Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I dunno if this is the best place to post this, but I have a bug with Messages on my iPad. The app’s unread badge is stuck at 4, but I don’t have any unread messages. Even when a new message comes in, it stays at 4. This hasn’t happened with my iPhone or Mac, which use the same Apple ID.

I tried force quitting Messages and restarting the iPad with no luck. What else should I try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Try scrolling way back in the conversation list and see if any have unread messages. I’ve had stuck-unread messages on really old conversations cleared on my phone, but not computer.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Sobriquet posted:

Try scrolling way back in the conversation list and see if any have unread messages. I’ve had stuck-unread messages on really old conversations cleared on my phone, but not computer.

No luck. I even tried just deleting all my conversations from the iPad, but the unread counter never changes.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iMessage out of order bug is getting worse and now displaying badges for messages from the future. Thanks, iOS 11.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
OP will receive four new messages tomorrow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes I get ghost unreads on mail.app, and the only way to fix that is to disable the offending account in settings.app and re-enable it.

Never had to do this with imessages but my guess is that a sign out and sign in will force the phone to purge its local cache.

But this might delete all your conversations too so have fun with that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've had ALL of my apps randomly sign me out of my accounts on more than one occasion. Most recently last night. The gently caress is up with that?

Apple "It just works" :jerkbag:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I've had ALL of my apps randomly sign me out of my accounts on more than one occasion. Most recently last night. The gently caress is up with that?

If we're talking third-party apps, it's usually dumbass developers using the cache (which can be purged at any time by iOS to reclaim space and is explicitly not for data that should be persisted) to store your credentials.

In some cases their asses are sufficiently dumb to be doing this intentionally in direct contravention of common sense and the developer docs; in other cases it's because otherwise intelligent developers are using a lovely, poorly-designed cross-platform framework, which is still itself some high-level dumbassery.

There are also a lot of really dumb apps that will sign you out for any blip in network connectivity. "Oh no, can't reach the server on our first attempt, better throw everything out!"

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 20, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

There are also a lot of really dumb apps that will sign you out for any blip in network connectivity. "Oh no, can't reach the server on our first attempt, better throw everything out!"

Or your IP changes and they don't trust you any longer, which may be especially silly for a mobile device.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

How the gently caress can anyone be an apple fanboy

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
So I just noticed my 1Block is now “Legacy”. Am I paying again? I’m paying again, aren’t I?

Content blockers are going the way of productivity apps.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Update: signing out of iCloud, restarting, and signing back in seems to have fixed the messages icon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

virinvictus posted:

So I just noticed my 1Block is now “Legacy”. Am I paying again? I’m paying again, aren’t I?

Content blockers are going the way of productivity apps.

It’s been what 2 years or so?

I don’t mind actually paying for apps I find useful so the dev can do things like develop and eat and things.

But yeah, 1Blocker X is due to be releases next week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

How the gently caress can anyone be an apple fanboy

You can only be a fanboy if you willingly buy first generation Apple products.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s been what 2 years or so?

I don’t mind actually paying for apps I find useful so the dev can do things like develop and eat and things.

But yeah, 1Blocker X is due to be releases next week.

Wow, so I just bought it last week and now they're releasing a new app. Guess I get to pay again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

god this blows posted:

Wow, so I just bought it last week and now they're releasing a new app. Guess I get to pay again.

Put in for a refund then. You’re well within the window where Apple won’t even question it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can only be a fanboy if you willingly buy first generation Apple products.

:negative:

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Put in for a refund then. You’re well within the window where Apple won’t even question it.

Well got drat. Got the refund and bought the new version thank you for saving me like 5 cheeseburgers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

god this blows posted:

Well got drat. Got the refund and bought the new version thank you for saving me like 5 cheeseburgers.

No worries. I hadn’t even thought of it being a case of you having just bought the drat thing. I would be ticked as well.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

No worries. I hadn’t even thought of it being a case of you having just bought the drat thing. I would be ticked as well.
I understand why they’re doing this but I’d rather then have a subscription then.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How is 1Blocker X better than 1Blocker?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Obviously it’s 10 times better.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Just use Firefox Focus, and if you really want to pay for a content blocker buy Better—the guy that makes it is aggressively anti-advertising, and it seems to be more a political or ideological project than a way of generating an income.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s the one that will be actively developed instead of *maybe* bug fixes on the older version?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

god this blows posted:

I understand why they’re doing this but I’d rather then have a subscription then.

