Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I guess I don't get why they are fleeing to the arctic to survive global cooling. You'd think they'd want to be equatorial as possible to get every last little bit of heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Soylent Pudding posted:

I guess I don't get why they are fleeing to the arctic to survive global cooling. You'd think they'd want to be equatorial as possible to get every last little bit of heat.

Its probably because the rest of the world is melting down into chaos and these generators etc. were setup in isolated places etc. to avoid being swamped with hundreds of thousands of refugees. I assume the world is melting down into frozen 1800's mad max in more civilized areas.

Even though you get refugees its realistically on a trickle of (un)lucky bastards who managed to get that far North.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Well, some things they didn't tell you, but probably should:

* Steam Hubs do not stack. If a building is under the influence of even a single Steam Hub, it receives the full benefits of heating and additional steam hubs will not stack. You cannot have everyone sitting comfortable and warm during the endgame because of spamming steam hubs. They will consume coal, but will not actually add heat.

* Automatons are an improvement over workers/engineers on mines and labs, but receive no boosts to production from Order/Faith advancements.

* The tech advancement that reduces the number of workers needed at a Hunting Lodge from 15 to 10 also reduces the number of workers needed in a Hunting Blimp from 15 to 10.

* You can't revoke a law once you've passed it, and laws that are two half-circles next to each other are mutually exclusive - you can sign one or the other, but not both.

* You can hold the right mouse button and drag to scroll.

* gently caress its cold out there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, this story news has persuaded me to give the game a pass for the time being. I only enjoy a game with that kind of dark, bleak atmosphere if the point is triumphing over it and being rewarded for sticking to your moral guns. Frostpunk seems a little too in love with its post-apocalyptic dystopia.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
it is at least technically possible to be a good guy, you just have to completely ignore a game mechanic (laws) after a certain fairly-early point in the game. Many of the early laws have choices with tradeoffs, and frequently the tradeoff is 'do the more efficient thing or do the morally right thing', but eventually no matter which path you take you will reach a point where the only remaining choices lead you deeper into fascism.

the problem is that things will get really bad, and some of those later fashy laws are extremely powerful (the later Order laws can periodically provide massive Hope bonuses for such low resource costs that they're basically free, for example), so it gets really tempting to bring down the jackboot even though you don't technically have to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Bates posted:

it is at least technically possible to be a good guy, you just have to completely ignore a game mechanic (laws) after a certain fairly-early point in the game. Many of the early laws have choices with tradeoffs, and frequently the tradeoff is 'do the more efficient thing or do the morally right thing', but eventually no matter which path you take you will reach a point where the only remaining choices lead you deeper into fascism.

the problem is that things will get really bad, and some of those later fashy laws are extremely powerful (the later Order laws can periodically provide massive Hope bonuses for such low resource costs that they're basically free, for example), so it gets really tempting to bring down the jackboot even though you don't technically have to.

Also, everything I've read says there's no actual good guy ending. The game assumes you're going to do some poo poo and the only question is whether you jump completely off the deep end and in which direction.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
that's kind of weird, because This War of Mine, while extremely bleak, definitely had good endings. it was possible, albeit difficult, to finish the game with happy endings for everyone where all your survivors went on to recover and have normal lives after the war ended.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

The game states in one of the cut scenes that the arctic is chosen due to large untouched coal deposits.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't really know how they can do "good versus bad" here as much. Yeah avoid wanton cruelty, but unlike TWOM we are talking about an extinction event here. "Was it worth what you did?" Yes, if beating up some seditionists was what it took for humanity not to go extinct then it drat well was.

TWOM was built around the idea that the war would someday end, and what you did during that time defined what you were at the end. But here it just doesn't work. The winter will probably never end, which makes the game ForTheGreaterGood.exe. yeah it is hosed up that you steam a lot of people to death for complaining about the cold, but if it means everyone else doesn't die too then score.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 26, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The second scenario actually lets you be the good guys I just finished it, I would say the Vaults is alot easier than the main scenario.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I did it I beat the winter or whatever. I didn't use child labor to do it neither.

