Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I think shaving the saddle is more typical, messing with the actual bridge is for repairs rather than setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That falls under "permanently mess with" for me - it's lowering the action in a way you can't undo without replacing the saddle piece, right? So it's not as easy as cranking it back up with an allen key

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

baka kaba posted:

That said it might be worth trying a few string gauges first before you commit to a setup, especially if you're not sure what you like on this guitar. Also I'm not totally sure what an acoustic setup usually involves, they're less adjustable than an electric - do they permanently mess with the bridge?

They also adjust the truss rod.

Okay, I'll do what you suggested a few posts back and bring both guitars to the store and compare them and see what they say. If they recommend new strings, is there anything I should be looking for or avoiding in terms of brands, sizes, types etc.?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mak0rz posted:

If they recommend new strings, is there anything I should be looking for or avoiding in terms of brands, sizes, types etc.?

Most strings are pretty decent, really, and it's a cheap enough thing for you to experiment with - especially once you're able to change them out in a a few minutes. (It will happen once you do it enough times...)

The main thing with acoustic strings is that there are (mostly) two varieties: 80/20 bronze and phosphor bronze. 80/20 is a darker, warmer tone that stays pretty consistent is a sound you could describe as "more traditional." Phosphor bronze is a brighter, chiming tone that feels more "modern" and comes through clearer through pickups, but don't last as long because they have more treble to lose. A lot of brands will have both varieties in their line, so check the package.

Which one you go with is really up to you!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I've been working through Joe Stump's sweep picking book -- which is, surprisingly, one of the best guitar books I've ever bought -- and I came across this arpeggio:

Apparently, it is possible to mute the open strings, as Joe Stump does so on the recording, but since I am not a god-tier shredlord like Mr. Stump, I'm completely thrown for what the best strategy for muting them is. Any ideas? The ascending portion is manageable with progressive palm muting, but the descending portion is....problematic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mak0rz posted:

They also adjust the truss rod.

Okay, I'll do what you suggested a few posts back and bring both guitars to the store and compare them and see what they say. If they recommend new strings, is there anything I should be looking for or avoiding in terms of brands, sizes, types etc.?

The gauge is probably the most important thing here, if your problem with the new guitar is that it's higher tension than the old one. Otherwise it's more of a preference thing and you'll need to experience a bunch of different kinds to have an opinion on that. All the major brands like D'addario and Ernie Ball have some basic inexpensive acoustic strings, there are fancier ones too (like Elixir) but you're best off getting a 'normal' set at first, just so you have something to compare to. So yeah, don't get upsold on those I guess

Just make sure that whatever you get, you remember what gauge they are. Acoustic sets are annoying, in that they get called "extra light" etc instead of just using the number. Just makes it harder to remember exactly what you're using imo

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

baka kaba posted:

Just make sure that whatever you get, you remember what gauge they are. Acoustic sets are annoying, in that they get called "extra light" etc instead of just using the number. Just makes it harder to remember exactly what you're using imo

This isn't entirely accurate. Acoustic string packs also list the gauge. It's not like a store employee is going to look at you slack-jawed of you say you want Martin acoustic tens or something.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Chip McFuck posted:

It's not like a store employee is going to look at you slack-jawed of you say you want Martin acoustic tens or something.
They might, for buying such tiny little strings.
(I kid.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anime Reference posted:

They might, for buying such tiny little strings.
(I kid.)

But legit I did not know you could get acoustic 10s short of like special orders

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Shugojin posted:

But legit I did not know you could get acoustic 10s short of like special orders

I always thought acoustic strings came in 13, 12 and gently caress You so I was surprised at how robust the selection was. Wish I'd known about them back when I still had an acoustic (although that thing was a shitheap so it might not have helped.)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chip McFuck posted:

It's not like a store employee is going to look at you slack-jawed

if it's guitar center they probably will

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if it's guitar center they probably will
god I might go to guitar center to try an amp, pray for me

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Anime Reference posted:

I always thought acoustic strings came in 13, 12 and gently caress You so I was surprised at how robust the selection was. Wish I'd known about them back when I still had an acoustic (although that thing was a shitheap so it might not have helped.)

The naming convention for most acoustic strings is something along the lines of:

13s - "Medium"
12s- "Light"
11s - "______ Light" (Usually "Custom Light", but GHS uses "Extra Light," SIT calls them "Pro Light" and there are a few other variants)
10s - "Extra Light" ("Ultra Light" for GHS)

Of course, there's variance in gauge across the other five strings for different brands, so keep notes on what you like!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Chip McFuck posted:

It's not like a store employee is going to look at you slack-jawed of you say you want Martin acoustic tens or something.

That absolutely happened to me last time I bought acoustic strings from a store. I seem to always end up dealing with the surly gatekeeper dude every time I go into one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

After The War posted:

The naming convention for most acoustic strings is something along the lines of:

13s - "Medium"
12s- "Light"
11s - "______ Light" (Usually "Custom Light", but GHS uses "Extra Light," SIT calls them "Pro Light" and there are a few other variants)
10s - "Extra Light" ("Ultra Light" for GHS)

Of course, there's variance in gauge across the other five strings for different brands, so keep notes on what you like!

