Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If I were to murder a man I would murder him there. Are you sure this is the right word, alcoves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If I were to murder a man I would murder him there. Are you sure this is the right word, alcoves?

yes, alcoves.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Same thing happened to me when I was trying to beat him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gOoVLStBKw&t=550s

Fighting Vicar Amelia again in NG+ has made me realize that both of those fights suffer from being in the Grand Cathedral, because it's easy to get cornered in one of the alcoves.

I think almost every Souls boss arena has an irregular or dangerous edge so that blind rolling doesn't work.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I died to Laurence when I couldn't see any of his life bar left. Valtr ran up and hit him once to finish him off but it didn't count :negative:

this is exactly why I kept the Blacksky Eye in my inventory. plinking away the last little bit of a boss's health was never not satisfying

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

morallyobjected posted:

this is exactly why I kept the Blacksky Eye in my inventory. plinking away the last little bit of a boss's health was never not satisfying

I just went through something similar with Micolash, except I didn't have any Arcane items with me, so I just had to keep plinking away with QS bullets.

All that's left now is Mergo's Wet Nurse, and then I'll be at the end of the game again. I was going to backup my save file so I can reload before the Gehrman fight, and get both endings, but is there a specific way I need to do it? I've not messed with PS4 save games before, so I don't know if I need to delete the save file after I've backed it up or what. I'm a little nervous, just because I don't want to risk outright deleting all my progress.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Max Wilco posted:

I just went through something similar with Micolash, except I didn't have any Arcane items with me, so I just had to keep plinking away with QS bullets.

All that's left now is Mergo's Wet Nurse, and then I'll be at the end of the game again. I was going to backup my save file so I can reload before the Gehrman fight, and get both endings, but is there a specific way I need to do it? I've not messed with PS4 save games before, so I don't know if I need to delete the save file after I've backed it up or what. I'm a little nervous, just because I don't want to risk outright deleting all my progress.

Plug in a USB stick/hard drive, go into Application/Saved Data Management, and copy to USB. Beat the game one way, copy the save back from the drive to system storage. You can do this without a USB drive by temporarily disabling automatic upload to cloud storage and using cloud storage like the USB drive.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I'm going to be trying to take out Laurence at lvl 40 for the next hour or two if anybody feels like lending a hand.
PSN is PraetorianDead

E: well that was fast. First guy I summoned, we took ol' Hot Larry to the cleaners. Woo!

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 21, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The save thing worked, and I got the platinum trophy. :toot:

I also somehow managed to clock 100 hours.

I think the reason this is the only Soulsborne games I've gotten all the trophies for is because 1.) Apart from the the ending trophies, you don't have to play through the game multiple times to get everything, and 2.) Compared to the other Souls games, this one is pretty short. You're only required to get through seven bosses to finish the game (Gascoigne, Amelia, Shadows of Yharnam, Rom, One Reborn, Micolash, and Mergo's Wet Nurse), and there's no real backtracking either.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The one thing I didn't count on the first time I did an arcane build was how useful molotovs are early game. I overcame my loot hoarding mentality and annihilated gehrman and bsb with 20 Arc and a shitload of molotovs

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The one thing I didn't count on the first time I did an arcane build was how useful molotovs are early game. I overcame my loot hoarding mentality and annihilated gehrman and bsb with 20 Arc and a shitload of molotovs

Give the flamesprayer some love too. It absolutely destroys bsb abd amelia

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

skasion posted:

Stacking elemental resists can very occasionally take you from dying in one or two hits to dying in two or three. Generally no.

There are a lot of times when It's very nice to be able to take a hit and not die, though.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hodgepodge posted:

There are a lot of times when It's very nice to be able to take a hit and not die, though.

This is a difficult position against which to argue. Still, honor is worth something.

E. VVVV Beware of but hole

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Honor is nice, but not if it engenders passivity.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I was at the end of the game last night and had a thought that I wanted the Burial Blade more than finishing up the dlc and other optional bosses. I ended up making a save point AFTER I used all 3 umbilical cords...

So now I have to go through the rest of the game in NG+ to get that last ending lol

At least I am not burnt out but I have to imagine that summoning is going to be a bit more sparse than regular NG

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

cage-free egghead posted:

So I was at the end of the game last night and had a thought that I wanted the Burial Blade more than finishing up the dlc and other optional bosses. I ended up making a save point AFTER I used all 3 umbilical cords...

