Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Cain here is the cover of his new book.

I was just about to post that so here's the Community site link instead with some extra closeups:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/25/brand-new-cover-art-revealed-apr25/

Still, new Cain novel. Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

I was just about to post that so here's the Community site link instead with some extra closeups:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/25/brand-new-cover-art-revealed-apr25/

Still, new Cain novel. Hell yes.

Re-release the Cain mini you Emperor-forsaken bastards!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Schadenboner posted:

E: I've been reading the Flashman books which were listed somewhere as a big inspiration for Cain, and they are. Only with a lot more racism and raping? And I do "get" that Flashman is supposed to be a loving million years old and a remnant of his time and very explicitly not a hero and so forth, and I'm really enjoying the books, but goddamn. My rear end in a top hat is getting hella stronger from the clench I do each time he drops an n-bomb.

EE: Apropos of nothing in particular, my view on Cain has always been that he is (by any objective standard) a legitimate hero. It's just that he's got a Han Solo thing going where he buys into himself not being a hero.

The major difference between Flashman and Cain is that the latter is actually a hero. Flashman is funny precisely because it's a Victorian era Boy's Own Adventure style hero purely due to his own propaganda and luck. Flashman is genuinely a coward and reprobate who in no way deserves his reputation or anyone respect. Cain is a self effacing hero who can't live up to the Imperial ideal of a hero because he's actually a human.

I know some people prefer Flashman because it's actually dark and they feel the Cain version is a little too earnest. If you're reading more than 1 of them though it's nice to keep it lighter.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo new Cain.

I guess Sandy Mitchell got the memo that BL wasn't staffed by dicks anymore.

Also, I hope he finishes the RPG tie in series.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, I hope he finishes the RPG tie in series.

:same:

(I mean, he won't because the FFG RPGs are a closed product line and at least parts of it are apparently Officially Disavowed, but: :same:)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schadenboner posted:

:same:

(I mean, he won't because the FFG RPGs are a closed product line and at least parts of it are apparently Officially Disavowed, but: :same:)

Maybe he will make it for the new Wrath and Glory RPG.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Cain here is the cover of his new book.

Whoa whoa whoa, we’re getting a new Cain book? What’s the ETA?

Schadenboner posted:

Re-release the Cain mini you Emperor-forsaken bastards!

I’ve got that mini. I spoke to the manager of my local GW store and he said that after recent legal kerfuffles, the current GW policy is to not release minis unless there’s tabletop stat lines released for them simultaneously, and vice versa.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 25, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got that mini. I spoke to the manager of my local GW store and he said that after recent legal kerfuffles, the current GW policy is to not release minis unless there’s tabletop stat lines released for them simultaneously, and vice versa.

Slap the store manager and tell him to tell GW to go be the change they want to see in the world.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished Cadia Stands. I enjoyed the fact I got to learn first hand what happened to usher in the current edition, I guess. It's hard to read IG from anyone other than Abnett.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I want to see Cain vs Eldar. Or some decently characterised Chaos Marines, 'cos that'd be funny.

Just as long as it's not loving tyrannids again.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I want to see Cain vs Eldar. Or some decently characterised Chaos Marines, 'cos that'd be funny.

Just as long as it's not loving tyrannids again.

Cain vs Newcrons is at the top of my wishlist.
I'd love to find out how Cain would react to instead of facing enigmatic metal warriors doing enigmatic things, came face to face to an Overlord that out-:smuggo: even him.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, the novels have mentioned him encountering Dark Eldar enough times that it's about drat time we got a Dark Eldar novel with him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groetgaffel posted:

Cain vs Newcrons is at the top of my wishlist.
I'd love to find out how Cain would react to instead of facing enigmatic metal warriors doing enigmatic things, came face to face to an Overlord that out-:smuggo: even him.

Trazyn the Infinite.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Xenomrph posted:

Trazyn the Infinite.

How would this not end with Cain in a display case?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

How would this not end with Cain in a display case?

He's much better conversation.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
After a week Trayzan gets sick of Jurgen's BO after being fermented in the case and kicks them out.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Actually, given the situations Cain finds himself in on the regular, I would think Trayzn would assign a squad of Necrons with stasis chambers to follow him around. Why go hunting afield when you know someone who draws poo poo to him like a black hole? By the end of the first week Trayzn would get a report that they have two Chaos titans, a gargant, an Avatar of Khaine, and several Tyranid hive ships in stasis.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
However, if I had known how much repetition there would be in the new Cain book, I would have run screaming the other way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hustlin Floh posted:

However, if I had known how much repetition there would be in the new Cain book, I would have run screaming the other way.

The previous novels didn't prepare you ?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

None given but I assume end of the year at least. Dont think the book is even up on the BL site yet.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
The cover is perfect. Excellent poo poo-eating grin. I'm guessing August as it's the end of the month it will be August as we're due to see another months worth of coming soon on the BL website.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ended up picking up Palace of the Plague Lord from a used book store a few days ago and read through it. Some of the combat scenes get a little repetitive, but I thought it was a good look at Chaos all the way through, even though it's 11 years old by now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deptfordx posted:

Honestly, if anyone doesn't enjoy a series where the protagonist fights a duel with psychic space Hitler that ends with him punting him over a cliff edge, lampshaded with a footnote from a third party Historian saying "No this sounds like ridiculous propaganda BS, but no really, the whole thing was caught on tape" then I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

the annotations are my favorite part of the cain stories.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

The previous novels didn't prepare you ?

