Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Conspiratiorist posted:

In case I wasn't being clear enough, you can and should remove spell copying from Wizards in your games.

Or give it to everyone. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Firstborn posted:

Could you elaborate a little bit? I'm having a hard time searching for this.
Phoneposting so not going to do it justice.

Reign's (by Greg Stolze) resolution system is roll a handful of dice and look for matches. Higher numbers on the matching dice mean better results, triples etc. mean you do your task faster. There's a very expensive kind of die called a master die which you can set to any number after the roll.

Everyone has a master die in their native language for free, and you need at least one basic die in a language to try to talk in it. Reign doesn't have a Common equivalent. Everyone's going to start with a smattering of additional languages.

When two people try to communicate in a language that at least one of them is not a fluent speaker of (i.e. doesn't have an MD or ED), they form a single dice pool of their respective skills in the language and roll to see how well they can talk. A couple of tens, perfect understanding of whatever was trying to be communicated. Three 1s means basic concepts only, but at least it was fast. If one is a native speaker you're always guaranteed at least one success, since the native speaker can set their MD to match the highest roll of the rest of the dice. But again, the rest of the dice might be a bunch of ones. Two non-native speakers are rolling a handful of d10s and hoping for the best.

So there's degrees of understanding. If my Imperial character speaks no Dindivaran and that Dindavaran with the knife speaks no Imperial but oh hey we both speak a little Ruhini, that's a potentially less stabby scenario then it could have been. It's also a different, and riskier, situation to one where I'm absolutely sure he understands "Oh god don't stab me I'll leave quietly". And if I speak his language fluently, well, he might just be happy enough for a chance of decent conversation that things end up going very well indeed.

Communication is also way more important in Reign given the themes of the game. A trade meet round table where everyone speaks the same language is very different to one where there's a significant language barrier, which is different to one where one side just thinks there is, and all of this can be represented mechanically.

Should go without saying but obviously you only roll if it matters. Party members aren't going to be rolling to ask each other to pass the salt, but asking directions of a stranger to a particular market in an unfamiliar city could be interesting.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just remembered that one of my players took Summon Greater Demon as a spell upon hitting level 7, and it's really only a matter of time until he does something wildly irresponsible with it.

I can't wait.

e: I just remembered that I need to make new spell card sheets for my players, and I know if I tell them to do it, they won't remember. Is there a good website or app where I can punch in a list of spells, and it'll spit out cards in a format that's easy to print out?

inthesto fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 26, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

inthesto posted:

I just remembered that one of my players took Summon Greater Demon as a spell upon hitting level 7, and it's really only a matter of time until he does something wildly irresponsible with it.

I can't wait.

e: I just remembered that I need to make new spell card sheets for my players, and I know if I tell them to do it, they won't remember. Is there a good website or app where I can punch in a list of spells, and it'll spit out cards in a format that's easy to print out?

Ahh Summoning Demons and Devils. Helpful if it works, dangerous if it does not.

Here are all the monsters he can summon with that spell. (Eventully in the case of the CR 6 and above Demons.) https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters?...tags=59&sort=cr

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 26, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

inthesto posted:

I can't wait.

Hardcodex.ru

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

lofi posted:

Or give it to everyone. :devil:

Give the LEAST spotlight to scroll guy getting spells and abilities.

The Fighter and Ranger meet a retired Dragonslayer that spars with the two every time they level and gives them the odd piece of gear from their adventuring days.

The Bard meets a weird Tiefling in dark clothing, always at a crossroads. He teaches the Bard a magical song written by the personification of dread and leaves.

The Wizard goes to his room and writes in his journal like a nerd. Scene over.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I saw someone say Bugbears as a player race are overpowered. Is this true? I like the idea of being a huge, beefy rogue who still manages to be a sneaky fucker.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glagha posted:

I saw someone say Bugbears as a player race are overpowered. Is this true? I like the idea of being a huge, beefy rogue who still manages to be a sneaky fucker.

Overpowered I would say no, but they are a good race.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

In case I wasn't being clear enough, you can and should remove spell copying from Wizards in your games. Don't replace it with anything; it's a feature that simply isn't needed.

Or just give them fun situational rituals and weird spells that they might find a way to use and let them spend their own progression on Fireball and Counterspell and all that.

