Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Liquid Communism posted:

Or I try to find a barebones manual transmission vehicle. :psyduck:

This is straight from Toyota Canada's website. If you want a manual pickup truck from them in TYOOL 2018:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

How is that reading between the lines? It's making up details that weren't in the story.
It's probably not far off the truth though. Note the charge is over trafficing counterfeit goods, and this is customs pushing the case.

Happens here, for example they'll crow about shutting down people making and selling "illegal, fake number plates", but what they're actually nabbing them for is unlicensed use of manufacturers' logos printed on the plate, while bigging it up like they're all about stopping cloned plates etc.

Customs and the tax man are a lot more eager to pursue anything they can find an excuse to than a private entity or law enforcement proper are.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

From the article "the discs were never sold."

Depending on the discs, they could have came with preinstalled product keys that once online they automatically activate. Dell/HP use to have those. We stopped getting those around the HP dc8200 series when they came with windows 8.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/25/pc_recycler_lundgren_gets_15_months_for_selling_windows_restore_discs/

quote:

PC reseller Eric Lundgren will spend up to 15 months behind bars after a US Court of Appeals upheld his sentence on charges of conspiracy to traffic in counterfeit goods and criminal copyright infringement.
A three-judge panel with the Eleventh Circuit this month ruled in favor of a southern Florida district court's 15-month term for Lundgren, denying the IT bod's appeal to have the sentence reduced.
Lundgren copped to the two charges in 2017 as part of a plea deal in the case over illicit Windows restore discs. He had originally faced a slate of six charges, including mail and wire fraud.

The case stems from a 2012 deal Lundgren, a PC recycler and e-waste activist, made with a Florida fella to provide 28,000 copies of Windows 7 and Windows XP operating system restore discs with the intent of bundling them with refurbished Dell PCs.

US Customs and Border Protection seized the shipment of CDs when it arrived from China, and accused Lundgren of counterfeiting. Robert Wolff, the Florida reseller on the receiving end of the recovery media, accepted a six-month stretch in the cooler after admitting he conspired to traffic in counterfeit goods.

The plan was to produce a big bunch of bog-standard reinstallation discs to give to people so that they could bring restored PCs to life, sparing the aging machines from landfill graves. That's good for the environment, right? Since these computers still had valid Windows license keys, surely Microsoft wouldn't mind, or feel cheated out of sales, if folks used these copied Windows 7 and XP recovery discs? And Microsoft wouldn't have too much of a problem with the person making these CDs, especially since the disc images can be downloaded for free?

Well, Microsoft and the Feds had a massive problem with this caper. You see, these discs weren't your average burnt copies labeled with magic marker. The court noted that Lundgren had the discs printed professionally overseas with labels that claimed they were authorized copies of the restore media. This is key to understanding the prosecution, and court's, reasoning here.

Lundgren objected to the district court's prison sentence, arguing the damages in this case – a $700,000 estimate in "lost" sales was used to calculate the 15 month term – were overblown, seeing as the discs themselves were essentially worthless without a product key, which was present on every resold PC, and the restore software is made available for free by Microsoft.

Redmond also sells the discs to resellers for $25 each. This is also key to understanding why Lundgren had the book thrown at him: Microsoft wasn't being paid for those 28,000 discs. Normal end-users are allowed to download and use the recovery images for free. Resellers aren't allowed to download and redistribute them for free.

And the line between Lundgren distributing stuff as a reseller, and Lundgren as a nice guy giving people free stuff for the good of the planet, was not blurred enough to avoid being sent down for more than a year.
The case has grabbed the attention of the recycling and right-to-repair groups, who argue that the sentence was heavy-handed and could potentially criminalize the practice of recycling old PCs. Microsoft has countered that Lundgren deliberately sought to copy its product and pass the copies off as authorized, genuine software.