:thejoke:

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Just finished the two ADB Black Legion books. Any word on when the third will be released? I really enjoyed how they show Chaos Marines in a different light than I've usually viewed them, with a lot more depth and not just the faceless villans. Especially like how it fleshes out Abbadon. Really disliked his character in the HH series, but ADB does a good job writing him as a protagonist. Almost makes me want to start a Black Legion army at my LGS's upcoming escalation league.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Mef989 posted:

Just finished the two ADB Black Legion books. Any word on when the third will be released? I really enjoyed how they show Chaos Marines in a different light than I've usually viewed them, with a lot more depth and not just the faceless villans. Especially like how it fleshes out Abbadon. Really disliked his character in the HH series, but ADB does a good job writing him as a protagonist. Almost makes me want to start a Black Legion army at my LGS's upcoming escalation league.

ADB's next book is an OG space marine chapter novel. No one knows what he has planned after that but he has said he is waiting to see what the studio does with Abbadon before committing to any more black legion books.

I reckon we are about 2 years off seeing another one if we are lucky.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The Black Legion books are frankly superb. Chaos Space Marines are consistently the best written and the best characterized, uh characters in 40k. Sure, the melancholia can get a bit samey sometimes, but it's still generally compelling and the weirdo extra chaos-y chaos space marines break it up a bit and keep things interesting.

Also Imperial Space Marines are just so loving dull to read in the hands of most authors

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't we get some fiction about pirate space marines getting all the booty? I like the red corsairs and I want more of them.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can't we get some fiction about pirate space marines getting all the booty? I like the red corsairs and I want more of them.

Id like to see a book on the ashen claws mini pirate empire that was revealed in outer dark, the ashen claws numbers dwindling to merely "chapter" sized was used as an insult so its assumed there's quite a few of them around.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
e: Yup

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 30, 2018

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

The Black Legion books are frankly superb. Chaos Space Marines are consistently the best written and the best characterized, uh characters in 40k. Sure, the melancholia can get a bit samey sometimes, but it's still generally compelling and the weirdo extra chaos-y chaos space marines break it up a bit and keep things interesting.

Also Imperial Space Marines are just so loving dull to read in the hands of most authors

The loyalist Marines portrayed in the Horus Heresy books I've read haven't been too bad so far, but CSM definitely give the author more room for personality which just makes them more enjoyable than post-human boy scouts. Are 40k books worse about this than Horus Heresy ones? I haven't read any of those, but did just started Dark Imperium and I can already kind of tell that there is definitely a different tone to it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just read the Night Lords trilogy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AndyElusive posted:

Just read the Night Lords trilogy.

I liked the Corsairs appearance in the second book.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mef989 posted:

The loyalist Marines portrayed in the Horus Heresy books I've read haven't been too bad so far, but CSM definitely give the author more room for personality which just makes them more enjoyable than post-human boy scouts. Are 40k books worse about this than Horus Heresy ones? I haven't read any of those, but did just started Dark Imperium and I can already kind of tell that there is definitely a different tone to it.

Dark Imperium is not very good but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if HH-era Marines were more interesting in general than 40k Marines. Been awhile since I have read a Horus Heresy book but that lines up pretty well with what I remember.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked the Corsairs appearance in the second book.

Blood Reaver is a ridiculous title.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Dark Imperium is not very good but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if HH-era Marines were more interesting in general than 40k Marines. Been awhile since I have read a Horus Heresy book but that lines up pretty well with what I remember.

Isn't that a plot point though? 30k marines had personalities and character traits, whereas in 40k they're carefully conditioned space monks filling their day following dogmatic procedures and rituals to make sure they never get any ideas again? I know Abnett made the boy scoutiest of the boy scout chapters awesome, but that was still the 30k era where they were encouraged to think and have depth.

Which is not to excuse the lovely writing that casts them as Generic Brother For Honour. It's still 40k afterall.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

Isn't that a plot point though? 30k marines had personalities and character traits, whereas in 40k they're carefully conditioned space monks filling their day following dogmatic procedures and rituals to make sure they never get any ideas again? I know Abnett made the boy scoutiest of the boy scout chapters awesome, but that was still the 30k era where they were encouraged to think and have depth.

Which is not to excuse the lovely writing that casts them as Generic Brother For Honour. It's still 40k afterall.

Is that supposed to be their thing now? I had never heard that but of fluff about their time being purposefully taken up so that they don't have the opportunity to think and fall to chaos. Makes sense I guess even if it makes for bad writting, although I thought that was the purpose of them splitting the legions into chapters. The Deathwatch Librarian in Eisenhorn didn't seem bad, but he was just a minor character.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Mef989 posted:

Is that supposed to be their thing now? I had never heard that but of fluff about their time being purposefully taken up so that they don't have the opportunity to think and fall to chaos. Makes sense I guess even if it makes for bad writting, although I thought that was the purpose of them splitting the legions into chapters. The Deathwatch Librarian in Eisenhorn didn't seem bad, but he was just a minor character.

I recall a variety of sources comparing the Legiones vs Chapter Astartes as being wholly different beasts, especially based on their chapter or origin. Something about more intensive hypno-indoctrination and a higher rate of Chaplain-led sessions and involvement in chapter command was definitely noted as a comparison, but I also think that part of their rest period involves hypnotic reinforcement of loyalty for some of the Second+ founding chapters? Might have been in Iron Snakes, or Angels of Darkness.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd also like to say that The Emperor's Gift, by ADB, makes the most boring of 40k chapters interesting. It's all about the writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ADB just knows how to write post human meat slabs. Armageddon Omnibus is the best space marine battles book by a mile.