Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
But Mario and Luigi would have been so welcome in Federation era Australia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Valve denied my DayZ refund so I lodged an ACCC complaint. Hopefully the ACCC goes after them again soon.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
L E S T . W E . F O R G E T .
(Avengers: Infinity War, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Age of Ultron...)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Idk why any of you dopes buy early access or pre order games like there's so many great older games out there that you haven't played but nope imma slap down 100$ on No Man's Sky

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bigis posted:

Each poo poo, Valve. I've submitted a refund request for DayZ, I wonder if I'll get my money back.

I actually pulled out the ACL on my Star Citizen purchase that I made way back when it was still something new and to be believed as a fancier multiplayer Wing Commander. They denied me twice saying they can't "offer you a refund at this time" and then "you are not entitled to a refund at this time" and then immediately went to "we will grant you a refund at our discretion" as soon as I went ACL and ACCC guys.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

I actually pulled out the ACL on my Star Citizen purchase that I made way back when it was still something new and to be believed as a fancier multiplayer Wing Commander. They denied me twice saying they can't "offer you a refund at this time" and then "you are not entitled to a refund at this time" and then immediately went to "we will grant you a refund at our discretion" as soon as I went ACL and ACCC guys.

When you look into how difficult it is for Americans to do things as simple as cancelling an Xbox live subscription from Microsoft you realize how good strong consumer laws are.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
There’s no harm in buying early access games when you’re legally covered by the ACL.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Cartoon posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand anime is complete garbage fire poo poo but...

Mario is not anime, please enjoy the art for its profound, evocative message.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

Australian War Memorial director Brendan Nelson believes military personnel who helped “stop the boats” under the Abbott government’s asylum-seeker crackdown should be honoured in the national memorial in Canberra.

Dr Nelson, who is working on a proposal for a $500 million expansion of the AWM, said personnel who protected the nation’s borders should have their story told along with the Diggers who fought in armed conflicts

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cartoon posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand anime is complete garbage fire poo poo but...

Notable anime hero Super Mario

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Good, the sooner this whole Anzac Day thing becomes a farce the sooner people can start treating it like a meaningless day off work

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

When you look into how difficult it is for Americans to do things as simple as cancelling an Xbox live subscription from Microsoft you realize how good strong consumer laws are.

I literally had to let a debit card expire to stop them here, it was impossible to find the magic STOP THIS button. Might have improved since, but gently caress them ever getting my cash again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Only if their honors are awarded by Knight Prince Phillip.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

ewe2 posted:

I literally had to let a debit card expire to stop them here, it was impossible to find the magic STOP THIS button. Might have improved since, but gently caress them ever getting my cash again.

I stopped and started mine a number of times back when I had one in the early Xbox 360 days - sure you couldn't do it from the console but it was pretty easy to stop from Xbox.com

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

norp posted:

Good, the sooner this whole Anzac Day thing becomes a farce the sooner people can start treating it like a meaningless day off work

It'll be great when in 60 years time the whole asylum seeker thing is considered a massive stain on the national consciousness and there's a gilded memorial glorifying a national atrocity

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Swear to God I read this as "Australian War criminal Brendan Nelson". That's some strong Pavlovian association right there. Afaik he wasn't even in the army.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

David Marr and the Anzac Day Spray:

quote:

This is not a museum. It’s what they call in the trade these days, an experience. If you want to explain slavery and civil rights in America or the battles on the western front, this is what you do. Walls light up. Old photographs fade into freshly filmed live action. Actors struggle and die. Orchestras play. Howitzers blaze away. Gas seeps through the floor.

A few glass cases hold mementos of battles fought round here. There are guns and badges and rusted weapons, some dug up on the site. My grandfather Jack’s war diaries are beautifully preserved here, one held together with a safety pin as it has been for a century.

But the Monash Centre is not for scholars. This is entertainment, cutting edge and thrilling in its way, but entertainment. Crowds will no doubt come. Tour operators are already rejigging their itineraries to fit an hour or so for their customers in this dazzling maze.

But war buffs should stay out in the battlefields. Devotees of the great general will learn nothing new about their hero here. True, war isn’t glorified. But there’s hardly a breath of politics in the exhibition. It’s all battles and no scandal.

That’s by design. That Australia was being torn apart by conscription campaigns isn’t explored. That old Keith Murdoch tried to have Monash sacked as an uppity Jew goes unmentioned. Dud generals who slaughtered their men hardly get a guernsey. Addressed only by implication is the great question of what this war was really all about.

But it’s getting late. In an hour or so the first figures will appear on the hill for what’s expected to be the biggest Anzac Day dawn service ever. Sniffer dogs are running through the press centre. French soldiers with heavy weapons are patrolling the grounds. The rain is holding off.

There is an Australian headstone that one or two may see as they leave in daylight or glimpse for a few seconds projected on the underground walls of the centre. It’s the grave of 24-year old Private WL Rae on which his parents paid to have inscribed: “Another life lost hearts broken for what.”

For what indeed.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Federal Government will ditch its plan to lift the Medicare levy from 2 per cent to 2.5 per cent. Treasurer Scott Morrison said the measure would ensure the NDIS was fully funded, and would have raised $8 billion over four years from July 2019.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Dropping the planned tax increase so they can cut income tax while they try to convince the Senate crossbench to cut corporate taxes

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol labour’s defence spokesperson Gormless Drone Unit 23 has backed Brendan Nelson’s fuckwit shitbrained idiocy to build a memorial to our first line of defence in the war on human rights

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lol labour’s defence spokesperson Gormless Drone Unit 23 has backed Brendan Nelson’s fuckwit shitbrained idiocy to build a memorial to our first line of defence in the war on human rights

If that's the way we're going then I think we need to take it further and build a proud stone memorial to all the serco workers who staffed our offshore concentration camps.

