Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Oh no, he's moving to RAW!

https://twitter.com/MichaelHart912/status/988531251882668034

https://twitter.com/DCBlueStar/status/988516282097127424

Or Dallas. Or New England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah. Figured as much. I like the guy but with the offense this year he just wasn't used as often and/or didn't come up big like he had done off and on in seasons before. Seemed like a good guy and good fit for the team but one of the more replaceable pieces on the board.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

lol

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

My boy quintorris ain't goin nowhere

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone got tired of never having any fish options at the team grillouts.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

https://twitter.com/JohnMichaels929/status/988558728940040193

Sure, that's what they WANT you to think. :thunk:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Jeff Garcia salty about something...

https://twitter.com/JeffGarciaJGFA/status/988602552211009537

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/988604890984349696

https://twitter.com/JeffGarciaJGFA/status/988655601067544576

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm laughing my rear end off at this JJ poo poo.

But... nervously as gently caress.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at this JJ poo poo.

But... nervously as gently caress.

No need to be nervous, buddy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That sounds like him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just getting off social media. poo poo would be so annoying for a pro athlete as popular as Julio and he's never enjoyed the spotlight

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Play posted:

That sounds like him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just getting off social media. poo poo would be so annoying for a pro athlete as popular as Julio and he's never enjoyed the spotlight

That's what is being reported, yes. He wasn't even big on social media when he was on it, plus he still follows the team and some players so this is #FakeNews but oh well. Let people have fun with it.

e:

Also just read that Jeff Garcia stuff...lol...wth

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/988863900253872128

I wanted Dorsey in the 1st and Brohm in the 2nd. Thankfully I do not run the Atlanta Falcons.

Also Matt has been around for 10 years already? :stare:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

weird Asian candy posted:

Also Matt has been around for 10 years already? :stare:

Time to retire IMO.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Time to retire IMO.

I'm gonna be p salty when Matt and Julio retire with 0 rings tbh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

weird Asian candy posted:

I'm gonna be p salty when Matt and Julio retire with 0 rings tbh

I'm not even a Falcons fan and I agree with this. I do wonder if they've already had their best chance last season and the one before, it seems like the league (especially the NFC) is getting better around them while they stay mostly the same.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Play posted:

I'm not even a Falcons fan and I agree with this. I do wonder if they've already had their best chance last season and the one before, it seems like the league (especially the NFC) is getting better around them while they stay mostly the same.

Buddy there will be no better chance than being up by 25 points with 2 mins left in the 3rd quarter of a superbowl.

:smithicide:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I definitely think all the Panthers I love had their chance when we lost to Denver. Don’t see that happening again for a while. Our window is closed.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asnorban posted:

I definitely think all the Panthers I love had their chance when we lost to Denver. Don’t see that happening again for a while. Our window is closed.

Oh it’s absolutely closed.

Offense has nothing outside Olsen and cam, entire secondary is garbage, kuechly is dead, Davis is retiring, Julius peppers is 50.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Thomas Dimitroff does seem to be capable of keeping a working football team on the field. I'll give him that.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh it’s absolutely closed.

Offense has nothing outside Olsen and cam, entire secondary is garbage, kuechly is dead, Davis is retiring, Julius peppers is 50.

Just gotta bring back that elite offensive firepower from that SB year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The dumb thing is the team does well enough for the front office to think they can just keep plugging holes and eventually it will be enough.

I would put Cam's best case barring some kind of Roethlisberger type evolution / horrific injury at 3 to 5 years left in the tank.

They got enough time to get back there but I would have to think unless they can find some way to magic the offensive line into a dominant unit in the next two... we'll probably see a few playoff appearances and exits without a ring.

Then again theres always a chance they Raven a ring where everything just falls into place or rather, falls apart around them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BlindSite posted:

The dumb thing is the team does well enough for the front office to think they can just keep plugging holes and eventually it will be enough.

I would put Cam's best case barring some kind of Roethlisberger type evolution / horrific injury at 3 to 5 years left in the tank.

They got enough time to get back there but I would have to think unless they can find some way to magic the offensive line into a dominant unit in the next two... we'll probably see a few playoff appearances and exits without a ring.

Then again theres always a chance they Raven a ring where everything just falls into place or rather, falls apart around them.

While our division is tough right now, Carolina gets a playoff spot each year with just a few mid-season injuries for nearly any of the other divisional teams.

Once you're in the playoffs everything is a crap shoot. Who would have ever thought Philly would be making a run with a backup QB (even though he was always decent).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah. I feel that way a bit as well. Just get in and be healthy and anything can happen.

Pharaoh cooper dropping 3 kicks after dropping 0 all year against Atlanta springs to mind and not being a dick but how new Orleans went out as well.

I get the feeling more and more though that the core you need of at least have solid receiving talent and a serviceable back end supported by dominant line play may not e there especially on the offensive side.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like with all that's going on with that organization this will be their worst season in a while. Cam can always surprise me though

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The panthers have had three awful drafts in a row, and the players that should be being groomed to take over starting roles simply aren't on the roster.

