Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The fossil fuel industry is a cancer on society. Having basically succeeded in pushing atmospheric carbon dioxide past the point of no return, their climate disinfo astroturfers are now stanning for white nationalists.

Science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Holy gently caress, Winnipeg is going to spend a quarter million on hosting street parties for the Jets by the end of next week

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/989586702128709632

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Stickarts posted:

Very cool. I can do my own research I suppose, but it would be nice if they linked to data/articles explaining the present and realistic future of each of the million different variables they let you play with.

If you click "How this model handles this policy" it gives you a statistical look on how the numbers are generated. Each one sort of has an extended blurb on what the policy actually is as well.

Stickarts posted:

Those drat cultural Marxists.

I will repeat my request from a month or go, but if anyone has a federal income/corporate tax slider in the same vein as that resource where you can adjust various rates to see corresponding revenue I would love to see it.

fake edit: Here's a couple I found that are close-ish, if you want to play with Canadian revenue.

Infrastructure deficit calculator:

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/infrastructure-calculator/

American budget version:

http://usa.v1.abalancingact.com/

Hilariously, the G and M has one of these from a few years back but, strangely, only lets you choose from a curated list of budget cuts? :thunk:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/the-budget-challenge-think-you-can-balance-ottawas-books/article9833169/

Oop - think I found one close to what I wanted. Government of Canada tool that lets you adjust various personal and corporate tax rates across various brackets to see corresponding revenue changes.

http://www.readyreckoner.ca/?locale=en-CA

This is cool, I love this poo poo. I wish the Government of Canada let me add more tax brackets and gave me a "90% tax on excessive wealth" option. :unsmigghh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Holy gently caress, Winnipeg is going to spend a quarter million on hosting street parties for the Jets by the end of next week

It's fine, they'll recoup the costs when the streets downtown are cleaned by the inevitable stream of tears.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Leofish posted:

This was answered by Rowan Atkinson over 30 years ago.

"I like curry, but now that we've got the recipe, is there really any need for them to stay?"

In other hot takes, Jonathan, Son of Barbara, is muting people on Twitter who is criticizing his latest column.

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/989458677789704192
https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/989524897058537472

I'd say he lost the right to be smug about schoolyard mom callouts the second he and he mom were regular columnists for the same paper

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Stickarts posted:

Those drat cultural Marxists.

I will repeat my request from a month or go, but if anyone has a federal income/corporate tax slider in the same vein as that resource where you can adjust various rates to see corresponding revenue I would love to see it.

fake edit: Here's a couple I found that are close-ish, if you want to play with Canadian revenue.

Infrastructure deficit calculator:

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/infrastructure-calculator/

American budget version:

http://usa.v1.abalancingact.com/

Hilariously, the G and M has one of these from a few years back but, strangely, only lets you choose from a curated list of budget cuts? :thunk:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/the-budget-challenge-think-you-can-balance-ottawas-books/article9833169/

Oop - think I found one close to what I wanted. Government of Canada tool that lets you adjust various personal and corporate tax rates across various brackets to see corresponding revenue changes.

http://www.readyreckoner.ca/?locale=en-CA

Hmm, I wonder where we might be able to raise some revenue to fund these things...

The CBC tool only lets me raise it by 3%, and the G&M by 2% :thunk:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Hmm, I wonder where we might be able to raise some revenue to fund these things...

The CBC tool only lets me raise it by 3%, and the G&M by 2% :thunk:

If you tax the job creators, they'll take their oil and leave.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love that the highest bracket only goes up to 35%, that's some weak rear end taxes.
I want something like:
Under 30k: 0%
30-40k: 20%
40-60k: 40%
60-100k: 60%
100-200k: 70%
200k-500k: 80%
500k+: 90%

Also where's the button to get rid of principal residence exemption? Investment income is investment income!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Winnipeg has its first challenger for the mayoral election in October and anti-pedestrian and anti-transit!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/motkaluk-winnipeg-mayor-campaign-1.4591750

quote:

Winnipeg business-development consultant Jenny Motkaluk i​s mulling a mayoral campaign that would appeal to voters unhappy with incumbent Brian Bowman's urbanist infrastructure-spending priorities.

Motkaluk, who ran for a council seat in 2010 but has never held public office, has spent several months meeting with potential supporters — including city councillors — as a prelude to a decision on a mayoral run.

She says she would cast herself as a critic of Bowman's efforts to expand rapid transit and reopen Portage and Main to pedestrians.

"It seems clear to me that the mayor's priorities are not aligned with the priorities of the public, they're not aligned with the priorities of ordinary families like mine and that's the fundamental reason why we would entertain this," Motkaluk said in an interview on Saturday at her home in the River Heights neighbourhood of Wellington Crescent.

