Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've always thought that the big American cop cars must be really cool to own.

Not because I want to be a policeman when I grow up, but because they look like they would be very comfortable cruisers that run forever and cost pocket money.

We don't get those here. A low spec, low power diesel vectra is a horribly depressing car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
WD40 is pretty good for removing sticker residue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

Not because I want to be a policeman when I grow up, but because they look like they would be very comfortable cruisers that run forever and cost pocket money.

We don't get those here. A low spec, low power diesel vectra is a horribly depressing car.

They are and they do, except for gas. They are not fuel efficient. 4000 lb. American sedan with a 4.6L V8 and a 4-speed auto-overdrive. I regularly get about 16 city, 20-21 highway. I also drive in a way that is not conducive to economy, so...

Mine looked like this when I got it. Lots of sticky residue:

Also, rubber floor mats, nonfunctional dome light, nonfunctional (from the inside) rear door locks and handles, and no center console. Only one hole in the roof, though!
edit: and a vinyl rear seat, too.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 26, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

WD40 is pretty good for removing sticker residue.

It works, but this adhesive is tenacious.
I used this: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Woodgrain-and-Stripe-Adhesive-Remover/?N=5002385+3293194059&rt=rud

A bit pricy at $30+ a can, but it *works*.

Mine looks like this now:

They also make a buffing wheel specifically for removing stickers and stripes. Mainly for removing them wholesale, but should work on just the adhesive, too.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 26, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Also, rubber floor mats, nonfunctional dome light, nonfunctional (from the inside) rear door locks and handles, and no center console. Only one hole in the roof, though!

I wish my paint was like yours. Mine's from the "we don't know what low VOC paint is" era, so it's all coming off. Looking online, it's the exact same pattern as on other CVs, too. What year is yours? The dome light thing should be fixable in <2008 cars by a plug behind the glovebox, right? For the center console, I bought this one, but it was only like $40 at the time (:wtf: $80! Amazon!), and for the door locks I think we worked together on that? (there are a lot of P71 owners on here and I get us all confused)

spog posted:

They are driveable couches, but I get 17 in town and up to 24 on the freeway if I keep it under 70. Sometimes I drive a bit aggressively or "sporty" (as sporty as a CVPI can get) and dip into the mid-15's. A P71 is probably the only car where the MPG and the 1/4 mile times are identical.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 26, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Infinity war in 3 hours :getin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I wish my paint was like yours. Mine's from the "we don't know what low VOC paint is" era, so it's all coming off. Looking online, it's the exact same pattern as on other CVs, too. What year is yours? The dome light thing should be fixable in <2008 cars by a plug behind the glovebox, right? For the center console, I bought this one, but it was only like $40 at the time (:wtf: $80! Amazon!), and for the door locks I think we worked together on that? (there are a lot of P71 owners on here and I get us all confused)

Look closer. Mine's not coming off in sheets, but there's a spot there on the rear door, and where the filler bit is on the roof seam, and a couple spots on the roof and trunk that you can't see in those pictures. The ones on the roof keep getting bigger. One on the hood, too. Not too bad compared to others I've seen. I have touch up paint - I'm just lazy, and I don't like the clear coat the touch up (Plastikote) came with - it's matte and has to be rubbed out to be glossy. WTF?
Mines a 2005. I bought a minivan console from WalMart for $30: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Drive-Minivan-Center-Console-Gray/36259986

Fits really well. Sells on eBay with a pad in the top cubby for a lot more than $30. I just built an armrest pad myself. It's all plastic, so not the sturdiest. What I'd really like is a CV LS Sport or Marauder console (and floor shifter, because ~*sporty*~).

Yeah, I have all the lights, locks, and door handles working. I had to raid a Gran Marquis in the wrecking yard for the door lock and handle actuating rods. Mine only needed the jumper removed for the dome light, and the harness plugged in for the rear power windows.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They are driveable couches, but I get 17 in town and up to 24 on the freeway if I keep it under 70. Sometimes I drive a bit aggressively or "sporty" (as sporty as a CVPI can get) and dip into the mid-15's. A P71 is probably the only car where the MPG and the 1/4 mile times are identical.

Sure is nice to have that V8 when you need to pass some butthead, though. Thankfully my commute is short.
I only paid $1500 for the car, so that left a lot for gas.

edit: when driving this car, I use the phrase "merge with authority" a lot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Plenty of LE around here still have a few Crown Vics floating around in service, so I'm sure MGS gets plenty of people going "Oh poo poo" when he appears in their rear view mirror.

I don't think any are left here in my local municipality (Buckeye), they are mostly all Tahoes, but strangely all the unmarked vehicles I've seen here are Fords - Mustangs and F-150s.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, Mesa, Tempe, and surprisingly Scottsdale all still have crown vics in service, as well as smaller boroughs. Im sure the bull bar is a huge part of it, but I've used it twice to push disabled cars so I'm keeping it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Locator posted:

Plenty of LE around here still have a few Crown Vics floating around in service, so I'm sure MGS gets plenty of people going "Oh poo poo" when he appears in their rear view mirror.

