Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

I tried to tally it up and I think I've had a case in about 11(edit 16 or 17, jesus) different counties and I've maybe been hometowned once in my life and it was in loving Brazos County where I'm from and first started practicing.

In family law the Courts have almost unlimited discretion and are almost un-appealable.

This is where bias towards campaign donations and "locals" feast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Last day of law school today.

Meh.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Welp, that's your high point taken care of, friend.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there still a shortage of lawyers in the rural midwest? If I take the Nebraska bar could I conceivably blow up my entire life to go be a country lawyer? Any lovely states still paying people to set up shop in nowhere? Have law degree and passed FL bar, working as CPA now but mostly want to kill myself, considering other options first thanks.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You are a CPA and have passed the bar? I thought that was a high demand set of certifications for city work?

I have exams next week. Right now I'm learning!

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 26, 2018

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Not sure doing soul crushing professional work of a different flavor while exchanging sun for tornados and palm trees for corn is really a step up in quality of life. Spew your guts about the life passions you aren't realizing!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Don't move to the Midwest

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You are a CPA and have passed the bar? I thought that was a high demand set of certifications for city work?

Yes, but I've got a weird and lovely work history. Also I live outside the US right now because my (light brown) wife is terrified of Trump. I suppose if I just leave my family behind to come back to the US I'd be better off in like Atlanta making more money.

My only life passions are pizza weed and cartoons and I don't know how to make any money from them.

Edit: I just kind of find the impossibility of a social or romantic life kind of appealing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there any state just desperate for assistant public defenders so I can get that PSLF too?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FL bar is one of the hardest in the nation and you’d rather go gently caress off to nebraska instead of getting a job in central/south fl doing estates/wills for old people?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Come work in Texas and work for government. Austin is fine. Do you litigate?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No experience in it, but I totally would. That's what I wanted to do in the first place. Graduated 09 when things were suuuuper bad and never was able to get the experience I wanted.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

FL bar is one of the hardest in the nation and you’d rather go gently caress off to nebraska instead of getting a job in central/south fl doing estates/wills for old people?

Is it really lol. There's SO many lawyers there.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I should also mention I'm very bad at both law and accounting. I feel like my skill set deserves Nebraska, but that could also be clinical depression talking.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
How do you feel about Taco trucks? I just crunched the numbers and pizza weed cartoon enthusiasts are within one standard deviation of tacos, plus there's been a recent disruption in the market nobody is capitalizing on.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

We have a huge tax litigation section where accounting matters. Civil Medicaid fraud. And we have tons of transactional attorneys in comptroller, banking regs, etc.

You'd have to be barred though.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

We have a huge tax litigation section where accounting matters. Civil Medicaid fraud. And we have tons of transactional attorneys in comptroller, banking regs, etc.

You'd have to be barred though.

I'm honestly 100% sure I can pass any state's bar with approx 10 weeks of studying, even though I'm a few years removed from school. My life is a joke right now but I do own at taking tests. I killed the bar exam and the CPA exam, and I don't feel bad bragging about that because it's pretty much the only thing I have in life to brag about. If I can't make this whole "broken marriage while living in a country I hate" thing work, maybe I'll just take the TX bar.

Nonexistence posted:

How do you feel about Taco trucks? I just crunched the numbers and pizza weed cartoon enthusiasts are within one standard deviation of tacos, plus there's been a recent disruption in the market nobody is capitalizing on.

Tell me more.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This but california.
We pay more and you're not in Texas. (Austin is still Texas)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

nm posted:

This but california.
We pay more and you're not in Texas. (Austin is still Texas)

Are jobs available in CA? I feel like since people want to live there it must be hard to compete.

Like, you know how Koalas eat Eucalyptus? There's basically no nutrition in that. They have to eat tons of it. But they evolved to eat it because literally no other animal wanted it. I feel that's what opening a rural practice in Nebraska must be like. Being a legal Koala.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Like tests? Go to grad school for actuarial science to get your foot in the door somewhere as an actuary

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Like, you know how Koalas eat Eucalyptus? There's basically no nutrition in that. They have to eat tons of it. But they evolved to eat it because literally no other animal wanted it. I feel that's what opening a rural practice in Nebraska must be like. Being a legal Koala.

This is great.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hoshi posted:

Like tests? Go to grad school for actuarial science to get your foot in the door somewhere as an actuary

Would this make me more or less likely to kill myself?

Actually I think that's the kind of question an actuary could answer.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Would this make me more or less likely to kill myself?

Actually I think that's the kind of question an actuary could answer.