So now I have to go through the rest of the game in NG+ to get that last ending lol

Best part is now you get the joy of NG+ DLC bosses. Also, you can get an Uncanny Burial Blade in NG after killing BSB and clearing the first chalice (chalice code nzzn259g, see OP for details). If you have PS+ it's not a bad idea to do this anyway as the gem slots on that version are better.

quote:

At least I am not burnt out but I have to imagine that summoning is going to be a bit more sparse than regular NG

There's no limitation on game cycle for summons. It's quite fun to summon help while working through NG+++ at level 38.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Good luck, you'll need to get your vitality to 50 to survive NG+ DLC.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I think I'm around level 100 with 34 points into Vit and NG+ seems to just shove blood echoes down your throat so I should have no problem getting to 50. Is it basically diminishing returns after 50? What about Strength and Skill?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everything softcaps at 50 except endurance which is 40, and arcane which technically has no softcap (goes up to 99) for arcane tools specifically

Definitely grab 50 vitality and 40 endurance, and work on getting your main damage stat to 50 while you’re at it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think I'm around level 100 with 34 points into Vit and NG+ seems to just shove blood echoes down your throat so I should have no problem getting to 50. Is it basically diminishing returns after 50? What about Strength and Skill?

Yeah, what digirat said.

Maybe my NG+ run was colored by the fact that I came back to the game after a 2 year layoff directly into the DLC with no warmup, but it was BRUTAL with 30ish vitality. Once I got it up to 50 the game was just really hard.

FWIW a lot of people have said the DLC is ridiculously hard on NG+ as well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I played a bit of it on my first run and did the guy who drops the moon sword from his head and yes, even then I had some reallllly tough times with even the first few mobs.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

here's my dirty secret: I've really dislike the holy moonlight sword's moveset and have never made a character that used it (my str/arc char used the wheel)

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I played a bit of it on my first run and did the guy who drops the moon sword from his head and yes, even then I had some reallllly tough times with even the first few mobs.

Have you already started NG+? If you can I would run through and get the weapons you want.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
So I just finished the game, assuming it would work like DS2/3 and let me just keep going and play the DLC. Nope, turns out it instead works like DS1 and kicks me directly into NG+. What the gently caress? Are my only options now to play through NG+ DLC at an early game NG+ level (which sounds like a massive pain, since apparently you absolutely need 50 vit), or just restart and grind up a new character to endgame levels to make it through the NG DLC?? Is there seriously no way back?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
Thinking of grabbing the expansion today. People are talking about needing 50 Vit for it in NG+, which is no problem. But am I going to trivialize it if I'm gemmed out? My character is at Pthuemeria Ithyll Layer 3, with gems from the cursed version, having done everything short of the Queen herself.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Thinking of grabbing the expansion today. People are talking about needing 50 Vit for it in NG+, which is no problem. But am I going to trivialize it if I'm gemmed out? My character is at Pthuemeria Ithyll Layer 3, with gems from the cursed version, having done everything short of the Queen herself.

Even with all that it's still gonna be tough

It's also the best dlc ever made so yeah go for it unless you think it will go on sale soon

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

wocobob posted:

So I just finished the game, assuming it would work like DS2/3 and let me just keep going and play the DLC. Nope, turns out it instead works like DS1 and kicks me directly into NG+. What the gently caress? Are my only options now to play through NG+ DLC at an early game NG+ level (which sounds like a massive pain, since apparently you absolutely need 50 vit), or just restart and grind up a new character to endgame levels to make it through the NG DLC?? Is there seriously no way back?

yes. honestly, it's easier to just roll a new character. I did that after they gave the game out for PS+ and it doesn't take that long after you've beaten the game and know where everything is. chalice dungeon farming helps too

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Even with all that it's still gonna be tough

It's also the best dlc ever made so yeah go for it unless you think it will go on sale soon

Thanks, I'll give it a go then.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

morallyobjected posted:

yes. honestly, it's easier to just roll a new character. I did that after they gave the game out for PS+ and it doesn't take that long after you've beaten the game and know where everything is. chalice dungeon farming helps too

How far along should I be to stand a chance? I thought it was tuned for endgame (level 80-ish) characters.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Bloodborne is the only gave I enjoy rolling a new character.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

no thats more or less optimal for ng+ dlc content

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

no thats more or less optimal for ng+ dlc content

Yeah from what I read the DLC and early NG+ have massive scaling and it tails off towards the end of the game so it's easier.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

wocobob posted:

How far along should I be to stand a chance? I thought it was tuned for endgame (level 80-ish) characters.

I started out around level 60 and just rotated between the DLC and the main game when something felt like a wall and it went mostly fine.

some guy in this thread I think just beat the first boss at level 40. you can summon if you need help

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSc_-rAA3Jo

I've never regretted not joining the League early until now :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This is the best. I love how everyone turns towards you and transforms their weapons in turn before the end.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pro click

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

It looked like Messenger cart racing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

thats going in the OP

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Best Bloodborne thing I watch in a long time.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
After countless years I've made the plunge and bought a PS4 and Bloodbourne.

Managed about half an hour on it last night and it was real nice. Can't wait to get stuck in for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

After countless years I've made the plunge and bought a PS4 and Bloodbourne.

Managed about half an hour on it last night and it was real nice. Can't wait to get stuck in for real.

Be sure to come in and bitch whenever you get stuck, we'll help.

Edit:. Seriously, this thread is great at helping out