I don't think any are left here in my local municipality (Buckeye), they are mostly all Tahoes, but strangely all the unmarked vehicles I've seen here are Fords - Mustangs and F-150s.

Almost everything here now is a Tahoe or Explorer. They have like 5 unmarked white/silver Explorers so the Explorer is now the vehicle that causes the "oh poo poo" moments for me.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
03 Crown Vic is one of my dream cars, in a way. Maybe not, now that they're getting older...

Nothing is more fun that punching it on an entrance ramp and watching people get out of the way, though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Seminal Flu posted:

You were paying attention. He wasn't. Not your fault he got mad and had misplaced aggression (although it sounds like he was restrained, as well). No harm.

I hope it was this. I really didn’t bother my commute, I wasn’t in any compromising position. What bothered me was just hoping he didn’t get to work thinking about that jerk in the blue car when I in fact was not a jerk.

It should be noted that our morning “traffic” can barely be called traffic. All the space you could need and never having to drop below the posted limits make for a pretty chill start to the day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The NFL draft is tonight and nobody gives half a gently caress because of Infinity War.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I care

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I just got my first full frame DSLR. Holy poo poo, it makes my APS-C look like poo poo balls.

It's a well-used 5D mkii, replacing a 60D. I've had nothing but good luck with my series of Canon APS-C bodies, but man, if I had known the full-frame was this much better, I would have changed earlier. And I'm still 2 generations from the stuff they're making now.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Probably getting an 80d for the mrs. birthday/Mother’s Day gift. I don’t think we’re quite ready for full frame yet. Still, excited for the upgrade from a t5i.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I got a Nikon.....something dslr and lens pack for my 25th work anniversary from my employer and it's still sitting in its box in the corner of my office.
:saddowns:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I got a Nikon.....something dslr and lens pack for my 25th work anniversary from my employer and it's still sitting in its box in the corner of my office.
:saddowns:

You should come along on the rally, like a war photographer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

The NFL draft is tonight and nobody gives half a gently caress because NFL
Fixeded.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Probably getting an 80d for the mrs. birthday/Mother’s Day gift. I don’t think we’re quite ready for full frame yet. Still, excited for the upgrade from a t5i.
If you're good with lightly used PM me. I never use mine.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Seminal Flu posted:

I just got my first full frame DSLR. Holy poo poo, it makes my APS-C look like poo poo balls.

It's a well-used 5D mkii, replacing a 60D. I've had nothing but good luck with my series of Canon APS-C bodies, but man, if I had known the full-frame was this much better, I would have changed earlier. And I'm still 2 generations from the stuff they're making now.

Holy gently caress don’t post that in the Dorkroom.

I just got my second full frame camera, a Sony A7III. If you read the mirrorless thread you would think its garbage and full frame is worthless.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The NFL draft is tonight and nobody gives half a gently caress because of Infinity War.

Speak for yourself, I could give a poo poo about any new marvel movie, the draft is more interesting right now and I can see Infinity War when it gets to redbox :v:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

North/South Korean Dictator/President passed over into each other's side in the neutral zone an hour ago for a Korean summit. Clearly, they did the math and realized they couldn't defeat Thanos single-handedly.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rdb posted:

I just got my second full frame camera, a Sony A7III. If you read the mirrorless thread you would think its garbage and full frame is worthless.

not posting in dorkroom at all is really good advice

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WHAT THE gently caress INFINITY WAR

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WHAT THE gently caress

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Well, I guess we're not avoiding spoilers in this thread again.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've said my peace

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just read the plot synopsis and holy poo poo nerds are going to be so angry. This is gonna be great :allears:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

spog posted:

They are super fun. I've got one as well, need to paint it this summer, it's still black and white and people keep trying to pull over.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

everdave posted:

Like what?

First was a 2017 Nissan Sentra. 27,000 miles and it would idle really rough and shook horribly once you got it up to 30 mph. Next was a 2018 Mazda 3 with 21,000 miles. Drove ok but the radio & radio controls wouldn't work at all. Now I'm in another 2018 Mazda 3 with 14,000 miles. Everything seems alright so far but I've got another two weeks to go, so I guess we'll see.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Well, I guess we're not avoiding spoilers in this thread again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

So I got an email from Ford today. The fucksticks are dropping my vehicle health reports (sent via my mobile phone from Sync), which is the only way those retards made it possible to see percentage of oil life remaining. They are doing this for model years all the way up through 2016 due to 'old technology'.

The gently caress? My 2006 Saturn can still report oil life remaining via Onstar (and like your Ford, that's the only way to see percentage remaining... unlike its Chevrolet and Pontiac siblings).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

not posting in dorkroom at all is really good advice

I don't look at the dorkroom very often. I've been chugging along with a 60D for years and it's delivered pictures that have had people raving and telling me to shoot pro, but I don't really have a desire to do that.

