have weight on the bar :smug:

CLANK

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

MikeCrotch posted:

I am in love with kimchi. Great to have spicy savoury veg on hand whenever I want it, I just eat that poo poo right out of the jar

Honestly Koreans know what’s up when it comes to food. They make the best fried chicken and that gochujang is great on anything.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Some days u just need a good CLANG

"Klang" is Khmer for "strong."

I am not making that up.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What’s up with all these gym bros being crazy pro-military and reactionary. Wendler, Rippetoe, etc always talking about some dumb bullshit about a man has to be this or that and skinny jeans are not manly. My gym even has marine flags waving around. Why can’t they chill out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mean weightlifting culture is hyper masculine and you got a lot of dudes who juice and have anger issues.

Feeling pretty jazzed right now. Just finished 200lbs 1x5 on deadlift and I started out at 135 in February.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I saw Pumping Iron over the weekend and even though it’s totally masturbatory and Arnold is a giant rear end in a top hat he inspired me to push extra hard. It’s worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vargatron posted:

I mean weightlifting culture is hyper masculine and you got a lot of dudes who juice and have anger issues.

The gym is probably the most chilled out environment I've ever spent a lot of time in. All the juiced up monsters have turned out to be really nice guys.

Compared to football, rugby or anything nerdy or online it's an absolute brotopia.