Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Please tell me we're actually just hans major tripping on that drug he was making and everyone important is watching us run around knowing we aren't snake and giggling off camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

FoolyCharged posted:

Please tell me we're actually just hans major tripping on that drug he was making and everyone important is watching us run around knowing we aren't snake and giggling off camera.

Metal Gear Acid wasn't an accidental name.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Man I played this game back in the day and I don't remember what 90% of this is about.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

That's a defense mechanism in response to metal gear "logic".

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cool Ghost posted:

Part Fourteen: Mr. Snake's Wild Ride Begins

After the mission, another one of these information commercials shows up. You can click the image if you want to watch the video.

this has a very Suda51 vibe going on.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Fifteen: Discount Cutscene Warehouse

Last time on Metal Gear Acid, Gary called and told Snake that Pythagoras is Metal Gear, but he's actually after ACUA, which is some kind of combat enhancer drug that Flemming and Hans Davis worked together to develop. We also found out that Hans Davis brought a bunch of children to Lobito Island but then they all died in an accident. He also mentioned something called the "Ritual of Conjuration" which didn't happen in this warehouse, but he didn't really explain that beyond that one single point. Then he said his real goal was just to find the ACUA data so he could sell it. Finally, he hung up on us, which was honestly extremely rude.

Now it's time to talk about this. This single mission contains some large fraction of the plot. Let's say a fifth.

Snake: So you knew.

Snake apparently knows about Metal Gear in this timeline, at least. And he doesn't seem pleased to find out about its being here.

Roger: One of our investigators states the possibility of a nuclear development project taking place in the Physics and Chemistry Laboratory. But there wasn't any smoking gun proof of it. It was nothing more than a possibility.

The American government, widely known for its even-handed approach to this type of situation, didn't follow up.

Snake: Even if it was the slimmest of possibilities, it should have been put under investigation.

There's no voice acting or animation to emphasise it, but this honestly seems like the first time Snake's had strong feelings about anything involved in the mission.

Roger: Truth be told, it was. But we were pressured out of it before we could really get down to business.

Snake: ...

Someone's gotta ask.

I love these moments in Metal Gear games, when Metal Gear the weapon is just casually explained like this.

Roger: Once the strict property of the United States, but due to a leakage of military secrets, other countries were equipped with enough technical capability to build their own.

This seems to allude to a minor plot point in Metal Gear Solid 2, that the blueprints for Metal Gear Rex had been sold on the black market and a bunch of knockoffs were cropping up around the place. It doesn't quite jive with the main timeline, though, since Metal Gear was never the strict property of the United States.

Teliko: Why would something like that be in this lab?

Teliko's not, like, a Snake super-fan, I guess.

Teliko: Who would do such a thing? And for what purpose?
Roger: You can bet the house that BEAGLE is behind this.

Roger says this like it's supposed to be a reveal, but this is BEAGLE's lab.

It's probably not how it's meant, but I imagine Snake sounding very sarcastic here.

Snake: That would mean Leone's unit is after Metal Gear.
Roger: Do those bastards plan on firing a nuke at the United States of America?
Snake: Roger, can you zero in on Gary's location?

Alice is also in this cutscene.

Roger: Alice?
Alice: Hm?
Roger: What's on your mind?
Alice: Just... something's bothering me.
Snake: What is it?
Alice: Nothing important.

I guess they were short on word count.

Alice: I can't seem to view him for some reason.
Roger: ...I see. At any rate, we know that Gary was after the ACUA data. I'll report back to headquarters that Pythagoras could very well be the development plans for a Metal Gear. But Snake... I intend to withhold any mention of your name or previous involvement with Pythagoras from my report.

The evidence of Snake's previous involvement with Pythagoras is that a terminal logged in and then a self-admitted criminal alluded to Snake knowing something. It's not exactly a smoking gun.

Roger: And I won't be asking any questions about your connection to Hans Davis for the time being.
Snake: I don't mind. Let them think what they want about me.
Roger: No, Snake. If they have any second thoughts about your intentions, it could jeopardize our mission. Your presence is vital to this operation, and important to me.

Roger: Find him before Gary does. Flemming's corpse can't help us.
Teliko: Gary was serious, Snake. If he gets there before us, Flemming's life is in danger. Let's hurry.
Roger: Head for BRC-026, Snake. And find Flemming immediately.
Snake: Right.

And so, finally, the mission begins. Despite selecting BRC-026 on the map, we're apparently not there. Who knows.

Of course, this warehouse isn't empty. The layout is basically just a square, with those shipping containers providing cover and red barrels to provide explosions if you're so inclined.

In addition to the human guards, there are also a couple of patrol bots rolling around. Pretty standard stuff, really. However, the warehouse is just the first room of a long mission.

One last thing is that these blood stains are still on the floor, which is how you can tell it's the same warehouse Teliko came through in the intro. They have no gameplay importance, they're simple set-dressing.