I love this bizarre future where we block the ads that help journalists earn a living, by paying for ad blockers so that developers can earn a living.

(Obviously I completely understand why we use and pay for ad blockers. It’s just strange how we justify the spend.)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Hello Spaceman posted:

I love this bizarre future where we block the ads that help journalists earn a living, by paying for ad blockers so that developers can earn a living.

(Obviously I completely understand why we use and pay for ad blockers. It’s just strange how we justify the spend.)

I mean, if you think the money from those ads actually helps *journalists* earn a living, I just don't know.

http://www.niemanlab.org/2015/07/newsonomics-do-newspaper-companies-have-a-strategy-beyond-milking-papers-for-profit/
https://dfmworkers.org/denver-post-newsroom-slashed-by-1-3-as-hedge-fund-continues-eviscerating-digital-first-media-papers/
https://www.thestreet.com/story/14355328/1/digital-first-media-s-ceo-steps-down-what-may-lie-ahead-for-dfm.html
http://newsonomics.com/newsonomics-did-digital-first-media-owner-alden-cook-the-books/

If you want to support journalists, subscribe to specific newspapers and magazines that actually support their employees, don't just depend on money from ad services somehow reaching them.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Coldforge posted:

I mean, if you think the money from those ads actually helps *journalists* earn a living, I just don't know.

http://www.niemanlab.org/2015/07/newsonomics-do-newspaper-companies-have-a-strategy-beyond-milking-papers-for-profit/
https://dfmworkers.org/denver-post-newsroom-slashed-by-1-3-as-hedge-fund-continues-eviscerating-digital-first-media-papers/
https://www.thestreet.com/story/14355328/1/digital-first-media-s-ceo-steps-down-what-may-lie-ahead-for-dfm.html
http://newsonomics.com/newsonomics-did-digital-first-media-owner-alden-cook-the-books/

If you want to support journalists, subscribe to specific newspapers and magazines that actually support their employees, don't just depend on money from ad services somehow reaching them.

:thejoke:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

That's not at all how it reads to me, but okay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FYI, I just got an email about 30 minutes that 1Blocker X is now live in the App Store.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Proteus Jones posted:

FYI, I just got an email about 30 minutes that 1Blocker X is now live in the App Store.

Anyone who dropped the 5 bucks got any impressions?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

101 posted:

Anyone who dropped the 5 bucks got any impressions?

Seems to work better. With the original 1Blocker, a lot of pages still had blank placeholder areas where ads would be. X is better at hiding those as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I went ahead and bought it for $5 because the original 1Blocker is an app I use on now two devices every time I open Safari. I have no idea how well it works better, but at least it synced all my white lists and rules from the original 1Blocker. I’ve went ahead and turned them all off anyway though just to see if I still need them since a lot of them were hacks to make a website work.

Anyway the official blog details some of the changes the guy made to it. Biggest change is that 1Blocker X installs 7 Safari extensions instead of just one. He had to do this to get around the 50k rule limit for one extension, but at the same time he split off each category of blocking into its own extension that can be enabled at will.

One of the surprising things to me was that Safari needs to do some behind the scenes compiling to turn the rules into whatever more native code. I guess I understand now why it always took so long to enable a single rule because everything needed to be recompiled. Supposedly now with the multiple extensions only the specific extension (eg Whitelists) needs to be recompiled so it should be faster.

That one crazy guy who profiled a billion different adblockers seems to like it too (and 1Blocker was his pick to begin with).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Glad it seems like a genuinely improved app rather than a cash grap. Good devs deserve to be paid for their work.

Boris Galerkin posted:

That one crazy guy who profiled a billion different adblockers seems to like it too (and 1Blocker was his pick to begin with).

