Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
People have different shopping patterns when land use/transportation options are different. People in Tokyo and NYC somehow manage to still buy clothes and groceries without owning cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah nobody needs to buy two weeks worth of groceries at once if it's not an ordeal to get to a grocery store. i think we have like two days max worth of food in our house plus a day's worth of leftovers, because i can walk to a grocery store to get whatever we might need for dinner

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

For many people the cost savings for buying food in bulk can have a meaningful impact on their food budget.

After we nationalize the Whole Foods hot bar this won't be an issue, but it is a real issue for now. Bulk food purchasing can significantly reduce food costs, even for perishables like veggies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

Or to my condo's parkade. I think a big problem is that the biggest market for EVs (people living in urban areas with short commutes or infrequent car use) have the least ability to set up a charging station.

On that note you can do it, but you can expect it to take quite some convincing and legwork of your own to get it done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqhoM3fDrQ&t=1s

As he notes, even with all the effort he put in there was still a reasonable chance his condo board wouldn't have approved it.

VideoGameVet posted:

Not exactly. It was a BRILLIANT Steve Jobs play that got Apple control over the apps on the phone.

By having 0 apps, indeed no one else could control the apps. In the same sense, I have total control over all the transparent durluminum missiles in the Andromeda galaxy.

SaTaMaS posted:

straight from the jobs bio -

"Jobs at first quashed the discussion, partly because he felt his team did not have the bandwidth involved in policing third-party app developers. He wanted focus...But as soon as the iPhone was launched he was willing to hear the debate"

Yes, he didn't want apps, he didn't believe in them. Then they had to be added in later because it was a failed concept to not have apps. How you think this contradicts anything, I just don't get. Steve Jobs was a big ol moron who died from his own insistence on picking the wrong choice until his hand was forced, after all.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also web apps weren't "no apps", they were a doofy idea and they sucked and it makes sense they switched to native apps, but if you asked some random person in 2007 with an iphone if they had any apps they would probably say "yes" then point to one while you had to yell at them to explain they aren't technically native so they don't count as apps under some official definition.

Like to most people it's more that iphones had bad app implementation instead of no apps. As far as most people knew the stuff they were using was apps.

To most people, they had a regular phone in 2007. The whole app terminology was still not that big then, especially with so many people not having phones with any sort of programs that could be added.

And no, the iphone's web app attempt wasn't apps. That's why the iPhone wasn't even a smartphone, just an overly expensive dumbphone.

eschaton posted:

Sure there is: The OS support wasn’t ready until then. You grossly underestimate the amount of work required to ship an OS with a well-designed API, comprehensive developer tools, full forward binary compatibility, and a strict security model.

Hint: This is not secondhand.

I'm not underestimating poo poo. If Apple was too incompetent to release a smartphone in 2007, and they clearly were, they shouldn't have released a dumbphone that didn't even handle 3g and try to pawn it off as a smartphone. The original iPhone was a massive bad idea that attempted to do things differently and was a failure at influencing the market because of it.

I don't care that you're personally responsible for some of that failure but if you want to brag about it that's cool. Seems kinda like bragging about working for Theranos.

BlueBlazer posted:

Paging ThreePhase.

Property owners just need to invest in their infrastructure, sure would be nice if there was a decent sized tax credit to install chargers much in the same way energy companies put up large rebates on retrofitting florescent lights in the late 90's early 00's.

It's not that power isn't "available" its the whole last mile problem or this case 60 feet of conduit and copper to hook up a dryer outlet in your garage. The quick super chargers are super expensive and require a very large transformer to work correctly. So don't think you are going to see those outside of places that have a ton of extra money to burn or municipalities investing in infrastructure.

But the thing is if we already had the tax credits, say in the 90s/00s, while we'd have the outlets ready to go now we'd largely have installs of the inferior technology used back then Additionally, the connector market was even more disparate back then with more standards. As such we'd have a whole bunch of outlets installed that don't work with the practical cars of today, or would charge unacceptably slow or in an unacceptably dangerous manner.