And now the actual gameplay can finally get rolling.

I start off by equipping Snake with an AKS-74u. This is the primary weapon in his deck, for now. I'm going weapons-free on this map, since there's a fairly long section in the middle that's a lot easier if you just kill everyone in your way.

In my experience, the easiest way to navigate the warehouse is by going around on the far left side.

Teliko "follows" Snake, but she's a little more mobile with her 3 actions per turn, so she's actually leading the charge.

The guards tend to move towards the centre to start off, leaving the flank open.

The path leads on around this corner, but...

The patrol bot's got the place covered.

Which is why Snake's here.

The Otacon card attaches to an Equip-type weapon, boosting its damage by 10 points per shot and adding the anti-armour property.

You also get to watch Otacon cower silently in a locker. These clips are such a bizarre thing to include.

After attaching that Otacon boost, the AKS becomes a great weapon to blow these things up with.

This explosion doesn't draw enemies in, as near as I can tell. It's like Chaff Grenades, a silent explosion.

And, with the bot out of the way, there's a gap for Teliko to slip through.

Unfortunately, this guy moves in to watch the alley that leads to the exit.

This one doesn't help, either.

So, Snake ends up waiting for a few turns. Not a big deal, but not very exciting, either.

Once the coast is clear, he hops up onto the second target, and we're in this hallway.

Roger: Well done. Where's Flemming, Teliko?

Solid Snake has apparently called in to HQ so that he could talk to Roger so that Roger could talk to Teliko, who is less than a metre away from Snake. Solid Snake is an rear end in a top hat.

Teliko: He should be on the first floor of the East Wing, if they haven't moved him. But getting the doors open might take some ingenuity.

And here comes Teliko to introduce the gimmick for the next neck of the journey.

Teliko: The doors are separate from their open/close devices.
Snake: Separate?
Teliko: Doors in each section work together with various terminals in the building. Stand in front of a terminal, and its corresponding door will open automatically. But leaving that spot will cause the door to close.

Remember how the last mission introduced key card cards that you need to open certain doors, and how that's a big pain in the rear end? Well, this next area is all about an even bigger one.

At least they're nice enough to include a shot of the terminal for this line, so you're not left wondering what they look like.

Snake: Then the one in the next room heads for the next terminal to get his partner in.

He's right. This terminal stuff doesn't add anything to the game, it just slows you down. It's only even challenging if you're trying to do a no-kills run.

Teliko: But this system prevents people from moving throughout BRC-026 unless there are two or more in the party. Even if Flemming were to escape capture somehow, the door system makes it impossible for him to leave the room alone. It's the ideal detention facility for prisoners.

She's got a point, but uh, this wasn't a prison. Why does a science lab need so many security features?

Snake: He's alone, right?
Teliko: That's true. Maybe he knows of some way to trick the system.

Ah well, I suppose we can ask about that after we finish this next part of the mis-

Oh, no, it's time for this instead.

Alice: Do you know what kind of story "The Pied Piper of Hamelin" is?

This is the third time someone's mentioned the Pied Piper in this mission. Even more evidence that Solid Snake simply does not pay attention to what's going on around him.

Teliko: Well, some lanky flutist relieves a rat-infested town of its rats, then goes off somewhere with a group of kids and disappears.

Teliko displays some very weird feelings for flutists here. She also doesn't mention the part where the villagers didn't pay the guy, which is why he led the children off.

Alice's portrait makes it look like she's being extremely lovely here.

Alice: On the night of June 26th, 1284 in the village of Hamelin, about 130 children vanished -- all at once.
Teliko: That really happened? What does that have to do with Snake?

Okay, thanks, good talk.

There's a very quick white flash at this point, and Snake seems to be pained.

Teliko: What's wrong, Snake?
Snake: I don't know. It's another headache.

Another flash, and the camera moves to show things from Snake's point of view.

???: Open your eyes.

Good thing no guards are looking through that open door at the moment.

Roger's voice calls Snake back to reality.

Roger: What happened, Snake?
Snake: Nothing... I'm fine. For a second... something in front of me...

Jesus Christ, Snake, that's Teliko.

Roger's not concerned with Snake's apparent hallucinating, so it's just back to the mission - next time! This one's a long one, folks.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

Why does a science lab need so many security features?
At least the floor isn't electrified and the air is poisonous gas.

Also, I don't remember the plot going so nuts so fast. All of this is coming in at maybe an hour's worth of gameplay if you're familiar with how to play the game?

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
It's real hard to take the evil corporation seriously when its name is BEAGLE.

