Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/25/brand-new-cover-art-revealed-apr25/

Speaking of books, GW has revealed that there is a new Ciaphas Cain book coming out. :woop:
No date yet though but probably by the end of the year.

Oh man, I'm so excited!
Cain was my first foray into Black Library almost 10 years ago. I don't even remember when the last one was released, but I had pretty much resigned myself to accepting that there wouldn't be any more Cain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does the amending of the smite rules to exclude them Make Grey Knights Great Fieldable Again?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Schadenboner posted:

I just wish someone would make a robo-centaur body so Magos Chiron can live.

Be the change you want to be in this world.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

He exists to get punked by other things, which is the most Khaine deserves

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

One_Wing posted:

Today in “most embarrasing combats ever” an avatar and a wraithlord charged two shield captains and an Allarus terminator.

Nothing died on either side.

The avatar needs a reroll 1’s bubble so loving badly.

Meanwhile I got to charge someone with guilliman for the first time dealing 5 mortal wounds and 6 regular wounds to magnus leaving him on 1 left, killing him with more mortal wounds next turn. :black101:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A fun regimental standard.

https://regimental-standard.com/2018/04/25/know-thine-enemy/

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm one of the only people that doesn't want Mechanicum to come to 40k. I loving hate FW resin and don't want to have to supplement my 40k poo poo with the overpriced FW stuff. Part of my fear is that they'll delay any future 40k releases for AdMech because of the 30k stuff available.

Dont worry, its probably never going to be published at this rate.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hencoe posted:

Dont worry, its probably never going to be published at this rate.

Here lies 'ol Forge World, thought of improved QA and died.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Any thoughts on the 2x Start Collecting Dark Eldar, 2x Start Collecting Drukhari approach to starting Drukhari?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So I have this big blob of Orks that I got from a friend way back in like 2003 or 4 when he quit. I had them sitting in a plastic case until I wanted to use it, so I pulled em out, did a count.

I have 74 choppas, 10 shootaz, 6 burna boyz, 1 rokkit launcha, 1 big shoota and a large ork with a pistol and sword, I can only assume he's a Boss Nob?

Either way, it seems like a lot when I look at it, but it's like 600 points haha

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

dexefiend posted:

Any thoughts on the 2x Start Collecting Dark Eldar, 2x Start Collecting Drukhari approach to starting Drukhari?

I haven't broken down the prices but most people aren't running Wyches (unless they already had the models) and there's mixed perspective on Reavers. Raiders are a safer bet but still not a for sure buy.

Kabalite warriors are by far the first unit you'll for sure want and venoms are probably the second.

Figure out the pricing from there I guess?

Honestly, I'd just grab kabalite warriors and work on those while waiting for people to get a better understanding of what units work best for Drukhari.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Either way, it seems like a lot when I look at it, but it's like 600 points haha

Welcume 2 orkz m'lord

Save on miniatures by buying a barrel o' monkeys and some green spraypaint. The barrel can double as a trukk

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Welcume 2 orkz m'lord

Save on miniatures by buying a barrel o' monkeys and some green spraypaint. The barrel can double as a trukk

I looked in the storage bin with drawers I keep bits in and found two more boss nobs and 4 more burnaboyz.

And two big guns and some gretchins.

And four more choppas.

Might just spray what's not painted and have a nice, ugly army to loan out. Buy a character or vehicle or something to round it out.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m just dicking around with possibilities for “Non-primaris Non-BA Assaulty Marines”. Does this look any good? :ohdear:

E: Tightened up the graphics on level 3.

code:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [85 PL, 1499pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

Gametype: Matched

Use Beta Rules

+ HQ +
Kayvaan Shrike [8 PL, 150pts]
. Warlord: Silent Stalker

Chaplain [6 PL, 97pts]: Jump Pack, Plasma pistol

+ Troops +
3x Scout Squad [6 PL, 95pts]
. Scout Sergeant: Combi-flamer, Power maul
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

+ Fast Attack +
Assault Squad [11 PL, 151pts]: Jump Pack
. 6x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Melta bombs, Plasma pistol, Power maul
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon
. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol

+ Heavy Support +
3x Predator [9 PL, 180pts]: Predator autocannon, Two Lascannons

+ Dedicated Transport +
3x Land Speeder Storm [5 PL, 92pts]: Cerberus launcher, Heavy flamer

++ Total: [85 PL, 1499pts] ++

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 26, 2018

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I’m just dicking around with possibilities for “Non-primaris Non-BA Assaulty Marines”. Does this look any good? :ohdear:

code:
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [83 PL, 1493pts] ++
Use Beta Rules

