Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the appearance of comics Legion was inspired by the paintings of Egon Schiele, the artist whose work is displayed in the art museum bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, knowing the backstory behind the shower scene beforehand did nothing to dull the trauma of it, in fact I think knowing whats coming just added to the tension.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It came off more brutal than I expected. She was getting used to touching someone and then this dude just has his way with her, what a mind gently caress.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Shageletic posted:

It came off more brutal than I expected. She was getting used to touching someone and then this dude just has his way with her, what a mind gently caress.

I mean, yeah there is a whole lot to unpack in that scene, and I didn't think there was much more to get out of seeing the story over just hearing her tell it but I was wrong.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

thought it was the weakest episode tbqh, not that it was bad, it was just... uh, a lot more complicated without much payoff?

what the gently caress, I am probably reading too much into it, but:

- What Syd was doing on the rooftop;
- Once the monk offed himself everybody woke up, but not her (and thus David);
- She didn't seemed trapped at all: in fact, it seems that she actually trapped Legion for...
- She really didn't act like her usual self by the end of it: "God loves us more 'cause we burn brighter", whaaaaaaaaaaat

if the delusion monster thingie is real, Syd having it nurturing some idea/delusion about relationships and touch being hurtful things and love being something that eventually just fizzles and softens people to the point it makes them mush, and David blindly trusting her and not second guessing anything because hey let's not forget that either/or his powers or mental illness he has problems perceiving things, then this episode is more about how them both eventually gently caress up the world

gah, this show is the maze, and I am trapped in it

(also showing that swap scene felt more to remind viewers than to actually make Legion "get" her trauma, imho)

edits: confusion makes sentences hard

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

swickles posted:

Man, knowing the backstory behind the shower scene beforehand did nothing to dull the trauma of it, in fact I think knowing whats coming just added to the tension.

What was the backstory? For some reason I originally thought it was an accident on all parties but it's been forever since I've seen the pertinent episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was the backstory? For some reason I originally thought it was an accident on all parties but it's been forever since I've seen the pertinent episode.

After David is able to "transport" himself and Syd to the white room, they have sex. Afterwords, David asks if that was her first time. She says no, that one night her mom got drunk and fell asleep on the couch and her mom's boyfriend got into the shower. She touched her mom and went in to have sex with him, but she didn't have control of her powers so they switched back while he was inside her. She says there was a lot of screaming and yelling, and just trails off. Sorry, can't find the scene on YouTube. The difference between her telling the story and the actual scene is that Syd omitted that the boyfriend was hauled off to jail. Its also not clear yet if her mom knew of her powers, and given her reaction it seems that she does not.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dead comedy forums posted:

thought it was the weakest episode tbqh, not that it was bad, it was just... uh, a lot more complicated without much payoff?

- She didn't seemed trapped at all: in fact, it seems that she actually trapped Legion for...
- She really didn't act like her usual self by the end of it: "God loves us more 'cause we burn brighter", whaaaaaaaaaaat

if the delusion monster thingie is real, Syd having it nurturing some idea/delusion about relationships and touch being hurtful things and love being something that eventually just fizzles and softens people to the point it makes them mush, and David blindly trusting her and not second guessing anything because hey let's not forget that either/or his powers or mental illness he has problems perceiving things, then this episode is more about how them both eventually gently caress up the world

(also showing that swap scene felt more to remind viewers than to actually make Legion "get" her trauma, imho)

Shh, shh. Just put this mouth guard and IV in. Everything will be alright.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think what I really love about the storytelling in this season is the idea of the delusion

we know it exists, we know it's spreading and Ptonomy has it, we just still don't know what it is and it's torture

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

swickles posted:

After David is able to "transport" himself and Syd to the white room, they have sex. Afterwords, David asks if that was her first time. She says no, that one night her mom got drunk and fell asleep on the couch and her mom's boyfriend got into the shower. She touched her mom and went in to have sex with him, but she didn't have control of her powers so they switched back while he was inside her. She says there was a lot of screaming and yelling, and just trails off. Sorry, can't find the scene on YouTube. The difference between her telling the story and the actual scene is that Syd omitted that the boyfriend was hauled off to jail. Its also not clear yet if her mom knew of her powers, and given her reaction it seems that she does not.

