Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Jenners are named after Bruce Jenner because they run fast, aren't they

makes sense once you realize there's mech based off the Jenner called the [Jesse] Owens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Jenners are named after Bruce Jenner because they run fast, aren't they

No, because they invented the space smallpox vaccine

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Eopia posted:

+++ is the maximum. Also the bonuses aren't randomized, there's a small set of variations you can get and there's only ever one +++ variation. Also, not all weapons have a +++, some of them max out at ++ variations.

Thanks. I got an AC2+++, which is +4 accuracy and +50% crit. As I understand it, accuracy only removes penalties to hit?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, what I'm hearing is "helm memory core DLC" and "clan mechs sequel," then ?

I'd love to see a sequel Clan campaign, my introduction to the BT setting was playing Mechwarrior 2 on my dad's computer and all the MW games since then have been from the Inner Sphere perspective.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Met a trebuchet, an orion, a thunderbolt, a manticore tank and an SRM carrier with my blackjack, vindicator, centurion and badhawk.

Every pilot injured, the blackjack got legged and arm'd and about the only thing working on the vindicator was the PPC.

Two skulls.

I was in a 1 skull mission earlier that managed to kill Dekkar and someone I had just hired while also leaving all 4 of their mech significantly damaged. The payday wasn't even close to worth it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

I was in a 1 skull mission earlier that managed to kill Dekkar and someone I had just hired while also leaving all 4 of their mech significantly damaged. The payday wasn't even close to worth it.

I think there's some code in the game making the AI prioritize Dekker. He never gets out of a mission uninjured, the headshots just keep rolling in.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
AIs prioritize like a player - the most killable mech gets focused. Dekkar is very survivable if you use him as a hit & run spotter and flanker.

The first death I had was actually Behemoth when an engagement went on a little too long and she ate a bad series of shots to the CT.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I like my Dragon, and until you hit heavies, the Shadowhawk is the right combo of speedy and beefy to tide you over.

What does your punchbot shadowhawk look like? I've got a spare one, but I am not sure I am building it sufficiently committed to that role.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I lost Medusa on his first outing, and Dekker later because I thought I bought Piloting 2 on him but actually did on another Merc so he just sat there in a Light one turn and got absolutely toasted :sweatdrop:

Glitch and Behemoth are still going strong though!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What are the best methods for killing enemy pilots via knockdown?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That’s not fairminded at all lol

Yep I know. It does work better as a review than the clotted rage-fart of the first one

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Taerkar posted:

I also still have both Glitch and Dekker, though Dekker's been wounded more often than not. #ScoutLyfe.

I got Dekker in Shadow Hawk as my main puncher. He is good at it :].

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Unzip and Attack posted:

Punching them over and over seems to work pretty well, at least if they're in a mech big enough to take a beating. Otherwise I guess shoot out the legs, side torsos, hit them with lots of missiles

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Shoot missiles into their side arcs. The end.

ADDED: Ideally +stab damage missiles, I guess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm feeling kind of bad because I haven't lost a MechWarrior, haven't lost a 'Mech, and I just completed Operation: Panzyr or whatever it's called. I'm pretty sure I haven't even lost a limb. Maybe once, but I don't think so. I hate to say it, but I do think the game is too easy so far if you're not just learning the ins and outs. I'm excited for some hard mode mods after my first playthrough.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm confused about salvage and selling. I put together my first salvaged mech, a Spider, and seemed like all I could do was scrap it for about 200k cbills or sell it for a little bit less than that. Is that correct? I didn't pay attention to the value of the salvaged piece but I'm pretty sure it was more than 200k. These seem like really low numbers for a full mech, even a little guy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm confused about salvage and selling. I put together my first salvaged mech, a Spider, and seemed like all I could do was scrap it for about 200k cbills or sell it for a little bit less than that. Is that correct? I didn't pay attention to the value of the salvaged piece but I'm pretty sure it was more than 200k. These seem like really low numbers for a full mech, even a little guy.

Like most games, things sell for well below their stated value. You'll generally pay more for them if you buy them as well. Your reputation does factor into how much your cost is during purchasing, and I think maybe when selling?

So yeah, expect the numbers not to match up. If you get a bunch of salvage the summary screen will tell you you just made like 7m Cbills. In reality, not even close.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what is +stab and what is the relationship of the pilot +stats to the to-hit numbers you see when ordering attacks? that part of the interface is a little opaque.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

AIs prioritize like a player - the most killable mech gets focused.

I focus on whatever looks the scariest

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think I know what performance changes NVidia made in their driver. When I start of the game now my fan goes into overdrive, sounds like a jet engine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Impermanent posted:

what is +stab and what is the relationship of the pilot +stats to the to-hit numbers you see when ordering attacks? that part of the interface is a little opaque.

+stab is additionally stability. I think +stab dmg is generally how you see an item that will do additional stability damage. The specific pilot stat that increases your to-hit chance (Gunnery for ranged, Pilot for melee) increases your baseline to-hit by the stated amount. There's some fanciness that goes on there. Isildur had a post in this thread right around release that went into detail.

Lasers have -1 difficulty to hit, which works out to 10%. Some fancy items also have accuracy bonuses that are similar.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a good guide that straight up tells me what good builds are? I can't wrap my head around this stuff at a pace that I can keep up with the difficulty. I'm still very early on, only having done the first major story mission, but right now my picks for the contracts are 2 "star" ones that either pits me against 3 medium body-blocking medium assault guys with 4 light sniper guys as reinforcements or... me against 3 medium body-blocking medium assault guys with 4 light sniper guys and I just can't do a drat thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cynic Jester posted:

Going max tactics means your PPCs and LRMs have lower minimum range, which makes for hilarious responses to light flankers sometime. Plus combining PPCs and LRMs isn't that bad of a combo, just make sure the guy has both gunnery abilities so you can toss LRMs at dudes to strip defenses while PPCing targets that are low defense,

On the first mission I just did switching to PPC/LRM I headshot an Orion V with a Called Shot PPC so I guess... Tactics Good. Thanks!

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I noticed that the AI seems to get alot smarter based on the faction you fight - ie when you are fighting standing armies and not some Periphery pirate trash.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Is there a good guide that straight up tells me what good builds are? I can't wrap my head around this stuff at a pace that I can keep up with the difficulty. I'm still very early on, only having done the first major story mission, but right now my picks for the contracts are 2 "star" ones that either pits me against 3 medium body-blocking medium assault guys with 4 light sniper guys as reinforcements or... me against 3 medium body-blocking medium assault guys with 4 light sniper guys and I just can't do a drat thing.

I haven't seen any and I don't have the time to type out my thoughts, but if you are struggling with missions remember that you can navigate to any system (well, you may be limited that early in the story but you can still move) to get access to other missions.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Do you have to always kill enemy pilots? Or is there a way to make them eject?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
one of the big things to get used to in this game that might be hard to get if you haven't played games like it is the concept of volume of fire. You're frequently going to be outgunnd and outtonned. Try to engage the enemy in such a way that you encircle a side of their force, flanking them and allowing your mechs easy access to being able to force down one of their mechs. Ideally, you're never fighting all of the enemy force at the same time. Use mountain ranges, valleys and hills to reduce the amount of your force that they can engage with at once and don't be afraid to disengage from what looks like a bad position if you can see yourself becoming encircled. Spending a turn or two sprinting away into a better position can change your whole scenario. Engaging the enemy one at a time, and trying to hit them from the same side (or splitting attention between a side and their much-less-armored backside) will allow you to take mechs down.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you experiment with different loadouts? It takes a week to install 1 lrm10. When I want to install more lrm's, ammo, etc, it takes a month to do it.. to an empty mech!

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong

Loren posted:

So I was on the Argo moon mission and was doing fine until the very end (unfortunate enemy spawns right on top of my light mech and the boss mech killed my player Character)
Is it meant to be impossible without refits on all the mechs? I get the impression from posts that the Argo moon mission is kind of a skill gate.
I just reloaded the auto save and I'm gonna try it again with my knowledge of the dumb spawns in mind.

Not sure exactly how much refitting you necessarily need. I only refit my Blackjack to AC5 + LL and my SHD, Vindicator, and Spider were all stock.

All I took was getting my front opened up on the spider and my Blackjack got punched in the head by the Enemy Heavy, but overall as long as you check your sight lines and take the long way round to get the turret gens it wasn't too bad.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

How do you experiment with different loadouts? It takes a week to install 1 lrm10. When I want to install more lrm's, ammo, etc, it takes a month to do it.. to an empty mech!

progress the story until you can unlock more mech tech points.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Hop into skirmish mode. I think there's the ability to customize mechs, although I haven't tried it. I really do hope they add a "simulator" mode in the Mech Lab so you can test things out.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Argo Moon mission was quite easy for me. Maybe because I had a panther with LLas & PPC. What a toasty mech... Anyways, PPC's & AC5's shred enemies to pieces. Haven't gotten around to learn to use missiles yet. Maybe my centurion will be good if I ever get it refitted...

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Someone earlier mentioned targeting carrier vehicles as a priority? I have an addendum: if you (don't) see a Demolisher, and it gets the drop on you, curl up into a ball and cry.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Probably a stupid question, I have completed my first merc contract, when I'm accepting a new contract, how do I know on which planet it is (unless there's travel fees paid)?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Virulence posted:

My very first one of these when I was still in the Leopard and only had light + medium mechs was a loving King Crab of all things.

Go for the knees!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Angry Lobster posted:

Probably a stupid question, I have completed my first merc contract, when I'm accepting a new contract, how do I know on which planet it is (unless there's travel fees paid)?

If they don't pay travel fees it means it's on the same planet as you're at.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm feeling kind of bad because I haven't lost a MechWarrior, haven't lost a 'Mech, and I just completed Operation: Panzyr or whatever it's called. I'm pretty sure I haven't even lost a limb. Maybe once, but I don't think so. I hate to say it, but I do think the game is too easy so far if you're not just learning the ins and outs. I'm excited for some hard mode mods after my first playthrough.

Won't claim I'm all that far into the game (haven't actually gone on the mission that will get me control of the Argo yet, though it's an option for me to do right now) but I have had the same experience--the only huge repair bills I've had came from overheating damage.

That said I was playing XCOM 2 on Commander Ironman without problems, and I'm playing BATTLETECH in the much the same cautious, set-up-ambushes-all-the-time (yet hit hard and fast when appropriate) manner that I'd play XCOM.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Angry Lobster posted:

You only see contracts that a) are for the planet you are currently on or b) will pay for you to travel there. If you travel somewhere else on your own dime, when you get there you'll see a different set of local contracts but (probably) the same travel contracts (plus your storyline missions ofc, but they're all "travel contracts" so...).

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

A fully spec tac pilot in a MG equipped Firestarter is a headcapping monster. Dekker is death incarnate. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone have a good Orion build? Mine seems to suck even compared to my other heavies.