"You can bet the house that BEAGLE is behind this."
Oh noooooo

Kase moch fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 22, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kase moch posted:

Oh noooooo

The security of our nation's slippers is at stake!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
oh my god is snake actually this hans dude hopped up on some crazy combat drugs that make you into solid snakes, like an actually successful genome soldier

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I love how the memory is specifically of someone saying "Hey, Hans Davis. I'm talking to you, the guy who is Hans Davis for sure!" That's how you economy of storytelling.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

oh my god is snake actually this hans dude hopped up on some crazy combat drugs that make you into solid snakes, like an actually successful genome soldier

Spoilers, but there's actually something like this in Phantom Pain.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Kase moch posted:

Oh noooooo

I'd like to think that BEAGLE was originally a pet medicine company that ended up in the illegal nuclear arms business by sheer accident.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cool Ghost posted:

I'd like to think that BEAGLE was originally a pet medicine company that ended up in the illegal nuclear arms business by sheer accident.

"Good news! I managed to secure our R&D funding for the next three quarters!"
"That's fantastic! How'd you do that?"
"... Yeah, that's the bad news... you're probably gonna want to sit down for this..."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

"Good news! I managed to secure our R&D funding for the next three quarters!"
"That's fantastic! How'd you do that?"
"... Yeah, that's the bad news... you're probably gonna want to sit down for this..."

"See, you know how we were discussing canine cancer treatment and brainstorming a better delivery system? Well I started thinking WAY outside the box."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

"See, you know how we were discussing canine cancer treatment and brainstorming a better delivery system? Well I started thinking WAY outside the box."

"We use MG Rex's railgun to deliver the dispenser into the upper atmosphere. Then the dog flu vaccine will be released into the atmosphere, ensuring complete global saturation."

"Okay, but we can't call it 'Metal Gear Rex'. That name's been taken."

"Metal Gear Spots, then?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Metal Gear Fluffnugget

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I just want to mention how insanely long that cutscene actually is - I was playing it in class last week and skipping the text (because I died in the warehouse) and even then it took about five minutes to get through the cutscene. It's ridiculous.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ace of Aces posted:

I just want to mention how insanely long that cutscene actually is - I was playing it in class last week and skipping the text (because I died in the warehouse) and even then it took about five minutes to get through the cutscene. It's ridiculous.

Gigantic cutscenes...in a Metal Gear game? Unbelievable!

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Compared to MGS, I think the cutscenes in this game feel longer because they're text only and they generally don't auto-scroll. With the voiced stuff, you can just listen and let it wash over you, but here you have to manually tap through everything. It also doesn't help that they're mostly static.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Sixteen: The Search for Flemming

Welcome back to Metal Gear Acid, where we currently find our heroes in this very exciting hallway. Your Cost/number of cards used carries over from the warehouse section, so you get the fun experience of immediately ending a turn a lot of times.

As established in the previous cutscene, you have to activate the terminals to open the doors and move further into the area. The first one is in this little room just to the left of the area entrance.

Most of these things end up on guards' patrol routes or at least in the guards' line of sight, which makes characters sitting ducks while they hold the door.

Tip: enemies can't see you if they're dead.

This mission is a lot harder to do a no-kills run on than the previous ones were. You need your characters to stay parked for long periods, so "being out of sight" generally isn't an option. Generally speaking, you're going to need to collect some M9 tranquiliser pistols from MGS2 packs, and you'll probably also want some Stun Grenades if you want to go non-lethal.

After getting his hands dirty, Snake moves over to the terminal and opens the door on the other side of Teliko.

This room also has a guard, who will move over to monitor the computer.

However, this also leaves his flank open, if you can get there quickly enough.

Teliko's in position, but unfortunately now I have to wait for the guard to get back in the firing line.

While Teliko's waiting, it brings us to the next very exciting part of this mission. See, Snake has to just stand here (or, technically, in front of the next locked door) while Teliko moves to the switch. Unfortunately, ending a turn doesn't eat up a lot of Cost, so the switch-holder generally ends up wasting two or three turns for each one the guards/runner gets.

Once the guard's back on the right side, Teliko blows him away.

Now the way forward is open.

Snake moves into the next hallway, turning right at the intersection.

I don't have to worry about the guard just yet (nor do I have a weapon on hand to use), so Snake's just moving over here.

And that opens the door for Teliko.

The room Snake's in is linked to the room on the other side of the hallway as far as visibility is concerned, even though I don't think there's any actual path directly from one to the other. :shrug:

Once Teliko moves away from her computer panel, the door closes in front of her.

So Snake has to move to the second switch in his room, and open it back up.

The guards all carry Body Armor cards, which have a 50% chance of activating and blocking the first 50 points of damage from your attacks. This is a different thing than the kind of armour on the patrol bots, so the anti-armour property can't negate it. The best way to deal with this is generally just being able to throw excess damage at your target, though you could also use certain cards that destroy equipment, if that's how you feel.

The XM8 has very high damage output.