The judges sided with the government's case, noting that the defense did not show that the discs weren't intended to be passed off as genuine Microsoft products. "Microsoft actively supports efforts to address e-waste and has worked with responsible e-recyclers to recycle more than 11 million kilograms of e-waste since 2006," Redmond told El Reg in a statement. "Unlike most e-recyclers, Mr Lundgren sought out counterfeit software which he disguised as legitimate and sold to other refurbishers. This counterfeit software exposes people who purchase recycled PCs to malware and other forms of cybercrime, which puts their security at risk and ultimately hurts the market for recycled products."

The appeals court, meanwhile, stated: The district court did not err in concluding the "infringement amount" in this case was $700,000. First, the district court did not clearly err in concluding that the discs Lundgren created were, or appeared to a reasonably informed purchaser to be, substantially equivalent to legitimate discs containing Microsoft OS software.
That conclusion was supported by the sentencing hearing testimony, in which the government’s expert witness testified that the software on the discs created by Lundgren performed in a manner largely indistinguishable from the genuine versions created by Microsoft.

Because the cash value was deemed accurate, the court says, the resulting prison term of 15 months stands. ®

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spog posted:

The court noted that Lundgren had the discs printed professionally overseas with labels that claimed they were authorized copies of the restore media. This is key to understanding the prosecution, and court's, reasoning here.

Yep, that's a key point that Terrist brought up and was missing from the first article I saw.

Why would you go through the effort to print discs when you just label them "Restore Disc of existing operating system" and be pretty much in the clear? :bravo:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If you could put the disc into a brand new component built PC and have it activate, the charge is valid. If it required being installed on an oem/bios-keyed Mobo the charge is bullshit, and the article doesn't make it clear which it is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, the charge is valid either way.

Software X is available as free download to consumers, but is charged for if supplied to a business or reseller (even if reseller's customers are consumers not other businesses).

A reseller obtained the software without paying for it, through the free download interested dedicated for consumers only.

They then had it copied onto retail quality discs with logos and markings that made it seem like a legit oem product.

Even giving them out for free would still mean they'd done a naughty in two avenues.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just don't get how he thought any of that was a good idea.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

Florida, and I'm betting a giant lolbertarian.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

iwentdoodie posted:

Florida, and I'm betting a giant lolbertarian.

He's from California and is a big anti-e-waste thing, he just worked with someone in Florida that got him caught up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, I'm not even seeing how making a whole bunch of new discs is actually preventing e-waste. If the issue is that Microsoft's process to DIY it is too onerous, how is paying them $25 for a disc such a horrible thing? Alternatively, spend that same money on developing an app or script that makes the legal download option easier.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because e-waste, maaaaaaan. The 0's and 1's should be freeeeeee!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

My TV is only 32", and frankly, if I'm home, I'm either reading a book or on the PC. Unless I'm in the shower or have friends over, anyway.

Oh, I don't get to watch movies much because I spend too much time on the internets while simultaneously not wanting to watch stuff on a smaller screen.
What I should do is go surf in my office where I can use one screen for that, and the other for a movie. 27" and 22" are good enough when you're right on top of them. It's a little harder to pay attention when I'm using my laptop in the living room.
So much media to consume!

Seminal Flu posted:

Man gets sentenced for :filez: when he didn't have :filez: and Microsoft had already been paid for operating systems that he made restore disks for (in major bulk).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c32e395e4318

This is what my federal tax dollars go to?
No one was damaged here.

Seminal Flu posted:

From the article "the discs were never sold."

Article says "Eventually, the Florida broker, Robert Wolff, called Lundgren and offered to buy the disks himself as part of a government sting, Lundgren said. Wolff sent Lundgren $3,400, and the conspiracy was cemented."
That's where they nailed him.

Aha. That lovely Washington Post article left out a lot of important details, didn't it.
Changes things a bit.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, I'm not even seeing how making a whole bunch of new discs is actually preventing e-waste. If the issue is that Microsoft's process to DIY it is too onerous, how is paying them $25 for a disc such a horrible thing? Alternatively, spend that same money on developing an app or script that makes the legal download option easier.

