Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Here are a few books about 50's spree killer Charles Starkweather. The first one was published in 1960, and is pretty rare.

Here are a few fundamentalist Christian anti-rock books from the height of the mid-80's "Satanic Panic." All three are from Chick Publications, so you know they're good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Here are a few books about 50's spree killer Charles Starkweather. The first one was published in 1960, and is pretty rare.

I have the second book and it is a great read. Charlie was my wife's grandmother's first cousin.

Have you read all three? Much difference between them?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

mds2 posted:

I have the second book and it is a great read. Charlie was my wife's grandmother's first cousin.

Have you read all three? Much difference between them?

You lucked out and read the best of the three. It's the most recent (1993), and builds on all of the other books that've been published on Starkweather and Fugate, while also being compelling and well-written.

The one with the skeleton on the cover is from 1960, and was published as part of a "Police Science" series. It's dry, but has a ton of information, as well as pictures of artwork and writing that Starkweather did during his short time on death row.

The one with the map on the cover is from 1976, and is a typical "true crime" book. It doesn't go into a lot of background, but it's a quick and decent read.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

These aren't exactly books, but close enough.

Murder Can Be Fun (1986 - 2007) was easily one of the greatest zines ever made. Author Johnny Marr managed to dig up and meticulously research some seriously obscure and darkly hilarious material. If you ever see a copy, do yourself a favor and read it!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are a couple of zines by artist Raymond Pettibon, published by Black Flag record label SST in the mid-80's:

Here are five issues of a men's humor magazine from the mid-20's:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I sell books on amazon, so i run into crazy books all the loving time. I found this book the other day and i don't know how to get a read on it because most of the text inside is in chinese. it appears to be a history of chinese currency but the unique thing about it is that it has what appear to be chinese coins glued into it? I dunno check it out:

It's a nice book, and in good condition for something i got from a thrift store.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Hell Yeah posted:

I sell books on amazon, so i run into crazy books all the loving time. I found this book the other day and i don't know how to get a read on it because most of the text inside is in chinese. it appears to be a history of chinese currency but the unique thing about it is that it has what appear to be chinese coins glued into it? I dunno check it out:

It's a nice book, and in good condition for something i got from a thrift store.

That's pretty cool. I would definitely buy something like that if I came across it in a used bookstore (and it was cheap).

Do you have pictures of any of the crazy books you've seen? If so, please post them!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I posted this book in the thread about John Kricfalusi, the sack of poo poo who created Ren & Stimpy. It has some fun stories about dumb shows like "You Can't Do That on Television," so if you're into that sort of thing, check it out.

The notoriously cheap Cannon Films (aka Golan-Globus) bought the film rights for the Superman franchise, and the hilariously terrible result was Superman 4: The Quest for Peace. (Anyone into lovely movies should watch the documentary Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films.) Anyway, this is an adaption from Scholastic Books.

Del Close is a comedy legend, and this book is a funny account of him during the last year of his life.

Here's a fun autobiography by Emma Goldman's lover Alexander Berkman, who spent years in prison after attempting to assassinate industrialist Henry Clay Frick:

This may not be of interest to anyone but weirdos like me, but I'm going to post it anyway. Here are the title pages for a couple of books published during World War II. They are hardcover books, yet printed on cheap newsprint-quality paper due to wartime rationing. I'm sort of surprised they haven't disintegrated during the past 75 years. My copies don't have dust jackets, but I assume they had them when they were new. I am curious what sort of paper stock they used for those, and if the jackets just rotted away.

Miscellaneous books from my overflowing shelves:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here's a sensationalist paperback about the Unabomber that was published shortly after he was caught. It also includes the text of his manifesto.

This one is about the psychological experiments Ted Kaczynski was subjected to while a student at Harvard.

These books are about the bizarre case of Mark Hoffman, who forged embarrassing Mormon historical documents and then sold them to the LDS church so they could lock them away from public view. When it looked like he might be caught, he killed two people with bombs in a crazy attempt to divert suspicion. Yeah, it makes no sense, but it's still an interesting story. The first book is a typical true crime paperback, but I enjoyed it. Salamander is the better of the two. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my used copy was signed by the authors.