In fact forget the Anzac part, make it national "gently caress off we're full" day.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hereby propose new legislation to make it legal to murder anyone who can't produce proof of citizenship on April 25th every year in any variety of methods suitable for a Purge movie.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How they gonna tell their story when they don't talk about on water matters

hiddenmovement posted:

It'll be great when in 60 years time the whole asylum seeker thing is considered a massive stain on the national consciousness and there's a gilded memorial glorifying a national atrocity

Mr optimist over here with the giant smile and rainbow suspenders

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 25, 2018

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Bet a million $ there’s more to the marles AWM story than what’s being presented atm

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Morrison On Finding Other Means To Fund NDIS posted:

But Treasurer Scott Morrison will tell a business lunch today that the proposal has been scrapped, and the money will be sourced through additional unexpected revenue.

We are either going to privatise something or cut welfare Lmao.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's all that extra income tax that they get from wage growth. Oh that didn't happen and we're also planning on cutting income taxes? :shrug:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Why the gently caress does The West Australian get so up in arms about sharks, I swear when I walk past the sandwich board at the newsagency there's a new shark headline at least once a week. Today it was 'VICTIMS BLAMED FOR SHARK ATTACK', which I like to imagine involved someone suggesting that those surfers knew what they were doing when they wore such skin-tight wetsuits, what did they expect going out onto the water dressed so enticingly seal-like?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gentleman Baller posted:

Mario is not anime, please enjoy the art for its profound, evocative message.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Notable anime hero Super Mario
Trap sprung.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Labor confirmed they won't raise the Medicare levy on rich people.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Labor confirmed they won't raise the Medicare levy on rich people.

hopefully they'll just raise income taxes instead :d:D

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Before Times posted:

hopefully they'll just execute them and seize their estates instead :d:D

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

hopefully they'll just raise income taxes instead :d:D

They've already announced they want to lower income tax.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ten Becquerels posted:

Why the gently caress does The West Australian get so up in arms about sharks, I swear when I walk past the sandwich board at the newsagency there's a new shark headline at least once a week. Today it was 'VICTIMS BLAMED FOR SHARK ATTACK', which I like to imagine involved someone suggesting that those surfers knew what they were doing when they wore such skin-tight wetsuits, what did they expect going out onto the water dressed so enticingly seal-like?

Im pretty sure a shark attack is one of the only times you can legitimately blame the victim, so the headline is correct.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Insert here that batshit oped in the relegraph about how we need to reclaim the sea

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The emergence of instant cash loan machines across parts of New South Wales has sparked fears about low-income families being potentially caught in a debt trap.

The machines, which look like ATMs, only require identification and bank details before users are approved for cash loans almost immediately.

Financial counsellors have expressed concern about the devices, which they say appear to be popping up in low socio-economic areas.

The instant loan machines, which appear to only exist in NSW, have emerged in parts of Wollongong, south-western Sydney, the Central Coast and Hunter regions.

The company that runs the devices states on its website that its machines "have been strategically positioned in local shopping areas to make things easy".

Loan amounts vary from $50 to $1,000, with limits increasing when users access the machine numerous times.

People have one to three months to pay the loan back.

Shop attendants at one tobacco store where a machine was located told the ABC the machines had proven popular, but noted a large proportion of users were from a low-income background.

Concern machines are targeting vulnerable people

NSW Financial Counsellors Association chairman Graham Smith said he was worried disadvantaged communities across NSW were being targeted.

He said the association had been notified about three of the machines alone at Cessnock in the Hunter region.

"There are two smoke shops, and in one shop there is one [machine], and in another shop there is two. Usually there is a queue out the door around Christmas time," Mr Smith said.

"Unfortunately I think these machines are targeting the most vulnerable in our community, people on benefits who are looking at a way of getting some quick cash that I don't think they can afford in the long run."

Mr Smith said people needed to exercise caution when it came to any quick loan schemes.

"It's an area of our society where people are struggling, and with electricity bills increasing, people have got less and less money, and going to one of these organisations and getting a loan can often be a deep financial trap," he said.

Need for greater protections, Labor says
Labor MPs in Wollongong and Newcastle have shared concerns about the instant loan machines appearing in their local communities, and want to see stronger protections for vulnerable people.

The machines are legal and are regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission in the same way as other payday lenders.

Following a 2015 Commonwealth review of small amount credit contract laws, draft reforms were released in October that proposed imposing caps on payments that could be made.

But Opposition spokesman for regional services, Whitlam MP Stephen Jones, said a number of dissenting Coalition MPs had "scuttled any plan to have a Government-led initiative".

He warned if action was not taken, more instant loan machines would likely pop up in disadvantaged areas.

"We've seen with the spread of payday lending that these shops spring up all over the place where there's economic hardship," Mr Jones said.

"I think we need to have a good hard look at what is being done here to ensure that we don't make a bad situation worse."

A spokesman for the Assistant Minister to the Treasurer, Michael Sukkar, said the Government was considering submissions received on the draft laws, and it would push forward with legislation this year.

Any changes would take effect 12 months after the passage of new laws.

The company that owns the instant loan machines, Cash N Go, was contacted for comment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jesus Christ that's loving evil.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Agreed. I've told him about using quote tags but he just doesn't listen

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Can't even spellcheck their privacy policy mister speaker

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

How ling till they pop up near an RSL full of pokies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bell jar posted:

Can't even spellcheck their privacy policy mister speaker

Maybe that machine is the one installed in brothels?

• Locked thread