Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's simultaneously very funny to see people overstretch their investment portfolio and take dodgy loans get their comeuppance, and very sad that 10 years after GFC we're still in messes like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://getup.to/rlgq5cEwNFK3XcJN8

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Boomer investors get refunds, meanwhile welfare is probably gonna get cut in the next budget :sweatdrop:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Getup website looks like clickhole.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dunno signing a blank form, one that probably says 'the information i have supplied is accurate and true' and thinking you arent doing anything wrong and thinking there would be no consequences/expecting someone to bail you out is pretty loving stupid IMO.

Equally evil on the lenders behalf, but it seems like most people that are getting into the market are doing it only just by the skin of their teeth if they are doing it by their own means.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
If it’s loving stupid but the bail out will probably happen.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Although it will cause a tremendous amount of suffering I'm sort of willing the crash to happen sooner rather than later so we can just get the fucker over with and move on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I want to see struggling Aussies cry on tv I don't give a gently caress about anything else that happens.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We don't know if the form was completely blank or what, they did sign it without it being fully filled out though.

hiddenmovement posted:

Although it will cause a tremendous amount of suffering I'm sort of willing the crash to happen sooner rather than later so we can just get the fucker over with and move on.

Surely corporations and offshores with property would prop the market up enough that just some boomers getting screwed out of their investments won't cause a crash? What's the ratio of privately owned single investment properties to managed investment portfolios with lots of properties?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
When the hell did this thread go all Caveat Emptor

Next minute we'll be doing an unironic group reading of Atlas Shrugged ITT.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If there's one thing entitled leftie millennials posting online universally can't stand and hate vitriolically it is poorly educated Australians that self own.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

If there's one thing entitled leftie millennials posting online universally can't stand and hate vitriolically it is poorly educated Australians that self own.

And yet you’re still fuckin here

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I would gladly put as many of these people in gulags as necessary to institute full communism, but it’s seriously loving distasteful to get your lols from people who have been targeted and abused by predatory corporations FYI

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

I would gladly put as many of these people in gulags as necessary to institute full communism, but it’s seriously loving distasteful to get your lols from people who have been targeted and abused by predatory corporations FYI

:bahgawd:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

what if the predatory corporations only targetted the 1%?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

what if the predatory corporations only targetted the 1%?

These people are as far away from the 1% as the rest of us are, but if there were corporations doing that it'd be a drop in the bucket for them as well :(

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

we could do it properly but that takes effort so we'll do a bodge job then ignore the results anyway

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just loving lol if you think that anyone should be excused of responsibility wrt making sure a loving financial institution of all things is working in your best interests.

Blindly accepting information provided to you as accurate by anyone who makes a buck off what they are telling you is a huge self own.

this is not to say that its totally fine for the lender to do that! its really bad that this is probably a common method of getting a loan approved. Thats what the RC is for.

lets all remind ourselves that basically all these forms contain, right where you loving sign them, a big 'are you lying? is this information correct? YOU ARE GOING TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE IF YOU ARE LYING COS ITS FRAUD'

you cant (and sometimes shouldnt) protect people from themselves.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
gently caress boomers, but gently caress banks harder

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I want to know if there are any financial institutions coming out of the RC looking good or ethical. Anyone following it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

I want to know if there are any financial institutions coming out of the RC looking good or ethical. Anyone following it?

Bank of Queensland :colbert:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-27/canberra-police-assault-afp-act-policing/9703830

quote:

An Australia Day scuffle in which a police officer threatened to search a man for "being a smart-arse" has ended with two Australian Federal Police members found guilty of assault in the ACT Magistrates Court.

During discussions with the driver, the pair turned their attention to the backseat passenger, setting off the exchange.
Constable Head threatened to arrest the victim after accusing him of interrupting their conversation with the driver.
"If you do not shut up your mouth I'll pull you out and arrest you," he said.
"I'll be searching you for being a smart-arse."
And then he ordered the victim to "get the f*** out of the car right now".
The court heard the two officers then grabbed the man by the arm and the head and propelled him to the ground before handcuffing him.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Literally nobody in this thread is excusing boomers for lovely fraudulent loans.

We're just accepting that we'll be shouldering the burden for their mistakes, just like global warming, Howard-era privatisations, etc.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

When the hell did this thread go all Caveat Emptor

Next minute we'll be doing an unironic group reading of Atlas Shrugged ITT.

Thread lusts for boomer death above all else.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i think the rich come before boomers in maslow's hierarchy of deaths

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Years later and still mad as gently caress about Indi

Former Liberal frontbencher Sophie Mirabella has broken down several times as she told a jury of the "gut-wrenching" fall-out from a newspaper article that accused her of physically pushing a political rival.

Mrs Mirabella is suing north-east Victorian newspaper the Benalla Ensign and its then-editor for defamation over an article it published in the lead-up to the 2016 federal election.

The story was published while Mrs Mirabella, the former member for Indi, fought to regain the seat from Independent MP Cathy McGowan.

The story claimed Mrs Mirabella had pushed Ms McGowan out of a photo opportunity with the Minister for Aged Care, Ken Wyatt, at the opening of a nursing home in Benalla.

On the second day of the County Court trial in Wangaratta, Mrs Mirabella said she felt sick when she was alerted to the article accusing her of "assault".

