Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Tank shoots AC/5, single hit removes my Locust's right arm and right torso. The gently caress is with the math in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
alternatively and relatedly, "pilots are to all intents and purposes expendable resources, like everything else"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
just dunno what to say

if you're not running your t-hawk with SRM12, max jets, max armor, small lasers, and no shits

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Wasn't the XCOM thread named "Don't name soldiers under captain" for a while? Don't sweat soldiers and parts early on, it's all easily replaceable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deuce posted:

Tank shoots AC/5, single hit removes my Locust's right arm and right torso. The gently caress is with the math in this game

extra damage to arm goes to torso, i'm pretty sure

also if you're fielding a locust anything that happens to it is your own fault for doing so

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deuce posted:

Locusts are constructed of paper mache

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Propaganda Hour posted:

Wasn't the XCOM thread named "Don't name soldiers under captain" for a while? Don't sweat soldiers and parts early on, it's all easily replaceable.

Except Glitch, she's wonderful

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

alternatively and relatedly, "pilots are to all intents and purposes expendable resources, like everything else"

it’s a very sand in the ointment issue. all mechwarriors being expendable npc’s and the player just being a commander might’ve been easier to swallow but then people would be unhappy that they can’t be a mechwarrior.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So for some reason HBS gave the manual to beta testers, but didn't include it in the full version.

Anyway here it is for those interested

https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.harebrained-schemes.com/backer-beta/manual.pdf

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's actually more bad rear end that your character is leading all these people out on missons barking commands out with an IV and their arm and stuffed with bandages

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So two questions:
1. Does this game have Uziels?
2. I would like to place an order for 8 Uziels.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

So two questions:
1. Does this game have Uziels?
2. I would like to place an order for 8 Uziels.

As far as I can tell, no. :negative:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Wait wait are Timberwolves in?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

This is set before the Clan mechs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

to slightly elaborate, the baseline Uziel uses a shitload of clan-derived tech, so it makes sense that it's not in

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hard pass

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's a 3065 mech and IIRC this is a 3025 game

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

No, no clans yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Deuce posted:

Assuming it was undamaged, was this shot from the Locust's rear? A stock Locust-1V has enough frontal armor/structure to (just barely) soak an AC/5 hit to the side torso and a hit to the arm would've destroyed the arm but not done enough damage to also destroy the torso.

A side torso being destroyed also blows off the arm on the same side.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Assuming it was undamaged, was this shot from the Locust's rear? A stock Locust-1V has enough frontal armor/structure to (just barely) soak an AC/5 hit to the side torso and a hit to the arm would've destroyed the arm but not done enough damage to also destroy the torso.

I'm wondering if it had ammo in it that got crit. I don't know the default loadout for whatever Locust he was using.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

This is set before the Clan mechs

drat, yeah I know little about mechwarrior lore so wasn't sure on that one. I just remember as a kid seeing the TW on the cover of a mechwarrior game and it being :krad:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

GreyjoyBastard posted:

extra damage to arm goes to torso, i'm pretty sure

also if you're fielding a locust anything that happens to it is your own fault for doing so

You fight with the mechs you have, not with the mechs you wish you had. :colbert:

Also I just looked at the Locust armor and wtf who BUILT this thing? Are those paper towels in the place of armor plates!?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Explorer posted:

What or where? I assume where, because what is exactly what they say on the tin. The withdraw button is in the top-right, the eject button is next to your mechs paperdoll when you click on it in the bottom left (button itself is on the top right of the paperdoll, I think).

Yeah I meant what were the keys to do them. Thanks!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i sneezed at a locust and one of its legs and both its arms came off that ac/5 hit sounds pretty lucky

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Deuce posted:

You fight with the mechs you have, not with the mechs you wish you had. :colbert:

Also I just looked at the Locust armor and wtf who BUILT this thing? Are those paper towels in the place of armor plates!?

