Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The "go trigger this trap" missions have been interesting. First mission had a Stalker (which I actually pilot-killed, but annoyingly enough the contract didn't have an option for a triple salvage pic so I only got two parts). Second one I took had me attacked by the "ambush" lance like 2 turns in, well before I'd even found the bait. ...Eventually a vehicle blip moving in the assault phase finally appeared slowly moving towards me after I'd already mostly worked through the lance - yeah, it was a Demolisher. And funnily enough, Demolishers really aren't terribly dangerous with no support against people who outrange them.

Also I'm past the prison break mission and still don't have a Heavy, so it's perfectly doable if you're careful. Also haven't lost a pilot yet, though come close a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw Glitch, you murder loving sugarpixie :3:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I know absolutely ZERO about BATTLETECH other than I've seen the name before. I like XCOM. Will I like this game?

It looks like it has a lot of menus and that seems cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Be careful how quickly you do plot missions. They seem to scale up base level of difficulty everywhere. Every system is now 2 skull minmum and the lowest contracts I can find are 1.5 skull with the vast majority being 2.5

Im on the edge of bankruptcy constantly since any 2.5 star mission is going to knock out some of my good mech for a while. You really need those extra mech bays.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

I know absolutely ZERO about BATTLETECH other than I've seen the name before. I like XCOM. Will I like this game?

I was just about to post despite knowing next to nothing about BATTLETECH (I played the old Mechwarrior games and had no idea they were related) I decided to pick this up.

So far it's awesome, if you like turn based combat games with a high degree of customization and a high skill ceiling this is your jam. I'm just scratching the surface of the mechanics and trying to figure out what all the random acronyms mean but the combat and lance building are very deep and I could see myself getting lost in it. That's not to say you have to get into the min/maxing aspect you can probably get by just fine with whatever the default loadouts are, but there is an appeal to crafting a finely tuned lance outfit for each situation.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

If it was XCOM EU you'll like it. The pace is a little slower but if you could deal with EU clunkiness you can deal with this. XCOM 2 will make this feel like molasses. XCOM UFO defense will make this feel like a drag racer

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't even like giant robots much less a specific brand of em and still think this game is cool as gently caress. Messing around with Initiative and Called Shots and Knockdown is really fun. Designing your own dudes and harvesting em and all that just rules. My one complaint is that initiating combat is really murky.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What abilities has everyone picked for their commander? I continue to be paralyzed with indecision about it.

I think the reason I can't decide which abilities to get is I"m completely torn on two different plans/paths I wanna take. Grasshopper (or other fast heavy that can punch good) or Orion (or other swole, beefy heavy/assault focused around one or two powerful guns and some supporting weapons), both would appreciate mostly different skills.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Mordiceius posted:

If you haven't bought it yet, and are happy to wait a while, maybe give it a week or two. It's great and I don't regret playing it now, but the game really needs a few patches.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 26, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zore posted:

Be careful how quickly you do plot missions. They seem to scale up base level of difficulty everywhere. Every system is now 2 skull minmum and the lowest contracts I can find are 1.5 skull with the vast majority being 2.5

Im on the edge of bankruptcy constantly since any 2.5 star mission is going to knock out some of my good mech for a while. You really need those extra mech bays.

Difficulty of offered missions is something that changes based on what system you're in, too. If you're on the star map/navigation screen, you should be able to see some info about the system's relative risk level.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What abilities has everyone picked for their commander? I continue to be paralyzed with indecision about it.

I think the reason I can't decide which abilities to get is I"m completely torn on two different plans/paths I wanna take. Grasshopper (or other fast heavy that can punch good) or Orion (or other swole, beefy heavy/assault focused around one or two powerful guns and some supporting weapons), both would appreciate mostly different skills.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing but my plan for Commander is to get Multi-Target (started at 4 Guns so...) and Master Tactician. Lots of aim and turn advantage, seems simple enough to shoot people with.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Strobe posted:

Difficulty of offered missions is something that changes based on what system you're in, too. If you're on the star map/navigation screen, you should be able to see some info about the system's relative risk level.

If you're close to bankruptcy you probably don't have the cash to fly 2 months back to a milk run system.

I'm past the prison, no heavies, and a series of 2.5 missions and a couple of mistakes has me really riding the line on finance. If not for a lucky panther salvage I wouldn't even have a full lance to field for 15 days.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

The "go trigger this trap" missions have been interesting. First mission had a Stalker (which I actually pilot-killed, but annoyingly enough the contract didn't have an option for a triple salvage pic so I only got two parts). Second one I took had me attacked by the "ambush" lance like 2 turns in, well before I'd even found the bait. ...Eventually a vehicle blip moving in the assault phase finally appeared slowly moving towards me after I'd already mostly worked through the lance - yeah, it was a Demolisher. And funnily enough, Demolishers really aren't terribly dangerous with no support against people who outrange them.

Also I'm past the prison break mission and still don't have a Heavy, so it's perfectly doable if you're careful. Also haven't lost a pilot yet, though come close a few times.

