Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

That being said browser devs are a bunch of juvenile fuckups and so are the people who manage them.

please don't sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Malcolm XML posted:

elm is one dude at one companies pet project and gently caress you if you don't follow his rules

Elm has some nice toys/tooling that comes with it, but it’s also hard to do real things with it and the people who own the project aren’t really bothered by that. note that the last elm release was in November of 2016 and it was for v0.18 which is basically still an alpha version of the language. surely v0.19 is going to be a huge release with a ton of killer features then, right?

quote:

The major focus of 0.19 will be creating “single-page apps” in Elm. The features that fall under that umbrella include:

Server-side rendering — sending HTML with the initial response
Tree shaking — trimming out unused code (usually called dead-code elimination or DCE)
Code splitting — cutting up code into smaller chunks for better caching
Lazy loading — only sending the code chunks needed for a particular page

This basically means that an Elm single-page app will be getting more efficient to serve.

none of these things are bad features, but there’s a ton of stuff that still needs fixing/figuring out in the current release that has nothing to do with SPAs

why are things moving so slowly? well:

quote:

First, when it comes to language design, I think doing things right is far more valuable than doing things right now
this is obviously in conflict with the fact that they’ve *already* reworked the core language design as well changed/modified/outright removed much of the stdlib

I don’t recommend elm to anyone anymore because I can’t see it going anywhere in its current organizational state

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

eschaton posted:

perhaps they’re throwing us their hands because they care, and understand that web pages don’t need to run code

HTML Components sounds like some sort of “composing web pages together” thing so it probably makes sense to spend time on

but browser vendors should stop worrying about poo poo like Shadow DOM and Service Workers, web pages don’t need either of those things because web pages are for presenting hierarchical text documents, not for running code

:lol: oh you're one of those people

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

:lol: oh you're one of those people

Sane people, you mean?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
not only is the horse out of the barn, it's died of thirst and the buzzards are picking it's bones

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Web components and shadow DOM (ok fine I'll stop mixing it up with virtual DOM) suck

Google made their own library version of this concept called Polymer and used it to rebuild the YouTube UI. It kind of blows tbh. Google just will not stop trying to gently caress that data binding chicken when it has been established that React is objectively the correct way to do things. Standardize JSX in a library-neutral way instead imo.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
do other langs have their own react-like ui libraries? i'm curious since a lot of people seem to like .net's wpf, which runs off two- way data binding (i think, could be wrong)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Sapozhnik posted:

Web components and shadow DOM (ok fine I'll stop mixing it up with virtual DOM) suck

Google made their own library version of this concept called Polymer and used it to rebuild the YouTube UI. It kind of blows tbh. Google just will not stop trying to gently caress that data binding chicken when it has been established that React is objectively the correct way to do things. Standardize JSX in a library-neutral way instead imo.

I'll bite, what does "objectively the correct way to do things" mean in your conception of things?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it means that obviously the latest flavor of the week framework is the Objectively Correct way to do things, and the previous week's framework was not Correct even though we said it was then, and it is not possible for any future week to ever have a more Correct framework, DUH

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it means that obviously the latest flavor of the week framework is the Objectively Correct way to do things, and the previous week's framework was not Correct even though we said it was then, and it is not possible for any future week to ever have a more Correct framework, DUH

tyvm, very illuminating

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i agree with the sentiment, but for the sake of clarity i just wanted to point out that react is 5 years old

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

did anyone post the new go ~branding~?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

a witch posted:

https://twitter.com/DRMacIver/status/989622927653048321

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Serious request: if react is so objectively correct, how should I use it with forms and input elements, TIA

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
god forbid i post hyperbolic statements in the serious computer forum

angular and polymer are built around data binding, and there is a general mvc flavor to the way they do things. they are very stateful, and mvc is a bad abstraction. statefulness is bad in general if you can avoid it and bad in particular when you have a bunch of asynchronous updates flying around, as you do when building client side web applications.

react is imo an actually novel way of building user interfaces and i hope the ideas behind it gain traction. you program as if your ui were created anew in response to every event and you let the runtime handle the actual bookkeeping of updating the world to match your new desired state.

