Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Who cared enough about that paint job to literally shellac them all in varnish

At that scale the poor paintjobs could be disguised reasonably well if seen from a distance but the sheen of greasy gunk on everyone gives the game away

I think that's enamel gloss paint, or maybe even pottery glaze if those are clay figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

are these from an art? Because it is art

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bermuda Rifles looking good!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Oh yeah, that reminds me. About a month ago, I got a $20 Micheal gift card for my birthday, and I was there, looking at what they had for paint out of curiosity. All I could find was testers (what I think people here were saying those above are painted with, with that weird shininess).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah, afaik, Michael's has pretty much nothing one would want to use for painting gaming minis. Maybe terrain?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gently caress yes.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

How hard would sawing off the head be (so as to attach to a torso)? That's a good looking set of tentacles.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Foolster41 posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me. About a month ago, I got a $20 Micheal gift card for my birthday, and I was there, looking at what they had for paint out of curiosity. All I could find was testers (what I think people here were saying those above are painted with, with that weird shininess).

Testors is enamel paint which has some uses but mostly not for miniature wargaming.

Michael's has a selection of uncapped, pre-hosed up brushes to peruse. More useful they have a big selection of artist acrylics, inks, oils, and varnish if you wanna get wild. If you're less advanced like me, that $20 is good for brush cleaner/conditioner, storage, or a water cup with a brush agitator.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

TheFinalTuba posted:

Yeah, afaik, Michael's has pretty much nothing one would want to use for painting gaming minis. Maybe terrain?

Yeah. My mom gave me the card. She knows I like to paint, and so she gave me that. She went with me on the shopping trip and saw I was having trouble finding stuff I wanted, so she offered to give me the cash value for it (and she used it that trip, so the card definitely wasn't wasted). I felt a little bit guilty, since she meant well with it, and I felt a little ungrateful. :shrug:

I ended up buying 1/4 of the new star wars legion core set. So, priorities. :P

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does Micheal's not sell Vallejo?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Mine doesn't. I've bought a few things there. They have liquitex products, spray primers and some things you could use as basing materials like stones, corks and grit.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
They probably sell flock, and they definitely sell "terrain" brushes.

Also a styrofoam cutter for hills?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

AFAIK Hobby Lobby is the only normie hobby store that stocks non-testor mini stuff, but it's Hobby Lobby.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

I can't wrap my head around how much they spent on the lens and camera to take such high quality pictures of an absolutely abysmal paint job.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I get all of my Liquitex supplies at Michaels. Also, the Apple Barrel/Americana/Craftsmart paints are great for terrain.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I can't wrap my head around how much they spent on the lens and camera to take such high quality pictures of an absolutely abysmal paint job.

You assume it's the same person.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Not much, given that the pictures aren't very high quality?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
^^^ I mean if we're comparing paint job quality to photo quality, at least...

goatface posted:

You assume it's the same person.

Dude I'm new to painting minis. The only way I can parse what you're saying is that some night class photography enthusiast convinced their friend to let them take pictures of their minis to... I don't know, get experience with their new camera? maybe there was some talk of exposure? Help me out, dude.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Dude I'm new to painting minis. The only way I can parse what you're saying is that some night class photography enthusiast convinced their friend to let them take pictures of their minis to... I don't know, get experience with their new camera? maybe there was some talk of exposure? Help me out, dude.

What if philthy himself picked up a bucket of 1000 of these at a yard sale and is just generating thread content? :tinfoil:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

General Olloth posted:

What if philthy himself picked up a bucket of 1000 of these at a yard sale and is just generating thread content? :tinfoil:

Or he's :corsair: and they're his life's work which we predictably knock, driving him ever-deeper into despair? :(

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Michael's also stocks Dullcote varnish

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

Michael's also stocks Dullcote varnish
Mine doesn't. :cripes:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

toy soldiers have been around for a very long time, and in the past couple decades the materials and techniques used to produce and paint them have improved drastically

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

TheFinalTuba posted:

Au contraire, Michael's (and other stores like Joann or Hobby Lobby) actually has a wide variety of craft paints, artist acrylics, acrylic inks, etc. that can be used on minis.

Granted, they're not "straight out of the bottle" ready like Vallejo or GW or Army Painter paints are, which understandably isn't ideal for beginners or people who have other priorities and limited hobby time. But they're certainly usable if a person has the time/inclination to mix up their own paints/washes. And they always have sales and coupons (for example, I recently got a set of 48 artist acrylics for like $20-something with a 40% off coupon).

And as others have mentioned, they have plenty of other useful stuff for minis (varnishes, various mediums and flow aids, textured pastes for bases, and so on).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

orc players just seem to "get it"

:orks101:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wrongthread.jpg

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Space Ork players really do seem like the heart and soul of the miniature war gaming hobby.

You'd think GW would treat them way better than they do.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I had a friend way back in the day who would have been a lot happier as an ork player. He played Chaos and couldn't win a game to save his life. See, ork players get it. They're not supposed to win. Orks are there for Space Marines to beat up. Orks are there to do crazy and funny things that almost, but never quite, work. Ork players get to go home knowing the deck was stacked against them from the start, but there's always a chance that next time everything will go the way they planned.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Atlas Hugged posted:

I had a friend way back in the day who would have been a lot happier as an ork player. He played Chaos and couldn't win a game to save his life. See, ork players get it. They're not supposed to win. Orks are there for Space Marines to beat up. Orks are there to do crazy and funny things that almost, but never quite, work. Ork players get to go home knowing the deck was stacked against them from the start, but there's always a chance that next time everything will go the way they planned.

Somehow my trukks would always get the KERUNCH! roll and my boyz would end up somewhere else :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, nothing felt better than getting into melee range with a mob of boyz and just getting choppy :orks:

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

It's a good time fielding 120 grots and rolling to shoot with all of them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Team_q posted:

It's a good time fielding 120 grots and rolling to shoot with all of them.

I've been meaning to do a Commie Blood Axe/Gretchin Revolutionary Committee combo army: the grots unionized and demanded an equal place on the Battlewagon.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 26, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Space Ork players really do seem like the heart and soul of the miniature war gaming hobby.

You'd think GW would treat them way better than they do.

good news friendo. gw, being the same totally incompetent hack frauds theyve always been, still havent figured out how to to stop codex creep. and guess whos rumored to be the last codex in line?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

good news friendo. gw, being the same totally incompetent hack frauds theyve always been, still havent figured out how to to stop codex creep. and guess whos rumored to be the last codex in line?

But in a funny reversal of sorts, they're all but guaranteed to be stronger than Grey Knights who are hovering somewhere near "butt garbage from a butt"

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I'm sure the fix they throw in is to reduce the point cost of everything by 20%, so they can hopefully boost sales by 20%.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

What is the tube attached to what looks to be a power fist on the loving lovely mold line riddled sergeant there? Is it supposed to be a cigar?

Edit:

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 27, 2018