Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I saw ICP wrestle at a WCW house show.

ICP was a good use of WCW's money, they have a proven track record of bringing in every juggalo within a 100 mile radius :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

RZApublican posted:

ICP was a good use of WCW's money, they have a proven track record of bringing in every juggalo within a 100 mile radius :v:

Plus, ICP has legit wrestling chops. They've got surprisingly extensive pro wrasslin' experience, and as promoters, they're supposedly some of the least shady in the business. All told, hiring ICP to show up may have been one of the smarter moves WCW ever made.

(I too can't believe I'm defending the Insane Clown Posse, but latter-day WCW was some kind of hosed up bizarro world where black is white, up is down, and nothing makes sense anymore.)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Icp would have been a smart move. A few grand for a segment and maybe do 10 minutes of clown raps in the ring after the show would bring in enough of those morons to be worth it in a lot of markets.

At least compared to how much they were paying other acts that brought in nothing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I mean, ICP will pay you $50 to roll in broken glass, but they will actually pay you the $50 and probably some free bong hits.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
ICP didn't move business, they weren't any good in the ring (decent by non wrestler standards but they were used in matches regularly so the standard is different) and were taking TV time away from much better wrestlers. In 99 WCW still had a stacked roster. They used them, it didn't work. Fine. Then they brought them back and it didn't work again!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
did Dylan Hales ever say if they were better than HHH though

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, ICP will pay you $50 to roll in broken glass, but they will actually pay you the $50 and probably some free bong hits.

Icp is actually ridiculously generous on their payouts, no joke.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
ICP's issue is false advertising but I've heard that more on the musical act side of things.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

ICP didn't move business, they weren't any good in the ring (decent by non wrestler standards but they were used in matches regularly so the standard is different) and were taking TV time away from much better wrestlers. In 99 WCW still had a stacked roster. They used them, it didn't work. Fine. Then they brought them back and it didn't work again!

I'm pretty sure Mike Awesome killed one of them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

stab posted:

Icp is actually ridiculously generous on their payouts, no joke.
I just kinda assumed that they were paying the name guys enough to be there, and were being pretty generous to the hardcore indie guys, but wouldn't really pay much to the basically untrained no name guys.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Seemed like every wrestling show in the late 90's had at least one hatchet man sign in the crowd.

ICP's former companion act Twiztid hosted their own little convention earlier this year where I almost literally walked into Hall and Nash. The guy who plays Jason Voorhees was also there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

exploded mummy posted:

I'm pretty sure Mike Awesome killed one of them

There was a spot where Mike Awesome (doing his Fat Chick Thriller 70s guy gimmick) was brawling with one of the ICP on top of his stupid bus and he awesome bombed the ICP guy on the roof. Mike then looked very pleased with himself until the ICP guy started sliding off the bus and he basically went "oh poo poo!" and tried to grab him before he went off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Open Marriage Night posted:

Seemed like every wrestling show in the late 90's had at least one hatchet man sign in the crowd.

ICP's former companion act Twiztid hosted their own little convention earlier this year where I almost literally walked into Hall and Nash. The guy who plays Jason Voorhees was also there.

Kane Hodder or one of the other, lesser Jasons?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

Definitely Hodder. He has a hatchet man tattoo, but with a machete instead.

I’m also surprised to hear that ICP didn’t do anything for business. They were insanely over at Summerslam ‘98 at the Garden. Unless it was because of all the South Park merchandise the Oddities were wearing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Randaconda posted:

Hodder's a hardcore Juggalo, if someone talks about a Jason involved with ICP it's probably Hodder

e: also, yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised by that because you'd think the overlap between Attitude Era marks and people who were juggalos in the late 90s would be pretty close to a circle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I should say I have no idea how ICP impacted WWF business, I'm just talking about WCW. Suffice to say business did not increase in the late summer of 99 or 2000. Given how short their WWE run was I'd guess they didn't make much of a difference.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also, yeah, I'm actually kind of surprised by that because you'd think the overlap between Attitude Era marks and people who were juggalos in the late 90s would be pretty close to a circle.

Neither WWF nor WCW sold methamphetamine, so no there was not a profit to be had from Juggalos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Neither WWF nor WCW sold methamphetamine, so no there was not a profit to be had from Juggalos.

Jeff Hardy and Sean Waltman were both employed by WWF at this time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MrBling posted:

There was a spot where Mike Awesome (doing his Fat Chick Thriller 70s guy gimmick) was brawling with one of the ICP on top of his stupid bus and he awesome bombed the ICP guy on the roof. Mike then looked very pleased with himself until the ICP guy started sliding off the bus and he basically went "oh poo poo!" and tried to grab him before he went off.

you think the fat chick thriller would be able to find common ground with the icp

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endorph posted:

you think the fat chick thriller would be able to find common ground with the icp

it was a very dumb feud.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/QuarterlyValuableEquestrian.mp4

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Jimmy Hart's delayed reaction is the best.

