Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

like i'm all for forgiving joy ann reid for dumb poo poo she said a decade ago. lord knows i changed in that time too

She doesn't deserve any slack because it's just further proof that liberals are ideological weather vanes, who follow the weight of public opinion and have no genuine beliefs of their own besides making money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The same people defending Reid now are the exact same people who concoct the anti bernie hitjob poo poo, or keep quoting that rape fantasy essay.

Its self serving hypocrisy, and none of them should be let off the hook, not least of which Joy Ann Reid, who fairly recently called Killer Mike the equivalent of a 'house n-word' because he went on nra tv.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah i just think it's funny that - all of a sudden - call out culture is bad now!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Yeah i just think it's funny that - all of a sudden - call out culture is bad now!

Asking us to evaluate the sum totality of her character isn't great either, since this is the woman who believed Russia is still communist.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

She doesn't deserve any slack because it's just further proof that liberals are ideological weather vanes, who follow the weight of public opinion and have no genuine beliefs of their own besides making money.

like i said, her attempt to literally revise history is highly suspect

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its bad when it affects me, and helps me acheive my political ends, but its good when it hurts you, and is proof of a systematic failing of ur ideology.

Thats the working philosophy behind every shill

Its why 'never apologize' is the best social media strategy, because nobody demanding one will ever accept it - it will sinply get recycled into new attacks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

These are the same people who argued that actually it was ok for Hillary to have slaves in the governor's mansion.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

while i think it's funny she claimed to be hack i'd prefer to call her out for all the dumb poo poo she has said far more recently

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Mr Interweb posted:

Why? Joy Reid is good people.

gbs - the one stop shop for hot centrist takes

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

get that OUT of my face posted:

"i'm right and have objectively good opinions so i don't care about evidence to the contrary" seems to be a popular thinkpiece theme these days. i saw it with some guy using it to dismiss japanese people not giving a poo poo about the cultural appropriation of Isle of Dogs

and yes, The Root is low-hanging fruit

Wasn’t the point of that article (about IoD) that it’s an American movie that exists in the context of Hollywood and that Asian people in Asia have a much different experience with appropriation than Asian-Americans do?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

isn't it an animated movie about a japanese boy hanging on a trash fill island with stray dogs? what the gently caress is wrong with people

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hahahahahaha

call out culture is bad now

there’s a chunk of comments like this and then a chunk calling out kath krueger for her article on splinter criticizing joy lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Isn't this the second time people have found homophobic stuff from her? Im sure there was controversy around a load of tweets as well

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Percelus posted:

isn't it an animated movie about a japanese boy hanging on a trash fill island with stray dogs? what the gently caress is wrong with people

People had a lot of questions about “why Japan” and how the movie used its Japanese elements, basically. It struck the wrong chord for some people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Percelus posted:

It's almost like art is more than just what is presented literally and doesn't exist in a vacuum

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
No bad tactics only bad targets lol live by the woke die by the woke

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
why are there so many people with a cultish devotion to a talking head

little munchkin has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Apr 26, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

Isn't this the second time people have found homophobic stuff from her? Im sure there was controversy around a load of tweets as well

Yes. They already unearthed a bunch of homophobic poo poo ... I want to say last month? And she already apologized for those. This probably would have completely blown over if she had just apologized again or blew off this second dump, but ... well ...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time Travelling Mastermind Putin put those nasty blog posts on the Internet Archive, if you disagree you’re a bro

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/hotlinekream/status/989228548241096704

https://twitter.com/hotlinekream/status/989240693733445632

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 05:11 on Apr 26, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Because we're tribal animals at heart and she's part of their tribe.

More people need to become sports fans and treat politics like politics and not sports. Sports is where you can exercise your tribalistic nature in a fairly healthy way.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

treat politics like philly treats sports imo

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Clochette posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUPdkxsOV8

I hope this can sate you for the moment

the best thing immortal technique ever did was bully lin-manuel miranda in high school

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

little munchkin posted:

It's the same reason why people in the comments bring up Bernie again and again despite the fact that Bernie has had literally 0 to do with this story. It's not about devotion to Joy. It's devotion to their self image of progressive, rational leftists. They dismiss anyone to the left of them as only being popular because of sexism and racism. If instead of the rational left they are in fact the reactionary center it would take a radical reevaluation of their identity.

It's the same reason why people are completely deranged regarding Glenn Greenwald, who is a columnist at a minor publication. "Can it be that I went all in on Obama and Obama was a disappointment on human and civil rights? No, Greenwald must be a Russian plant set out to discredit Obama."

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

little munchkin posted:

I mean it's possible that a centrist in the mid-2000's might have been casually homophobic, but if you think about it it's also possible that reality is an illusion manufactured by a cartesian demon, so

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

joepinetree posted:

It's the same reason why people in the comments bring up Bernie again and again despite the fact that Bernie has had literally 0 to do with this story. It's not about devotion to Joy. It's devotion to their self image of progressive, rational leftists. They dismiss anyone to the left of them as only being popular because of sexism and racism. If instead of the rational left they are in fact the reactionary center it would take a radical reevaluation of their identity.