Having one character hold the door while the other passes through is a staple of co-op game design. Unfortunately, it's not a staple because it's interesting or skill-intensive, but because it's an easy situation where you absolutely need two people to get past the obstacle. Gotta justify having that second playable character somehow.

Again, Snake slips through and turns right.

And, again, he stops to open the door behind him for Teliko.

The door at the far end of the hallway is labelled "exit" but it's not actually useful right now.

Instead, the immediate destination is this big hangar.

There are a couple of guards in here, just sort of milling around, not watching the doors or anything. They took an early retirement.

And the second one dropped an MGS2 pack. :toot:

Unlike MGS1 packs, I'm willing to put in a bit of effort to collect MGS2 packs, since there are a lot of useful cards in them that I can use to improve my deck right away. I also thought I was going to get a bad rank on this mission.

Up the stairs and around the second level, there's another area transition.

And now we find ourselves in another very exciting hallway. This really isn't one of the best missions in the game.

Further on down the hall, there's... another transition point. In addition to having a very slow gimmick, this map is loving enormous.

Snake takes out the guard on one side.

This guy's a little harder to get a drop on.

A quick knock takes care of that.

Now the next terminal is also visible on the map. I have no clue why so many of the guards in this game face walls by default.

Snake dips into this, uh, closet to grab an MGS2 pack while Teliko opens the door.

Shouldn't have been staring at the walls, dipshit.

The guards are dead, so nothing else happens while Snake and Teliko "sneak" down the hallway to the last room of this sub-area. The guard in this one is watching the approach around the corner, so I can't just storm around without triggering an alert.

Teliko, however, has a solution for that. The Stealth card makes the character that equips it invisible for 20 Cost, or until they're attacked. Enemies will never attack an invisible character directly, though.

This does not go both ways.

The U-shaped room has two MGS2 packs inside.

Once I've grabbed them, there's nothing else to do here, so it's time to move on to...

...Another hangar. :sigh:

Here's the deal: there's a guard here. I don't believe guards on the lower level can see Snake or Teliko if they're up above, but I didn't really sit around to map it out.

Teliko leads the "charge" forward because she's still invisible. The guards are too far away from the catwalk to hit straight away, but the Stealth will keep her safe while she sneaks up on them.

This guy gets close to the stairs at the same time Teliko moves up the side, so he dies.

At the same time, Snake wipes out the guard in the first room.

And then Teliko pops the second guard in her room.

Now it's just a leisurely stroll through this hallway and a quick detour to grab the MGS2 packs the guard was protecting earlier.

The path leads to another hallway. On one end is a little room locked with a level 2 card, so we can't get in there right now. It's clearly empty, though, so who gives a poo poo?

On the other side is this ladder room.

The game doesn't indicate is very well, but the ladder is actually the goal here. We went through this whole map just so Snake could climb into a vent.

Teliko: You can count on me. But Snake, please be careful. If something happens, I'm right behind you.
Roger: Hurry up, Snake! There's no time! Crawl through the air duct to Flemming's room.

And so, Snake goes off, hopefully to finally meet Flemming...

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Oh man. I just know there's gonna be some weirdness here.

I love the idea of this game. I've picked it up a few times over the years and always end up setting it back down. I just love the concept so much.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
Climbing a ladder to get into an air vent to go talk to someone being held prisoner. Now where have I heard that one before?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ZevGun posted:

Climbing a ladder to get into an air vent to go talk to someone being held prisoner. Now where have I heard that one before?

:golfclap:

excellent point

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

How did Snake know how to climb that ladder?!

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Roger told him in the tutorial.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Seventeen: Flemming

We're picking up right where we left off last time, with Snake climbing a ladder to a vent to get to Flemming's room. As ZevGun pointed out in the thread, this looks a lot like the sequence in MGS1 where Snake crawls through a similar vent to get into the DARPA chief's cell.

As soon as Snake's in the vent, Roger's on the line.

Roger: It looks like he's being held directly below you.

In another touch that evokes Metal Gear Solid, this vent-crawling sequence takes place in Snake's first-person perspective.

And here he is, the pride of the Lobito Physics and Chemistry Lab himself, Dr. Flemming.

Snake gets a little closer, but for some reason Flemming doesn't turn around.

Oh, he's being mysterious.

Snake: What?

Finally, the mystery man turns around, and it's...

Snake: Gary! Did you already...
Flemming: What? Kill Flemming? Of course not.

Flemming: Welcome back, Hans.

Suddenly, Snake's headache flares up again.

Snake: Anngh! My head... Gungh!

Just like with Teliko earlier, he can't see straight.

The scene cuts away to this viewing area. The Ritual of Conjuration was previously mentioned in passing by Gary. It initially seems unimportant, but we're going to hear a lot more about it going forward.

And here's Hans, AKA Solid Snake with heavy eyeshadow.

Hans: ...Which kid are you betting on, Flemming?