Here are signed copies of books by a few of my favorite authors:

This is the story of a guy who traveled around the country getting work as a dishwasher when he needed money. He used to publish a zine about his adventures, also called Dishwasher. He was friends with the owner (Chloe) of a zine shop (Reading Frenzy) in Portland, and signed all of the copies they had for sale there.

Phil "The Whiskey Rebel" Irwin is the guitarist of the 80's Portland punk band Rancid Vat. This book is nothing but stories of all of the lovely jobs he's had. It could have really used a professional editor, but some of the stories are great. I lost my first copy, and when I bought a used replacement it had an inscription.

This one is about Phil, his wife Marla (also in Rancid Vat), and their son Elvis moving from Portland to Philadelphia.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Could you please post a few of those limericks?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Troma movies are almost always awful, but I appreciate them anyway, mostly because they are self-aware of exactly how cheap and lovely they are.

James Gunn is an interesting writer, and I'm happy he's found success with those Guardians of the Galaxy movies. This is a strange novel, and while it isn't a great book, it's better than most, and is quite memorable.

Some books about comic books:

I have a ton of books about punk rock. Here are a few:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

fucken noice

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My dad had this book (in a different edition from either of these) and its sequel on the family-room bookshelves when I was a kid, and I picked one up when I was 8 or 9 and had a pretty weird surprise. Thankfully it was just baffling and not traumatizing.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Could you please post a few of those limericks?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

I contend 769 is in fact "otherwise", not "erotic"--thanks! It's strange there's a book of these things one after the other--are they all anonymous?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I legit bought this book from my campus bookstore's weird discount bin back in university for $5.

It's hilariously bad. There's a whole bit where Hasslehoff credits himself with German reunification because of the power of his 'music'.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pretty spot-on imho

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hey, Sad Sack! In my Grandpa's old stuff my mom still has, including his war time souvenirs are magazines for the soldiers, which had a bunch of comics in them among the articles. Some of them are stuff that were in the contemporary newspapers like Snuffy Smith or whatever, and some are soldier comics, including a lot of Sad Sack strips. Sad Sack is basically like Beetle Bailey, only they are on the warfront, not a home base.

Also Re: The Lloyd Kaufman/Troma book, I have that one and two others, all autographed by Lloyd personally when I met him at an event. In one of them he calls my ex-wife a goddess. He also autographed a bunch of DVD sleeves for me...but she kept them in the divorce. Womp.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Killer! This guy is the MAN.
https://twitter.com/KirkDemarais
http://secretfunspot.blogspot.com

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Not really a weird book but I picked up what is now the oldest book I own this weekend - from 1804.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Please excuse my lovely photography:

and my favourite section:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Please excuse my lovely photography:

and my favourite section:

This looks amazing. Where'd you get it?

I stopped by the Salvation Army yesterday and bought these two timeless classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNfag1hosI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3qxgFbThIU

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I don't know how many folks remember David Gonterman... Anyway my roommate gave me this for my birthday years ago. It's completely insane. The bad guy in it is named Ombacain, but Barack Obama is also a character in the book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Skratte posted:

I don't know how many folks remember David Gonterman... Anyway my roommate gave me this for my birthday years ago. It's completely insane. The bad guy in it is named Ombacain, but Barack Obama is also a character in the book.

Hot drat. I knew Gonterman was self-publishing now, but this is the first I've heard of anyone buying his stuff. What inspired your roommate to this purchase?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
David Gonterman absolutely disproves the 10,000 hour rule because he has been drawing every single day of his life for literally decades and has not gotten even a little bit better.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This looks amazing. Where'd you get it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freedom-More-Than-Just-Seven-Letter/dp/1906169314

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Heath posted:

David Gonterman absolutely disproves the 10,000 hour rule because he has been drawing every single day of his life for literally decades and has not gotten even a little bit better.

You know the sayings about "everyone has X bad drawings/words in them?" David is a sink for those bad drawings/words. Every young writer or artist who's good out of the gate drops their quota on his head, and he has to keep getting them out. He's keeping the universe in balance, really.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Vincent Price cookbooks are solid. Dude was a master chef as his hobby outside of acting.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I am so covetous of the Price cookbook, that’s awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
These aren't as crazy or fascinating as some of the stuff in this great thread, but I still have photos on my phone so...