What it'd amount to is happening to have had an additional 240v tap available somewhere in the house and your installer yanking off the old plug and slapping a new one. On the whole, that wouldn't have saved much. Even today, you have bullshit like Tesla insisting on not using the SAE standard that all the major North American market EVs have used since ~2010 or so (there's a different connector popular in Europe and a different one common in Japan, and some cars from those areas are sold in North America with those connectors).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Apple = Theranos. Got it.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
speaking as a massive bad idea that attempted to do things differently and was a failure, we're doing our best :ohdear:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

Yes, he didn't want apps, he didn't believe in them.

This is not true.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
It’s so amusing how fishmech just can’t handle being wrong. Like it’s utterly inconceivable so just retrench, retrench, retrench.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

boner confessor posted:

yeah nobody needs to buy two weeks worth of groceries at once if it's not an ordeal to get to a grocery store. i think we have like two days max worth of food in our house plus a day's worth of leftovers, because i can walk to a grocery store to get whatever we might need for dinner

Tell that to the people who travel all the way across several rural towns and cities just so they can go to one Kroger in an area and buy a whole "month's" worth of food, but don't want to touch any other super market that's closer to them. I unfortunately have a lot of experience in witnessing how certain places can create the perception that anything, even a loving Kroger, is like the premier shopping place and store they NEED to the point where there is never enough help to feed a 5 districts worth of people getting their Super Bowl Beer or their 10th Turkey for Thanksgiving.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Apple = Theranos. Got it.

Apple=Thanatos

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

This is not true.

Sorry about your bad phone that sucked, but it is true. I mean Apple hasn't amde anything good since December 1992, but the original iPhone was a particularly bad failure of design on all levels and that included Steve Jobs approving of a phone with no apps because the web would be fine.

All you've given with your posts on the subject is that at best "we knew the phone was a bad idea that wasn't ready yet but it got released anyway" which is pretty sad.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hey guys the thread is mostly improved by putting Sperglord Actual on ignore but it doesn't help when you keep responding to him and quoting him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
are fishmech and owlofcreamcheese the same guy?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

No, fishmech starts from a correct position.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Trabisnikof posted:

For many people the cost savings for buying food in bulk can have a meaningful impact on their food budget.

After we nationalize the Whole Foods hot bar this won't be an issue, but it is a real issue for now. Bulk food purchasing can significantly reduce food costs, even for perishables like veggies.

It’s this.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Dinosaurtrain posted:

The worst lox bagel special.

So Facebook's stock is peaking now so that's a thing. Guess we're just going to love our new data overlords.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dinosaurtrain posted:

fishmech does not masturbate daily to a shrine of elon musk in his closet

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Have you guys deleted your facebook accounts? no? Then you're part of the problem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Remember folks, if you "delete" your Facebook account you need to wipe any cookies possibly related to Facebook and manually disconnect it from other sites you use that you might have tied to it at one point. Otherwise, Facebook will get pinged by one of those services or just a random ad or social sharing plugin on an unrelated webpage and reactivate your account.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Have you guys deleted your facebook accounts? no? Then you're part of the problem.

They build a shadow profile of you anyway.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dinosaurtrain posted:

lol if you think facebook actually deletes your account

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

La Brea Carpet posted:

The worst lox bagel special.

:perfect:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

It looks horrified at having a wire jammed up its nose.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

In the optimal case yes, I think in the average case it's kind of debatable just because when you buy in bulk you tend to waste more food as it goes bad. I feel like we threw out a lot more produce when we shopped at Costco a lot because plans end up not matching reality.

Edit: ended up reading about food waste because of this post and found this site that sounds pretty cool, they deliver "ugly" produce at supposedly a significantly lower cost than regular grocery store prices: https://www.imperfectproduce.com

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 26, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A few large supermarket chains had this for a while, there was a separate section for ugly fruit and veggies at 30-50% off. I always bought those because I don't care how straight my cucumber is because I'm not sticking it up my butt, but it seems that this didn't take off and I haven't seen it available in a while.

