Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I do hold onto them in the plane cabin like they're my deathly ill child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My suitcase is a tough plastic thing, so I’ve never had any issues bringing a few records back from places which has been nice.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

My suitcase is a tough plastic thing, so I’ve never had any issues bringing a few records back from places which has been nice.

A few is no problem, but lugging 20-30 records through airport terminals as carry on? I vote for ship em back separately.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I was over at a friend's house and when I left, I decided to just pop in the local Dimple Records to see if they had any RSD items left over that I missed out on. I was really surprised that they had Jay Dilla's Ruff Draft still available so I picked it up. Can't get enough J Dilla lately and I want to order The Shining Double-LP, which is his second solo instrumental album, but I have spent far too much on records lately and need to probably wait a bit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enos Cabell posted:

A few is no problem, but lugging 20-30 records through airport terminals as carry on? I vote for ship em back separately.

Yeah this is checked, I definitely wouldn’t want to be taking a risk with 20-30 in carryon. Although I do lug a fair amount of camera gear on my back, but you know someone is gonna find a way to smash your vinyl if you have to put it in those overhead bins.

I still need to ship a hundred or two records transatlantic, without them getting destroyed or it costing a fortune. Fun.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Yeeeaaaah boiiiiii finally got that new Sleep record.

If anybody is in the Long Beach Area, they still have a few.

edit: They've morse code etched on each side, those interested in my translated etchings:

Side A: PGE KUSH
Side B: SKYWALKER OG
Side C: CW PIS ROMULAN (if anybody can translate what this means (not the Romulan part obviously))
Side D: SUPER LEMON HAZE

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 27, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Ummm, so I just found an original pressing of Led Zeppelin II in decent condition for $7. It has one small scratch on the A side but is otherwise perfect. I need to go back to that dealer and scour the rest of his collection for more gems tomorrow, the store was about to close as I got there.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

MrSargent posted:

Ummm, so I just found an original pressing of Led Zeppelin II in decent condition for $7. It has one small scratch on the A side but is otherwise perfect. I need to go back to that dealer and scour the rest of his collection for more gems tomorrow, the store was about to close as I got there.
Does it say “RS/SS” in the dead wax? Those Bob Ludwig discs are supposed to be superb.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

Does it say “RS/SS” in the dead wax? Those Bob Ludwig discs are supposed to be superb.

It looks like it has RL / SS in the dead wax, is it actually a different pressing?

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

It looks like it has RL / SS in the dead wax, is it actually a different pressing?
Not really, it’s the same thing. I’ll trade you my Columbia House copy :)

Robert Ludwig mastered it “hot” at Sterling Sound, which caused the stylus to jump out of the groove on cheap turntables. Atlantic’s president ordered a remaster which wasn’t as dynamic. Since I’ve never heard this fabled pressing, I have no opinion of it, but good on you!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

Robert Ludwig mastered it “hot” at Sterling Sound, which caused the stylus to jump out of the groove on cheap turntables. Atlantic’s president ordered a remaster which wasn’t as dynamic. Since I’ve never heard this fabled pressing, I have no opinion of it, but good on you!

Was that a thing with just the second album or is it some of the others too?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ludwig only did II and HotH as far as I know.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/thevinylfactory/status/989823371222372352?s=21

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Well, I finished putting it together, but I'm left with 3 tonearms and a random dial.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

Sell it to some old dude as a hot stamper for hundreds

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Southern Lord's reissuing Earths Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull: https://southernlord.com/store/the-bees-made-honey-in-the-lions-skull/

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 28, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Barry posted:

Sell it to some old dude as a hot stamper for hundreds

I’m actually considering this to help fund my vinyl collection. I found an estate sale with 14 boxes of records from the 50s-70s that the seller only wants a couple hundred for that I have my eye on. There’s probably 500+ records in the collection.