I'd much rather play a game where I get to see weird poo poo like Magic Mouth and Contact Other Plane get cast than one where the wizard only knows two or three obviously good spells per level.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Glagha posted:

They get some neat tricks, but being a great race for a couple martial classes isn't exactly OP.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

slap me and kiss me posted:

Players have to pick what they're going to do, negotiate with the DM about who and what their spells affect, discuss strategy. How that's all possible in under 60 seconds a person is beyond me. Rolling, checking difficulty / ac, and applying damage is a minute on its own.

Replying to this first one.But read the whole conversation, promise.

So first off: we play with a grid (right now it's a 7 person roll 20 game actually so even easier). We all know our spells well. And the grid makes it easy to see who we affect ahead of time. Most turns in game i have had planned outsince my last turn what I will do.

I can see the game taking longer if you are waiting for the GM to adjudicate every single action and tell you what your spells hit. But that sounds like bad GMing to me, not a fault of the game.

Our most recent session with 7 players went for 4 hours. During it we had 3combats, a downtime scene of character drama and the team growing together, a pretty long scene of us stalking through a cave , and then bam done.

And they were not super easy combats or anything either.

I still have no idea how you are seeing 5 minute turns.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

KittyEmpress posted:

So first off: we play with a grid (right now it's a 7 person roll 20 game actually so even easier). We all know our spells well. And the grid makes it easy to see who we affect ahead of time. Most turns in game i have had planned outsince my last turn what I will do.

I can see the game taking longer if you are waiting for the GM to adjudicate every single action and tell you what your spells hit. But that sounds like bad GMing to me, not a fault of the game.

Our most recent session with 7 players went for 4 hours. During it we had 3combats, a downtime scene of character drama and the team growing together, a pretty long scene of us stalking through a cave , and then bam done.

Adventurer's League

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Adventurer's League

Do... do they not use grids in AL? That... that's incredibly stupid. D&D has always worked best with a grid, it's why all the measurements are in explicit feet where they have an exact measurement of how far that many feet is via a grid.

Why would the official play not use them?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm not talking about roll20 where everything's precomputed, I'm talking about playing with people sitting around a table.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

KittyEmpress posted:

Do... do they not use grids in AL? That... that's incredibly stupid. D&D has always worked best with a grid, it's why all the measurements are in explicit feet where they have an exact measurement of how far that many feet is via a grid.

Some do, some don’t. DMs choice. We usually do simple fights TotM and more complex ones on a grid or at least a whiteboard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KittyEmpress posted:

No there are grids in AL, If the DM and players want to use them. It all depends on how the game is setup. No automation with Theater of the Mind takes longer then lots of automation with a grid.

And lots of people just don't use grids.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There still shouldn't be so many armor classes flying around that it takes a minute to do one attack roll/hit confirm/damage roll. As a DM, if I was spending a minute per turn looking stuff up, I'd start improvising the numbers rather than continue doing that. You only have to look stuff up when it's ambiguous - an 18 hits, an 11 misses, look it up if it's between those should save a good bit of the time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 26, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The DM should have enemy ACs/saves present, and every player should know exactly what their attack and damage modifiers are before their turn starts. Rolling for attack and damage are the easiest parts of the turn and really shouldn't be bogging things down.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I try to keep turns quick, though most of the time is taken up by players wondering what they'll be doing when it is their turn, while the dice rolling and calculation is pretty quick.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah its more about people in AL, even with a grid, not knowing what the gently caress. You get all kinds in AL, and a lot of them are folks who, despite getting to level seven, still don't know how their loving skeletons or spells work and yet insist on playing a necromancer.

And those games are almost invariably with seven people unless you're at an out of the way store with little traffic

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is AL better or worse than finding your own group on Roll20 or SA?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Or just give them fun situational rituals and weird spells that they might find a way to use and let them spend their own progression on Fireball and Counterspell and all that.

I'd much rather play a game where I get to see weird poo poo like Magic Mouth and Contact Other Plane get cast than one where the wizard only knows two or three obviously good spells per level.

Four.

Wizards learn two spells per level and start with 6, so their typical progression will see 8 1st level spells and then 4 of each level.

