Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Watt is way too brand conscious to ever take a political stand about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think Watt and Gronk would make a good road trip movie.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Play posted:

Do you know how this works exactly? Do I only need to use the VPN on signup, only while I'm actually watching games, or both?

I'd imagine while watching since any region-locked content worth a drat will first determine where you are in the world based on your IP before letting you do anything.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

King Hong Kong posted:

Where I was, people only care about the 49ers and Seahawks except for the eighteen year old version of Metapod who hangs out at the gym, only wears Mariota jerseys, and always switches the TVs to the Titans.

Don't be shy slap that rear end then say your username

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The press is bashing the NFL so hard right now. Between that owner's meeting, Trump bullshit, the circus that is the NFL draft, and all the bullshit surrounding Josh Rosen and the NFL wanting to be able to control how players act, speak and comport themselves, they have totally hosed this up bad.

I really think the NFL is losing a huge chance right now to be on the right side of history and it wouldn't even take much, just a teeny tiny amount of balls. They look like a bunch of scared, stupid old men with sticks up their asses. I'm not sure I can even understand why they think sucking up to Trump will even work and they're throwing away this opportunity to do something "bold" (there's some branding for you) and drum up some real interest.

Then again what else is new

whypick1 posted:

I'd imagine while watching since any region-locked content worth a drat will first determine where you are in the world based on your IP before letting you do anything.

Alright I guess it's up to me to go on an odyssey to find the country with the best price and the most games, and then be sure to remember to adjust my VPN everytime I want to watch a bit of football. It's cool how I have to do this instead of just giving them money and being able to stream everything

Play fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 26, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I never want to hear the word 'intangibles' ever again.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Did you guys know that Woody Johnson is Trump's ambassador to the UK? wtf

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Yeah you need to be connected to the VPN before you go to stream a game. It’s not that hard to get around these things but they aren’t quite retarded enough to just do the location check once at signup and never again.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
one of the Rooney’s was Obama’s ambassador to Ireland.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He took a pretty definitive anti-hurricane stance :colbert:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Play posted:

I get your point but theoretically football has a much more general appeal than assault rifles

there are no "potential new fans' waiting in the wings for a more woke NFL. There are so many reasons to not support football if you're making some kind of moral claim that the decision to support Kaepernick/kneeling is likely not enough to change your mind. I'd argue that the only potential large untapped market for the NFL is women, and the issues around domestic violence are more likely to keep women away than a failure to support free speech and protest.

Unfortunately on the flip side, the pissy conservative diaper babies that poo poo their pants over people saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas" may cause a loud enough stink to matter.

That said, Dick's Sporting Goods' decline was probably not caused by conservative vitriol over gun policies--ending the sale of 'assault' rifles may hurt sales but they weren't a major source of revenue to begin with and the negative publicity over the Parkland shooter's purchase might have killed them--DSG was already struggling in the face of increasing competition from Amazon and other retailers and a sector-wide slowdown that led to them missing earnings estimates in Q4. That won't stop NRA bobbleheads from crowing over DSG's struggles, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

there are no "potential new fans' waiting in the wings for a more woke NFL. There are so many reasons to not support football if you're making some kind of moral claim that the decision to support Kaepernick/kneeling is likely not enough to change your mind. I'd argue that the only potential large untapped market for the NFL is women, and the issues around domestic violence are more likely to keep women away than a failure to support free speech and protest.

Unfortunately on the flip side, the pissy conservative diaper babies that poo poo their pants over people saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas" may cause a loud enough stink to matter.

That said, Dick's Sporting Goods' decline was probably not caused by conservative vitriol over gun policies--ending the sale of 'assault' rifles may hurt sales but they weren't a major source of revenue to begin with and the negative publicity over the Parkland shooter's purchase might have killed them--DSG was already struggling in the face of increasing competition from Amazon and other retailers and a sector-wide slowdown that led to them missing earnings estimates in Q4. That won't stop NRA bobbleheads from crowing over DSG's struggles, though.

Yeah, brick & mortar is really eating poo poo.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gatts posted:

I think Watt and Gronk would make a good road trip movie.

I’m thinking Tango and Cash remake

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/woman-reuben-foster-case-recants-domestic-violence-claim

Well. This is different.

quote:

Elissa Ennis, the former girlfriend (of Foster), released a statement through her attorney, Stephanie Rickard, in which she said she can prove Foster was not responsible for her injuries.

“(Foster) did not strike her, injure her or threaten her,” Rickard said in the statement.

Ennis’ injuries were the result of a physical fight with another woman, and that Foster tried to end his relationship with Ennis after he learned of the fight, Rickard said.

