Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Thanks peeps :) You're all great.

Edit: what a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Bunni-kat posted:

You're all great.

a good snipe

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ate all the Oreos posted:

the thing my wife has reported as bothering her the most is when her coworkers talk openly about super transphobic poo poo in the news (and boy do they have some horrible and downright bizarre opinions from what she's told me). she's too non-confrontational and shy to go to HR about it or complain at all though, so you'll probably be able to handle that a bit better :shrug:

Florida is a poo poo hole

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Poniard posted:

i'm trying to figure out what i am but i never talk about it because i dont want to step on any toes

that is okay! you're questioning your queerness and trust me it was a huge pain to do that especially in my case since i dwelled on it for two decades. it doesn't hurt to talk out your feelings and offer your perspective on how you're questioning everything

ask questions too! a lot of us know where you're coming from <3

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Poniard posted:

i'm trying to figure out what i am but i never talk about it because i dont want to step on any toes

I sat for years with trans people around me when I could have talked to them because "I'm afraid of being a bother and a creepy person trying to intrude with lots of questions"

If you want to talk in private or pm's or something I'd be completely open, if you're trying to figure out yourself don't think you're stepping on toes if you don't know where you are.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Forer posted:

I sat for years with trans people around me when I could have talked to them because "I'm afraid of being a bother and a creepy person trying to intrude with lots of questions"

If you want to talk in private or pm's or something I'd be completely open, if you're trying to figure out yourself don't think you're stepping on toes if you don't know where you are.

I'm in the same boat. I am more than happy to chat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That's literally what this thread is for. Please ask away!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also gonna restate that i'm happy to talk in PM's or whatever about anything too, even if you're not queer or questioning or anything and are just not sure if your post could be a bit iffy, or maybe you want to ask a question about something that doesn't really belong in this thread, stuff like that :shobon:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i'm gonna have to buy plat for lowtax's cyborg spine to avoid writing a 500 page essay here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'd also give out my email address for people without plat but i get the feeling that if i do that i'll just wind up with a bunch of hi-larious ~trolling~ attempts from butthurt fitness thread guy

also lowtax needs to pay for that new spine anyway so :colbert:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shifty Pony posted:

the most charitable explanation for Hired asking about orientation and gender identity is they want to have the ability to use it to do research into whether employers discriminate based on those things (yes is the answer to that question).

the reason I would never fill them in is because I have zero confidence that they understand just how dangerous that information is and how important it is to keep it from leaking because someone who did understand that wouldn't be asking for that information in the first place. to me the questions feel like the work of people for whom everyone knowing their gender identity and orientation would merit a "whoopsie-doodle, haha" instead of fear for their own personal safety.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

That is the least professional thing I have ever seen.

also gonna restate that i'm happy to talk in PM's or whatever about anything too,

I also am happy for PMs, with the caveat I know jack about squat. But hey, sometimes it helps to talk to someone who doesn't know anything if you don't know anything either!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I like your new username. :3:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

WrenP-Complete posted:

I like your new username. :3:

Thank you! :blush:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
today is lesbian visibility day

i made out with one of my partners last night so i am disappointed i cannot be a visible dyke today since i am going to derby practice instead

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
ah, the three genders

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bunni-kat posted:

That is the least professional thing I have ever seen.

it's not the real one :ssh:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

it's not the real one :ssh:

I was talking about the real one I’d seen. I just hate typing and searching while I’m on my phone.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Hey, you. Yeah. You’re a good person. Just wanted to let you know.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

turn on your monitor

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Poniard posted:

i'm gonna have to buy plat for lowtax's cyborg spine to avoid writing a 500 page essay here

Here, I'm stupid, how about this.

Send a direct message to @FourRs2 on twitter. (Assuming you have one at least)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Do what I do, reg a throwaway Gmail account for your sa username

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

I figured I'd take a throwaway gmail account and use that but yeahhhhh I should just do that more.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Forer posted:

Here, I'm stupid, how about this.

Can I follow you on the tweeter?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i actually did this when i first signed up for SA but i was dumb and used it in a few other places and have a few things signed up through it now so shutting it down isn't an option anymore. plus it's for my old forums name that was terrible and which nobody remembers anyway

i'm not very good at throwaway accounts :sigh:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 27, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

plz dont post pictures of my resume

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i actually did this when i first signed up for SA but i was dumb and used it in a few other places and have a few things signed up through it now so shutting it down isn't an option anymore. plus it's for my old forums name that was terrible and which nobody remembers anyway

i'm not very good at throwaway accounts :sigh:

Mines outdated name wise but the key is that you only use it for sharing on sa and that it's not the email that your password resets go to. It takes discipline but it has made my life easier in terms of filtering creeps emailing me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yall I'm all out of true blood. Wtf do I watch for the next month

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

this is sort of a broad message: i get that some of you are allies (or perceive yourself as one), but you need to listen to those who identify as queer and not make your own assertions. there's a lot of sensitivity by those of us who are queer in whatever capacity and if you're cis, hetero, and especially white, you're going to come off as intrusive if you start to make statements that while in your own head may seem supportive but are otherwise are borderline or outright offensive
I’m a white cis hetero hopeful ally and basically this is what I have to keep telling myself. You’ll sometimes feel you have to “correct”/argue with someone, just loving don’t. You literally can’t put yourself in their shoes, so just stfu and listen.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 27, 2018

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

My suggestion for pure unadulterated trash to follow it up with: get absolutely stupid with Legends of Tomorrow

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

thanks for all the offers to talk, but it would have been a pain to write to each of you in separate channels.

