Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Paladinus posted:

In any case, legally the boy is still alive.

Legally the doctors should be doing exactly what they are doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Legal Schmegal it's an affront to God's will

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kazak posted:

Legal Schmegal it's an affront to God's will

God can fix the baby if He wants. Nobody's stopping Him.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
He's just a little sick, guys, God will take care of him just have some faith.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

In some ways I don't really see it as his fault. He's young, grieving and hugely in denial about what's happening and he's been utterly pounced on by raving zealots. From my understanding, that was done on the "legal advice" of a man called Pavel Stroilov, who isn't even a lawyer. A lot of this poo poo wouldn't have happened had the vultures not swooped in.

this. he is a dumb kid who had a kid young and this awful poo poo happened. he got surrounded by "prolife" evangelical assholes who are using this case to push their various insane bullshit and now they have twisted his grief stricken mind inside out.

Facebook Aunt posted:

They can still do that, just not with the respirator. They aren't going to inject him with poison, just take away the machine that is forcing him to breathe. He's still free to breathe by himself for as long as he wants. Long term use of a respirator is really unhealthy and leads to muscle atrophy and further disability. How long will he be able to breathe on his own? No one knows. Could be minutes, could be years.

Taking away the machines also allows his parents to hold him and care for him without tubes and awful machines getting in the way. They may even be able to take him home.

as someone who has been on a Medical ventilator a couple times through there life. its awful. in my opinion, its not a life worth living.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Life is precious; as Mother Teresa believed, suffering is just a part of life and it is better to suffer eternally than die.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
mother teresa did and believed in some hosed up poo poo

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i dont want THE GOVERNMENT having power over LIFE OR DEATH *is ardent supporter of the death penalty*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jose Mengelez posted:

i dont want THE GOVERNMENT having power over LIFE OR DEATH *is ardent supporter of the death penalty*

Does the father support death penalty? I hope he changes his mind after this thing is over.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Can't the medical industry just put their effort towards the ability to eventually grow a clone in a vat? That way, this malformed kid can get a new brain, and I can graft an extra butthole onto my chest. That way, when people tell me to "go gently caress myself", I can lift up my shirt, crouch up and show them I'm following through.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rad-daddio posted:

Can't the medical industry just put their effort towards the ability to eventually grow a clone in a vat? That way, this malformed kid can get a new brain, and I can graft an extra butthole onto my chest. That way, when people tell me to "go gently caress myself", I can lift up my shirt, crouch up and show them I'm following through.

Do you already have an extra penis on your hand?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Paladinus posted:

In any case, legally the boy is still alive.

On the other hand I believe that the law of the United Kingdom overrides that of GBS post.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/brain-nerves-and-spinal-cord/brain-stem-death#introduction

A troubling precedent.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

turn off the TV posted:

On the other hand I believe that the law of the United Kingdom overrides that of GBS post.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/brain-nerves-and-spinal-cord/brain-stem-death#introduction

A troubling precedent.

So the hospital agreed to arrange palliative care for a dead person? Was the child pronounced dead officially in any way?

Again, I'm far from being an expert on human brain, but isn't brain stem of this child is still intact (partially functioning?), and that's why he's still considered to be alive?

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 26, 2018

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Paladinus posted:

Do you already have an extra penis on your hand?

Well, yes but it's just my usual single penis. The doctors had to graft it to my wrist to keep it alive while they rebuild my pelvis and taint. I was involved in a complicated and painful accident that involved:

1. an anvil
2. 65 feet of galvanized chain
3. a snowmobile
4. a bowling ball
5. a low dollar knock off katana blade
6. a leaf spring from a 1991 Chevy S-10

The docs say I should make a full recovery, but I'll have to carry a card to show where the metal plates are if I ever try to fly again. Although, once DHS got involved after the accident, I'm pretty sure I ended up on the no fly list.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rad-daddio posted:

Well, yes but it's just my usual single penis. The doctors had to graft it to my wrist to keep it alive while they rebuild my pelvis and taint. I was involved in a complicated and painful accident that involved:

1. an anvil
2. 65 feet of galvanized chain
3. a snowmobile
4. a bowling ball
5. a low dollar knock off katana blade
6. a leaf spring from a 1991 Chevy S-10

The docs say I should make a full recovery, but I'll have to carry a card to show where the metal plates are if I ever try to fly again. Although, once DHS got involved after the accident, I'm pretty sure I ended up on the no fly list.

You picked a fight with John McAffee.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You picked a fight with John McAffee.

to be fair, he was sleeping with four girls at once. I should've known better than to disturb him.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

Well, yes but it's just my usual single penis. The doctors had to graft it to my wrist
thats gotta be the single most effective time saver ive ever read

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Paladinus posted:

So the hospital agreed to arrange palliative care for a dead person?

Letting his body die is palliative care.

Paladinus posted:

Was the child pronounced dead officially in any way?

Sort of, back in February.

Criteria A:

Criteria B:

Criteria C:

and the ultimate ruling:

Paladinus posted:

Again, I'm far from being an expert on human brain, but isn't brain stem of this child is still intact (partially functioning?), and that's why he's still considered to be alive?