With vinyl seeing a resurgence lately, I have thought about trying to get into selling records as a way of funding my collection. Please tell me if this is a stupid idea.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

caligulamprey posted:

Southern Lord's reissuing Earths Bee's Made Honey in the Lion's Skull: https://southernlord.com/store/the-bees-made-honey-in-the-lions-skull/

Thanks pal, couldn't resist snagging that.

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 27, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ok, so I listened to the Zeppelin album and with a little maintenance, I think it will play pretty well. It has scratches on both sides, but I didn't notice any pops or hissing when the needle ran over those spots. The only issue seems to be that the disc is slightly warped in one part and sometimes when the needle went over the hump, it would jump a bit. If I just flatten the disc, it should play really well and retain good value. It really sounds great, though, I don't know if I want to part with it haha.

pwn
May 27, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I’m actually considering this to help fund my vinyl collection. I found an estate sale with 14 boxes of records from the 50s-70s that the seller only wants a couple hundred for that I have my eye on. There’s probably 500+ records in the collection.

With vinyl seeing a resurgence lately, I have thought about trying to get into selling records as a way of funding my collection. Please tell me if this is a stupid idea.
The reason your record is scratched is because of those aforementioned cheap needles skidding across its surface. There were 200,000 of these discs pressed; copies that aren’t scuffed-up are the ones you can sell to Rich Dads.

Try to flatten it out and enjoy your record

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

The reason your record is scratched is because of those aforementioned cheap needles skidding across its surface. There were 200,000 of these discs pressed; copies that aren’t scuffed-up are the ones you can sell to Rich Dads.

Try to flatten it out and enjoy your record

Fair enough! Thanks a lot for the information dude. I am really new to the whole idea of collecting rare vinyl, this really started from my interest in making sample-based hip hop music and I wanted to dig through the same records that some of the pioneers of hip hop went through. And now I am obsessed and can't stop.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

MrSargent posted:

you'd make more money getting a second job at a gas station than trying to sell records from estate sales

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

you'd make more money getting a second job at a gas station than trying to sell records from estate sales

Don't listen to a loving 311 fan, you should try your luck at that estate sale :)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

But see, I'm already collecting records and I really enjoy it. I'm not looking for a second income, just a little extra cash to spend on records each month. Like even if it only averaged out to like $100/month or so, that is still more money to spend on records and I don't think I would need to put in much more time than I already am on collecting.

Mike_V posted:

Don't listen to a loving 311 fan, you should try your luck at that estate sale :)

I chuckled.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Obviously I don't know what sort of activities you enjoy, per se, but to anyone normal selling dad pop records online, haggling about postage prices, mailing them and replying to endless queries about mailing them --- that's not a fun way to make 25 bucks a week to normal people

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s no better way to kill enjoyment of a hobby than to try make money from it.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Did someone say "vinyl-only Japanese deep house?"

If you're into the oldies, I also found one of my white whales.

Count stands at 30, but I don't have high hopes for the last store so that may be the grand total.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'm probably making it out to be less work than it is, but I wasn't planning on doing the online selling thing unless it was a rare record worth a good amount. I was mostly going to just keep an eye out for estate sales or people trying to unload a lot of records, and then flip them to one of the several collectors I know in the area. I mean, that one estate sale basically had 600 jazz/blues/rock records at 75 cents a pop. Am I underestimating the difficulty at turning a small profit?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why does it look like it was designed by the Ghostbusters?

MrSargent posted:

But see, I'm already collecting records and I really enjoy it. I'm not looking for a second income, just a little extra cash to spend on records each month. Like even if it only averaged out to like $100/month or so, that is still more money to spend on records and I don't think I would need to put in much more time than I already am on collecting.