He felt like a lot of people are too uncomfortable with tech to deal with downloading the ISOs and burning discs (he's not wrong), and just giving up an buying a new PC when their current PC gets crapped up, thus: e-waste.
He's probably not far off, but forgetting the details that people like new things regardless. Otherwise they'd take the PC to a shop to have *them* reimage the machine.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

In car news, I was actually doing work on a car last night and I did something I haven't done in a very very long time: I over-tightened a bolt and snapped the head off. I'm really embarrassed. Luckily it's on a bolt-on part and not in the engine block. Good lesson right before I do the water pump which is held on with the same size bolts in a very difficult location. Do not over-tighten.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Binge watching Breaking Bad.

I have an insane desire to know what Los Pollos Hermanos fried chicken tastes like.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tide posted:

I have an insane desire to know what Los Pollos Hermanos fried chicken tastes like.

Is it nearly lunch time by any chance?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tide posted:

probably a safe bet it's not as good as CFA

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

LloydDobler posted:

In car news, I was actually doing work on a car last night and I did something I haven't done in a very very long time: I over-tightened a bolt and snapped the head off. I'm really embarrassed. Luckily it's on a bolt-on part and not in the engine block. Good lesson right before I do the water pump which is held on with the same size bolts in a very difficult location. Do not over-tighten.

I learned that same lesson by over-tightening the bolts on a mechanical fuel pump on my dad's old zodiac hurricane. Didn't snap the head off, just cracked the housing. Swapped the new fuel pump on, everything looked good so I take it out for a test drive and after a couple minutes, it wont rev past idle in gear. Limp it back to the dock, open the engine cover and the bilge is full of gas. I had no idea how close I came to being crushed between the engine cover and center console(engine cover opened towards the center console, and there was standing seat on the front end of it for the driver to sit on). Ended up disconnecting the fuel lines to the mechanical pump and installed an electric one cause we didn't want to wait for another mechanical one to be shipped to Alaska.

Funny part was, that was probably one of the less dangerous things to happen in that skiff. I used to take it out in the open ocean during high seas warnings, alone with just a handheld vhf and a life jacket. Of course there was no safety shut-off, so if you did lose your grip on the steering wheel and fell overboard, it would turn hard left and run in circles till the gas ran out.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 26, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

LloydDobler posted:

Before I knew how to work on cars I used a 1/2" drive wrench to tighten a 10mm valve cover bolt. Learned that lesson pretty early. :v: Those ones usually will come back out pretty easy vs. a seized bolt at least.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

For any of you folks who are in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area, if you didn't already know, the annual Pate Swap Meet, largest in the region, starts today at the Texas Motor Speedway, through Sunday. Weather is looking good for the whole weekend. I plan to be out there at least Saturday, and possibly Sunday. Normally, I would take time off and go Thurs-Sat (my dad has a space, so I have a place to rest, eat, etc.), but my current contracting gig has no PTO, so that's a losing proposition.
https://www.pateswapmeet.com/

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

A lot of the comments are dumb as gently caress too.

Some people defend the decision by claiming it's not a big deal. Because SUVs are where the money is at.

Or they point out that people who buy the (more expensive) crossover are only losing a few mpg compared to sedans that have crappy gas mileage. And that somehow means that increases in gas prices won't be a thing.

The assumption that people who aren't currently buying crossovers will just buy crossovers is probably the dumbest aspect of this. The sort of person who is still buying sedans in the the late 2010s isn't going to say "Oh, Ford isn't making Fusions anymore? Guess I'll buy an Edge." They're going to say "Oh, Ford isn't making Fusions any more? Guess I'll buy a Mazda 6."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Theris posted:

The assumption that people who aren't currently buying crossovers will just buy crossovers is probably the dumbest aspect of this. The sort of person who is still buying sedans in the the late 2010s isn't going to say "Oh, Ford isn't making Fusions anymore? Guess I'll buy an Edge." They're going to say "Oh, Ford isn't making Fusions any more? Guess I'll buy a Mazda 6."

This. This so much. Despite what Ford is claiming, Small Cars were still a significant market share, 3rd under Trucks and Crossovers, and outsold SUVs so far in 2018.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have been bothered all morning by my morning commute involving a motorcycle. The rider was in full gear, high vis jacket and sport bike. He was riding responsibly and I was aware of him (driving behind him). We are both in the far right lane approaching our exit. Our existing lane gives you the option for the exit, with an exit only lane that also begins to the right. I entered the "exit only" lane by signalling and pretty much maintaining my speed. Having traveled in the exit only lane for a good ~200 feet the sport biker begins to merge into the exit only lane that I am currently occupying. He did not use his signal OR check his blindspot. He had plenty of room in front of him and rather than matting the brakes I gave a little gusto on the skinny pedal while making sure he had enough room but I passed him.

I could tell he was bothered by it because bikers often feel victimized (generalization and opinion =/= fact I know) but he made a run up the back of me. He almost made a move to swing into the left lane but ultimate decided against it and just stayed behind me. As we went under the underpass I think he was going to try to lane split through but again it appears he decided against it.

I am bothered because none of it wouldn't have happened if he took the time to signal and check his blindspot before attempting the merge. Instead I am sure he passed it off as "Have a look, another rear end in a top hat in an M3". I take a lot of pride in being an involved and attentive driver. Hands on the wheel, checking mirrors and blindspots. Refusing to text/change music on my phone etc. Please validate me internet friends and strangers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thank god, i've finally found a vanpool to work that fits my time schedule so i'll be going from a tank a week to maybe 2 a month

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have been bothered all morning by my morning commute involving a motorcycle. The rider was in full gear, high vis jacket and sport bike. He was riding responsibly and I was aware of him (driving behind him). We are both in the far right lane approaching our exit. Our existing lane gives you the option for the exit, with an exit only lane that also begins to the right. I entered the "exit only" lane by signalling and pretty much maintaining my speed. Having traveled in the exit only lane for a good ~200 feet the sport biker begins to merge into the exit only lane that I am currently occupying. He did not use his signal OR check his blindspot. He had plenty of room in front of him and rather than matting the brakes I gave a little gusto on the skinny pedal while making sure he had enough room but I passed him.

I could tell he was bothered by it because bikers often feel victimized (generalization and opinion =/= fact I know) but he made a run up the back of me. He almost made a move to swing into the left lane but ultimate decided against it and just stayed behind me. As we went under the underpass I think he was going to try to lane split through but again it appears he decided against it.

I am bothered because none of it wouldn't have happened if he took the time to signal and check his blindspot before attempting the merge. Instead I am sure he passed it off as "Have a look, another rear end in a top hat in an M3". I take a lot of pride in being an involved and attentive driver. Hands on the wheel, checking mirrors and blindspots. Refusing to text/change music on my phone etc. Please validate me internet friends and strangers.

You were paying attention. He wasn't. Not your fault he got mad and had misplaced aggression (although it sounds like he was restrained, as well). No harm.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am forced to assume that you are coloring the story in your favor, because you drive a BMW.
Actually, a stereotypical BMW driver would have boasted that he cut off that rear end in a top hat on the bike - served him right for not driving a car, and worse, not a BMW - so maybe you *are* telling the truth.

In all seriousness, you do what you can, but in the end, you are not responsible for other peoples actions or perceptions. There's only so much you can do.
A dashcam can help vindicate you, if only to assure yourself that you actually did drive the way you think you did.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I hate to be that guy but people are dumb and he was mad that you recognized he made a mistake. Lots of people can't take responsibility and there is a good chance that in the moment he couldn't either.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
In the 3 days I've had my Infiniti in the body-shop, I've gone through just as many rental cars from Hertz. Each one I get has under 30k miles but comes with so many issues I have to keep swapping them out.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

commuting words

Sounds like classic "Hey this racer bike is supposed to be faster than all the cars whenever I feel like it so what is this bullshit, gently caress this M3-haver for dispelling that notion in my head".