That was honestly really, really fun. It was a rush at the very end. Automatons are VERY useful, maybe even necessary. Having a base line of coal development (Automaton+coal mine) really really helps.

I'm thinking the most important technology you can get is the steam hub efficiency upgrade. The generator efficiency techs are borderline useless. At the end my steam hubs used about 4k coal/day and my generator used... 60.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
There is a good ending, I just don't know if it's reached through low/no deaths or through good Laws yet.

I'll actually argue with the thread and say the games biggest weakness is playing "good" is far and above so powerful you have little to no reason not to. None of the bad law options ( cannibalism, child labor, poisoned food, etc ) really make much sense to do, even on Hard. All of the problems are pretty obviously coming well in advance, and are pretty easy to plan for. A single Hunters Hut can't sustain you past day 10, so you need to either get Scouts going or a Hothouse by then. You don't want your people gathering in the extreme cold so you want a Mill/Mines up pretty quickly since workshops have heaters ( also the basic resources are all pretty low. ). If you can get a Mill/Mine up before the first cold snap, you've basically won a no deaths run.

Even all the gotchas are pretty simple. The first cold snap will leave you with a ton of sick/wounded so you'll want multiple med bays as you work towards Infirmaries, but eh. I've got hospice care both times and just built care homes which hold 30 people and reduce their feeding needs to the point they barely exist. Then later when I build my Infirmary they all get healed up and I basically get 30 free workers. The first time I went through I just said gently caress the Gravelly Wounded and built a Graveyard instead. Only lost 5 people in recovery, and after that I had multiple Med Shelters/insulated housing so nobody else really died.

Then you have poo poo like the fighting hut/pub which basically remove the CYOA elements, because they remove Discontent at such a constant rate it might as well not exist. In my first game I went through as Order and chose all the good sounding Order stuff which apparently made me fascist for building basic police buildings, even though I never went down the exile/sedition stuff. This time I'm not because I have no need to. Having 2-3 pubs/fighting pits keeps my Discontent at a constant 0, even if I fail a good chunk of pleas.

Biggest hint I can give is to plan out your city. The first two rungs around your Gen should be nothing but Houses, fighting rings, and pubs. Your citizens spend 60-80% of their day at home/at pub/watching fighting, and if their home is guaranteed Comfortable you'll reduce a lot of sickness. Workplaces tend to be far better insulated, get better insulated over time, and can utilize heaters which are cheap as gently caress. I find "suburbs" are a bad idea, and instead it's better to set up little gated workshop communities built up around secondary gens/just using heaters because you can just turn all the extra heat on when people are working, which drastically reduces heat usage.

I beat the ending because my city didn't have to do anything, all of my people/most important buildings lived in the first 3 tiers around the Gen. So I didn't have to strain the Gen covering an entire city. I was able to keep it relatively set up feeding my core populace and the rest of the city largely either automated or had enough heat through heaters/secondary gens.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Hmmm... yes, I think children should work all jobs in my city."

*Glances at Public house of pleasure*

"On second thought maybe we should take this opportunity to use corpses as fertilizer."

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Did the devs do the research? Is it physically possible for it to get down to -200°F on earth?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Korthal posted:

Did the devs do the research? Is it physically possible for it to get down to -200°F on earth?

The sun is going out, so yes.

Also yes, because absolute zero is -459

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Korthal posted:

I am not quite sure I understand your question. What would be the limiting factor in it not getting that cold? The lowest theoretical temperature is -273C, which is like -500F iirc.

Or do you mean in the sense of our proximity to the sun? Mercury is blazing hot during the day, but it drops way below -200 at night because of the total lack of atmosphere.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The lowest natural temperature ever recorded on Earth in real life is about -130F, so it's definitely within the realm of possibility in an apocalyptic ice-age type scenario

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Well, just lost The Arks scenario on hard by 200 coal. Screw you New Manchester, your captain is a lazy bastard.

Once you figure out a few gotchas or tricks, normal mode is a bit of a joke to win, but hard mode is nicely challenging.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xaris posted:

Is that actually anymore efficient than just using the Coal Washer with Gathering Post?