I disagree with that statement. I think the reason Bernie is brought up preemptively is because a lot of them feel as if leftists are trying to drag her through the mud because she wasn't supportive of him in the primary. Whether or not that's true...

I think it's hard to call people the reactionary center when the status quo has been poo poo to them and any challenge they make against it gets them pinged as a race-baiter.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I disagree with that statement. I think the reason Bernie is brought up preemptively is because a lot of them feel as if leftists are trying to drag her through the mud because she wasn't supportive of him in the primary. Whether or not that's true...

I think it's hard to call people the reactionary center when the status quo has been poo poo to them and any challenge they make against it gets them pinged as a race-baiter.

How the gently caress does that first paragraph explain people thinking that the library of Congress was hacked?

And how the gently caress does the second paragraph make any loving sense in relation to the pundit who explicitly claimed common cause with David Frum against the left?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/989183660304744448

e: https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/989199785646329856

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:06 on Apr 26, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/989344153006985216

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

hahahahahaha

call out culture is bad now

wtf i hate vampire culture now

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's cool that according to these people a hacker is willing to break into the library of congress, archive.org, etc. etc. and the only end game is to temporarily embarass a c-list pundit

not to mention that the hacker somehow predicted Joy's response ahead of time, since the plan completely falls about if she just says "sorry, my bad" instead of trying to play the fake news card

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

This is only getting better and better

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i just heard a molten hot take irl, someone said "bill clinton better watch out" to me after commenting on the cosby conviction and while clinton is probably a rapist and all i couldn't hold back a "what about trump's 16 sexual assault allegations?" response and they explained those weren't "legitimate" so apparently now legitimate and illegitimate sexual assault claims are conservative canon much like legitimate and illegitimate rape :downs:

afaik you can only determine the legitimacy of sexual assault related matters if you are a corpulent putrescent elderly white man with disgusting reactionary views

Percelus has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Apr 26, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Percelus posted:

i just heard a molten hot take irl, someone said "bill clinton better watch out" to me after commenting on the cosby conviction and while clinton is probably a rapist and all i couldn't hold back a "what about trump's 16 sexual assault allegations?" response and they explained those weren't "legitimate" so apparently now legitimate and illegitimate sexual assault claims are conservative canon much like legitimate and illegitimate rape :downs:

afaik you can only determine the legitimacy of sexual assault related matters if you are a corpulent putrescent elderly white man with disgusting reactionary views

you should also ask this take-haver why has trump broken his promise to LOCK HER UP

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anybody who was sexually active in the 70s was probably a rapist.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Pirate Radar posted:

Wasn’t the point of that article (about IoD) that it’s an American movie that exists in the context of Hollywood and that Asian people in Asia have a much different experience with appropriation than Asian-Americans do?

The 'different experience with appropriation' probably amounts to most people in Asia being more conscious of the fact that their own cultures are the products of appropriation (as are all cultures)

90% of Japanese culture is directly derived from China and the west, so there's probably not much room for Japanese nationals to complain, since most advances in Japanese culture for the past century has just been them copying and modifying whatever western things they liked. From fashion, to music, cuisine, to Christian-themed weddings. They've become preferred over traditional shinto weddings solely due to the aesthetics.

Like, if there was a population of white expats in Japan complaining every time a piece of Japanese fiction used medieval Europe or the wild west as a setting (which is all the time), then they'd also be rightly seen as insecure weirdos

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Percelus posted:

this is sadly not a hot take

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anybody who was sexually active in the 70s was probably a rapist.
yes and by extension
Anybody in their 70s was probably a rapist.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

The 'different experience with appropriation' probably amounts to most people in Asia being more conscious of the fact that their own cultures are the products of appropriation (as are all cultures)

90% of Japanese culture is directly derived from China and the west, so there's probably not much room for Japanese nationals to complain, since most advances in Japanese culture for the past century has just been them copying and modifying whatever western things they liked. From fashion, to music, cuisine, to Christian-themed weddings. They've become preferred over traditional shinto weddings solely due to the aesthetics.

Like, if there was a population of white expats in Japan complaining every time a piece of Japanese fiction used medieval Europe or the wild west as a setting (which is all the time), then they'd also be rightly seen as insecure weirdos

There is and he used to get dunked on performatively by weeb twitter on the regular.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Mandoric posted:

There is and he used to get dunked on performatively by weeb twitter on the regular.

"Upon seeing this mayo and corn-covered abomination of a "pizza" being served on a Japanese menu, I suddenly felt as if my entire heritage was torn from me. Is this how they see Italy's rich culture? Are we anything more than a collection of stereotypes, cheap English lessions, and 'quirky' dish ideas? Did they even consult a single white person before appropriating? I quickly let the manager know the severity of his error, but alas, all they did was film me and laugh at my less-than-perfect translation abilities"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...