AFAIK parts of the brainstem can be intact but nonfunctional. His heart is continuing to beat, but he can't breathe on his own. That and the idea that some kind of cure will be discovered are probably the objections that his parents are using to keep his case in the courts.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

muy bien

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paladinus posted:

Does the father support death penalty? I hope he changes his mind after this thing is over.

i dont think the UK has a death penalty.

turn off the TV posted:

Sort of, back in February.

Criteria A:

Criteria B:

Criteria C:

and the ultimate ruling:

AFAIK parts of the brainstem can be intact but nonfunctional. His heart is continuing to beat, but he can't breathe on his own. That and the idea that some kind of cure will be discovered are probably the objections that his parents are using to keep his case in the courts.

so how much of his brain is left. i assume most of it but the stem are stew now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont think the UK has a death penalty.

so how much of his brain is left. i assume most of it but the stem are stew now.

From the sounds of https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/alder-hey-v-evans.pdf, at this point probably everything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They should get Mike Huckabee to diagnose him, he could tell Terry Schaivo was 100% fine.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
The chuds are waking up

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/989341679214841856
https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/989502298169655297
https://twitter.com/DLoesch/status/989484963291631616
https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/989508077207646209

Oh and a thundering moron who doesn't know whats going on but still had to stick his oar in the water anyway
https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/989448655026442240

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

happyhippy posted:

They should get Mike Huckabee to diagnose him, he could tell Terry Schaivo was 100% fine.

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/988789653556822018

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
someone buy alfie an SA account

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

tbf ben shapiro has good reason to be concerned about how we treat brain damaged toddlers

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hillary 2020 posted:

Oh and a thundering moron who doesn't know whats going on but still had to stick his oar in the water anyway
https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/989448655026442240

FU Piers. Not surprised he allies with a brain stem.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 26, 2018

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

lol they didn't even bother cropping out the adult hand holding the infant's arm in prime hug photo op position

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

FU Piers. Not surprised he allies with a brain stem.

Everyone wants him to die soon, too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I can't believe we're still having massive arguments over the treatment of inanimate objects

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

turn off the TV posted:

Thanks for an informative post. I'm still a bit lost on the whole alive/dead thing, though. It's hard for me to reconcile that care is administered to a body that is still alive, but the person is already dead. It says in 61 that 'Alfie can not sustain life on his own', so maybe it's some legal grey area, but I think it's reasonable to say the child is not officially dead and his death certificate won't be dated February of this year. Or will it?

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Will the child not grow? Again, don't know which parts of the brain he misses at this point.
In any case, legally the boy is still alive. If nothing else, his parents caring for him despite literally no chances of his condition improving is a good example of hope and unconditional love for people whose children suffer from less severe conditions. It's an antidote to eugenics, and other harmful theories that attempt to diminish lives of disabled people. It's extreme, but just like extreme pacifism that will probably never work globally, people who practice it give us something to strive for.

But he can't make an informed decision to "practice it". You're suggesting hijacking his very existence for what is effectively pro-life performance art. What you've put forward is tantamount to a deeply hosed up real life version of a utilitarian thought experiment along the lines of "torture this one child so that many might feel better about their own existence". It doesn't matter to the courts how many people might see the human pot plant and think "how life affirming!", it's not in the best interests of the child.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its not really torture if the child has no brain, brain death means there is no child, its a non child. They do the same thing (keeping autonomic function to an otherwise dead patient) to people who suffer massive head trauma in order to keep their organs fresh for transplantation sometimes, that dosn't raise eyebrows though because screaming pro-life harpies don't care about grownups even if said grownups had a life before their brains got turned to mush in a motorbike accident or whatnot.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

spog posted:

70% of his brain is dead.

There's not much you can do with that: maybe buy them an account here and enjoy a successful posting career?

Just keep him away from the mods.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

womb with a view posted:

lol they didn't even bother cropping out the adult hand holding the infant's arm in prime hug photo op position

At least someone advised them not to use a stapler.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wait so is this guy for or against unplugging him from life support to die when he dies?

Paladinus posted:

Thanks for an informative post. I'm still a bit lost on the whole alive/dead thing, though. It's hard for me to reconcile that care is administered to a body that is still alive, but the person is already dead. It says in 61 that 'Alfie can not sustain life on his own', so maybe it's some legal grey area, but I think it's reasonable to say the child is not officially dead and his death certificate won't be dated February of this year. Or will it?

It's palliative care, though. That's largely making death as painless as possible and not preventing death. In the court's ruling that is removing the ventilator in order to allow the body to die.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

Wait so is this guy for or against unplugging him from life support to die when he dies?

Huckabee is only for Huckabee, getting noticed and money.
Notice no rich fucks offering to pay for the kid's care.
Just PR points.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

happyhippy posted:

Huckabee is only for Huckabee, getting noticed and money.
Notice no rich fucks offering to pay for the kid's care.
Just PR points.

That and if they paid for the kid's care then they wouldn't get to drum up more outrage when his corpse stops breathing

They're circling this kid like vultures right now

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

turn off the TV posted:

It's palliative care, though. That's largely making death as painless as possible and not preventing death. In the court's ruling that is removing the ventilator in order to allow the body to die.

I understand what palliative care is, but if the child is already dead, there is no need to make his death painless. From that I can only conclude that the child is not officially dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

God's perfect little political football.

Soon to be named the successor to the Dalai Lama by the chinese gov't for sure.

• Locked thread