There is a video of that fight with another woman, according to Rickard.

“She was extremely upset and told him if he broke up with her she would ‘trash his career,’ ” Rickard said.

Rickard said after Ennis realized what she had done, she went back to the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s office and tried to recant her previous statement.

If true, it would explain why there was no mention or record of the injuries; they happened on a different night.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

there are no "potential new fans' waiting in the wings for a more woke NFL.

I agree with everything else you wrote but I not necessarily with this. I think it will take time but football will have to revamp it's image eventually anyways. Way less kids are playing football, players are silenced on social and political issues, and the NFL refuses to acknowledge the science on concussions. All of this stuff leaves a poo poo taste in people's mouths. I don't think it would happen overnight but football needs to shed its conservative image a little bit and take a page from the NBA. As it is the league looks like a dinosaur that won't survive the next decade, and reading the transcript from the owner's meeting basically proves as much.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What the hell? It's still the most popular and lucrative sport in the US.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On the flip side he cares about Nascar so much he created this abomination of a kitchen in his cabin.

No man who puts that much Nascar poo poo up in his kitchen is cool with anthem protesting. I'm convinced.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
There might be more chances for a college athlete to make an NFL team, but the average career is something like 3.5 years. Now think of all the big athletes in the NFL that play into their 30s and think about how that affects the average college athlete's career length in the NFL. Now consider that NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, and that the injury risk is a lot higher.

I just don't know that you can really say that it's the most lucrative sport in the US.

Unless you're talking about for the owners, and then, yeah. Of course it is. They are loving the players constantly in the CBA.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Coldforge posted:

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/woman-reuben-foster-case-recants-domestic-violence-claim

Well. This is different.

If true, it would explain why there was no mention or record of the injuries; they happened on a different night.

kinda explains why lynch was cagey about his answers, but who fuckin knows at this point

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

pyromance posted:

There might be more chances for a college athlete to make an NFL team, but the average career is something like 3.5 years. Now think of all the big athletes in the NFL that play into their 30s and think about how that affects the average college athlete's career length in the NFL. Now consider that NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, and that the injury risk is a lot higher.

I just don't know that you can really say that it's the most lucrative sport in the US.

Unless you're talking about for the owners, and then, yeah. Of course it is. They are loving the players constantly in the CBA.

I think he meant the league is lucrative, not that it's lucrative for the individual players (because that's a ridiculous statement given what the NBA is now)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kiimo posted:

No man who puts that much Nascar poo poo up in his kitchen is cool with anthem protesting. I'm convinced.

*cough*

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

kiimo posted:

On the flip side he cares about Nascar so much he created this abomination of a kitchen in his cabin.

No one who thinks this is a wise design choice deserves to own a home.

Weathered wood against stained wood, black kegerator doors next to stainless ice maker, and Slim Jim inspired furniture? Shameful.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Slow Graffiti posted:

No one who thinks this is a wise design choice deserves to own a home.

Weathered wood against stained wood, black kegerator doors next to stainless ice maker, and Slim Jim inspired furniture? Shameful.

Hooters remodel coming along nicely

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Spoeank posted:

kinda explains why lynch was cagey about his answers, but who fuckin knows at this point

Yeah, there's fairly equal probability that she was paid off as what she says is true.

Knowing the history that Santa Clara's legal offices and City Hall have with the 49ers, though, I'm personally inclined to believe the DA massively over-reached on the charges.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:rip:

https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/989337415729938433

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That seems not optimal

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So he's Jay Ajayi?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

nooooooo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Correction: he has bong on bong contact, according to a source linked to the Miami Dolphins, who went on to say you totally shouldn't draft this guy due to his bong contact so close to draft day

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Docjowles posted:

Correction: he has bong on bong contact, according to a source linked to the Miami Dolphins, who went on to say you totally shouldn't draft this guy due to his bong contact so close to draft day

Sony no! Don't be smoking that bebop lettuce a day before you're supposed to become a millionaire!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sam darnold looks like he may have just poo poo himself but is trying to get his picture taken anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is bone on bone a euphemism for something?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

no

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It's a euphemism for "your body is hosed, and not in the good way"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The tissue that is supposed to keep the bones from rubbing against each other in the knee joint have worn away/down to where the bones are grinding.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What's the likelihood this is just some team trying to nuke Michel's stock so they can get him on the cheap? That seems like a very NFL thing to do.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Good thing theres a robust security net for NCAA athletes who get broken before they receive a professional contract.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What's the likelihood this is just some team trying to nuke Michel's stock so they can get him on the cheap? That seems like a very NFL thing to do.

They could just... look at his medicals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

To Miami in the 4th

• Locked thread