+ HQ +
Captain [6 PL, 129pts]: Jump Pack, Raven's Fury, Storm shield, Thunder hammer, Warlord

+ Troops +
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Fast Attack +
Assault Squad [11 PL, 160pts]: Jump Pack
. 5x Space Marine
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Flamer

+ Heavy Support +
3x Predator [9 PL, 182pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter, Two Lascannons

+ Dedicated Transport +
3x Land Speeders Storm [5 PL, 92pts]: Cerberus launcher, Heavy flamer

++ Total: [83 PL, 1493pts] ++

Way too many points in upgrades in the scouts. I really think the though that people have expressed in this thread about them just being cheap speedbumps is correct.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mef989 posted:

Way too many points in upgrades in the scouts. I really think the though that people have expressed in this thread about them just being cheap speedbumps is correct.

I was thinking they could sit in the speeders and shoot instead of infiltrating/speedbumping although if they're going to do that I guess the mauls on the sgts aren't needed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
While they aren't as important for stopping [non-angel/genecult/necron] alpha strikes, I imagine they could still be useful for denying DS area around a high-value unit likely to end up alone, since they're the cheapest marine troops + can take rifles to harass from a distance.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

While they aren't as important for stopping [non-angel/genecult/necron] alpha strikes, I imagine they could still be useful for denying DS area around a high-value unit likely to end up alone, since they're the cheapest marine troops + can take rifles to harass from a distance.

True, and dropping the Storms gives me a fuckload more points to play with.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

dexefiend posted:

what about those hundreds of primaris howling monkies or those hundreds of age of sigmar jonathan davises you havent finished up yet? gonna add hundreds of emo kids to you backlog on a whim?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what about those hundreds of primaris howling monkies or those hundreds of age of sigmar jonathan davises you havent finished up yet? gonna add hundreds of emo kids to you backlog on a whim?

You can't call yourself a true Ham if you're not buying your 7th army while you haven't even got a fully painted 1st army.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
With battalions and brigades getting buffed - and strike teams being incredibly good value - I thought I'd try and finish up my rank and file. Here's 35 fire warriors and a Fireblade. 35 more to go!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lungboy posted:

You can't call yourself a true Ham if you're not buying your 7th army while you haven't even got a fully painted 1st army.

This but after buying and painting several additional armies you go "bah!" and stick to your original.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Flavivirus posted:

With battalions and brigades getting buffed - and strike teams being incredibly good value - I thought I'd try and finish up my rank and file. Here's 35 fire warriors and a Fireblade. 35 more to go!

This is a really nice scheme, well done (also come to Peaceful Negotiations, you know you want to)

Lungboy posted:

Galaxy-brain ham is to have 6 armies on the go at once and still being able to field 3k+ fully painted points of each

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I haven't broken down the prices but most people aren't running Wyches (unless they already had the models) and there's mixed perspective on Reavers. Raiders are a safer bet but still not a for sure buy.

I'm a big fan of Reavers. They're reasonably tough, extremely fast and not too costly. I've only played a few games with them so far, but I've run them in a big pack and given them the +Toughness drug and as many Blasters as I can. They zoom in, annihilate a vehicle and then tie something up in melee before jetting off the next turn to do the same thing. I was running them as Cult of the Red Grief, so in a pinch I could advance them and still fire the blasters and charge.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just picked up an Immolator.

Is is worth magnetizing the weapon options? I can see the use of a mobile Multi-melta platform, but not sure even that can make me switch from a 12" super flamer.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Floppychop posted:

Is is worth magnetizing the weapon options? I can see the use of a mobile Multi-melta platform, but not sure even that can make me switch from a 12" super flamer.

It's always worth magnetising, although I think the Immolator might be swappable without it?

Dakka's latest innovation in idiocy - some of them reckon that a unit disembarking from a transport can't leave the DZ because it counts as arriving from off the table. With brainpower like this it's no wonder none of them seem to be able to win a game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some day I will have a horrible mish-mash army composed of all flavors of space-elf just because I want one. For now I have the discipline to resist.

And an absurd backlog of unfinished Tyranids.

And a wife who will brutally murder me if I go over my fun budget.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

It's always worth magnetising, although I think the Immolator might be swappable without it?

Dakka's latest innovation in idiocy - some of them reckon that a unit disembarking from a transport can't leave the DZ because it counts as arriving from off the table. With brainpower like this it's no wonder none of them seem to be able to win a game.

