Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

Again: big thanks to Hokuto every time.

Thank you! :shobon:

I'm glad you guys are picking up the English version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

is getting a game over if you lose any unit a early game thing or a expert mode thing?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zore posted:

Its the character with the most kills who's currently in the party.

Welp. The very next mission had Soji get kidnapped by Gardim at the end of the battle.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

DrManiac posted:

is getting a game over if you lose any unit a early game thing or a expert mode thing?

Sometimes it's a losing condition. If you go to your main menu (the one with "end turn") and check the Objectives screen, it will tell you the conditions that will trigger a game over.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It is a losing condition for every stage until you get a battleship.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yo, Hokuto, you totally have to tell us the story of how you ended up on the SRW X translation now.

I was excited for this game anyways, but its extra special knowing a goon worked on it. Congratulations. :)

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 26, 2018

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It won't be this year or the next but at some point I'll get a PS4 and play Hokuto's game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, now I mean it many times more strongly: everyone, please enjoy the game!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp, I kinda had to buy the English version after hearing that. Congrads on getting to officially translate a SRW!

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Well, now I have even more reason to buy this when I can. Looking forward to it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Up to stage 10 and game is good. I really like the cast so far and it makes me kind of sad to know I’m just going to get all the usual suspects to bloat my unit list later. English translation is good and I’m glad to know Hokuto worked on it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought the Switch version of G Gen Genesis. It's the same game as on the PS4 and Vita, obviously. It will serve me well on some upcoming trips.

Here's to a SRW game on the Switch before too long!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm super excited and looking forward to getting it, here's hoping I can still get my hands on a physical copy whenever I have some free money to throw around. I don't know how hard it is to get copies of like MD or V nowadays, but I hope the print run was at least large enough that it won't be too difficult.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201804/24156198.html
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/989217061590126592

Famitsu apparently published a massive 26 retrospective on the Sakura Wars series.

Rascyc posted:

How did expert mode turn out?

I've read two playthroughs on people who have done No Customization runs (Upgrades, Skills, Items) on Expert Mode.

The common consensus seems to be that early game is hell because the majority of enemy units are dodgy S-sized units and your own units aren't stellar, but it eases up when you start getting actual good Supers like Simon/GL. There's a handful of difficulty spike missions but it's generally smooth sailing past that and most tough scenarios can just be turtled through since there's no time limit SR points on Expert.

I guess you can extrapolate on how it turns out if you actually use the customization options in the game since I haven't read any "Expert Mode without restrictions" playlogs yet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Davzz posted:

I've read two playthroughs on people who have done No Customization runs (Upgrades, Skills, Items) on Expert Mode.

The common consensus seems to be that early game is hell because the majority of enemy units are dodgy S-sized units and your own units aren't stellar, but it eases up when you start getting actual good Supers like Simon/GL. There's a handful of difficulty spike missions but it's generally smooth sailing past that and most tough scenarios can just be turtled through since there's no time limit SR points on Expert.

I guess you can extrapolate on how it turns out if you actually use the customization options in the game since I haven't read any "Expert Mode without restrictions" playlogs yet.

It's early days for me yet(stage 12 or so), but the biggest challenge so far has been that your early units are all fragile reals who are reliant on dodging to survive, and enemy accuracy and damage is extremely high due to all the upgrades so it's pretty easy to get people shot down in one or two hits if you're not careful. Even with 2-3 upgrades in mobility most of your reals are going to get hit by grunts on a ~50-60% if they're not under a leadership aura or Focus. Wataru especially struggles with this, because he doesn't have focus, he has the lowest HP in the cast, and he's stuck on the ground so he can't benefit from your only support defender(the Megafauna).

Enemies are also relatively durable due to the extra upgrades, which makes it so you're exposed to more counterattacks since you can't feasibly one shot everything. Generally I've needed to save all my SP for bosses because they are extremely accurate and take 6-8 attacks to drop so defensive spirits are required.

We'll see how it holds up as time goes on and stuff like custom bonuses and ace bonuses get unlocked.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wataru is actually deceptively durable. He comes with a high Prevail, Hero boosts his armor (which isn't that thin to start with), and Savior cuts damage again as his Will climbs. Don't be afraid to let him take a hit or two, and this only gets more true as the game goes on.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My copy of X isn’t here yet. :smith:

UPS has failed its SR Point requirement.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Raxivace posted:

My copy of X isn’t here yet. :smith:

UPS has failed its SR Point requirement.

That's why I play in PSN mode. Never fail that SR point again!