I keep doing these in hopes there's an assault I can chain stagger till the pilot dies, but I keep getting dumb poo poo. Like the last one was a shrek PPC carrier and a lance of lights that I rolled hard. Still a million C-bills is a Million C-bills.

Also I don't feel skulls are indicative of poo poo. I've done a 3.5 skull mission that is nothing but random lights led by a medium (That one I just mentioned) then you roll onto a 2.5 story mission that throughs multiple heavies at you.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone having a problem with mech components NEVER showing up in stores, even on manufacturing worlds? I'm kind stuck in rut right now because of it, I'm really need some heavy mechs considering the kind of firepower the game is starting to throw at me.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Rhymenoserous posted:

Also I don't feel skulls are indicative of poo poo. I've done a 3.5 skull mission that is nothing but random lights led by a medium (That one I just mentioned) then you roll onto a 2.5 story mission that throughs multiple heavies at you.

Skulls are just the total tonnage, since enemies are not limited to 4 mechs like you it means you can get any composition from 3 heavies to 9 lights without any indicators changing. Also for random missions it appears to be generated only on the mission start, not on accepting the contract.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Synthbuttrange posted:

Do enemy units ever break or flee? It feels like they should but there've been quite a few missions where it ended with my heavies vs the last surviving light that runs up and punches my mechs in the knees. :3:

Sometimes the assassination target tries to run, but that's all I've seen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Boy did that give me a surprise when I first figured that out. "WHAT. This mission only had Jenners and Locusts before. WHERE THE gently caress DID THESE FIRESTARTERS COME FROM?!" :supaburn:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Pyromancer posted:

Skulls are just the total tonnage, since enemies are not limited to 4 mechs like you it means you can get any composition from 3 heavies to 9 lights without any indicators changing. Also for random missions it appears to be generated only on the mission start, not on accepting the contract.

Total tonnage is a bit wonky, because one Atlas is much, much more of a threat than, say, four Locusts. It'd be nice if there was something to indicate whatever tonnage the skulls correspond to, as well as something like "Heaviest expected enemy: 55 tons". That way I'd know exactly how much enemy I'm going to be facing, and have some inkling as to what the biggest threat is gonna look like. And also I'd have some idea as to whether or not there's good salvage to be had. For example, I could see "Ah, there's a 75-ton 'mech on this mission, okay, I'll negotiate for much better salvage than usual"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just finished the moon mission. Everyone was pretty heavily damaged, Shadowcat lost an arm (fortunately nothing interesting in it), and my main character's in the medbay for a bit, but otherwise all right. Also I couldn't try to precision strike the main mech for salvage, after my Shadowcat and hero fell over I just needed to end it before she could get stepped on.

Do we know the baseline heat dissipation for mechs without any heat sinks?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's 'not enough'

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm a while past the prion mission and have 2 mech bays full of mechs and no heavy. Just poor luck I think. I'm totally cleaning the table on missions but RNG has not been kind. I went up against an orion and almost captured it but it got away. My commander is rocking a hunchback with a AC20 +damage +stab damage I got behemoth in a trebuchet, glitch is still in her starting mech and man that thing is nice and dekker has a certurion. I want a heavy so bad.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The DFA leg mod ought to reduce damage taken while doing DFA, not just give a paltry +5 damage.

Agreen
May 16, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Total tonnage is a bit wonky, because one Atlas is much, much more of a threat than, say, four Locusts. It'd be nice if there was something to indicate whatever tonnage the skulls correspond to, as well as something like "Heaviest expected enemy: 55 tons". That way I'd know exactly how much enemy I'm going to be facing, and have some inkling as to what the biggest threat is gonna look like. And also I'd have some idea as to whether or not there's good salvage to be had. For example, I could see "Ah, there's a 75-ton 'mech on this mission, okay, I'll negotiate for much better salvage than usual"

Yeah I've been burned a few times by 'three and a half skull' missions that turn out to be a bunch of vehicles, lights, and a Shadowhawk.

On the other hand I got a Catapult from a two skill mission so I shouldn't really complain.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The DFA leg mod ought to reduce damage taken while doing DFA, not just give a paltry +5 damage.

There is a different type of mod that reduces self damage from DFA.

"Pitban Kangaroo Leg Mod "
"- 30 DFA Self Dmg.",

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
edit: whoops double post

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Bruceski posted:

Just finished the moon mission. Everyone was pretty heavily damaged, Shadowcat lost an arm (fortunately nothing interesting in it), and my main character's in the medbay for a bit, but otherwise all right. Also I couldn't try to precision strike the main mech for salvage, after my Shadowcat and hero fell over I just needed to end it before she could get stepped on.

Do we know the baseline heat dissipation for mechs without any heat sinks?

-30, or equivalent to ten heatsinks, for all mechs. In other words,

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's 'not enough'

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

every time i encounter a heavy 'mech i wind up coring it out instead of getting the legs or the pilot and this is like the fourth time it's happened and that makes me annoyed

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just completed the 3 Years Later mission, but with my commander injured and out for 26 days and his mech is missing an arm and part of his torso.

I want to try it again, but part of me wants to suck it up and continue.

Game good btw

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

I just completed the 3 Years Later mission, but with my commander injured and out for 26 days and his mech is missing an arm and part of his torso.

I want to try it again, but part of me wants to suck it up and continue.

Game good btw

Suck it up and continue. I've had single mech repair bills over 500,000 cbills and the only survivor among the original mechwarriors is Glitch but i am still going, because if i was redoing every mission I wouldn't have played enough to have just put together a Battlemaster :getin:

my commander was injured for 86 days, with an expanded medbay no less, at one point

Miasman
Aug 7, 2011

Oh, you!
Done a good few side missions and just completed the first main moon mission.

As someone who knew nothing about Battletech other than it involved robot punching and tied in with Mechwarrior 2 in some way; game is good. Really good.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Just curious what the game is like bug wise I am getting really mixed messages. Although, it seems like newer rigs are having the most issues? I have lots of other games I could play. However, I am content to wait if I am running the risk of save file corruption or really frustrating bugs like Xcom. Which I am seeing a number of comparisons to playability wise

I also remember reading in some of the development letters that they cut certain elements from the game either because they couldn't get it to work in time or at all. Was there a list of what they plan to patch in later. I assuming there will be something like Shadow Runs' Director's Cut edition at some point.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Lol I am completely space broke - I have all of 10,000 credits to my name. Every mission I take is just enough to pay the bills and we're totally hosed if another mech blows up.

Oh also 3 year mission and both myself and Dekker wind up in medbay for 3 and half months.

:negative:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Aw Glitch, you murder loving sugarpixie :3:

In a mission tonight, she scored a 1-hit headshot kill on a Thunderbolt with her PPC, and she got so excited. Pretty sure she's my favorite mechwarrior, although the ghost of Dekker comes close (he seems to die in everyone's campaign).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hoboskins posted:

Just curious what the game is like bug wise I am getting really mixed messages. Although, it seems like newer rigs are having the most issues? I have lots of other games I could play. However, I am content to wait if I am running the risk of save file corruption or really frustrating bugs like Xcom. Which I am seeing a number of comparisons to playability wise

It can be slow like Xcom was but I haven't had it just outright hang. And nothing like some of the more insane Xcom bugs where the map would warp when Berserkers moved or mind control would stop the AI from functioning. I had one crash to desktop but the game was kind enough to have autosaved immediately beforehand. It doesn't save on turns so that might be an issue if you have actual problems with the game.

Being able to adjust the cinematic camera poo poo helps a lot with overall speed. Overall I'd say it performs much better than Xcom 2 did at launch, but that might just be one day out. The loads are bizarre and need to be fixed. Nothing quite like seeing Steam's little fps counter shoot up past 500 and also the loading animation keeping that pace.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hoboskins posted:

Just curious what the game is like bug wise I am getting really mixed messages. Although, it seems like newer rigs are having the most issues?

Not always, I bought my PC brand-new last year and I had none of the problems other people encountered. Looks more like the issue is luck based.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Russian Woman is easily the best mechwarrior VO. Gonna be sad when my main character replaces her, after finally finishing this loving 90+ day stay at the infirmary.

I'm mostly running heavy mechs now, but I'm still bringing along the starting Shadowhawk. I recently switched out its SRM-focused build for pure melee one with a couple melee damage mods (+20 and +40), and man, it is loving devastating. A single punch tends to take out an arm and a torso on heavy, while also removing their guard/evasion and doing a good chunk of stability damage. Having no guns at all is a little iffy, but closing in isn't -too- bad with the Shadowhawk's decent speed and max jump jets. And you can always sensor lock during the turns where you can't hit something. I think I'll keep it this way.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This dekker or dakkar guy keeps trying to die on me. Last mission he ended up with an AC round to the face after falling down. Got some ridiculous recovery time, all the while I’m expected to pay him?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Vargs posted:

Russian Woman is easily the best mechwarrior VO. Gonna be sad when my main character replaces her, after finally finishing this loving 90+ day stay at the infirmary.

I'm mostly running heavy mechs now, but I'm still bringing along the starting Shadowhawk. I recently switched out its SRM-focused build for pure melee one with a couple melee damage mods (+20 and +40), and man, it is loving devastating. A single punch tends to take out an arm and a torso on heavy, while also removing their guard/evasion and doing a good chunk of stability damage. Having no guns at all is a little iffy, but closing in isn't -too- bad with the Shadowhawk's decent speed and max jump jets. And you can always sensor lock during the turns where you can't hit something. I think I'll keep it this way.

Wait until you get a Grasshopper and can do basically the exact same thing (provided you slap a Master Tactician in it to get init 3) but with 6 flamers or small lasers to augment the punch

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Alright new rules in the Mech lance - if you break it, you bought it! I'm not footing the bills for your incompetence anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bruceski posted:

Is poptarting (shooting mid jump before landing back behind cover) possible in here, or is that just a MWO thing?

Poptarting is actually a thing, as I found out when I could only hit a bunch of buildings on a plateau when my mechs jumped.

Mid jump, everything in your jump path counts for the shot. Presumably you can also be shot, even if you began and ended in cover.