Coal mines just take 10 workers and produce absolute shitloads of coal for the price of those workers. They also take up less space.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Coal mines just take 10 workers and produce absolute shitloads of coal for the price of those workers. They also take up less space.

Implying you don't need every mine you can get and more just to keep the generator running hot.

Maybe I wouldn't need to dump entire coal mines into the gen if they didn't design the thing to be a six story, open topped tower. Great engineering folks.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
2 upgraded coal mines will produce more coal than you will possibly need until you start approaching the endgame, and 3 mines (the maximum you can build in the default scenario) will usually see you through the endgame as well, especially if you use automatons or put the workers on 14-hour shifts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah the upgraded mines are comically efficient. Even more so with automatons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rookersh posted:

The sun is going out, so yes.

Also yes, because absolute zero is -459

Oh is that the reason? I figured it was global warming or like a weird science project gone awry.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am not quite sure I understand your question. What would be the limiting factor in it not getting that cold? The lowest theoretical temperature is -273C, which is like -500F iirc.

Or do you mean in the sense of our proximity to the sun? Mercury is blazing hot during the day, but it drops way below -200 at night because of the total lack of atmosphere.

The proximity to the sun and atmosphere.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

The Evil Thing posted:

Well, I mean... sure, I could build an infirmary and have 75 sick people and 5 in treatment. Would that solve the problem at its root?

EDIT: That was a single sample of a game where I was experimenting. My original game had 6 infirmaries and was still overrun with sick people, who then became gravely ill. Initially I thought it was because I'd built some bunkhouses outside the generator's range, but the numbers still surprised me.

EDIT 2: @vvv Yeah I'll keep hammering away. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I will be blunt here, are you running a legitimate version of the game bought in a store, or a cracked version?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

symphoniccacophony posted:

I will be blunt here, are you running a legitimate version of the game bought in a store, or a cracked version?

I have a hard time believing anyone publishing on GOG would have that hardcore style of piracy trolling.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I was wary to put a steam hub out by the harvesting buildings - but I did in the early game and I think it paid off big.

You don't need to worry about caring for the sick if nobody gets sick.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
There's thee different ways to get infinitely sustainable coal which is cool.

I did the standard mines on my 1st playthrough, but I might try just doing heavy wood production with charcoal exclusively on my next.

How is the thumper? It seems like I'd have to devote a lot of people to man the thumper and two posts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

There's thee different ways to get infinitely sustainable coal which is cool.

I did the standard mines on my 1st playthrough, but I might try just doing heavy wood production with charcoal exclusively on my next.

How is the thumper? It seems like I'd have to devote a lot of people to man the thumper and two posts.

Four posts when it's upgraded.

It's actually a pretty good way to cram a lot of people into a small workspace, if you have a lot of people and need them to do something.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Glazius posted:

Four posts when it's upgraded.

It's actually a pretty good way to cram a lot of people into a small workspace, if you have a lot of people and need them to do something.

Wow so that must seriously outperform a mine - just requires a lot of manpower. PLUS you could theoretically put it within the central generator or within a single steam hub. Hmmm.....

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Xaris posted:

Is that actually anymore efficient than just using the Coal Washer with Gathering Post?

I'm not certain about efficiency, but Gathering Posts involve a shitload of people working outside in -150°C, while the charcoal dudes are inside with a heater on. I'm not sure whether it's the efficient way to do things (I'm pretty sure it's not, in fact), but it does work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Been following this thread since my last post; sounds like the overall impression's pretty positive? I'll probably bite the bullet then, pick this up on Saturday, Sunday.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Been following this thread since my last post; sounds like the overall impression's pretty positive? I'll probably bite the bullet then, pick this up on Saturday, Sunday.

I feel like the reception has been pretty icy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's a cool game no matter how you look at it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solid negative for me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Chill, my dude.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why the cold shoulder?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've always had a bit of a frigid personality.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well then this game won't thaw your heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

From what I've heard, it'll probably have the polar opposite effect.