Here we get an actual shot of Hans.

Hans: 104? He has such a delicate frame. I don't see a potential Neoteny in 104. Not at all.

And, after he gets cryptic, there's that same shot again but without dialogue boxes covering anything up. Two smug assholes watching... something.

Now, back to BRC-026.

Snake :...in this lab...

Roger: ...Sna...! ...Snak...Gi...so...! It's no good...wave...disturba...nake! Com...in...Snake!

Apparently, the radio's out.

I guess that means it's just Snake and Flemming for this one.

Snake: But, Gary... You stole the ACUA data...
Flemming: Stole ACUA? We're the owners. You and I are the creators. I was just putting on an act in front of Roger a little while ago with that speech.
Snake: An act? For what?

I like Snake. He's just so great at drawing conclusions.

Flemming: I wasn't sure if you'd really lost your memory, or why it happened. Or if you were putting on an act yourself. I just couldn't tell, so I had to test you. I threw all kinds of hints out there for you.
Snake: Gary, so you're...
Flemming: I guess you still haven't fully regained your memory. I'm William Flemming. And you...

Well, the UI beat him to this one.

It didn't give this one up, though.

Flemming: BEAGLE executive, and head of this laboratory.
Snake: BEAGLE executive?
Flemming: BEAGLE is one of the world's largest financial conglomerates. Big business, Hans.

Solid Snake should probably not be in charge of one of the world's largest financial conglomerates. He probably shouldn't be in charge of a science lab, either, honestly.

Flemming: Providing much-needed aid and support to developing countries worldwide.

Flemming: In reality, it's an enormous munitions company established to appease profit-hungry bigwigs in the U.S. government and financial circles.

Metal Gear as a series has always been concerned with this kind of military-industrial complex stuff. As far back as Metal Gear 2, there are minor plot points critiquing the relation of government and industry to war. In the main series, this is embodied by Big Boss, Solid Snake's most personal villain and antithesis. The fact that these themes and ideas are also baked into Metal Gear Acid is another part of what makes it a good spin-off.

Flemming: You can bet your potatoes that where there's a regional conflict, BEAGLE will be there. On the scene to provide humanitarian aid to refugees via transport planes chock full of firearms and ammo. At times they even fabricate crises.

Another recurring thing, the same sort of concept underlies the idea of the war economy in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Flemming: All sorts of tragedies were fabricated in order for BEAGLE to profit immensely off of the longstanding Moloni conflict. Those tragedies led to justification for military action, combat expansion, and a hefty increase in defense spending. Conflicts provide excellent business opportunities.
Flemming: So, instead of ammunition, you and I created a new type of weapon, right here in this lab. Doesn't any of this ring a bell?

Flemming: Exactly. A weapon tens of thousands of times more profitable than ammunition.

Knowing Snake, probably out for a pack of smokes.

Flemming: You just vanished. What the hell happened to you? I mean, did you get amnesia in some accident?
Flemming: When I first caught a glimpse of you in the security camera, it made me shudder. I thought, "The heroic image he won as Solid Snake is a thing of the past."

The game hints pretty heavily that Snake is Hans up to this point, but I like that Snake isn't just some guy Hans made up, it was his actual job before he became a BEAGLE executive.

Flemming: "Why is he marching around like a soldier again? What could be his underlying motive?" I couldn't figure it out.
Flemming: BEAGLE thought that Solid Snake, the quintessential soldier, would be an ideal role model for the children. And you had aged, so you were itching to find someone to follow in your footsteps.

Flemming: That was years ago.
Snake: If that's true, then why do I only remember being Snake all these years?

Good question, Snake.

Flemming: You must have created false memories once you returned to being Snake, in an attempt to forget you were ever Hans Davis to begin with.

It's not really a compelling answer, is it?

I like the idea that Teliko's been standing on the other side of that vent for about ten minutes now, just waiting.

Flemming: The execs at BEAGLE like to call him "Mind Bender" or "Puppet Master." But the only two people familiar with the term Neoteny were you and I, Hans. No one else.

If you're not familiar with it yourself, "neoteny" is a term unsed in biology to refer to adult organisms retaining juvenile characteristics. One of the most common examples is adult dogs looking and playing like puppies. But capital-N Neoteny doesn't mean that, unless the writers of Metal Gear Acid have some real ideas about children.

Flemming: What else can you remember?

Snake: The two of us were watching.
Flemming: That's definitely a memory of the Ritual of Conjuration we held here.

Uh oh.

Flemming: Just a little more time, and you should be able to remember everything. You're Hans Davis. You were conducting research here, with me.
Hans: No! Come on!

This line here is the most memorable part of Metal Gear Acid to me. A great fourth-wall break.

Guess he's feeling better.

Flemming: When your memory recovers, you'll know everything.