"This was accusing me of pushing an older woman … who could be … looks like she's old enough to be an elder citizen, a grandmother," she said.

"I knew this was devastating ... this would go viral.

"You've got an election campaign, you've got all these newspapers saying Indi is a seat to watch and bang — here's a journalist, Libby Price, 30-year journalist at the ABC … she was probably respected more than other ABC journalists by the traditional conservative voter, and she had written this," Mrs Mirabella said.

Article was the 'last straw'
The court heard that one of Mrs Mirabella's staffers called Price on the morning the article was published to correct the story, and ask why she hadn't been contacted for comment.

"Libby Price responded, 'Well, she would have denied it anyway'," Mrs Mirabella said.

"I was just beside myself because I've never come across a journalist who's responded in that way."

Mrs Mirabella believed the story would "totally blacken" her name.

"I'm not a sensitive, delicate wallflower … and I've put up with a lot of stuff, but this was the last straw, to be called someone who pushes, assaults other women, it was disgusting," Mrs Mirabella said as she began to cry on the witness stand.

She said it was "gut-wrenching" because she knew if the newspaper didn't correct the story, she had no way to clear her name.

The court heard Mrs Mirabella soon engaged a lawyer to send a letter to the Benalla Ensign to request a retraction and apology, but neither was given until six months later.

The newspaper has admitted it got the story wrong but denies it was defamatory.

Mrs Mirabella said she felt "totally and utterly powerless" as the story was picked up by major news outlets including The Australian newspaper, ABC News, the Sydney Morning Herald and the Huffington Post.

Jury hears of photo dispute
The court also heard evidence about the media event at Kooinda nursing home in Benalla where the incident was reported to have taken place.

Mrs Mirabella said she had tried to convince Mr Wyatt not to have a photograph with Ms McGowan.

"We couldn't have the perpetuation of this myth that Ms McGowan was Liberal-lite," she said.

"That's what she'd been doing and it would be helpful in our campaign not to assist in that regard and he'd told me that he'd already said he'd have a photo with her."

Mrs Mirabella said she told Mr Wyatt to tell Ms McGowan he didn't have time for a photo and she accompanied him to deliver the message.

"We walk up to face Cathy and she's standing in front of the plaque and Ken says to her, 'Sorry, I don't have time for a photo'," Mrs Mirabella said.

"And she said, 'Oh well, it's OK, it'll only take a minute' and turned to me and said, 'You don't mind Sophie, do you?'

"I said, 'Since you've asked, yes I do mind Cathy. If you wanted to have promotional material with a Liberal minister, you should have run for preselection'.

"She huffed and turned her back and I said, 'It's OK Cathy, it's OK'," Mrs Mirabella told the jury.

Mrs Mirabella said all parties involved left the nursing home for other meetings and that "no-one at any time suggested that I'd pushed Cathy McGowan".

Lawyers for the Benalla Ensign have told the court Mr Wyatt will give evidence that Mrs Mirabella put her hands on his chest and prevented him from taking part in the photograph.

Mrs Mirabella continues to give evidence at the trial, which is expected to run for six days.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I think it is fair to say the banks that were fraudulent in their conduct should pay back any losses incurred through securing dodgy loans for people unable to afford them. I don't think the public should pay for it. I think those who filled in the blanks on those contracts should be charged with fraud.

I rather think some people should be doing jail time for this. There's a very clear paper trail in place, let's make these bankers pay. And then lets use those sweet, sweet fines to set up a National Australian Bank of some sort.

Wait...

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

some sort of bank, for the common wealth of all australians

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I don't think that the victims being boomers, or the victims being dumb as hell, gullible believers of the 'Im with St George, we'll look after you :)' propaganda, excuses the banks and I think we should recognise how sleazy and predatory it is by both fining the hell out of the banks, and forcing them to forgive the loan.

Gonna lol at them crying tho

Edit: assuming there is proof of getting them to sign a blank form anyway

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Konomex posted:

I think it is fair to say the banks that were fraudulent in their conduct should pay back any losses incurred through securing dodgy loans for people unable to afford them. I don't think the public should pay for it. I think those who filled in the blanks on those contracts should be charged with fraud.

I rather think some people should be doing jail time for this. There's a very clear paper trail in place, let's make these bankers pay. And then lets use those sweet, sweet fines to set up a National Australian Bank of some sort.

Wait...

Like something run for the common wealth of every day Australians?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

bell jar posted:

:argh:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

starkebn posted:

Like something run for the common wealth of every day Australians?

Sounds like communism to me

*AFP busts down the door*

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bell jar posted:

"Common weal" :eng101:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bell jar posted:

A bank for all peoples from Australia and, you know what, hell lets throw in those New Zealanders too.

Maybe we could go a step further and make a bank that caters to all peoples in the Western Pacific.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Glanced at the rc on the guardian today, everyone's been accused of breaking the corporation act.

Blood for the blood God

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm really over people being "gutted" about things. It's the go to buzz word of "look how sad I am" and it's really annoying.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I'm really over people being "gutted" about things. It's the go to buzz word of "look how sad I am" and it's really annoying.

I'm just gutted by this post.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Clem ford explaining the incel movement to Phillip Adams on Late Night Live.
It's breaking my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'm psure that in Australia, if the bank forges loan documents without your knowledge, then basically the mortgage is waived and you get to keep the property lol

• Locked thread