She was referring to herself, her daughter and her husband Trevor Sprague — a former Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce chair who unsuccessfully ran as a Canadian Alliance candidate in the 2000 federal election.

Raised in the North End's Luxton neighbourhood, Motkaluk studied molecular biology in Montreal and Vancouver and worked in research-equipment sales before she became a business-development consultant.

She cites her work on securing funding for Murray Field at Dakota Collegiate as a professional achievement.

Motkaluk describes herself as being pro-business but non-partisan. She said she worked for the Manitoba Liberals in the 2011 provincial election and supported PC River Heights candidate Tracey Maconachie in the 2016 provincial election.

In the 2010 municipal election, she finished second to Ross Eadie in a wide-open ward race to succeed Harry Lazarenko in north Winnipeg's Mynarski ward.

Motkaluk said she's meeting with social, cultural and business groups to ensure she would have a sufficiently diverse base to challenge Bowman, who also had business and conservative ties before he ran for mayor in 2014.

"The question we have to answer is 'are we able to put together the broad coalition that we believe would be necessary to have a viable and successful campaign,'" Motkaluk said.

"As more Winnipeggers get to know me, they'll see that I've actually worked across a broad spectrum of organizations."

Motkaluk is already positioning herself as a populist foil to Bowman, who declared last week he will seek a second term this October.

"Opening Portage and Main is an interesting idea, but I think that the mayor is more focused on actually opening that intersection than he is on getting the best results for the infrastructure dollars we have in Winnipeg," Motkaluk said.

The city has not made a decision to reopen the intersection. Council voted in 2017 to devote $3.5 million toward infrastructure planning and improvements at Portage and Main, both below ground and above.

Nonetheless, the first barricade removals at Portage and Main will take place at northwest corner of the intersection this year, Bowman said Friday at his annual state of the city address.

Motkaluk also took aim at Bowman's support for rapid transit.

"I believe the mayor has his priority around opening more legs of rapid transit and not the priority of ensuring that the the service we're delivering today, to the people who rely on transit right now, is optimal," she said.

Despite this messaging, Motkaluk insists she has not made up her mind about seeking elected office.

"It's a humongous decision, because running for mayor and being the mayor are really serious undertakings," she said.

Brian Bowman is clearly out of touch with people who live on Wellington Crescent and support the Reform party!

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
The Pembina Institute policy scenario thingie is missing a Ban All Bitcoin Mining option

:colbert:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

That doesn't seem bad to me but I'm a Toronto elite so what do I know.

Seriously though I bet the economic boost to the neighborhood from these parties is triple that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/robshaw_vansun/status/989565239686381568

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Speaking of Toronto elites, Doug Ford is promising a recession caused by $6 billion in budget cuts :airquote: efficiencies :airquote:.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Boy am I glad upset that both the libs and conservatives think a pension fund is fair game

A pension is part of an employee's compensation :argh:

Now if you'll please excuse me I have clouds to yell at

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

tagesschau posted:

Speaking of Toronto elites, Doug Ford is promising a recession caused by $6 billion in budget cuts :airquote: efficiencies :airquote:.

If only he had a hydro distribution monopoly to sell, he could find that like right away. I guess there's LCBO and whatever else the OLP hasn't firesaled off yet. Offer corporate naming rights to public infrastructure first, billions right there. The radio guys would have to talk all morning about how the McDonald's valley parkway is moving smoothly. Good value.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I love that the highest bracket only goes up to 35%, that's some weak rear end taxes.
I want something like:
Under 30k: 0%
30-40k: 20%
40-60k: 40%
60-100k: 60%
100-200k: 70%
200k-500k: 80%
500k+: 90%

Also where's the button to get rid of principal residence exemption? Investment income is investment income!!

Taxation is a bandaid that is evidence capitalism is broken. Let's just fix that

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that they're only covering about a third of it. I mean, it should be True North footing the entire bill but :lol: at that ever happening.

DariusLikewise posted:

Winnipeg has its first challenger for the mayoral election in October and anti-pedestrian and anti-transit!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/motkaluk-winnipeg-mayor-campaign-1.4591750

Brian Bowman is clearly out of touch with people who live on Wellington Crescent and support the Reform party!

My expectations for him were pretty low, but Bowman has been better than expected. I'm not sure i'll vote for him, but if there isn't a decent candidate from the left, then I probably will.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If UWaterloo wanted an easy way to prevent some stupid nazi debate, say they'll allow it but insist it has to be outside on one of the few remaining campus green spaces and just watch as the hordes of brutal murder geese take care of the problem.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
During the summer the geese outnumber students by a huge margin.