Flemming: You won the bet. I bet on No. 104. But the survivor, and Neoteny was... your pick: No. 16.

There's no line that bridges "you'll know everything" and this line about the bet, so it's kind of a non-sequitur.

Flemming: Just as you and I had imagined.

Doesn't really sound like you imagined it, actually, unless you like losing bets.

Flemming: When the Name-Knowers were dosed up with ACUA, No. 16 gained control over them all.
Snake: Name-Knowers?

Flemming: I'm being threatened. My daughter, Constance, has been taken hostage. No. 16 seeks revenge -- on us. It's a hijack.

And so, these two separate threads begin to converge.

Flemming: Yes. No. 16 contacts me from time to time, boasting. The pilot and copilot have been killed, and numbers carved into their corpses. Can't you see what's going on?

Flemming: Saying, "I'll never let you forget. You're Hans!"

Seems like 16 could have been a little more direct about that.

Flemming: It's No. 16's way of lashing out at you, the man who lost his memory and vanished from the lab. No. 16 wants you to recall his anger. To feel it. Those numbers spell out a message of bitterness from No. 16, to you, Hans.

Okay, but why numbers? Why not "eat poo poo in Hell, Hans, love No. 16."?

Flemming: Roger and the others can't hear us right now, Hans. Put on your Snake routine again, just for a while, and stall the operation.
Snake: I...
Flemming: While you're trading blows with the Leone Unit, I'll take care of everything. We'll be fine. I've got an idea. And make sure to feign ignorance of Flight 326.

Does Snake even listen to people when they talk?

Flemming: They all lost their names and parents when they were brought to this island.

If you were wondering, this confirms that the numbered people were the same children that died in the warehouse.

Flemming: Even if you can't remember everything, it doesn't change the fact that you and I created No. 16.

I thought those kids were kidnapped. :v:

Flemming: You're my mentor, whom I have the utmost respect for... Hans Davis. And to Neoteny and those dead children, you're their beloved Solid Snake -- the legendary mercenary.

Teliko status: still waitin'.

Back on this one again, huh? I think it's about time to wrap up here, then.

Flemming: I can't give you the research data until you're back to your old self. I'll hold on to it for now.

Flemming: That's right. It's protected by your one-of-a-kind cryptosystem, which can't be hacked by even the most powerful of supercomputers.

What kind of scientist was Hans, anyway? And where did Snake supposedly learn to be one?

Flemming: But, since you designed it, I'm sure you could break into Pythagoras as soon as your memory comes back. It's a new weapon -- revolutionary in global proportions. You and I brought it into this world.

Flemming's holding up a mini-disc, by the way, which apparently contains the Pythagoras data.

But then, he puts it away.

Flemming: I don't think so. As long as you're "Solid Snake," I won't give it to you. I'm going now. In order to get my daughter back from No. 16, I'll just have to keep following the kid's orders. But there's still a glimpse of hope. Something that only I know about.

Flemming: That's why I have to go to FAR, and prepare for a showdown. You'll eventually go back to FAR as well.

I mean, unless he finally figures out that he can just punch you in the face and take the disc.

Flemming: It's your throne room in a sense, Hans.

Uh, if it were Hans's throne room, it'd be called HTR. :colbert:

Desperately trying to figure out what's going on, Snake stands dumbfounded for a second.

Meanwhile, Teliko has finally realised that she could have just followed Snake through the vent, and she takes a potshot at Flemming.

Flemming: Aw!

He drops the disc.

Flemming ran away while he was off-camera, giving Snake a chance to grab the disc.

Flemming: Y-You! Hm...So they...

What? Yeah, okay, bye.

As Gary leaves the room, Teliko enters. What does she have to say? Find out next time, on Metal Gear Acid!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Someone's being gaslighted here, and I'm not sure if it's me, Snake or both of us. :psyduck:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

W.T. Fits posted:

Someone's being gaslighted here, and I'm not sure if it's me, Snake or both of us. :psyduck:

It's Metal Gear. It's both, as well as several more people we do not know about yet.

The fourth wall is down, nothing will protect us. Great job, Hans.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I thought the term The Neoteny had come up before, but it was just this dog at Alice.

quote:

Tired of Snake's repeated insults, Alice leaves in a strop. For the record, I don't know exactly how old Alice is supposed to be, but I would say early teens or so. She's carrying a doll in her radio portrait, but I think that's more neotenous than showing her being 5 years old.

Who knew Cool Ghost was good at adopting new vocabulary words?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ok... so is Snake faking being Hans or is Hans faking being Snake.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Kibayasu posted:

If it were Ocelot I'd know the answer (Ocelot brainwashing himself into faking Snake brainwashed into faking Hans faking Snake) but with it being Hans and Snake, I have no idea who's faking who!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I'm going to guess "Hans and Snake are, in fact, different people, possibly clones, but there's Telepathic Bullshit going on."