They're scouts and anti-infantry mechs. They're not really made to fight against enemy mechs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ah yeah, that'd do it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[sticking a syringe into a reddit thread and tying down the rubber hose] https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8ey6ej/so_since_hbs_was_kind_enough_to_block_my_account/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Deuce posted:

I do have a certain fondness for early game "well, I have repair time to burn, a mission available, and a Locust; congratulations, Redshirt McDoomed, welcome to the team"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

if anything i wish the early post-tutorial game A) was longer and B) involved more garbagebuckets

but then I really enjoy the Battle Brothers "here's your spear, here's your shield, here's your armor with faint red stains" early game

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if anything i wish the early post-tutorial game A) was longer and B) involved more garbagebuckets

Once I get done with the campaign I'm toying with digging through files and seeing about a Sandbox Campaign where you stay in the leopard and just start with a couple Locusts, a Commando, and one or two other lights or maybe a low-end medium. I won't be rushing things though and I know very little about modding so no promises, but I totally expect someone to do something like this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Once I get done with the campaign I'm toying with digging through files and seeing about a Sandbox Campaign where you stay in the leopard and just start with a couple Locusts, a Commando, and one or two other lights or maybe a low-end medium. I won't be rushing things though and I know very little about modding so no promises, but I totally expect someone to do something like this.

Behold, the might of the Firestarter! Flee, mortals!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

what exactly was this rant bullet about

quote:

try destroying a Dropship in the middle of Inner Sphere during the LosTech age and you will have all the great houses shove an Atlas up your rear end

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I didn't read what you quoted but I have absolutely no idea

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

make sure you read his slippery-slope diversity fanfiction at the bottom of the post

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dropships are very valuable during this period, yes, but they're not irreplaceable. There is steady, if limited production. Destroying one is a very acceptable price to pay to assassinate someone to cement your power and prevent a coup from turning into a civil war.

He is probably thinking Jumpships.

"Only white person is a badguy", but Espinosa is Spanish/South African and has pretty dark skin...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I figured I'd show off some of my builds, both to help people who are new and to get feedback from some more experienced people.

First the builds that carried me in the early game

1) Shadowhawk

I switched between using it like this or with a Large Laser, another SRM6 and more armor. Both designs were workhorses for the early game, I don't think I ever had a Shadowhawk go down.

2) Hunchback

Basically vanilla, but with some added Jumpjets. Solid performer overall.

3) Centurion

Absolute MVP of the early game for me. It taught me how good a dedicated LRM unit is and it was the last Medium I was actively using before I managed to cobble together a full team of Heavies.

And now Mid-game (3-3.5skull missions)

1) Black Knight

My First Heavy and a mainstay on my team because of it. I made it a little more heat neutral and increased the DPS by dropping the large lasers for mediums.

2) Dragon

Not the greatest Heavy mech, but you can get a guaranteed one pretty early on. I use it as a spotter for the rest of the squad with its slightly above average movement, and it packs an okay punch.

3) Jagermech

Much like the Centurion, the new MVP of my lance. Its hilariously deadly and never even gets scratched in battle. A++ would always recommend an LRM boat

4) Thunderbolt

Easily the most deadly of my Heavies, I like this little dude quite a bit. Basically just use it like an upgraded Hunchback.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

unf yeah that's the stuff

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rascyc posted:

the game has somewhat retconned the value and rarity of interplanetary, never mind interstellar, transport ships

canonically larger Dropships (ie, reentry-capable transport ships) are rare and crazy-expensive, and blowing one to smithereens that wasn't actively involved in delivering combat mechs would definitely be frowned upon, even if Idiot Moron is overstating it somewhat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dropships are very valuable during this period, yes, but they're not irreplaceable. There is steady, if limited production. Destroying one is a very acceptable price to pay to assassinate someone to cement your power and prevent a coup from turning into a civil war.

He is probably thinking Jumpships.

"Only white person is a badguy", but Espinosa is Spanish/South African and has pretty dark skin...

yeah he's probably thinking jumpships because he's an idiot moron

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Zore posted:

1) Shadowhawk

Why does your shadowhawk have the ammo in the opposite side torsos? That means if you lose a side torso, one side's weapon is destroyed, and the ammo for the weapon the other side is also destroyed, meaning you effectively lose both side torso weapons.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a 3065 mech and IIRC this is a 3025 game

My superpower government will dispute scientific facts in a way that directly contributes to the end of the world, but all the sudden (fictional) facts matter now. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why does your shadowhawk have the ammo in the opposite side torsos? That means if you lose a side torso one side's weapon is destroyed and the ammo for the weapon the other side is destroyer, meaning you effectively lose both side torso weapons.

mostly to aesthetically balance the design in the builder :downs:

You're right though, that would definitely be a better plan overall since it has bitten me in the rear end once or twice.