"No injuries, no broken bones... YAY HULK!"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I like how he has to hop a few times to stop from falling over

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Nah, he's just moving to the outside to be at the right angle for the kick.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I flipped on a random episode of Nitro from 1997 and it kept my attention the whole show, so I ended up watching two more (It was the two episodes before the 3 hour debut + the first 3 hour show)

Segments flow so well into the next, there's not much wasted time anywhere on the show. Everyone had their unique styles and not the uniform "WWE Style" even the cruiserweights wrestle now if they're on RAW. If there's an unimportant match between people they want to get screen time, they'll go between calling the action in the match and talking about important stories. There's also stories top to bottom of the shows, and not just the main event. They make pretty good use of "jobbers" too, like the Hangmen showed up to wrestle Norton and Bagwell but they put over that these guys have been a big deal in certain territories. It wasn't a super competitive match, but it wasn't a total squash either.

I wish RAW and Smackdown were this easy to watch, the rosters are easily better than the average on a 97 Nitro, but everyone's utilized much better. The only issue I'd take is the TV and Cruiserweight titles at this time were just sort of hot-shotted around for no particular reason

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The general rule from about 97-99 is that the undercard for WCW is great and the main events are shitshows and the inverse is true of the WWF.
Then after that point, the undercard from WCW began trickling into the WWF so WCW was left with poo poo top-to-bottom.

It was common in my neck of the woods for folks to religiously watch the 1.5 hour or so of Nitro, occasionally checking the angles on RAW, and then flipping over for the rest of the night once Hogan, Piper, Nash, & Co. started popping up on screen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think it was about late '98 when Nitro as a show started to decline. Rest of the year, yeah they're making bad long-term decisions, but it's still a fun program (albeit too long at three hours.)

The same is true of the show when it started- the PPVs in late 95 and early 96 were mostly garbage because the major story was "Hulk Hogan is the best and strongest forever", but Nitro itself has a lot of good workers and a great pace and feel. If nothing else I'll always credit Bischoff for coming up with a winning TV formula (even if he started to forget it after a few years.)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

It was common in my neck of the woods for folks to religiously watch the 1.5 hour or so of Nitro, occasionally checking the angles on RAW, and then flipping over for the rest of the night once Hogan, Piper, Nash, & Co. started popping up on screen.

Same here. And I was one of the many who flipped from Nitro to watch Foley win the title.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

D.N. Nation posted:

Same here. And I was one of the many who flipped from Nitro to watch Foley win the title.

yeah, I'd usually watch the first hour of Nitro because Indiana didn't adhere to DST so USA and TNT would be an hour off to each other. I got to see LWO and other good workrate matches and then dip over to whatever bra and panty mudfestival Russo wrote up that week for RAW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I was also one of those people, and as WCW got worse and worse I started just watching Raw more and more.

Not that there wasn't some stuff already on the WWF midcard that I liked, and some stuff in the main event that I hated. I was a huge Undertaker mark but the Corporate Ministry stuff could get really repetitive.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its really hard to keep things fresh when nearly all the tag teams and IC contenders are part of the same faction.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ICP had a funny story in an interview where Chris Benoit was shooting an interview or something so there a sign on the door saying keep out/stay quiet and ICP and some other wrestler were standing outside of it and the wrestler knocked on the door and he and Shaggy ran off and J stayed and Benoit roared out of the room and started screaming in J's face, spit flying, and J was scared to death.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oldpainless posted:

ICP had a funny story in an interview where Chris Benoit was shooting an interview or something so there a sign on the door saying keep out/stay quiet and ICP and some other wrestler were standing outside of it and the wrestler knocked on the door and he and Shaggy ran off and J stayed and Benoit roared out of the room and started screaming in J's face, spit flying, and J was scared to death.

is the joke that chris benoit had such severe brain damage it caused him to commit murder in a fit of rage, is that why the story is funny

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

corn in the bible posted:

is the joke that chris benoit had such severe brain damage it caused him to commit murder in a fit of rage, is that why the story is funny

Kevin Sullivan framed him

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bobby Heenan was unmistakably drunk by the end of Hog Wild 96. :roflolmao:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

corn in the bible posted:

No it isn’t and I’m sorry for whatever has happened to make you this way

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

oldpainless posted:

Vampiro

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Bobby Heenan was unmistakably drunk by the end of Hog Wild 96. :roflolmao:

I would definitely be flasking it if I had to hang out with these two for three hours.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's the most Florida Man Dusty could possibly look without being covered in meth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

That's the most Florida Man Dusty could possibly look without being covered in meth

Florida still mourns the Dream :smithcloud: