Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm playing on Admiral with Glavius and Advanced AI. I try starting a war around 25-30 years in, about when I start to get boxed in. But the AI tends to have a small but significant edge in fleet power by that point, and it's generally pretty difficult to pull off. Waiting just lets the AI snowball farther out. I think one issue is that I tend to be slow about colonizing new planets, I usually don't have one that early. Is there some other edge in tech or production I'm missing to exploit against opponents that early, is the difficulty too high, or are you just not supposed to start a war that early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I'm playing on Admiral with Glavius and Advanced AI. I try starting a war around 25-30 years in, about when I start to get boxed in. But the AI tends to have a small but significant edge in fleet power by that point, and it's generally pretty difficult to pull off. Waiting just lets the AI snowball farther out. I think one issue is that I tend to be slow about colonizing new planets, I usually don't have one that early. Is there some other edge in tech or production I'm missing to exploit against opponents that early, is the difficulty too high, or are you just not supposed to start a war that early?

My largest successes in early war is baiting them into chasing one of my fleets into a station fortified system. If you blow them out with the -disengage building it is usually hard to recover, then its open season

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Jabarto posted:

Those have 0% tracking though, how do they hit anything smaller than a cruiser?

That said, artillery destroyers have long been a favorite of mine. Cheap enough to mass and replace as needed, and don't poo poo the bed when large guns come into play.

Chance to hit is (self.accuracy - (enemy.evasion - self.tracking)), I'm unsure if the second half has a minimum of zero or not. However, you can get a lot of tracking on a ship apart from weapons: +15 from sensors, +20-40 from computer, +10 from titan aura. You can also get +5 accuracy per auxiliary slot (or if you get the enigmatic decoder a +5 acc, +5 tracking).

So even kinetic artillery (75% acc, 0% track) can get 50% accuracy on cruiser+ hulls with no titan aura against 90% evasion corvettes (same hit rate for mega/giga cannons). I don't know if I'd go that route for my anti-corvette build, but it'd probably only take 3 hits to take out a corvette and they'd get maybe 1 roll for disengage.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Tomn posted:

I personally find that the most important part of hull/armor regen isn't how it helps in actual battles, but how it means that you can continue campaigning without taking a lengthy trip back to a spaceport to repair. It's a strategic advantage more than a tactical one. I haven't run the numbers too much, but actual battle damage seems to grossly outstrip regen rate.

Also I'd have to double check but I THINK excess power automatically improves certain stats.

From what I can tell armor and hull regen only kicks in after the ship in question has not received any attacks for a number of days, so it won't make a difference unless you outnumber the enemy enough that they can't attack the same target regularly. So as you say, it's mostly for extending the amount of time you can campaign without needing to repair.

On a related note, ships that have disengaged due to damage will start repairing once the required number of days without taking damage has been passed, though even if they were to heal to full they wouldn't re-enter battle and will either disengage when the whole fleet is defeated or rejoin them at full health if they win (unmodded I doubt you could stack enough regen for that though).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Didn't they fix the planet occupation bug in 2.0.4 yet? I already have half this enemy empire under occupation and I'm pretty sure I should be inches away from a Subjugation victory over them.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
I'm still playing my 2.0.4 ironman/achievements enabled game, and something odd just happened.

Massive edit. Thought it was missing Art Monuments, turns out it was the purity buildings from Inward Perfection. I switched away from that, and that's why they all disappeared.

Gekkoh fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 26, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I beat the contingency, why won't the creepy breathing go away :(

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/989467958996099073

L-Gates connect you to clusters of stars outside the normal hyperlane network (shown outside the galaxy but they can probably be anywhere) and need special tasks (techs, anomalies, killing space monsters) to unlock. What's behind them is a M Y S T E R Y

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Seems like there will only be a single extra-galactic cluster per game, with all L-gates linking to it, and a single gate there that can be used to travel back to any of the L-gates in the main galaxy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wonder how hard it would be to mod the L-Cluster as just a second galactic hyperlane network parallel to the one you're on. You could have random observation events of poo poo going on there all ending with "but there's no hyperlane to any of these stars so it's not our problem forever!" until... it is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've released a compatibility patch for Core Game Mechanics: Buildings and Machine Government. It works in both original and additional content modes.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/989467958996099073

L-Gates connect you to clusters of stars outside the normal hyperlane network (shown outside the galaxy but they can probably be anywhere) and need special tasks (techs, anomalies, killing space monsters) to unlock. What's behind them is a M Y S T E R Y

im sure nothing bad will result from going into this place every previous species before is locked up for some reason

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zikan posted:

im sure nothing bad will result from going into this place every previous species before is locked up for some reason

Just some theocratic bigots trying to get rid of all the cool synthetic kids by locking them up in the treehouse. Jokes on them, the treehouse is awesome.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Zikan posted:

They locked it up because there was too much delicious candy inside and their new year's resolution was to lose two hundred and fifty pounds.

The candy is delicious, though.

eat the candy

GunnerJ posted:

Wonder how hard it would be to mod the L-Cluster as just a second galactic hyperlane network parallel to the one you're on. You could have random observation events of poo poo going on there all ending with "but there's no hyperlane to any of these stars so it's not our problem forever!" until... it is.

It WOULD be interesting if you started getting fragmented messages from the L-cluster hinting at what might be going on inside - perhaps with messages specifically calling on anyone outside to come in, either to help them from some terrible problem, or to share in the wondrous secrets within, or perhaps simply someone saying "liberate tuteme ex inferis"...

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Zikan posted:

The L-Gates were created by a mysterious alien called the Puzzlemaster who rewards people for solving his playful nanite-based puzzles. Please don't look too closely at the barrels of grey goo, they are not part of the puzzle.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Tomn posted:

It WOULD be interesting if you started getting fragmented messages from the L-cluster hinting at what might be going on inside - perhaps with messages specifically calling on anyone outside to come in, either to help them from some terrible problem, or to share in the wondrous secrets within, or perhaps simply someone saying "liberate tuteme ex inferis"...

The L stands for Lament.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Can't wait for a mod that creates a second galaxy that you can only get to by L-gates

populated entirely by the prethoryn

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

I like to think it stands for a much more terrible series. Sure most nerds wouldn't mind finding this on the other side, either.

Changes coming in Distant Worlds Stars look really neat and could really help break up the galactic terrain if they expanded on the idea in the future. While the new quest and system are gated behind DLC the mechanics that they work on won't be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Seriously though how do I stop the heavy breathing sound caused by the contingency, they're already gone but it is still there, it's annoying as hell

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Seriously though how do I stop the heavy breathing sound caused by the contingency, they're already gone but it is still there, it's annoying as hell

Have you checked under your bed?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

L-Clusters are basically the Star Road from Super Mario World.

That could be fun.

Also, I now need to make a Mushroom Kingdom empire.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Captain Invictus posted:

You don't. The crisis background sounds persist indefinitely once they start.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Sloober posted:

throw it in a sector and forget since it's just a planet being stripped of biomass

That sounds great but I like to not have to go back and re-colonize them after the pops get eaten because as far as I can tell the sector AI won't re-settle pops as they get consumed and tiles open up. Plus, it's a HUGE boon to your race's pop growth to keep a tile clear on planets that get full, so that you've got a pop growing on every single planet instead of just a handful of planets that aren't yet full.

It gets to be ridiculous when you get past 20-30 planets though, because of the aforementioned lack of feedback on the planet selection drop down menu of the resettlement screen. Having to rename planets to reflect the planet type, while tedious, is an acceptable workaround though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shadowlyger posted:

You don't. The crisis background sounds persist indefinitely once they start.

That's loving dumb. Is there a mod that disables them specifically?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

NatasDog posted:

That sounds great but I like to not have to go back and re-colonize them after the pops get eaten because as far as I can tell the sector AI won't re-settle pops as they get consumed and tiles open up. Plus, it's a HUGE boon to your race's pop growth to keep a tile clear on planets that get full, so that you've got a pop growing on every single planet instead of just a handful of planets that aren't yet full.

It gets to be ridiculous when you get past 20-30 planets though, because of the aforementioned lack of feedback on the planet selection drop down menu of the resettlement screen. Having to rename planets to reflect the planet type, while tedious, is an acceptable workaround though.

so throw them in a sector with colonize on and forget about it. it's not optimal, but as a swarm, who cares since it's one out of 30-40 planets. the only change i would make to sector AI is let them resettle pops in this regard

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

L-Clusters are basically the Star Road from Super Mario World.

That could be fun.

Also, I now need to make a Mushroom Kingdom empire.

:catstare: You are absolutely, incredibly right.