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

This is so painfully a metal gear game. Its great.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

We've established "evil psychic children", I don't think "evil psychic children inserting false memories and/or loving with real ones" is much of a stretch.

Or maybe Hans from back then is Big Boss and this Snake is still a BB clone and one of the test subject kids.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Im just hoping this is an alt universe where snake just flipped out and became evil like his dear old dad

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hans is Liquid, in this timeline he got the same genes as Snake but still talks in a British accent. Sadly the game's not voiced so nobody can tell them apart.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
The Hans name change is great. It really catches you off guard the first time and they don't overplay the gag.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Eighteen: Still Talkin'

Following the extended conversation between Snake and Gary/Flemming, which only ended after shots were fired, Teliko enters the room.

So now it's time for the conversation to continue.

Snake: I'm fine. But Teliko... He's Flemming. Gary is Flemming.

Flemming led us on this whole chase, starting right from the offices and leading all the way here, so that he could talk to Snake without Roger being able to listen in. And his whole plan was ruined by someone being physically present.

Teliko: I tried to hit him in the knees so he couldn't run. But it didn't work.

I am unclear on why she didn't just shoot him in the chest.

But that's not particularly important.

We have these now.

Teliko: So you got it.

You know what? Snake was sent in to get Pythagoras, and now he has Pythagoras. That's mission accomplished. Flemming, Leone, ACUA, none of that poo poo matters. Time to go home. :toot:

Snake: But it's still encoded. We can't crack it unless we hunt down Flemming.

Doesn't sound like a Snake problem to me. Hijackers asked for Pythagoras, they didn't ask for it cracked.

Snake: No!
Teliko: So what was he talking about, then? All that about your "Ritual of Conjuration" memories...
Snake: Don't be deceived, Teliko!

Again, the reason Snake is here in BRC-026 is because Flemming was trying to keep the Snake/Hans news from the command staff. And again, Teliko really threw a spanner in the works.

Teliko: Hand me the disk, Snake. Or Hans, is it?
Snake: Teliko!
Teliko: Let me hold onto the disk. I can't let you have it now that you're under suspicion. Hand it over, Snake.

He has no reason not to, frankly. What the gently caress is Solid Snake gonna do with encrypted Metal Gear plans?

Teliko: Time's run out completely, and enemy soldiers have started to mass.
Snake: You want to leave now? But without Flemming...
Teliko: We can't crack the code? There's no such thing as an uncrackable code, Snake. We've got the disk, so we can extract the data.

Teliko making a lot of good points here. There is really, truly, no reason for these two to stick around.

Teliko: It's a "Card LV. 2." Compliments of one of Leone's goons.

Wonderful. Another loving card card.

I feel the same way, Hans.

Teliko: Anyway, let's get out of here. If you're killed, it won't make a difference who you are -- Snake, Hans, or Goldilocks. Death doesn't discriminate.
Snake: Got it.

Now that the plot's cleared up, the radio lines are open again.

Snake: Roger.
Roger: Good. Seems like the Codecs are working again.
Teliko: We got the data, Roger.

No, the other data we came here for.

Teliko: Affirmative.
Roger: Only Pythagoras? What about Flemming?
Teliko: You'll never believe it, Colonel.

The enemy soldiers are just off-screen, also talking about data.

Roger: Right. We can talk later. Just get out of there!
Alice: I see lots of soldiers. They're everywhere! ...The storehouse. Go back to the storehouse in the south. Take any other way to leave BRC-026 and you'll be killed.

She makes a strong case.

Alice: Soldiers are waiting en masse.
Roger: Snake. Snake!
Snake: ...Yeah.
Roger: What is it? Another headache?
Snake: No...
Roger: Were you listening, Snake? Leave BRC, and head for the storehouse.
Snake: ...Right.

And that's another one in the books! :toot:

I was convinced, as I murdered my way through the level and ran out of cards again and again, that I was going to get a bad rank n the mission. But nope, that's an S.

Fuckload of gathered cards on this one, too. There's not really anything interesting that has to be explained right now, so I'll spare you the rest of the screenshots.

And instead, just jump to complaining about how the clear bonuses are still MGS1 pack cards.

The mission may finally be over, but the cutscenes keep rollin'. We haven't seen Charles since Snake was running around in the woods.

Roger: Oh. It's you.
Charles: Colonel, I have an update, and a few things I need to ask you, sir.
Roger: Let's hear it.

Charles: Apparently they actually symbolize letters -- sequenced in alphabetical order.

It's no use trying to impress anyone at this point, Alice.

Charles: You must be Alice Hazel.
Alice: Yes. The first numbers were "14" and "1", then an "11" was found. The stewardess who was just killed had a "5" on her chest. They say the next person to be killed will probably be marked with a "19."

If the next person killed will have a 19, why is she putting it in the front of the list?