God thats loving stupid.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Floppychop posted:

In theory yes but if you used anything but twin heavy flamers on one of those at any point since 2nd edition then you equipped it wrong.

Personally I'd glue in the heavy flamers and store the multi meltas for future conversion projects.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Schadenboner posted:

E: Tightened up the graphics on level 3.

code:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [85 PL, 1499pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Use Beta Rules

+ HQ +
Kayvaan Shrike [8 PL, 150pts]
. Warlord: Silent Stalker

+ Troops +
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Fast Attack +
Assault Squad [11 PL, 151pts]: Jump Pack
. 6x Space Marine

+ Heavy Support +
3x Predator [9 PL, 180pts]: Predator autocannon, Two Lascannons

+ Dedicated Transport +
3x Land Speeder Storm [5 PL, 92pts]: Cerberus launcher, Heavy flamer

++ Total: [85 PL, 1499pts] ++

Never use assault marines. For 2 points more per model you get vanguard with +1a and wargear options.

The only time I've ever successfully fielded assault marines was shoving a bunch of them into a rhino loaded down with flamers, and even then company veterans for 3 points per model more are probably going to do you better. 2 5-mans with 4 flamers and a power sword or something on the sgts worked out okay though in a lower point game.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I lolled at the Korn reference.

Yeah. I just bought a box of warriors to paint. 25 bucks for a painting project isnt that bad.

Thanks goons!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Corrode posted:

Glad to see they're still melting down over rhe death of army-generic alpha strikes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

dexefiend posted:

I lolled at the Korn reference.

"You'd better watch your loving mouth, John."
- Slaanesh, probably

Corrode posted:

Has anyone pointed out that embarked models aren't considered to be reinforcements? :cripes:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 26, 2018

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Cross posting from paint thread. Mostly to help motivate me to get back to painting after a 3 week break.

Finished the leader of my Stealth team. F edge highlighting black. I am no good at it when I can't get that magical 45 degree angle.

On another note, I am loving the hell out of the newer gloss agrax shade gw put out. It is talent in a bottle.

Eventually I will go back in and add a glow effect to the barrell. But I am still learning subtle OSL and do not want to mess it up. Once I get better after practice on test models, I will come back to him. The eye glow was pure accident.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 26, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Flavivirus posted:

Very very nice.

Giving this to a T'a""'"u-curious friend. Is this one of the septs or is the scheme of your own making?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

What are your (or anyone's) thoughts on camo cloaks?

I tend to ditch them as soon as I'm at the end of my points limit and wanting to add a hellfire missile or something.

If I'm using them to set up on objectives or deny deep strike areas, do I want the cloaks to be able to survive longer or are they too expensive?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flavivirus posted:

I dig this color scheme

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheBigAristotle posted:

What are your (or anyone's) thoughts on camo cloaks?

I tend to ditch them as soon as I'm at the end of my points limit and wanting to add a hellfire missile or something.

If I'm using them to set up on objectives or deny deep strike areas, do I want the cloaks to be able to survive longer or are they too expensive?

I think it probably depends on the terrain and cover situation? If you're playing "Two trees, a hill, and a ruin on planet bowling ball" it's different than if you're doing "Downtown Grozny"?

E: By way of an answer, if you can sit them high on a building and give them sniper rifles and reasonably rely on them not moving (that is, you have other units that will maneuver) it might well be worth it but for anything less probably not?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 26, 2018

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Corrode posted:

To be fair, that is how it works for the Monolith and Night Scythe unfortunately.

Pretty sure that’s a Necron-specific problem though, everything else is clearly RAW okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
To call back to earlier (and perpetual) conversation on Allies/Detachments; It's nothing more than a vibe though, isn't it? We all love the idea of doing allied forces, Imperial Guard & Adeptus Mechanicus or whatever. That feels 'right' and to the canon. (Yes, I know, bear with me) It's when you get armies of 'all the CC bits should be Blood Angels, and all the shooty bits should be Raven Guard' that just feels instinctively wrong. It's the right thing absolutely to do competitively, but that it's viable to do feels just... wrong. Like it shouldn't be so obvious to do something that jars the mental image of the Space Marine army or whatever.

To continue with the example, the idea that you'll never see Blood Angel Devastators again, because it's 'smarter' and a trivial tax to make them Raven Guard, or Raven Guard Assault Marines is just... kinda sad, I guess? The system basically incentives very role-specific detachments, rather than coherent forces in their own right.

I dunno man, just, boo.