There should be a cosmetic mod that turns the L-gates into warp pipes, and the L-cluster area into a star roadregion, complete with 16-bit graphics.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The annoyance of managing pops is why I play robots. No more micromanaging growth or juggling species or regretting a migration treaty, just hit build and forget about it. As an added bonus I don't have to build any farms.

To be honest, I'd prefer if pops got abstracted away from the tiles entirely, and instead you have something like "planet is X pop, of which Y% are of $species giving you a net Z% bonus to mineral production" and variations thereof. Would make multispecies empires less frustrating and prevent the awkward alerts every time someone migrates and you have an idle building possibly causing resource deficits. Authoritarian/slaver empires can mandate population quotas.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Comedy answer: L-Space turns out to lead to a bunch of mostly normal, empty worlds, though analysis of trace fragments suggests that the whole area used to be a thriving civilization which left little record of themselves because they were very eco-conscious and everything they made was constructed from biodegradable materials.

The reason they were sealed off was because everyone else was sick of listening to them talk about the Galactic Mother Gaia. They weren't being aggressive about it, just annoying.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Btw I had a game as a devouring swarm where I conquered a planet during a war and it tanked my food output because no one was working but apparently were still eating and weren't being turned into food. Is that a bug or something?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There should be special events where the ruins of a sprawling galactic empire are discovered, and since the ruins are everywhere, multiple civs can have the choice to adopt the old empires ideals and declare themselves that empires heir/successor.

Which leads into a diplomatic clusterfuck when those empires meet up.

Kinda poking fun at the whole 3rd/4th/5th rome/holy roman empire sort of stuff.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
hope this update has some features for democracy/espionage. Unless this update drops Soon and we get small incremental content packs going forward? Would be sweet.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

Btw I had a game as a devouring swarm where I conquered a planet during a war and it tanked my food output because no one was working but apparently were still eating and weren't being turned into food. Is that a bug or something?
Possibly; the usual "bug" is that you start purging a given planet, but 10+ pops getting purged creates a lot of unrest which tanks output from that planet. You shouldn't actually lose food because of that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Gyshall posted:

hope this update has some features for democracy/espionage. Unless this update drops Soon and we get small incremental content packs going forward? Would be sweet.

pretty sure the next patch is just a story pack plus some incremental improvements and then they'll start talking about another expansion

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

L-space obviously leads to all of your ships getting torn apart by an enraged orangutan

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Sloober posted:

so throw them in a sector with colonize on and forget about it. it's not optimal, but as a swarm, who cares since it's one out of 30-40 planets. the only change i would make to sector AI is let them resettle pops in this regard

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see the Sector AI handle it personally, but I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence that it'd do it much better than it does a lot of things. The sector AI is OK, but it's not a huge deal to just take the minute or two to resettle planets after each conquest; if you name them for their biome it's even less painful.

E; I'd love to be able to filter the resettlement screen by biome ideally. I'm amazed it hasn't been modded in honestly; maybe there isn't anything to hook into to do such a thing with that UI element.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 26, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah, this happens to me too. Like, I don't expect anyone to be happy about being worked to death before I move my superior species into all the newly vacant real estate. The interaction between the happiness system and the unrest system on production could stand a revisit. I feel like there ought to be a certain grace period after a world is conquered and peace is declared where the survivors are too cowed to go on strike after watching their planet be bombed from orbit and all their friends and family killed in a grinding ground invasion afterwards.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also why do purged pops eat in the first place? im killing them for a reason

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

StashAugustine posted:

Turn on patrol drones, between that and hive mind unrest reduction and/or harmony tree you should be well into getting food bonuses from your fodder.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Yeah, this happens to me too. Like, I don't expect anyone to be happy about being worked to death before I move my superior species into all the newly vacant real estate. The interaction between the happiness system and the unrest system on production could stand a revisit. I feel like there ought to be a certain grace period after a world is conquered and peace is declared where the survivors are too cowed to go on strike after watching their planet be bombed from orbit and all their friends and family killed in a grinding ground invasion afterwards.

unrest affecting food was supposedly fixed in one of the recent updates for death spiral reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

There should be special events where the ruins of a sprawling galactic empire are discovered, and since the ruins are everywhere, multiple civs can have the choice to adopt the old empires ideals and declare themselves that empires heir/successor.

Which leads into a diplomatic clusterfuck when those empires meet up.

Kinda poking fun at the whole 3rd/4th/5th rome/holy roman empire sort of stuff.

I would love poo poo like this.