She switches into her mothers body, her own body dropping onto the couch. Doesn't make sense for her body to suddenly switch to being in the shower. Should have been her consciousness snapping back to her own body on the couch and her mothers to the shower.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hasselblad posted:

She switches into her mothers body, her own body dropping onto the couch. Doesn't make sense for her body to suddenly switch to being in the shower. Should have been her consciousness snapping back to her own body on the couch and her mothers to the shower.

this is how her power's been shown to work the entire show, from the first episode -- after she swapped with David and he escaped, he was safe outside on the run and she was suddenly in the middle of the mutant rescue squad

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

flatluigi posted:

this is how her power's been shown to work the entire show, from the first episode -- after she swapped with David and he escaped, he was safe outside on the run and she was suddenly in the middle of the mutant rescue squad

But she did not switch bodies with her mom, she switched consciousnesses. Syds body falls onto the couch and Syd clearly is in her mother's body and gets up from where it was laying.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

But she did not switch bodies with her mom, she switched consciousnesses. Syds body falls onto the couch and Syd clearly is in her mother's body and gets up from where it was laying.

right because her mom was passed out in her own body so she's passed out in syd's body too

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When Syd uses her power, first the consciousnesses switch bodies, and then when the effect ends, the bodies switch places to match.

In the first episode, David leaves the hospital in Syd's body, then goes to a cafe. Then suddenly, he's back in his own body at the same cafe.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is also what happens to the guy whose body she uses to beat those girls up earlier in the episode. Her body falls to the ground and then he wakes up in that spot.

I know this show is hard to follow sometimes but this week has been great for “TVIV doesn’t watch TV shows” examples

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If you're not hungover and half-asleep when watching your high-concept dramas then you're not even in the game.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, when she switches with The Eye, its same way. Her power has been consistent anytime its used.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

swickles posted:

Also, when she switches with The Eye, its same way. Her power has been consistent anytime its used.

the power is just so counter-intuitive/opposite of how most 'mind swap' situations work(and then doesn't get used super often) that a lot of people end up forgetting the weird outcomes that it causes

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Right its counterintuitive, like just about everything in this show, but its consistent. Its weird to watch this show and still be confused how it works when its shown several times.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I hate to do this but

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know this show is hard to follow sometimes but this week has been great for “TVIV doesn’t watch TV shows” examples

dead comedy forums posted:

Syd wasn't trapped but pulled in David so that they could more fully connect.

Anyway, this really brings some added nuance and it makes her character make more sense. The gap between how vulnerable she was in the asylum in the first season to how capable she was in breaking David out makes alot more sense. She is vulnerable, but is stronger because of it.

This is probably my fav or second fav episode of the show so far. It's very Fly from Breaking Bad.

e: and as a fan of genre stories, can I say how much of a relief it is when a main character realizes that the way to win is not just by yelling love all the time? Anything takes work, and it's great to see that happening in this second season.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I hate to do this but

no problem at all, I was legit confused and wanted some interpretative help haha

like the other goon above said, the show is weird and counter-intuitive, but very consistent, which is why I started meandering on what was going on w/r/t the greater context (and also was expecting development in that sense), because I thought "wait this probably will mean a lot later on" then welp

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Serf posted:

right because her mom was passed out in her own body so she's passed out in syd's body too

Precisely. Which stands to reason that when she snapped back, her mother's body would have remained in the shower and Syd would have returned to her body on the couch.

Again, she did not switch bodies with her mom. She switched minds. NORMALLY she switched bodies entirely, like with David, like with the guy who was hitting on her. This time she switched minds, then got off the couch in her mother's body while her own body (passed out mom mind) fell onto the couch.

It's a sperg thing, but it did not happen as it usually was done.

edit:

Supercar Gautier posted:

When Syd uses her power, first the consciousnesses switch bodies, and then when the effect ends, the bodies switch places to match.

In the first episode, David leaves the hospital in Syd's body, then goes to a cafe. Then suddenly, he's back in his own body at the same cafe.

OK, I think I get it now. The whole bodies changing right at the end is what threw me (and makes little sense)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 26, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Precisely. Which stands to reason that when she snapped back, her mother's body would have remained in the shower and Syd would have returned to her body on the couch.

Again, she did not switch bodies with her mom. She switched minds. NORMALLY she switched bodies entirely, like with David, like with the guy who was hitting on her. This time she switched minds, then got off the couch in her mother's body while her own body (passed out mom mind) fell onto the couch.