Still I would guess that it just ends up being used in cat food and not actually wasted.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

In the optimal case yes, I think in the average case it's kind of debatable just because when you buy in bulk you tend to waste more food as it goes bad. I feel like we threw out a lot more produce when we shopped at Costco a lot because plans end up not matching reality.

Edit: ended up reading about food waste because of this post and found this site that sounds pretty cool, they deliver "ugly" produce at supposedly a significantly lower cost than regular grocery store prices: https://www.imperfectproduce.com

Food waste due to bulk purchasing certainly happens, but it’s a culture-wide issue in America. We waste a lot.

I do think that for a lot of Americans, a 10lbs bag of potatoes or rice makes space in a budget for fruit or vegetables. Or that a bulk bag of oranges or apples might be the only feasibly economic way to routinely afford fresh fruit.

The average SNAP benefit is only $1.40 a meal, and if you’re trying to be as healthy as you can (lol at healthcare costs) then often that requires bulk purchases to achieve basic dietary goals.

That sometimes means you eat bananas until you can’t then you eat banana bread, or you have cabbage every way imaginable. Hell, I got a cardboard box full of chicken meat for $0.50/lbs once from a real store. But you had to buy the whole box of course.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In Israel, most reasonably-sized supermarkets, of which there are many both in an out most urban areas, will deliver, even for free if your order is above a certain amount. It is very common for people to not have their own cars. Seems to work out pretty well for all involved. :shrug:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah a lot of Americans just have a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of cars not being a strictly necessary thing to own, especially for families with kids, because the environment they were immersed in since birth just assumes cars are The One True Way To Get Around, so how could it be any other way?

And given how it's strongly left-leaning, D&D is far, FAR from the worst of that mentality. There are parts of the country where, say, driving a hugeass pickup or SUV being intimately connected to one's manliness is a real thing.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 26, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In Israel, most reasonably-sized supermarkets, of which there are many both in an out most urban areas, will deliver, even for free if your order is above a certain amount. It is very common for people to not have their own cars. Seems to work out pretty well for all involved. :shrug:

I mean, the solution to you driving a car to a supermarket being a supermarket driving a car to you seems pretty simple.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, the solution to you driving a car to a supermarket being a supermarket driving a car to you seems pretty simple.

It's not just a car to you, though, you get it scheduled and the delivery person drives a small truck with a whole batch of them for several customers.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

A few large supermarket chains had this for a while, there was a separate section for ugly fruit and veggies at 30-50% off. I always bought those because I don't care how straight my cucumber is because I'm not sticking it up my butt, but it seems that this didn't take off and I haven't seen it available in a while.

Still I would guess that it just ends up being used in cat food and not actually wasted.

it's wasted in many cases. consumer spoilage/food loss is marginal compared to loss in service, retail or production.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In the UK, most supermarkets have a website you can order from. You never actually need to go to the supermarket. Bliss... This would work just fine in most urban areas in the USA, but they seem to be slow in adopting the technology. There *are* online supermarkets (Amazon Fresh, Fresh Direct) but they are expensive and not generally as good as real supermarkets.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cicero posted:

I only like buying poo poo that has a long shelf life in bulk. Canned foods, frozen foods.

My wife is fuckin' terrible with the food waste. In her defense, sometimes we're just too busy to really prepare a good meal. But, you know, realize that in advance and just get a bunch of poo poo to make easy meals with.

We're always throwing out leftovers and sauces that have been in the fridge for too long. It's annoying.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Doctor Butts posted:

We're always throwing out leftovers and sauces that have been in the fridge for too long. It's annoying.
By "too long", you mean "two days", right?

My wife rarely eats leftovers the next day and never beyond that. And has ridiculous ideas of when something has "gone bad". The other day she told me to throwaway the apple juice I'd opened for our son a week before because the label (*) said it was only good for a week. Yes, mostly pure sugar water that's been pasteurized is going to spoil in a week. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, here on Thursday I'm still lunching on the frittata I cooked for Sunday breakfast.