Depends how does it sound getting paid time off to study for exams, then getting raises and bonuses for passing them?

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Toona the Cat posted:

Last day of law school today.

Meh.

Get drunk.

Are you even going to bother with taking a bar exam?

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Hellblazer187 posted:

I should also mention I'm very bad at both law and accounting. I feel like my skill set deserves Nebraska, but that could also be clinical depression talking.

Boise Idaho. You could live on a steady law diet of Eucalyptus and you could go ski bogus basin every weekend for me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Boise Idaho. You could live on a steady law diet of Eucalyptus and you could go ski bogus basin every weekend for me.

Oh man, I used to love to hate myself while skiing. I think this sounds right.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hoshi posted:

Depends how does it sound getting paid time off to study for exams, then getting raises and bonuses for passing them?

Actually super good?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Actually super good?

Yeah I love my profession. It's definitely not barred to olds, lots of people switch from other careers later in life. If you're actually interested go look at the materials for exams P and FM (probability sand financial mathematics), they're the first two.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If you can get over the initial hump of establishing your practice, you can make a good amount of money in the farming midwest doing property, estate, and some contract work. Farms and farming equipment are worth shitloads of money.

Source: I'm an Iowa lawyer.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

If you can get over the initial hump of establishing your practice, you can make a good amount of money in the farming midwest doing property, estate, and some contract work. Farms and farming equipment are worth shitloads of money.

Source: I'm an Iowa lawyer.

I think telling people to move to Iowa is immoral but you have a point

odds that we'll have another winter?

E: I assumed you were in the middle of the state but maybe you're not

Hoshi fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hoshi posted:

Yeah I love my profession. It's definitely not barred to olds, lots of people switch from other careers later in life. If you're actually interested go look at the materials for exams P and FM (probability sand financial mathematics), they're the first two.

Oh are you a for real actuary? Were you a lawyer first?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh are you a for real actuary? Were you a lawyer first?

I'm a for real actuary, my mom's a lawyer and said I could only be one if I got a full tide to a T14, I didn't. I'm actually entry level (5 months in), but at my internship last summer I was one of 5 post grads and the oldest was in his mid 30s.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Hoshi posted:

my mom's a lawyer and said I could only be one if I got a full tide to a T14

holy poo poo that is some good rear end parenting, most lawyers are terrible parents

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

disjoe posted:

holy poo poo that is some good rear end parenting, most lawyers are terrible parents

I've considered getting her an account for this thread

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

disjoe posted:

Yep. Yeeeeep.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm honestly 100% sure I can pass any state's bar with approx 10 weeks of studying, even though I'm a few years removed from school. My life is a joke right now but I do own at taking tests. I killed the bar exam and the CPA exam, and I don't feel bad bragging about that because it's pretty much the only thing I have in life to brag about. If I can't make this whole "broken marriage while living in a country I hate" thing work, maybe I'll just take the TX bar.

I'll tell you the same thing I said last time: stay where you are, open a practice doing tax and company formation stuff for expats, sate your depression with quick rolls in your Scrooge McDuck tower of money in your spare time.

If you can't do that, move to Puerto Rico, open a practice doing tax and company formation stuff for crypto "expats", sate your depression with quick rolls in your Scrooge McDuck solar powered tower of money in your spare time.

If you can't do that, I hear someone ITT knows a street in dire need of a taco truck

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Hoshi posted:

I've considered getting her an account for this thread

do it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the only actuary I know is a guy who jumps off buildings and dangles off cranes and poo poo (5 time ninja warrior competitor too, he can't beat stage 3 though what a failure). I would think an actuary lawyer in the Midwest would be fun because you'd be able to insist to every farmer they need a will asap because, well, you know why

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Adar posted:

I'll tell you the same thing I said last time: stay where you are, open a practice doing tax and company formation stuff for expats, sate your depression with quick rolls in your Scrooge McDuck tower of money in your spare time.

If you can't do that, move to Puerto Rico, open a practice doing tax and company formation stuff for crypto "expats", sate your depression with quick rolls in your Scrooge McDuck solar powered tower of money in your spare time.

If you can't do that, I hear someone ITT knows a street in dire need of a taco truck

haha you remember my sadbrains posting. It only flares up enough to justpost once every 6 or 7 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Get drunk.

Are you even going to bother with taking a bar exam?

Yes, I am getting sloshed as hell tonight with some friends at a bar near campus.

I am not registered for the July bar but may take it in February if I end up hating my recruiting gig which has been nothing but changing over from Outlook and emailed resumes to software based recruiting. If I hear the phrase “forward facing” again, I may throw myself out of my window.