Alice: We're being shown a numerical sequence.
Roger: What does it mean?

Alice: A string of numbers appeared on the terminal -- 19141115.

If you go back to the shot of the terminal when Snake logged on:

You can't actually see the numbers. Snake's reaction is all we get, so we have to take Alice's word here.

Alice: They're in alphabetical order.

They're not, but what she really means is that each number refers to a letter's placement in the English alphabet. I have no idea what this said in Japanese.

Roger: Order? I don't see it.
Alice: The nineteenth letter of the alphabet is "S", and fifth "E..."

Regular E, without the ellipsis, has been replaced.

Alice: Lining them up in order, 19141115, spells SNAKE...

Again with that 19 at the start. If you go in body order, we have N-A-K-E. Maybe the next one will be D, maybe the hijackers are asking for nudes. You don't know, Alice.

Alice: It would be naive to call this a code. Nothing was hidden. The goal here was to make a statement. Someone left Snake a message.

Flemming said the same thing in BRC-026.

Charles: Our team at headquarters suspects this crime was committed by someone holding a grudge against Snake. Which leads to my first question. Why was Snake assigned to this mission, which is exactly what the hijacker seemed to want?
Roger: ...What are you getting at?
Charles: And why were you so eager to take part in this mission, Colonel?

The idea that Roger was eager to participate is news to me.

And, apparently, to Roger.

Charles: You haven't been involved with an actual combat mission in over ten years, sir. Why the sudden change of heart? You were all over this mission before I even had a chance to volunteer. To be honest, I was surprised at how quickly you jumped on it.
Roger: Are you doubting my intentions?
Charles: Would you be kind enough to answer the questions?
Roger: I refuse.

Here's a question: who's this douchebag?

Compared to the previous update's infodump, this one's a real mess. With Snake and Hans, and even ACUA, the game has at least hinted at what we were being told before anyone announced it. Here, though, we've got some guy who was shifty for half a dozen lines in the intro, then Alice's code thing, and now suspicion on Roger. It's jumping around all over the place, introducing a bunch of stuff without any pause. On top of all that, we still haven't been back to the Intermission since BRC-026 started - this one mission just keeps dumping plot point after plot point on us.

Charles: You were in charge of selecting a suitable agent for this mission. Who recommended Solid Snake to you, sir?

This one's actually reasonable. Roger mentioned Roy Campbell in the intro. He didn't specifically say that Roy recommended Snake, just that he "spoke highly" of him. Why Snake, a retired Green Beret, is on a CIA mission, has been an open question all along.

Roger, apparently, doesn't have a good answer.

Little Miss Cryptography can't crack this code, either.

Charles: There's a very strong possibility that the hijacker, or someone closely connected to the crime, gave you that recommendation, Colonel.
Roger: ...
Charles: Colonel, this is a very serious situation.

Apparently it's not just Charlie who doesn't like Roger.

Charles: What if "Snake" isn't the same Snake that you know, Colonel?
Roger: Are you saying he's someone else?

This is the part of the game where we find out that Metal Gear Solid actually is canon to the series and Roger just wasn't listening to the part of Roy's stories where Solid Snake died.

Charles: I'm saying that, even if he is Snake, losing his sanity could make him into a different person.

Kind of a strange idea to bring up, Chuck. Where'd ya get it?

Alice: The human mind is very fragile. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Snake had lost his mind -- after all the intense combat stress he's endured.

This is what he gets for being such a shithead to her all the time, frankly.

Charles: Yes?
Roger: No...never mind.
Charles: ...Just make sure to report back anything strange in his actions or words from now on.
Roger: So you expect me to keep a suspicious eye on Snake?
Charles: Just ask yourself, Colonel. Can people who "trust others irrationally" get the job done right?

What's this, then?

Charles: As you know, Colonel, I've been suspicious of Lobito Physics and Chemistry Lab activities for some time. I suggested the possibility of nuclear arms development -- namely a Metal Gear project -- taking place there. I also proposed that Lobito is BEAGLE's jugular, and it needs to be exposed for what it really is.

Roger did mention that nuclear development or Metal Gear had been discussed re: Pythagoras. Guess it was ol' Chaz here who brought it up.

Charles: But high-ranking officials gave in to political pressure, and wouldn't even consider pursuing it. This mission is our first, and possibly last chance to expose BEAGLE to the world.
Roger: ...

Congratulations to Charles and the CIA on their very successful interrogation of Roger.

And congratulations to us on finally being done with this mission!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Teliko says Snake was her hero. Hans Davis used the Snake persona to be a hero to the children they were experimenting on. I've seen enough Metal Gear games to know where this one is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Teliko says Snake was her hero. Hans Davis used the Snake persona to be a hero to the children they were experimenting on. I've seen enough Metal Gear games to know where this one is going.

Extended monologues about meme theory?