Also shipping to Canada from anywhere not in North America is rear end.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Right after I make that post I get my package lol. Weird that that they give a steel case AND a regular PS4 case though, and that steel case has nothing written on its spine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Augh I have to finish before everyone overtakes me (this is the secret reason I ordered early, is because I play games so slowly I need the head start).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

Wataru is actually deceptively durable. He comes with a high Prevail, Hero boosts his armor (which isn't that thin to start with), and Savior cuts damage again as his Will climbs. Don't be afraid to let him take a hit or two, and this only gets more true as the game goes on.

He's got decent armor but with a starting HP of 3900 and size S he frequently gets one shot or nearly one shot by everything, which is his problem; many times when he actually survives a hit he's so low on HP that a second hit will kill him even with his bonuses kicking in. Stacking up armor with prevail and Hero doesn't help when the Enkidudu can hit him for twice his starting HP.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ah, I broke down and ordered my copy of X after seeing those shots of the localization.

Is the Hi-nu a secret unit or just a regular acquisition?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

UPS apparently lost my package for a day, so I have to wait an extra 24 hours to get my copy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't have enough money to obtain X. I'm sad.

How late do you get Masaki if you don't pre-purchase? Do we know already?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kanos posted:

He's got decent armor but with a starting HP of 3900 and size S he frequently gets one shot or nearly one shot by everything, which is his problem; many times when he actually survives a hit he's so low on HP that a second hit will kill him even with his bonuses kicking in. Stacking up armor with prevail and Hero doesn't help when the Enkidudu can hit him for twice his starting HP.

You spirit up for bosses whether you're Ryujinmaru or Mazinkaiser. On Expert I can see hits blowing past Prevail, but I feel like everyone is burning SP and hunkering in command zones to survive Expert anyway. I think it'll be less noticeable by the time he gets Ryuohmaru, has a higher Hero level, and may be aced.

Personally, I've done a mostly classic 100% hard run so far and I feel like the default stats are at least putting up more resistance than V. I'm thinking of waiting a bit after I finish and then doing my Iori/Gundams run on Expert.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I don't have enough money to obtain X. I'm sad.

How late do you get Masaki if you don't pre-purchase? Do we know already?

He just shows up later as opposed to like after mission 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RoyalScion posted:

In V the preorder characters showed up at the rear end end of the game if you didn't get it though. Like stage 44 or something.

And you missed a ton of banter etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Got all of the DLC downloaded now, though I won't be able to start until tonight. Really looking forward to the one called "Pretty Salian's Adventure". :allears:

I spend far too much money on these games now. I am the problem with capitalism.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If it's like V Masaki joins around the time Preorder Masaki would have gotten Cybuster upgraded, and Cybuster is kind of okay before upgrade and insanely good after anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

If it's like V Masaki joins around the time Preorder Masaki would have gotten Cybuster upgraded, and Cybuster is kind of okay before upgrade and insanely good after anyway.

Pre-upgrade Cybuster is easily the best unit you have for the first dozen stages until Gurren Lagann joins, to be honest, and even then it's a race. It's fast, has great ranges, has a spammable low-morale finisher, and Cyflash is extremely boss because it's not piss weak and this game doesn't have map weapon money/TacP penalties.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah, I'm asking how much later. Are we talking after mission 10 or after mission 40?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
How much in sgd is the game and all the dlc?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am wondering if X actually plays any different/better than V; trying to decide if I want to play a SRW if I should get X or actually get back on V.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

I am wondering if X actually plays any different/better than V; trying to decide if I want to play a SRW if I should get X or actually get back on V.
It sure seems almost identical in mechanics and overall feel to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

It's basically identical. I'd go for whatever one has the series list you like more TBH.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So I just got home to check - you get Masaki after the split ends on mission 34.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Speaking of Masaki that High Familiar animation sure is something. It looks like they reused an animation from one of the LoE games.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Irisize posted:

UPS apparently lost my package for a day, so I have to wait an extra 24 hours to get my copy.

My copy is in Alaska. Why? Hell if I know. I'm guessing my package is being delivered by Masaki. I don't think I've ever had a package bound for Washington go to Alaska.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FYI, first mistranslated SR point I found is in the Black Mightgaine stage. The point is "defeat Black Mightgaine with a Smash Hit" not "Black Mightgaine defeats an enemy with a Smash HIt."

Edit:

This is the funniest goddamn joke in the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Caphi posted:

So I just got home to check - you get Masaki after the split ends on mission 34.

Better than V at least. Thanks.

• Locked thread