(*) Of course it didn't.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cicero posted:

Yeah a lot of Americans just have a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of cars not being a strictly necessary thing to own, especially for families with kids, because the environment they were immersed in since birth just assumes cars are The One True Way To Get Around, so how could it be any other way?

And given how it's strongly left-leaning, D&D is far, FAR from the worst of that mentality. There are parts of the country where, say, driving a hugeass pickup or SUV being intimately connected to one's manliness is a real thing.

Who qualifies in this "a lot of Americans" group? Cause this is like the 3rd or 4th time in the past couple weeks I've seen someone in D&D say how "a lot of Americans" can't fathom some simple concept that exists elsewhere.

Like, I can fathom the existence of grocery delivery services and robust public transportation systems just fine, and it's cool that those are both available in a country that is literally smaller than Chicagoland. My ability to comprehend a car-less existence doesn't suddenly make it a feasible option in cities or suburbs that were designed 50-100 years ago with point to point car travel in mind.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 26, 2018

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Cicero posted:

Yeah the best is watching Americans claim the reasons they could not bicycle and remembering seeing 2+ people commuting that same day in identical situations: need a suit to work? shower there if you get sweaty or buy an electric. Kids? bike seat and pull behind plus kids bikes if you must have 3+ spawn. Groceries? panniers. on and on

As to your second point, definitely. I remember the last time I was in West Point, VA driving past the cardboard box plant, and the "truck as penis replacement" effect was on full display in the parking lot.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

poopinmymouth posted:

Yeah the best is watching Americans claim the reasons they could not bicycle and remembering seeing 2+ people commuting that same day in identical situations: need a suit to work? shower there if you get sweaty or buy an electric. Kids? bike seat and pull behind plus kids bikes if you must have 3+ spawn. Groceries? panniers. on and on

assuming you live in the 15% of america where cycling isn't incredibly dangerous, because there is no bike infrastructure and other americans are so hostile to cyclists on the road they will actively try to murder you

http://times-herald.com/news/2017/04/man-who-hit-cyclist-with-car-denied-bond

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/man-charged-in-natchez-trace-parkway-hit-and-run-said-cyclist-threw-the-bike-at-his-car/51-455314691

http://www.wbrc.com/story/12850870/update-man-on-bike-hit-by-car-deliberately

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article177743081.html

this happens in other parts of the world as well, places with infrastructure oriented less towards mandatory automotive ownership. of the four people i know who had mopeds even, all four of them gave it up after being struck by inattentive/impatient drivers

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

poopinmymouth posted:

As to your second point, definitely. I remember the last time I was in West Point, VA driving past the cardboard box plant, and the "truck as penis replacement" effect was on full display in the parking lot.

Biking with kids is possible with better bicycle infrastructure. Biking with kids is a really rough option if you're lane sharing the whole way. I don't blame people who would have to fight cars the whole way to daycare for wanting to drive instead of bicycling.

Some more context: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/dying-to-ride/

I've known someone who was killed on a bicycle, and the driver didn't even get a ticket. The long-time cyclists I know have almost universally had incidents with cars, including some road-rash and bicycles crushed under trucks, and other horrifying things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The weirdest thing about drivers getting mad about bicycle infrastructure is -- it tends to be pretty great! When I drive, my primary problem isn't bicycles, it's other people in cars! Anything which encourages them to not be in a car, and be on transit or a bike instead, is an excellent thing for anyone who still has to drive for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

poopinmymouth posted:

Yeah the best is watching Americans claim the reasons they could not bicycle
Yeah thanks for your input dude biking 50 miles a day in triple digit temps sounds awesome why don't more people do that???

The average American commute to work is 15-25 miles. In a country where the weather often ranges from merely inclement to actually dangerous, and where bike infrastructure is poor and cycling on many major arterial roadways is illegal.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 26, 2018