as for building forms and input elements, depends on the form, depends on the input elements. specifically it depends on what kind of state those inputs control and what other things care about that state.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also it is worth mentioning that react has been extremely stable for most of its life span, which is a rare virtue in javascript land. there was a major change in v16 that totally rewired the guts of the library, and its api... had no compatibility-breaking changes whatsoever. yes there are going to be some changes to edge case life cycle events later on, and there are some changes to the context mechanism coming down the pipe, which is something that higher-level frameworks and not applications ought to rely on. but for the most part the project actually appears to operate under adult supervision, and the core ideas behind it are proven to be sound.

compare it to angular.... lol.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
has anyone tried reasonml? it is kind of like if ocaml and js had a baby.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's more like if ocaml had a new syntax which was inspired by js because apparently js devs can't handle let..in and the lack of curlyboys

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

noice

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

There's only two reasons Google open source their toolkits: they are not important enough to keep proprietary, or they want to displace an established standard for their own benefit.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sapozhnik posted:

also it is worth mentioning that react has been extremely stable for most of its life span, which is a rare virtue in javascript land. there was a major change in v16 that totally rewired the guts of the library, and its api... had no compatibility-breaking changes whatsoever. yes there are going to be some changes to edge case life cycle events later on, and there are some changes to the context mechanism coming down the pipe, which is something that higher-level frameworks and not applications ought to rely on. but for the most part the project actually appears to operate under adult supervision, and the core ideas behind it are proven to be sound.

compare it to angular.... lol.

i don't actively use react, but it also seems like most of the conceptual changes in how you use react over the years have been doubling-down on react's core design and removing escape hatches that seemed necessary at first rather than actual changes in direction.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

a witch posted:

Thanks. The new branding is hilariously bad (much like the language).

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
https://storage.googleapis.com/golang-assets/go-brand-book-v1.0.pdf

this is the most :effort: branding package i think i've ever seen

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My public university has better branding than that :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wheres the bullshit lines showing you how the logo was carefully constructed from the golden ratio

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
you don't understand, it's cleverly deliberately primitive so that google's world class designers aesthetic engineering team can comprehend and work with it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Soricidus posted:

agreed, it's pretty sweet. for example why would you want to install a dedicated rss app when you can just use google reader
every time someone talks about how awesome a new google service is and how it will change the world, i remind them that they wouldn't even keep an rss reader alive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

the shutdown of reader stung, but in a way it was good as several other projects got a big boost from reader's closure.

i self-host tiny tiny rss now which is like google reader++

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:hmmyes:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Leck posted:

every time someone talks about how awesome a new google service is and how it will change the world, i remind them that they wouldn't even keep an rss reader alive.
iirc nobody was able to find a working business model around rss so google can't exactly be faulted for that

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Thermopyle posted:

the shutdown of reader stung, but in a way it was good as several other projects got a big boost from reader's closure.

i self-host tiny tiny rss now which is like google reader++

seconding tiny tiny rss

it really is so good

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gazpacho posted:

iirc nobody was able to find a working business model around rss so google can't exactly be faulted for that
f only there was a way to monetize people still kvetching about google reader.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mike12345 posted:

seconding tiny tiny rss

it really is so good

quote:

Tiny Tiny RSS is a free RSS feed reader. It is a web application which must be installed on a web server.
Written in: PHP

nope

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
It is possible to write v. Good software in PHP!

(You shouldn’t tho)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
probably but i'm an unrepentant programming language racist

to start a new project in php in the last (conservatively) ten years is to demonstrate staggering ignorance or poor judgment.

and i am really looking forward to the day when that becomes true for c++, at least outside the games industry, but that fucker behemoth has just way too much inertia.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 28, 2018

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sapozhnik posted:

to start a new project in php in the last (conservatively) ten years is to demonstrate staggering ignorance or poor judgment.

and i am really looking forward to the day when that becomes true for c++, at least outside the games industry, but that fucker behemoth has just way too much inertia.

rust will supplant it. all hail the rust, glory to Mozilla

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The “inertia” of having to run code on an actual cpu at some point

Keep in mind that if c++ gets replaced, all trends point to js as the replacement

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Sapozhnik posted:

first commit was in 2005 so maybe it's excusable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

tiny tiny rss is really old

edit: oh yeah ^^