A while back, while helping out at an old op-shop I was tasked with taking some old books to the back room, either to get stored away for future sale or to get sent off to other op-shops. One of them was Walt Disney's America, from the... 1960s? I don't have any photos of the front (which isn't enormously interesting to be honest), but I flicked it open to a random page before putting it away and landed on these:

Looking the book up, these must have been from a picture book version of Old Yeller. Fun for the whole family!

A couple of other things I took photos of while putting them away:

An apparently very-popular self-help book from the 70s, with a back cover caked in quotes and extremely cheerful men in suits:

And a friendly reminder that Star Wars Is For Children:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Here are a handful of old books warning about the scourge of global communism:

This is a pretty interesting book actually and is different from those other, right-wing, paranoia books about ... the imminent communist takeover in America in 1964!!!

I would recommend it. Richard Wright is in it, as is Arthur Koestler going over their time in communist parties (including the German and American communist parties) that were aligned with Stalin in the 1930s, what brought them into it, how they grew disillusioned with them and fell out of it. I believe the CIA might've (probably did) had a hand in this compilation for obvious reasons. So even if it was used as a propaganda tract, it's worth reading and it shows just how badly off-the-rails Marxism-Leninism can go. Worth reading for anyone interested in communism, extremist political movements, totalitarianism, and so on, and the 1930s.

I'm going to post some of mine later.
Aw hell yeah. I've got some of these. If Jehovah's Witnesses ever come to your door, you can sometimes get your hands on this stuff for free. The only problem is that they might come back to try and recruit you. And by might I mean they will.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 24, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Collected Bulletins of Idi Amin by Alan Coren

Not actually the words of Idi Amin, but a satirical parody version of him by British comedian Alan Coren. In retrospect, most definitely now in poor taste, as I don't think it was quite obvious at the time how murderous Amin was. Also seems rather racist in my view, as Coren mimics Amin's accent and speech patterns in the text to make light of him.

Juntas United! by Peter Chippindale and Ed Harriman

Despite the Mad-magazine-esque cover art, it's a fairly straightforward journalistic overview of various Cold War despots of both fascist and Marxist-Leninist varieties.

Le Corbuiser by Stephen Gardiner.

A hagiographic (i.e. glorifying) biography of one of the founding fathers of brutalist architecture. Found for like $1 in the deep-discount section of Half Price Books.

National Lampoon's DOON by Ellis Weiner

This one is special. This is an actual novel ripping off Frank Herbert's Dune featuring House Agamemnides and House Hardchargin (plotting with Emperor Shaddup IV) as they battle for control of the wide-spectrum intoxicant known as beer on the sugar-planet Arruckus, where giant pretzels roam the sugar wastes. He who controls the beer controls commerce. Also the CHOAM company is known as NOAMCHOMSKI.

A must-have for any Dune freak.

A copy of Spartacist by the Spartacist League, the U.S. section of the International Communist League (Fourth International).

The POUM, which they're attacking, is the Spanish militia George Orwell fought in.

I got this when in college after a couple of middle-aged guys from the Spartacist League, a small Trotskyist groupuscule, set up shop on the campus quad to hold signs with pro-North Korea statements and to hawk the party newspaper Workers Vanguard. I ended up feuding with them over God-knows-what, which almost caused a scene in one of the busiest areas of campus (one of the Spartacists squared off with me even). Anyways the next day I returned and apologized (well, I was a bit rude) and signed up for a year's subscription to the party newspaper. I also received this. Little did I know at the time that the Spartacist League were once supporters of the North American Man/Boy Love Association.

Are they still supporters? Unknown. But if I were calling the shots, I'd keep an eye on them.

Will America Survive? aka The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White.

White was one of the founders of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and this is one of their important texts, detailing a historic battle between Jesus Christ and Satan, which will culminate in a final battle / End Times when the faithful will be taken into Heaven and the Earth will be destroyed. Also has strong anti-Catholic themes. Anyways I got this handed out to me by an Adventist guy who was standing in front of a Pei Wei while trying to sign up people for Christian paintball. I did not sign up for Christian paintball.

Fidel Castro Speeches 1984-85: War & Crisis in the Americas by Fidel Castro

Another $1 pick in the bargain section of Half Price Books. Not bad! I love the hideous green cover. These speeches were also done during some extremely bloody civil wars in Central America, which increased Castro's influence as he supported various factions fighting at the time. He had a habit of giving extremely long speeches which made for a lot of material.