They're also indeed full of murder.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You mean to say gaggle, murder is crows

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You don't really need to use murder as an adjective for geese. It's already implicit in the animal's name. Geese are only second to swans in terms of rear end in a top hat birds.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

DariusLikewise posted:

If you click "How this model handles this policy" it gives you a statistical look on how the numbers are generated. Each one sort of has an extended blurb on what the policy actually is as well.

This is cool, I love this poo poo. I wish the Government of Canada let me add more tax brackets and gave me a "90% tax on excessive wealth" option. :unsmigghh:

You honestly expect me to read???

But yeah the baked in ideological assumptions of those were almost as interesting to me as the number crunching. That graph pitttheelder posted is fa sho a go to of mine. Crazy what 35 years can do to collective memory.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If UWaterloo wanted an easy way to prevent some stupid nazi debate, say they'll allow it but insist it has to be outside on one of the few remaining campus green spaces and just watch as the hordes of brutal murder geese take care of the problem.

Geese are the true masters of the area, human presence is barely tolerated around the church colleges.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hot take inbound but "Toronto Strong" is a stupid and pathetic slogan because we couldn't even come up with our own, we just took an American one and swapped names.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I spent seven years at UW. One year a goose pinned a rare wild turkey in a courtyard and traumatized it till it decided that it's best escape was to try to fly through a plate glass window into the English building. It shattered the window, severed an artery and bled out on the hallway floor.

Bullying an animal until it kills itself is the most goose thing I've ever seen.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BattleMaster posted:

Hot take inbound but "Toronto Strong" is a stupid and pathetic slogan because we couldn't even come up with our own, we just took an American one and swapped names.

What american one did we jack, I thought we stole it from #HumboldtStrong

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

It's amazing how easy it is to fix everything by raising taxes on the rich by even a minuscule amount. You don't even have to go near historic levels to get a surplus. Really shows how much of a non-problem most of the countries money related issues are. The rich just would rather burn the country down than pay even a penny.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

xtal posted:

What american one did we jack, I thought we stole it from #HumboldtStrong

Boston Strong after the Boston Marathon bombings

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BattleMaster posted:

You're just further proof of our famous slogan: Toronto vs Everybody.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm from Toronto and my dad lives like right next to the area the attack happened and I checked up on him to make sure he wasn't caught in it, but I wish we could actually come up with our own slogans

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

BattleMaster posted:

this is super on brand for toronto tho

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I always forget that Boston was the origin considering the number of AlbertaStrong stickers on the windows of trucks here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BattleMaster posted:

I'm from Toronto and my dad lives like right next to the area the attack happened and I checked up on him to make sure he wasn't caught in it, but I wish we could actually come up with our own slogans

Or just not even have a slogan in the first place. Mass murder doesn't need a merch table.

Dibs on "Murder at the Merch Table" by the way. Could be a good name for a song or detective novel.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As the thread's resident murder mystery author, I approve.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BattleMaster posted:

ehhh I think people are just trying to fulfill the script of how to react after a massacre happens in their city, based on what they absorb from the media after other tragedies. That's why even today, 3 days after the attack, I still see people checking in as 'safe' on facebook.

Sure it seems a bit silly to me, but if it brings people some measure of comfort after something horrific then I think I'm probably the rear end in a top hat for being judgmental about it.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 27, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lobok posted:

Or just not even have a slogan in the first place. Mass murder doesn't need a merch table.

Dibs on "Murder at the Merch Table" by the way. Could be a good name for a song or detective novel.

This is actually probably more how I feel about it, but also

Reince Penis posted:

ehhh I think people are just trying to fulfill the script of how to react after a massacre happens in their city, based on what they absorb from the media after other tragedies. That's why even today, 3 days after the attack, I still see people checking in as 'safe' on facebook.

Sure it seems a bit silly to me, but if it brings people some measure of comfort after something horrific then I think I'm probably the rear end in a top hat for being judgmental about it.

This is true too so I'll stop being an rear end in a top hat about it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
When can we superimpose our Facebook profile photos with a semi-transparent... Maple Leafs Raptors logo?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

CRISPYBABY posted:

I spent seven years at UW. One year a goose pinned a rare wild turkey in a courtyard and traumatized it till it decided that it's best escape was to try to fly through a plate glass window into the English building. It shattered the window, severed an artery and bled out on the hallway floor.

Bullying an animal until it kills itself is the most goose thing I've ever seen.

The geese are a loving menace

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

WilliamAnderson posted:

The geese are a loving menace

Yeah they dont care who is watching or where they are.

We should make the goose the official symbol of the Conservative party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Furnaceface posted:

We should make the goose the official symbol of the Conservative party.

:agreed: