Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

are you kidding? it worked great, by which I mean you didn’t have to use Windows to do Windows development

This explains so, so much about Apple's efforts to write Windows apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

eschaton posted:

bet you can’t guess what kind of Sims mods he liked

the 'realistic' hair mods

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fiedler posted:

This explains so, so much about Apple's efforts to write Windows apps.

…but Apple didn’t write much of any Windows stuff while CodeWarrior targeting x86 was a thing?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/989231349503528961

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao at this in the chain
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/989242271261495296?s=19

the people have spoken I guess, just gotta deal with it

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

qirex posted:

something I once saw:
1. someone sees lots of expensive old tech workers, does a spreadsheet that shows they'll save X million offering them early retirement
2. they ask for reqs for new people for the outgoing team to train but get delayed because the old folks are still on their budget
3. the old team leaves, replacements come in after and don't know what the gently caress
4. company hires back the old team as consultants at ~3x their old salary for a year

what's funny is they probably still came out ahead, just barely

pound wise, penny foolish

Day late, but you're basically describing IBM's core staffing model these last 8 years.
They focused exclusively on 40+ workers, particularly those with the most vested options, and while there are other, better sources, these two break it down well.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152080/ibm-layoffs-age-discrimination-report
[https://features.propublica.org/ibm/ibm-age-discrimination-american-workers/

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

…but Apple didn’t write much of any Windows stuff while CodeWarrior targeting x86 was a thing?

Huh. So there's some other reason why the apps look like they were written by people who have literally never used Windows?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fiedler posted:

Huh. So there's some other reason why the apps look like they were written by people who have literally never used Windows?

apple used their internal UI guidelines which didn't consider windows. same reason google's ios apps look like android

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I refuse to sign in to twitter or install their app, because I'm stubborn.

Twitter video transfer speeds have anecdotally gone to hell since I made this decision, but the other day it straight up told me I'm throttled and have to wait before I can view more tweets. This was maybe the second tweet link I'd clicked that afternoon.

We'll see who breaks first, twitter or my unrelenting, stubborn iconoclasm that has held me captive and guided my life choices since I was 3.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I have to reload Twitter to see linked posts constantly on mobile. It's really dumb

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Twitter and YouTube are loving garbage at moderation.

YouTube just gave a community guidelines strike to a trans man's video about picking up his legally prescribed testosterone shots, and what the process to get the prescribed and such was like. Apparently it was reported and "on review" was determined to violate community guidelines, in the same fashion guides on making bombs do.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao at this in the chain
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/989242271261495296?s=19

the people have spoken I guess, just gotta deal with it

That's a hot take. A poll asking if someone is a prick = rape threats and doxing.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

well, he is a prick

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bunni-kat posted:

Twitter and YouTube are loving garbage at moderation.

YouTube just gave a community guidelines strike to a trans man's video about picking up his legally prescribed testosterone shots, and what the process to get the prescribed and such was like. Apparently it was reported and "on review" was determined to violate community guidelines, in the same fashion guides on making bombs do.

goog and twitter should be shut down and shot into the sun

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i bet they'd grow some better enforcement if they were held legally accountable to something like hate speech or a suicide

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/fchollet/status/989290688738086912

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
bring on the arcologies

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
lol, look at 1bdrms in tokyo.

they make community college dorm rooms look spacious and extravagant.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ChargerCarl/status/989304188533293056

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so we blow up half the bay area with incendiary bombs, rebuild the whole thing from scratch with shitloads of above-ground rail and use organized crime money to fuel multiple successive real estate bubbles? works for me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

houses are also built cheap with the expectation they'll be torn down and rebuilt in a few decades

according to a podcast I listened to at least - probably 99pi

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

the real hero of the film :salute:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
computer can i get a zorin hat wobble

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Munkeymon posted:

the real hero of the film :salute:
that scene in particular was very prophetic about the future of management/labor relations in the bay area

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

houses are also built cheap with the expectation they'll be torn down and rebuilt in a few decades

according to a podcast I listened to at least - probably 99pi

that's they same way they're built around here, except they never get torn down

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lancemantis posted:

lol largely same.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lancemantis posted:

the floor in my apartment has become decidedly non-flat over the time i've lived there :toot:

also when it rains hard a bunch of water comes out of the bathroom light fixture :toot: :toot:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

also when it rains hard a bunch of water comes out of the bathroom light fixture :toot: :toot:

Is it rainwater?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

lancemantis posted:

assuming that houses get torn down every decade or so probably affects

depreciation rates (another tax policy / real estate tie )

continuity of construction demand

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Is it rainwater?

:thunk:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

This motherfucker ruined my life

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the floor in my apartment has become decidedly non-flat over the time i've lived there :toot:

park your bikes in there and you'll never have to change their blinker fluid

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FMguru posted:

that scene in particular was very prophetic about the future of management/labor relations in the bay area

oh hmm forgot about that

I guess Zorn is a man of contrasts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

there's a white pixel blinking in the upper left corner that is extremely upsetting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

there's a white pixel blinking in the upper left corner that is extremely upsetting

mlyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.