Ernie Ball calls 11s "Light" and 12s "Medium Light" 🤔

Actually going off this image search

• Gibson calls 11s ULTRA LIGHT, which sounds lighter than Super Light which is what D'Addario calls 9s
  • Oh wait, Gibson calls 10s SUPER ULTRA LIGHT, 9s are probably called LIGHT AS FUUUCK
  • Epiphone, proudly "Part of Gibson Brands" also calls 11s "ultra light"... just kidding that's 9s
  • Elixir call 13s Medium... unless they're 13-53 in which case they're HD LIGHT
  • D'Addario has Medium... and True Medium! Now what!

So the heaviest set anyone makes is always called "medium", even though it's at the extreme, and everything else is some random variation on "light", like they're falling over themselves to describe every gauge as like strumming angel hair, you won't believe how mega light these are, the best

I know it's weird marketing silliness but is there anything behind it at all? Does plain "light" or "medium" reflect a standard set of tensions, so different materials and construction might produce a "light" set using different gauges? And "light" should always feel exactly the same whatever the brand?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They won't even be consistent within the same brand. D'addario sells 11-49 and 13-56 electric sets that are both "Medium" (and a 12-60 set that's "Extra Heavy".)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

baka kaba posted:

So the heaviest set anyone makes is always called "medium", even though it's at the extreme, and everything else is some random variation on "light", like they're falling over themselves to describe every gauge as like strumming angel hair, you won't believe how mega light these are, the best

When I was still working in music stores, if customers ever asked what the deal was, I told them the names were determined in the "Drunken Mustache" era.

(Pictured: The Guitar Emporium employee asking if you'd like guitar strings or a gauge more suitable for polio victims, like 13s)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

After The War posted:

When I was still working in music stores, if customers ever asked what the deal was, I told them the names were determined in the "Drunken Mustache" era.

(Pictured: The Guitar Emporium employee asking if you'd like guitar strings or a gauge more suitable for polio victims, like 13s)

Which is extra fun, because I was watching this youtube video with a Martin from 1902 and the guy mentioned that you had to use SUPER SUPER SUPER light, low tension strings on it or else you'd pull the bridge off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF6pi-WiP7o

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

At first I thought 00-42 was the gauge you were meant to use, and I was all "come on!!"

Still trying to decide whether that guitar is too much (nah). Shame about the bridge though. Hope whoever buys it doesn't put some ULTRA LIGHT strings on it like an idiot

After The War posted:

Circuses full of strongmen all pulling the sickest bends

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve settled on lights for everything. Sounds best to me and forces me to stay relaxed.

Yooooo manlove you wanna do a cool black metaly thing so I can shred some silly minor solos over it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Whoops sorry I got distracted with the first week at a new job, I'll do it tonight when I get home

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don’t worry I can’t remember to do anything ever even when I have nothing going on

Anyone know the best free/cheap video editing software for Mac I can easily add text in? Can I just do that in iMovie? I’ve got the split tuner video good but hosed up on audio so I figured I’ll just sprinkle text in.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah imovie lets you add text but iirc it's called titles or some poo poo like that

don't forget to use some still shots and add the ken burns effect

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Having a problem with my 4-5 year old guitar. Sometimes when I bump the volume knob with my hand while playing the sound will short out and I have to jiggle the knob to get it to come back at all. It will cut out almost entirely even if the knob isn't actually moved.

I'm assuming this just means there is some loose connection but I've never dug at the insides of a guitar before, so I'm wondering if this is something I could fix myself with a soldering iron or if I should just go to a repair shop.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah imovie lets you add text but iirc it's called titles or some poo poo like that

don't forget to use some still shots and add the ken burns effect

That's a funny way to say Star Wipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72bUheqRE5o

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Should just be an easy fix where you resolder a joint or replace a pot, cap, or wire. The inside of a guitar is pretty easy to fix.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Agent355 posted:

Having a problem with my 4-5 year old guitar. Sometimes when I bump the volume knob with my hand while playing the sound will short out and I have to jiggle the knob to get it to come back at all. It will cut out almost entirely even if the knob isn't actually moved.

I'm assuming this just means there is some loose connection but I've never dug at the insides of a guitar before, so I'm wondering if this is something I could fix myself with a soldering iron or if I should just go to a repair shop.

Most likely is just a loose connection. Is the pot screwed on tightly? You shouldn't be able to jiggle it. If the pot itself is loose it could be making contact with the wood of the guitar, creating a short.

Either way, bad connections are pretty easy to diagnose. Gently pull the wires soldered to the pot and if you can feel some give in the solder joint, it needs to be resoldered. While you're at it, you should also check the input jack. Occasionally, the force of inserting and removing the instrument cable or retightening the nut a lot can cause the jack to rotate in place, breaking the solder joints. This doesn't happen often, but it's good to check just in case.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's a good idea to keep tabs on the input jack anyway, I've found they have an annoying habit of unscrewing themselves.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
It could just as easily be a dirty/rusty pot. I had this problem in my amp and a few guitars. If the volume drops in and out as you rotate it, or there is a scratchy noise, then it could just be a dirty pot. Someone suggested this to me a few months back and it was a life changer.