I think my situation is pretty boring. Up until college I really only liked girls, but I fell for a few guys and figured I was bi. I have a much narrower "type" that I like in men than I do in women, though. more recently I got drunk and tried crossdressing and it felt normal. A past tip-off to this was when I was in a club and their hazing involved all the new people wearing a dress, which didn't bother me at all, but didn't really "awaken" anything either. I don't go out in public like this for the same reason I never show off what I'm working on. Too much of a work in progress. I'd have to get better at makeup and find some outfits that hide my adam's apple better. My main issue with myself is that my "normal" changes day to day and so I don't commit to anything. Today I feel cool at work wearing what a guy might normally wear, but tomorrow, who knows.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Poniard posted:

thanks for all the offers to talk, but it would have been a pain to write to each of you in separate channels.

I think my situation is pretty boring. Up until college I really only liked girls, but I fell for a few guys and figured I was bi. I have a much narrower "type" that I like in men than I do in women, though. more recently I got drunk and tried crossdressing and it felt normal. A past tip-off to this was when I was in a club and their hazing involved all the new people wearing a dress, which didn't bother me at all, but didn't really "awaken" anything either. I don't go out in public like this for the same reason I never show off what I'm working on. Too much of a work in progress. I'd have to get better at makeup and find some outfits that hide my adam's apple better. My main issue with myself is that my "normal" changes day to day and so I don't commit to anything. Today I feel cool at work wearing what a guy might normally wear, but tomorrow, who knows.

Oh hey 2/3 of this is me hello.

I've found I like light scarves and shawls if I'm feeling weird about what's going on at my neck, dresses in public are still just for queer & trans events mostly. I get the changing feel of what you want to wear on a given day, some days you just want all the pockets.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Poniard posted:

My plan was to like, because I have platinum people could PM me and then setup like a discord communication with you if you wanted to talk to people or people wanted to talk to you, and I could be a lil' intermediary to contact.

Also your statements: Sounds really valid to me, and I know a bunch of nonbinary people who would be open to talking too. Have you had anyone you felt comfortable with trying pronouns out?

For reference too, I'm 5 months in HRT and I still don't feel comfortable in public (for safety and security reasons) so that's very much not a requirement. Something else to mention is regardless of who you want to date that kinda doesn't really have anything to do with identity. Sometimes realizing genderfeel stuff lets you be more open but it isn't like a bomb going off "I'm trans that means I'm now suddenly into guys" pretty much.

so yeah :glomp: I'm sending my love your way, you don't have to sprint but just trying to find out you're not walking in a direction you like and reorienting is a big thing.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

when i was working retail between jobs i grew my hair out of laziness and plenty of people called me ma'am but i didn't care. i figured it's just an honest mistake for people not paying attention seeing someone from behind with long hair. the bit i wrote about my preferences was more to show that it was something i didn't have issue coming to terms with. my unfeeling about this contrasts with how it seems other people felt when figuring themselves out.

Poniard fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 27, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

I’m a white cis hetero hopeful ally and basically this is what I have to keep telling myself. You’ll sometimes feel you have to “correct”/argue with someone, just loving don’t. You literally can’t put yourself in their shoes, so just stfu and listen.

idk if i'd go that far, I think you can absolutely put yourself in our shoes and i'm really happy to see people try to understand each other that way, just like, don't think that cuz you wore those shoes for 5 minutes mentally you're now an authority on shoe fashions

i know this thread can look real hostile to allies sometimes just due to its nature but like, i totally appreciate all y'all :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Poniard posted:

sounds like you're genderfluid to me. if today you feel like a girl you be a girl, tomorrow you wanna be dude mode be dude mode, s'all good

Poniard posted:

when i was working retail between jobs i grew my hair out of laziness and plenty of people called me ma'am but i didn't care. i figured it's just an honest mistake for people not paying attention seeing someone from behind with long hair. the bit i wrote about my preferences was more to show that it was something i didn't have issue coming to terms with. my unfeeling about this contrasts with how it seems other people felt when figuring themselves out.

don't try to contrast yourself with how you think you "should" react to this or how other people react, everyone's an individual and has their own way of dealing with themselves. i know people who are thrilled when people automatically get their gender and really irritated when they don't, and i know people who just dgaf because to them it's more how they view themselves rather than how they want the world to view them, and they're both totally valid subjective realities :shrug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

idk if i'd go that far, I think you can absolutely put yourself in our shoes and i'm really happy to see people try to understand each other that way, just like, don't think that cuz you wore those shoes for 5 minutes mentally you're now an authority on shoe fashions
That's precisely what I was trying to say, sorry. You can probably imagine yourself in someone's shoes one time, dealing with one particular event, but you can't imagine what it's like dealing with the lifetime before that. It's the same policy I try to stick to when dealing/thinking about PoC-related issues.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

evil_bunnY posted:

That's precisely what I was trying to say, sorry. You can probably imagine yourself in someone's shoes one time, dealing with one particular event, but you can't imagine what it's like dealing with the lifetime before that. It's the same policy I try to stick to when dealing/thinking about PoC-related issues.

yeah. when it comes to persons of colour i very much do not attempt to speak on their behalf because i only know the surface of the problem

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Penny Dreadful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I settled on giving orphan black a try. I don't think anything is gonna scratch that swamp soap opera itch that true blood has created.