If you want to see the weirder, niche poo poo then just hand it out in scrolls like normal - they can spend the scroll to cast it like any other caster would, and it's not like it'll be used more than once or twice per campaign (if as much) so why do they need to learn it?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Pollyanna posted:

AL is specifically for dungeoncrawling through official modules. If that's what you're looking for with your D&D experience, it's better than the alternatives.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

AL is specifically for dungeoncrawling through official modules. If that's what you're looking for with your D&D experience, it's better than the alternatives.

They also do their own thing with other AL exclusive Modules. As well some of them run their own games through AL.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Bugbear racial feat from the D&D Beyond Xanathar addendum that gives them extra health and inspiration from rests because they're so good at napping is my favorite thing in the game

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blockhouse posted:

The Bugbear racial feat from the D&D Beyond Xanathar addendum that gives them extra health and inspiration from rests because they're so good at napping is my favorite thing in the game
God drat it I just introduced my new character and then you tell me snoozemaster is a thing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah holy poo poo I was just kinda "a Bugbear would be fun" and now I want to play one more than anything

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Half-halfling Quarterling half-bugbear is my spirit animal. :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
According to Volo's guide Bugbears are not even particularly evil. They enjoy some unsavory things, like cutting enemy leaders heads off, but other then that their laziness offsets their viciousness. Stating that "Left to their own devices, bugbears have little more impact on the world than wolf packs." The exceptions being when they are find some goblins to lord over, when Hobgoblins recruit them into their armies, or when some evil dude hires them to club someone to death in their sleep. (As they make good thugs and assassins.)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My party takes the heads of like 50 percent of all the named badguys we kill

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My party had an increasingly rotted giant ear they kept showing to town leaders.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah that is still kind of unsavory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pollyanna posted:

That's like asking if it's better to play an online game with your friends on a private server or with random matchups.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What's the laziest race/class/build? I'm not talking about "you just attack so it's easy", I want to see something that will allow the player to contribute to encounters while the character does as little shooting, swording, spellcasting or moving around as possible.

---

My old Hackmaster group would collect body parts from practically everything they killed. The system kind of encourages this, but not the the extent they engaged in it. To be fair to the players, that group of characters were all (randomly rolled) mechanically traumatised messes to whom "murderhobos" would be a bunch of do-gooders. Also to be fair they wouldn't get annoyed if people wouldn't want their gore-covered trophy cart anywhere near the village - they'd simply park somewhere past the boundary knowing full well that various merchants, shysters, hangers-on, loan sharks, and general villainous scum would be unable to resist coming out to trade with them because adventurers always have a fuckload of loot to spend.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 27, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AlphaDog posted:

What's the laziest race/class/build? I'm not talking about "you just attack so it's easy", I want to see something that will allow the player to contribute to encounters while the character does as little shooting, swording, spellcasting or moving around as possible.

Ranged fighter I imagine

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

MonsterEnvy posted:

According to Volo's guide Bugbears are not even particularly evil. They enjoy some unsavory things, like cutting enemy leaders heads off, but other then that their laziness offsets their viciousness. Stating that "Left to their own devices, bugbears have little more impact on the world than wolf packs." The exceptions being when they are find some goblins to lord over, when Hobgoblins recruit them into their armies, or when some evil dude hires them to club someone to death in their sleep. (As they make good thugs and assassins.)

D20 Modern had a whole bit about bugbears being ideal bouncers and bodyguards and at least occasionally as less-than-ethical police officers.

Really, they're what happens if you made a housecat 8 feet tall and gave it an axe. They can be cruel, vicious, nasty hunters. But what they really want is a nice patch of sun to sleep in and a free meal.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

AlphaDog posted:

A warlock with Invocations focused on making Eldritch Blast more powerful. It's straightforward but can be modified to fit a playstyle (pushing, pulling, etc.) plus has a few spell slots for bigger things as necessary, but not too many slots or too many options to be overwhelming.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I challenged myself to make a Warlock for our current campaign that didn't have Hex or Eldritch Blast, and wasn't a Hexblade. It's worked out so far but I can't imagine there are that many builds that could fit in those constraints.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

All this bugbear talk is making me wonder how easy it would be to pick up 5e and just drop it in a modern era of the fantasy world. Like, Zootopia, except everyone's fantasy races & people still adventure but it's kinda modernized.

-Bugbear taxi drivers!
-The Half-Orc who runs the butcher shop
-One of the big bad's is a mega-rich Elf who runs one of the evil corporations that is exploiting adventurers

Has there been a D20 Modern hack for 5e yet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA