Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I just don't get the timing.

Like, finish up the casca stuff - then cut to Griffith - then cut back to guts and their next move.
When something is monthly and of variable (and sometimes very short) length, this seems a poor decision.

Cliffhangers like this are how serial authors make their money, and cutting to a different point of view while you're hooked is how books keep you turning the pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Like, I get cliffhangers. But in a monthly mag don't you normally see a big cliffhanger, then the continuation next month? They want to get you coming back to find out what happened, not to just leave it unresolved for months at a time.
And then when there's a big cliffhanger, usually they print it at the end of a volume when they release it, the beginning of the next volume usually pics up resolving the cliffhanger.

It seems more likely that this:

Crabtree posted:

There is also the possibility of him showing Griffith in a certain situation where it may be not the best time for him to suddenly feel the "real" Casca through the Od. Thinking about him, about the Eclipse, about what's happened to her in all this time.
is the case, now that I think about it more.
If it is indeed the case, it seems a mistake to not tie this chapter to the last by showing Griffith feeling a twinge or something on the last page. As-is, this chapter doesn't seem to directly relate at all, which was kind of my point. There was a big cliffhanger and now a chapter seemingly completely unrelated to the cliffhanger right after. In the long run, it's likely related, yes. But there's no indication now.
And maybe that's the most Berserk-like thing about thos chapter. It's all delayed gratification, and it'll all make sense at the end. I'm not sure that's the best way to write a monthly publication, but hell I'm not an author so what do i know :shrug:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh sweet I love warcraft 2

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The art in this chapter is just beautiful. Some of the best I've seen from him.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of late for an April fools chapter.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So narratively it kind of makes sense, cause it connects Caska's horror at remembering the eclipse to seeing the product of the eclipse: Griffith and his new fantasy world where he gets to play at being a dashing knight despite being able to transform into a demon at will and crush all these guys with a gesture.

There's a nice contrast between the seriousness of the wreckage he left behind and the trite play soldier hero life he is now leading.

Plus it gives Miura time to think of how to deal with Caska' reaction. So it does feel a bit like stalling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

or its a deliberate move to keep the audience in suspense

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Cut to: life in stasis upon a boat for 10 years

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Augus posted:

or its a deliberate move to keep the audience in suspense

the hiatuses do that already

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The endless bitching about there being no Berserk but also there being Berserk sure is fresh and original and what I read this thread for

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I just think we should still be on the boat.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

guys there is still the return trip on the boat.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The obvious play is to have Caska's presence gently caress with Griffith's brain in the middle of the Troll King fight. That could be fun.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Now that you mention it Griffith eating a giant troll club right in his loving face would be rather satisfying. Make it so that you can track Griffith's fairytale kingdom's downfall from the pimpslap heard around the world to him eventually being cut in half by Guts.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LordMune posted:

The endless bitching about there being no Berserk but also there being Berserk sure is fresh and original and what I read this thread for

I don't understand why they are reading this nor how they made it this far.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Miura trolled me :cry:

Please Miura, I need to know about Casca.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It'd be cool if people kept spoilertagging discussion of the new chapter until the good translation is out.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This one didn't really feel like a full chapter, I dunno. Once it's part of a series no-one's going to care, and it's got some excellent art, so I'm not complaining too hard.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There's nothing really to spoil except that it follows Griffith again, which is the good kind of spoiler since it manages expectations and nothing else.

Bug Squash posted:

This one didn't really feel like a full chapter, I dunno. Once it's part of a series no-one's going to care, and it's got some excellent art, so I'm not complaining too hard.

I thought half was cut out of the scan when i read it. Was so confused at how short it seemed.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It looks like it's only 15 pages, and 7 of those aren't splashes.

So I agree that it felt like a series of establishing shots/panels to something instead of anything with substance.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
While we're back with Griffith again, can we take a moment to talk about what everyone thinks his end goal is for all of this? He has his kingdom and has merged the worlds together, but he's still playing the dashing messiah and the apostles are still making nice with the humans.What is the reason for him and the Godhand going through with the whole song and dance of what he's doing, when he and his monster army could probably just sweeps over everything and either destroy or enslave whatever they want?

Or is Griffith a legitimately nice person now, protecting his subjects and fighting evil trolls out of the goodness of his heart?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

While we're back with Griffith again, can we take a moment to talk about what everyone thinks his end goal is for all of this? He has his kingdom and has merged the worlds together, but he's still playing the dashing messiah and the apostles are still making nice with the humans.What is the reason for him and the Godhand going through with the whole song and dance of what he's doing, when he and his monster army could probably just sweeps over everything and either destroy or enslave whatever they want?