However, I have had a long-range plan in that I bought a 17-40L lens several years ago and I've been using it as a walkaround lens with the 60D, since it gives a pretty solid range on an APS-C body. Now, though, it's on a full-frame body and that lens loving shines. It's everything I had hoped/planned it'd be and I haven't even taken it out of the house yet... but even low-light detail far surpasses the 60D. Plus, the lens correction in Photoshop seems to be better dialed in with the 5D/17-40L combo than with the 60D (which makes sense, because nobody else is dumb enough to put the 17-40L on a 60D).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Now I'm interested.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I would watch this.
I mean, I going to go see Infinity War, but this would kick so much rear end.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

I don't look at the dorkroom very often. I've been chugging along with a 60D for years and it's delivered pictures that have had people raving and telling me to shoot pro, but I don't really have a desire to do that.

However, I have had a long-range plan in that I bought a 17-40L lens several years ago and I've been using it as a walkaround lens with the 60D, since it gives a pretty solid range on an APS-C body. Now, though, it's on a full-frame body and that lens loving shines. It's everything I had hoped/planned it'd be and I haven't even taken it out of the house yet... but even low-light detail far surpasses the 60D. Plus, the lens correction in Photoshop seems to be better dialed in with the 5D/17-40L combo than with the 60D (which makes sense, because nobody else is dumb enough to put the 17-40L on a 60D).

The 60D shoots video correct? I've been thinking about getting one, I'm still rocking one of the 20Ds I used back in my freelance days over a decade ago :v:

My wife got me a Fuji X100 for christmas and it's been great for street photography (black and white is amazing) but it's pretty limited, I need a cheapish body that can do it all when I need to.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I need a cheapish body that can do it all when I need to.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Locator posted:

So I got an email from Ford today. The fucksticks are dropping my vehicle health reports (sent via my mobile phone from Sync), which is the only way those retards made it possible to see percentage of oil life remaining. They are doing this for model years all the way up through 2016 due to 'old technology'.

I got the same email, however have never used it anyway so whatevs... In any case on my wife's 2013 taurus, oil life is under information on the left hand side of controls.
Information>system check>oil life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

I need to go tell the general manager of the dealership I have bought all my cars from that this sort of stupidity (locking my oil life behind their stupid Sync reporting, and then dropping the support for it while I'm still under warranty) is seriously making me reconsider ever buying another Ford, just because a company that stupid doesn't deserve my business.

If they were simultaneously pushing out an upgrade to the car to let me see the oil life (and other vehicle health statuses) on the display in the car then I wouldn't give a poo poo, but to just drop it all on the floor and say too bad? gently caress them.

I couldn't figure out the health report thing as a second owner but I'm not sure I'd ever need it, most car cost tracking apps have really good mileage/time reminders built right in.

That's not to say I'm not currently annoyed with Earnhardt Ford though.

1st ever oil change at their "Quick Lane" department:
- 4 total hours to change my oil, give it the world's shittiest wash and replace some missing screws on the underside tray
- At the three hour mark I overhear the techs saying they straight lost my car in hushed whispers. It took them an hour to find because the wash attendant put it in the wrong lot.
- At one point a customer came in needing a weird accommodation. They were pretty cavalier about mocking him after he left while I was still in the waiting room.
- A month later they email me a survey lol no I don't want to give you a good review. Quick Lane manager calls up, I describe the above, she falls over herself apologizing and gives me 5 free oil changes w/e

2nd change at QL DP
- They can't find my account with oil change freebies. Predictably.
- We're now down to 3 hours for oil and wash.
- Why does my car smell like mildew? [rummage around sounds] Oh, there's a wash rag under my seat. jfc

Gas pedal is now creaking and popping after the vehicle has been *driven* for about 20 minutes or so and its hot out. Doesn't effect driveability other than its really annoying. I'll try Earnhardt's actual service department maybe its better? (lol)
- Lady on the phone taking my appointment could not sound any more annoyed that I'm calling
- Day of I drop off the car and describe the issue again to my service rep, Mel. Not the *driven* part above.
- Despite the appointment lady earlier saying I'd only have to wait 30 minutes for a shuttle its now 90 minutes. gently caress you I'll just walk the 5 miles home whathefuckeverjfc
- Mel calls me to say they can't replicate the issue and to come get it.
- :negative:
- I get there and Mel is nowhere to be found, just some lot kid handing me the keys to my car. I get in, the popping and creaking is instant and super obvious since its been sitting in the sun. Trip computer shows they didn't DRIVE it around, they just let it idle to replicate a GAS PEDAL PROBLEM.
- They sent me a survey day after (yesterday). Lol the experience was poo poo ->send. Mel's boss calls me literally not even a minute after I hit send begging me to bring the car back. I'm not sure if I will. I know its just the spring being near greaseless and at worst AutoZone has the entire assembly for 150 bucks but wtf why am I considering doing this work on my dime and time when I have a warranty. Ugh.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 27, 2018

• Locked thread