It's a sperg thing, but it did not happen as it usually was done.

Season 1 episode 1:
Syd and David switch minds. Syd in David's body goes into a car with the Summerland team. David in Syd's body goes to a cafe. Then their bodies switch to match where their minds are. David is now at the cafe in his own body, and Syd is now in the car in her own body.

Season 2 episode 4:
Syd and Mom switch minds. Syd in Mom's body goes to the shower. Mom in Syd's body is asleep on the couch. Then their bodies switch to match where their minds are. Mom is now on the couch in her own body, and Syd is now in the shower in her own body.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Supercar Gautier posted:

Season 1 episode 1:
Syd and David switch minds. Syd in David's body goes into a car with the Summerland team. David in Syd's body goes to a cafe. Then their bodies switch to match where their minds are. David is now at the cafe in his own body, and Syd is now in the car in her own body.

Season 2 episode 4:
Syd and Mom switch minds. Syd in Mom's body goes to the shower. Mom in Syd's body is asleep on the couch. Then their bodies switch to match where their minds are. Mom is now on the couch in her own body, and Syd is now in the shower in her own body.

See my edit above. I get it now.

It does make me wonder if when her body snapped back into the shower in the middle of sex, if she swapped place with the guy since they were touching a bit at that point. Not to mention becoming fully clothed mid-intercourse. This show is making me overthink things.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
So did Syd’s mom just literally never touch her child ever? How does she not know or ever find about about her child’s ability. When did Syds ability even become active?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

So It Goes posted:

So did Syd’s mom just literally never touch her child ever? How does she not know or ever find about about her child’s ability. When did Syds ability even become active?

There's a scene in this episode where her mother touches her when she was a baby, and it makes her cry (but doesn't cause a body swap). They show this same scene like four or five times.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

So It Goes posted:

Of course her mom knew. Why else would she spoon her child in bed using a pillow as a buffer?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Don't most mutant powers express at puberty because it's not at all a metaphor?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

qbert posted:

Of course her mom knew. Why else would she spoon her child in bed using a pillow as a buffer?

I took it to mean that she knew that being touched upset her, not that she knew that it swapped bodies.

They also showed her mom holding her literally right after the cord was cut.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Don't most mutant powers express at puberty because it's not at all a metaphor?

Not all. Like mutants who look weird as part of their mutations often have it from the start. It's Normally a puberty thing, but its not a hard and fast rule.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Not all. Like mutants who look weird as part of their mutations often have it from the start. It's Normally a puberty thing, but its not a hard and fast rule.

Yeah, there are a bunch of kid mutants too, where the powers manifest before puberty but after birth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

swickles posted:

Yeah, there are a bunch of kid mutants too, where the powers manifest before puberty but after birth.

Also, Legion is so out there, none of this matters.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I do wonder when Syd's power first manifested. I sort of assumed it was the club scene since she didn't QUITE swap with them and her face went all blurry instead.

And the first thing I thought when Syd was in the shower with her clothes on is how did that work when she swapped back from her mother. How was he not screaming and baffled? At least until the mum came to the shower, anyway. And wouldn't the mum be wet from having been in there?
Or isn't it actually the body of the person and just a projection? I dunno.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Taear posted:

I do wonder when Syd's power first manifested. I sort of assumed it was the club scene since she didn't QUITE swap with them and her face went all blurry instead.

And the first thing I thought when Syd was in the shower with her clothes on is how did that work when she swapped back from her mother. How was he not screaming and baffled? At least until the mum came to the shower, anyway. And wouldn't the mum be wet from having been in there?
Or isn't it actually the body of the person and just a projection? I dunno.

He was screaming and confused. The mom had wet hair and appeared to be wet.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

qbert posted:

I mean that’s what I thought but then she had her boyfriend arrested even though she would’ve known what happened? That was what confused me about it

Serf
May 5, 2011

i thought she just knew her daughter didn't like being touched and respected her boundaries

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Serf posted:

i thought she just knew her daughter didn't like being touched and respected her boundaries

Pfffft, what kind of lovely parent does THAT?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I actually do think up to a certain age good parenting necessitates physical contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

So It Goes posted:

I mean that’s what I thought but then she had her boyfriend arrested even though she would’ve known what happened? That was what confused me about it

i imagine syd lied instead of telling her mother she used her body to have sex with her boyfriend