It depends heavily on what's in those boxes. Most records from that era are unsalable garbage that's cluttering up thrift stores. If it's all show tunes and Herb Alpert you're basically throwing money out the window unless you really like show tunes and Herb Alpert. Even if there's a bunch of popular artists in there I'm guessing it's not going to be the whole collection and then it's dependent on condition. I'm not saying that it's impossible to make money here, but 200 bucks is already pretty steep for a bunch of estate sale records unless it's a superb collection and/or you have enough savvy to turn that into a profit. Keep in mind that the whole "VINYL REVIVAL!!!!" is a thing everyone is trying to make money off of right now, so the guy selling them is well aware that people are paying good money for some records and is probably trying to gouge you on them.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Why do you assume that you'll be getting records anyone wants to buy, and why do you assume you know what the records are that anyone wants to buy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Why do you assume that you'll be getting records anyone wants to buy, and why do you assume you know what the records are that anyone wants to buy

That's basically what I'm saying. It's possible to make money selling records, but you've really got to know your poo poo and whatever this estate sale guy has is most likely a bunch of junk or he'd want way more money for it because I've never met an estate sale dealer that wasn't some sleazy price gouging poo poo merchant.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

The seller has no issues with me looking at the collection first so I won't exactly be buying blind. They are going to send a partial list tomorrow so I can gauge whether to take the time to go inspect them in person. You are right though that I don't have a great idea of what records will be easy to sell. I guess that's the whole reason I am asking the question. I mean even if I don't end up selling any, if I like the collection I will gladly pay a couple hundred bucks and keep them.

Edit: Ok maybe I threw you off with the "estate sale" name, but this is just some woman selling her dad's collection after he passed away.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Those can go either way. I've had someone say take what you want and pay what you think is fair because they don't want to deal with it and others who want $80 for Elvis compilations because he's Elvis.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

That's true, I don't really get that vibe from this seller but who knows. The point was that I can choose whether to buy them or not after looking through them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Southern Lord's reissuing Earths Bee's Made Honey in the Lion's Skull: https://southernlord.com/store/the-bees-made-honey-in-the-lions-skull/

gently caress. Sold out while I was typing in my info. edit: Managed to score the small shirt combo. Wife gets shirt. I get one of my favorite albums. But still.... I hate the whole add item to cart, go through the whole checkout process, lol nevermind we sold it.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 28, 2018

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

MrSargent posted:

That's true, I don't really get that vibe from this seller but who knows. The point was that I can choose whether to buy them or not after looking through them.

Oh yeah you'd be a fool to not at least look at it. I just appreciate the initial bemusement when people find out that people want to buy records again followed by the immediate gauging because they have no clue what they're doing.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Records as a side hustle is a giant pain in the rear end and requires a shitload of specialized knowledge. I funded a big chunk of my collecting through grip-n-flip of genre marginalia (I don't think I've sold someone a major label LP, ever) and getting an eye for this poo poo and knowing chud is tough. It's totally not worth it unless you're already / going to become a goblin. Like, I don't think you realize how deep the well is.

Find poo poo you like, buy poo poo that looks interesting, if you're going down the DITC / Dusty Fingers route you're starting at then be happy to find Rasputin's Stash or that Bob James with the open drums. Speculative buying or trying to flip major label dad rock even to friends is a pain.

edit, here's some records for content

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 28, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Appreciate the feedback. I think for now I'm just going to keep collecting the way I have been, by digging through collections on the floors of antique/thrift stores. Is there a resource somewhere that would be helpful for cluing me in on some of the stuff I should be keeping an eye out for sampling? I don't mind getting stuff that has already been sampled in popular tracks, in fact I really like collecting those pieces of hip-hop history. I feel like I have touched on a lot of the well-known ones but I know I there is a ton I don't know. I watch a lot of Crate Diggers episodes and pick up on things from those and visit whosampled to look up my favorite tracks. If there are other resources for this kinda thing, please let me know!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I would like to sell off some of my more valuable records that I don't care much about, but selling records online scares me. Just the whole grading and shipping process seems like a pain, and then having to deal with someone receiving a record and saying it skips when they play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

oh man this rules