They're old and injury at key positions, including tight end, center, and mlb.

Theyre loving bad at other key positions, including LT and the entire secondary and WR corps.

The Panthers have always, because they're stuck in the 1960s, been built on winning 1 on 1 battles. And right now they simply lack the ability to do so.

This team is going to be loving baaaaaaaad this season.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

I feel like with all that's going on with that organization this will be their worst season in a while. Cam can always surprise me though

I dont think the ownership is going to matter too much. As long as theres no rift between Hurney and Rivera and theres not really a reason for there to be there wont be much of a drama.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

The panthers have had three awful drafts in a row, and the players that should be being groomed to take over starting roles simply aren't on the roster.

Theyre loving bad at other key positions, including LT and the entire secondary and WR corps.

The Panthers have always, because they're stuck in the 1960s, been built on winning 1 on 1 battles. And right now they simply lack the ability to do so.

On a positive note, you get to play the Bucs twice.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

On a positive note, you get to play the Bucs twice.

who, as we know, are rear end.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

Not bad, just unpredictable. Cam is so inconsistent, and this year is tough to judge. If Funchess keeps progressing, McCaffrey improves his strength, if Samuel/Smith give some semblance of a deep threat, Olsen returns to form, Moton steps up to fill the hole at LG, Ryan Kalil comes back healthy, if we hit on at least one productive offensive rookie, etc.

I feel like every team in the league has a list like this. But for us we have a QB who can swing between MVP and below-average from season-to-season. That throws a wrench into any plans, because you don’t know what you’re getting compared to guys like Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc.

My only fear is a new offense. We have some weird cogs in Newton and McCaffrey. They are two of the least traditional QB/RBs in the league. There’s a good chance everything falls into place but our offense tanks because Norv can’t figure out how to use them effectively.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao dang fiz

So did you want to, like, pick a different team to pull for or something? You sound like you're pretty down on the black cats my dude. Do you even like football anymore?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke! posted:

Not bad, just unpredictable. Cam is so inconsistent, and this year is tough to judge. If Funchess keeps progressing, McCaffrey improves his strength, if Samuel/Smith give some semblance of a deep threat, Olsen returns to form, Moton steps up to fill the hole at LG, Ryan Kalil comes back healthy, if we hit on at least one productive offensive rookie, etc.

I feel like every team in the league has a list like this. But for us we have a QB who can swing between MVP and below-average from season-to-season. That throws a wrench into any plans, because you don’t know what you’re getting compared to guys like Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc.

My only fear is a new offense. We have some weird cogs in Newton and McCaffrey. They are two of the least traditional QB/RBs in the league. There’s a good chance everything falls into place but our offense tanks because Norv can’t figure out how to use them effectively.

That's alotta stuff that's gotta go right.

Not saying it won't happen, but if it does, it won't be under Rivera as headcoach.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

lmao dang fiz

So did you want to, like, pick a different team to pull for or something? You sound like you're pretty down on the black cats my dude. Do you even like football anymore?

Fiz has always been down to earth if not in the dirt with his expectations for football each season.

If he's down on the Panthers, I'll agree with him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

timp posted:

lmao dang fiz

Just calling it like I see it.

The team has no owner and a retread GM.

And the worst part about tonight? Hurney is drafting for his job. He knows he needs to get like 4 starters, and he thinks he's the smartest person in the room.

Tonight could be disastrous.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

FizFashizzle posted:

Hayden Hurst gonna fix all that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Panthers will be bad this year because it’s the off year in their good year/bad year pattern. The good news is it doesn’t matter what happens in the draft or on the field, they will be inexplicably good next season.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Panthers will be bad this year because it's the off year in their good year/bad year pattern. The good news is it doesn't matter what happens in the draft or on the field, they will be inexplicably good next season.

I hate to be so trite and surface level about things but I think I honestly agree with this statement the most.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Fiz has always been down to earth if not in the dirt with his expectations for football each season.

If he's down on the Panthers, I'll agree with him.

Ehhh there was a bunch of 'this is a dynasty ascendant' stuff in the Denver year and I got poo poo on for pulling out the 'well actually' statements about Cam.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That Works posted:

Ehhh there was a bunch of 'this is a dynasty ascendant' stuff in the Denver year and I got poo poo on for pulling out the 'well actually' statements about Cam.

Not from me I hope.

No team with shula as the OC is a dynasty anything.

In retrospect, it's pretty clear no one coaching the panthers understood why the offense was working.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Not from me I hope.

In retrospect, it's pretty clear no one coaching the panthers understood why the offense was working.

When southerners "can't see race" it's because they aren't paying attention to the extremely talented black person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Not from me I hope.

That Superbowl year always seemed to be an outlier offensively for the Panthers because iirc their schedule was charmin soft.

• Locked thread