I recommend everyone have some electrical contact cleaner on hand for their guitar equipment. I got Deoxit, but there are probably a million brands that are all about the same. But it works like a magic. Out of about 20 pots I tried it in, only one didn't solve the problem. I have a feeling it might be a damage or bad pot though. I even used it only computer speaker volume knob and the volume knob for my Amplitube Stealth pedal. It started to get a bit addictive until I had nothing more to use it on.

You use it by simply taking the knob off the top and spraying with the little nozzle at the seam between the shaft and the body of the pot. You will need to create a sprayshield with a paper towel, cause otherwise it will get everywhere. Then twist the shaft through the full range of motion a dozen times or so. You sometimes get a feel for when all the gunk is gone. Repeat if necessary. Usually its not even needed. Then put your knob back on and its good to go. Dozens of videos on youtube if you have no idea what I am talking about.

I have read that you should not use WD-40 as it is a lubricant and not at all the same sort of thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve settled on lights for everything. Sounds best to me and forces me to stay relaxed.

Yooooo manlove you wanna do a cool black metaly thing so I can shred some silly minor solos over it?

Ok i quickly pooped out a little riff to solo over. Here's the wav file and a soundcloud link for anyone who cares to listen without downloading it. Just put the wav file on repeat

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/f-minor-solo-background

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5t7wqwm5ofhlrn/F%23%20Minor%20Solo%20Background.wav?dl=0

Key is F# minor
starts with simple f#/a diad to A maj7 then down to a little sixes thing still staying in the key, roots at D then c# then D (B-D, A-c#, B-D), then a turnaround with an augmented arpeggio going D/F/A/D
So barebones roots are F#m, Amaj7, D, C#, D, turnaround
(I'm playing this in B standard hence the low range)

I may upload more if I can quickly think of other stuff

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 26, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I replaced the strings with new, lower gauge ones. Sounds much better and it's now way easier to play :kamina:

I'm noticing some subtle buzzing from a couple of strings though. Seems to be coming from the bridge/saddle, I think? Is it just a case of them needing to settle or something?

E: seems to be gone now, I think. Or maybe it was just my imagination because it sounded so much duller before :iiam:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 26, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ok i quickly pooped out a little riff to solo over. Here's the wav file and a soundcloud link for anyone who cares to listen without downloading it. Just put the wav file on repeat

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/f-minor-solo-background

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5t7wqwm5ofhlrn/F%23%20Minor%20Solo%20Background.wav?dl=0

Key is F# minor
starts with simple f#/a diad to A maj7 then down to a little sixes thing still staying in the key, roots at D then c# then D (B-D, A-c#, B-D), then a turnaround with an augmented arpeggio going D/F/A/D
So barebones roots are F#m, Amaj7, D, C#, D, turnaround
(I'm playing this in B standard hence the low range)

I may upload more if I can quickly think of other stuff

HELL YEAH BROTHER those riffs are great. I’ll see what I can come up with and post it up. I guess I’ll use modeling software since that’s easy. Hopefully it doesn’t dropkick my creativity.

If anyone else wants to join in do it! :black101:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Why yes, I do believe I'll try to join in! And if it's in B-standard, that's a great chance for me to practice leads on the baritone!

:gibs:

Brutal, man. I think I'm going to slink away and work on "Polly Wolly Doddle" for a while. Very... slowly...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ugh I’m kind of wanting a 7 string again lately and this B standard stuff never helps

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hope you guys can find some use out of it and find something cool.

Any requests for something similar in a different key/mode?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Anyone have opinions on GuitarFetish/Xaviere guitars, specifically the hollows and semi-hollows? Tried reading back in the thread like 10 or so pages, checked OP and didn't see anything mentioning them. I know their pickups are liked enough, and I've had good luck with those already. I'm under no impression that I'm gonna be getting a $1k+ guitar for $200, but I've read reviews that range from "perfect in every way" to "cat piss on dog poo poo" to "very okay". Bad quality control, or bad internet opinions?

Appreciate any responses, I'm just jonesin' for a guitar that's a good bit different from what I have already and got a fuckin' fat tax return. Was looking at the XV-950 because gently caress it why not.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I liked mine

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Appreciate any responses, I'm just jonesin' for a guitar that's a good bit different from what I have already and got a fuckin' fat tax return. Was looking at the XV-950 because gently caress it why not.

I've been pretty sorely tempted by the XV-950 too so let us know how you like it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spanish Manlove posted:

The inside of a guitar is pretty easy to fix.

I wanted to take a break from like hour 5 of replacing the electronics on my guitar to say that I hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Ultra beginner question. I inherited a 12 string acousic-electric guitar. This thing: http://mitchellguitars.com/product/mitchell-md100s12e-guitar/

What is acoustic-electric? Does it hook up to an amp? It has a battery pack on the inside, but I'd have to unstring the guitar to replace the battery, which would be a pain in the rear end. Is it worth the effort? I've just been playing it acoustically, and it sounds fine.