Also here in lanesplit-legal California, I see a lot of riders acting entitled to making every other vehicle get out of their way while riding semi-recklessly (blasting along splitting at 50mph while traffic is moving at 8mph, weaving between lanesplits, etc), because reducing the biker's commute home should be the key goal for everyone, shouldn't it?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Devyl posted:

In the 3 days I've had my Infiniti in the body-shop, I've gone through just as many rental cars from Hertz. Each one I get has under 30k miles but comes with so many issues I have to keep swapping them out.

Like what?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I enjoyed Infinity War. I hope other people who like the comic book movie thing also enjoy it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I am the terrible people we share the road with (was only two blocks, but still)

Got it for 50% off, $30 for a recliner. My first piece of furniture other than a bed and office chairs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You should have put it on the roof and Mr Bean'd it the whole way home.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I am the terrible people we share the road with (was only two blocks, but still)

Got it for 50% off, $30 for a recliner. My first piece of furniture other than a bed and office chairs.

Is that an ex police car?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spog posted:

Is that an ex police car?

Did the "police interceptor" badge give it away?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, had it for about a year now. Bought it for $750 (at a weird "come-a-long" police auction), put new coils, transmission pan gasket, and shocks/struts on the thing, and have been driving it. Got tired of people slowing down for me at night (even with all the missing paint), so I put that 'NOT A COP" sticker on the back. You can see the impossible-to-remove adhesive residue all over the bumper. It had a bunch of blue reflective remnants all over the place.

E: Weirdly, the white reflective tape all around the door frames was how it came. I've never seen an actual DPS car like that, but talking with an ex-LEO on my orientation day this Tuesday, he said it was probably a "range car" for the last chapter of its life, so they put the reflective tape there to prevent the car from being shot through in low light scenarios. I did find a bunch of .40 S&W and .223/.556 casings all over the car, inside and out. Made it fun the first time it rained and the wiper motors stopped working, the motor was sitting in a pool of water under the windshield cowl. The cowl drain flap was blocked by... a bunch of .556 cases packed with dirt and leaves.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 26, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I remember when the 03 CVPIs first started hitting auctions around $6k and dropped to about $3k after a few years, at this point they're around $1k.

What amazes me is the Tahoes only go for around $6k. with 170,000kms, which on a GM is just out of warranty. 5.3, 6L80, RWD. that seems like something that could last forever if you could get to it before the rust does. Seeing the latest engine masters with the 5.3 also gives me bad ideas.

Ecoboost Tauruses/Exploders seem to go for more than the tahoes, and seeing what civilian use does to the PTO, i wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot pole.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

Did the "police interceptor" badge give it away?

I couldn't read that but I could see the spotlight thingy.

Yeah, had it for about a year now. Bought it for $750 (at a weird "come-a-long" police auction), put new coils, transmission pan gasket, and shocks/struts on the thing, and have been driving it. Got tired of people slowing down for me at night (even with all the missing paint), so I put that 'NOT A COP" sticker on the back. You can see the impossible-to-remove adhesive residue all over the bumper. It had a bunch of blue reflective remnants all over the place.

So it doesn't have cop shocks anymore? You've ruined the quote.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can still do the quote, I put "cop shocks" back in it.

For the image thing, I used
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/epvAJ54h.jpg[/img]
As my image URL. On imgur, you can replace that last "h" with a "s," "m," "l," or "h," (H for huge). Or, you can remove it entirely to get the full-sized picture

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/epvAJ54.jpg[/img]

I have an add-on to Chrome called imagus (there is a firefox version as well) that automatically makes the largest version of an image on most websites like reddit/tumblr/imgur pop up when I hover a mouse over an image. It's also really handy for google image searches now that google has removed the "view original image" button (lawsuit), because a lot of websites will have a higher-res version with a common naming scheme. Imagus looks for that highest-res image and makes it available to you. So, even though I posted the "h" version of the image, when hovering or clicking through I get the largest resolution image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This is totally legit. You’ve got it strapped in there good.

I found the 3M sticker and stripe remover in a spray can, and lots of elbow grease to be effective in removing cop residue.

And my not a cop license plate frame is better than your sticker, Nyah!

• Locked thread