Who's that? Sounds quite interesting

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I see the new 1Blocker hides all Facebook ad posts where the last on didn’t (or got worse at blocking them as time went on. I can’t remember exactly.)

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

101 posted:

he's probably talking about Ben Brooks, who is right some of the time, but he also has a lot of very firmly held dumb opinions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

101 posted:

Glad it seems like a genuinely improved app rather than a cash grap. Good devs deserve to be paid for their work.

maduin posted:

he's probably talking about Ben Brooks, who is right some of the time, but he also has a lot of very firmly held dumb opinions.

Yeah that’s who I meant. Sadly it looks like he paywalled his review/benchmark, but the tldr version was that 1Blocker gave the best* performance boost (speedup and less data downloaded). Maybe you can find it on the internet wayback machine though.

(*I think 1Blocker was actually the 2nd best in his tests, coming in after the content blocker the Marco.org/Overcast guy made before he decided to remove it from the store.)

Thwomp posted:

I see the new 1Blocker hides all Facebook ad posts where the last on didn’t (or got worse at blocking them as time went on. I can’t remember exactly.)

Do you have “block comments” enabled? Tbh I don’t visit Facebook.com the actual website, just use the Messenger app, so I don’t know what you mean.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What's the best guided meditation app? I've tried Headspace but something just didn't click for me - want to try some others.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

What's the best guided meditation app? I've tried Headspace but something just didn't click for me - want to try some others.

Oak is pretty good and free.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
access to insight is free and huffs a few less farts then most meditation apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

What didn't you like about Headspace?

I started trying out guided meditation sometime in the last couple of months and I downloaded Headspace as well because it was so highly recommended. I didn't like it either, because I thought too much of it was metaphysical bullshit. People in another thread recommended the app 10% Happier. I tried that too, but again for me too much of it was metaphysical bullshit. It also didn't help that both Headspace and 10% Happier had just way too many options and choices. All I wanted to do was "meditate" and as someone who has never done that before which the gently caress option do I choose? There were like a million different choices and courses to follow and trainers and guides and ugh.

maduin posted:

Oak is pretty good and free.

I found Oak randomly in the app store looking through meditation apps, and the immediate thing that stood out was that Oak was free without a subscription model or in-app purchases. I'm okay with paying a subscription for something that benefits me don't get me wrong, but it being free was enough to get me to download it to try it out.

tl;dr: Oak is great.

:words::

Oak is great imo and works out for me because it's not full of metaphysical bullshit. The guide (female one anyway, never tried the male one) doesn't ask you subjective questions like "How do you feel? Do you feel better?" that the other apps do. She doesn't try to teach you bullshit about "dark clouds in the horizon" and how the goal is to see past them or whatever the gently caress Headspace was preaching. It doesn't tell me to watch any videos to orient myself. It doesn't tell me to do bullshit stuff like scanning my body, feeling this and that, and so on.

It's completely 100% practical, and for someone like me that's why it works cause I'm not constantly going ":rolleyes: okay this is dumb but whatever."

There are no lectures, nothing being preached, no videos, no lessons even. You open the app, and there are basically only two buttons: meditate and breathe. Breathe has 3 breathing exercises that surprisingly do work. You choose the one you want and press go and that's it. The meditation part lets you choose between guided and unguided, and you choose how long (10, 15, etc minutes). The audio is the same for all durations so there's nothing new to learn doing the longer ones and you're not missing out on anything doing the shorter ones. All the data is recorded into Apple Health, so the data is forever yours.

The guide itself focuses on things that actually make sense, instead of metaphysical bullshit. She starts you off by telling you to stretch a bit to relax, close your eyes, and then take some deep breaths. You don't have to scan your body or imagine happier places or whatever. You stretch, take some breaths, and then she asks you to focus on your breath and that's it. Every now and then she comes back and reminds you to focus, and at the end she winds you down by asking you to stretch. Like I said, everything she guides you to do is practical.

e: Since the guide is so minimal it's really easy to get into it and really easy to get to the point where you are self-sufficient and don't need the app anymore. The only reason I still load up the app every day is to get that data recorded into Apple Health :v:. And well also to keep my meditation streak in the app going.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 2, 2018