Or is Griffith a legitimately nice person now, protecting his subjects and fighting evil trolls out of the goodness of his heart?

I think Guts put it best back when they first got to Elfhelm; Griffith will never truly be satisfied and will always seek higher and higher pedestals to put himself on. I think Falconia is going to last for exactly however long it takes for him to come up with something even bigger and more extravagant to chase after.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

This is his dream, being the noble king of his own kingdom.

But he acts nice because that is what he believes said noble king is. Like a sociopath, only has a superficial understanding of what these things are about. His subjects will be protected, but they're just props to his fantasy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

pretty sure most of Griffith's people are going to hell when they die since he's a member of the godhand and all
like they even had that scene where he was passing their souls on to the other side
except he never clarified what that "other side" was

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Augus posted:

pretty sure most of Griffith's people are going to hell when they die since he's a member of the godhand and all
like they even had that scene where he was passing their souls on to the other side
except he never clarified what that "other side" was

If the IoE is still canon, I think they all go to the same place no matter what. That was a thing, right?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
IIRC, the way it works is that those who die peacefully and without hate/malice (Godo, Flora) get to go to Heaven, or whatever passes for it in Berserkverse. Those who don't die peacefully, become an Apostle, get turned into an Apostle-Spawn, pledge themselves to a demon knowingly or otherwise or get branded as a sacrifice (pretty much everyone else) go straight to Hell.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

IIRC, the way it works is that those who die peacefully and without hate/malice (Godo, Flora) get to go to Heaven, or whatever passes for it in Berserkverse. Those who don't die peacefully, become an Apostle, get turned into an Apostle-Spawn, pledge themselves to a demon knowingly or otherwise or get branded as a sacrifice (pretty much everyone else) go straight to Hell.

Ah, I don't know why I was thinking there was no afterlife. Probably mixing it up with some other franchise. My memory is poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Billzasilver posted:

The obvious play is to have Caska's presence gently caress with Griffith's brain in the middle of the Troll King fight. That could be fun.

He may not even admit that he or the child he is using as a body is reacting to Casca, but its enough to do the thing his Psychic Girl deliberately told him not to do and get injured by creatures that are beneath him. And for a man playing invincible Conquering Hero King of Falconia, you don't want to poke any holes in that narrative. That or maybe give an opening for him to recover and thus Moon Child returns looking for mommy.

No proof that this is happening, it just feels like the Most Cause and Effect thing to flow about.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

bloom posted:

Now that you mention it Griffith eating a giant troll club right in his loving face would be rather satisfying. Make it so that you can track Griffith's fairytale kingdom's downfall from the pimpslap heard around the world to him eventually being cut in half by Guts.
This has my vote. It would be cool if Casca's waking actually first attracts all the hungry apostles, who then turn and run toward the shore, leaving Griffith to fight for himself. The humans stand by perplexed while Griffith eats troll club, and then the trolls do all their other troll things.

Only disagreement I have here is that cutting him into two pieces is not nearly enough. If all the apostles got to take little bites, that might work. Though, in fact, the greatest punishment Griffith could suffer is not being a fake God. If Guts and Casca return and leave him alive, and everyone recognizes that they are the force of good and stand behind them, Griffith will go insane from the loss of fake power.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh and if my vision is true, I want you all to prepare for the possibility that the moment Casca came back into Berserk, she's already done more direct damage to Griffith post Eclipse than Guts whole Black Swordsman rampage.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Every time he shows up I am struck at how incredibly crazy Griffith's eyes look. I wonder just how many times Miura redrew them before he felt like he really nailed them.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
It'd be interesting if Griffith actually dies before Guts can even get a chance to kill him. Depending on what Miura does, Casca may or may not be pissed at Griffith similar to immediately post-eclipse Guts, so there might be a an interesting angle there.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 27, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I mean "Hell" in Berserk is less a place of eternal torment and instead being utterly stripped of any personal identity and becoming apart of the chain of the damned in the Abyss AFAIK.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Later than usual, but here's Chapter 356 straight from the original Japanese.

The wording of "next time" is the same as it was last time, so another chapter next month is not off the table (though still not likely).

LordMune fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 30, 2018

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Thank you!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That was a brutally short chapter too. Given the last few have had some meat to them, that was gorgeous, but kinda slim.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I dunno guys, Griffith might be in trouble. That troll king looks pretty tough!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I'm rooting for Troll King

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I like the improvised weapons the Giants are using. Most were using trees, but I also counted a cannon, a battering ram, a trip hammer and one of those church bird statues tied to a chain. Also the King was drinking out of a church bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I'm the giant wearing half of a boat as a hat and using the other half as a shield.