A copy of OUT/LOOK National Lesbian & Gay Quarterly.

An interesting gay & lesbian magazine that was influential in the late 80s and early 90s. This edition was satirizing homophobic tabloid journalism. Anyways the magazine seems quaint now but was then very radical.

Showdown by some guy.

A $1 purchase bought purely for the cover art. I cannot read Russian. But it seems to be a gangster novel called Showdown and was published in 1995.

On the Opposition by Joseph Stalin

I picked this collection of writings by Soviet supremo Joseph Stalin recently at a used and rare bookstore for about $10. This was printed in China by the USSR's state translating and publishing house in the 70s, and it collected Stalin's writings in the 1920s attacking his opponents in the Communist Party (including Trotsky) as Stalin consolidated and built one of the strongest personal dictatorships in history.

One thing that's interesting is the thin, scritta-like paper, like the Bible.

Anyways these official combloc ideological books are extremely Official and this reminds me of pictures I've seen of North Korean souvenir shops where you can buy the Collected Works of Kim Il Sung and such. Just a simple hardback.

Also, a lot of the people who Stalin is talking about in those chapters, including Trotsky, wound up dead a few years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ZDMO4lM3k

Who killed them? I mean... you know. But I mean, hey man, I don't want any trouble. I don't like to ask too many questions.

Hey... get your hands off me! What are you doing? No! Please! I swear the whole thing with the Spartacist League is a misunderstanding. I didn't really read any of those newspapers! Where are you taking me!? Stop!!!

*gets bundled into a van and disappears*

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 24, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I got this when in college after a couple of middle-aged guys from the Spartacist League, a small Trotskyist groupuscule, set up shop on the campus quad to hold signs with pro-North Korea statements and to hawk the party newspaper Workers Vanguard. I ended up feuding with them over God-knows-what, which almost caused a scene in one of the busiest areas of campus (one of the Spartacists squared off with me even). Anyways the next day I returned and apologized (well, I was a bit rude) and signed up for a year's subscription to the party newspaper. I also received this. Little did I know at the time that the Spartacist League were once supporters of the North American Man/Boy Love Association.

Trotskyism: Not Even Once

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Some great stuff posted above!!

I was in San Francisco earlier today and spent some time browsing Green Apple Books. I'm still unemployed and so I had to restrain myself, but I picked up a few new things.

I used to own this book and have been looking for a replacement copy, so I was overjoyed to find this one for only $8. Not only does it still have the CD, but it was also signed by Negativland member Mark Hosler!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gPSSYxex0

I've been wanting to read this but the hard cover is out of print and usually sells for more than I want to pay. Happily, at Green Apple it was on closeout for $6. Hooray!

Collection of short stories by James Crumley.

Gore Vidal sued to have his name taken off of the credits to Caligula because it was such a terrible film. I haven't seen the movie in twenty years, but I'm looking forward to reading this adaption of his screenplay.

Dr. Strangelove was loosely based on this book, so I couldn't resist picking up a copy.

I posted a picture of a sleazy paperback titled Campus Tramp (written by by Lawrence Block under a pseudonym) earlier in the thread, but I'm pretty sure this is a different book entirely. Hey, it's a good title.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I sort of regret not buying this one. I enjoyed James Farrell's Studs Lonigan trilogy.

Here are some other books I didn't buy:

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 26, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The cop hater is Mendoza right?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It must have been cool to make a living painting vaguely erotic thriller covers all day

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heath posted:

It must have been cool to make a living painting vaguely erotic thriller covers all day
If the covers were anything like the writing in these pulp stories, they were probably dashed out really quickly and en-masse through a bourbon haze, possibly to meet really strict deadlines, to scrape up something resembling a living.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Kins posted:

If the covers were anything like the writing in these pulp stories, they were probably dashed out really quickly and en-masse through a bourbon haze, possibly to meet really strict deadlines, to scrape up something resembling a living.

I figured it was probably more like just sitting down and making a bunch at once and then when someone calls for a cover you just send them one that kinda fits.

"We need a Dame with her slip fallin' off bein' menaced by a guy in a white suit, try to work in a film camera, can ya whip something up?" and you just pull out one of the ten drawings of that exact scene and send it in