Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Loved the shot of Joe approaching Potemkin for the final blow.

Hope there's a montage where Sachio goes cold turkey on the boat now his supply is cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this show is fuckin good as hell holy poo poo

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

this show is fuckin good as hell holy poo poo

:yeah:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Is anyone else getting heavy Yoshiaki Kawajiri vibes from this show? I honestly just figured he was character designer till I looked it up.

This show really is like someone just found a 90's OVA in a time capsule.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I felt like this show was missing something, then I realised what it was.

A Manga Entertainment Dub.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/WeebSimpsons/status/988888813069066240

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Unironically this

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Unironically this

Let me explain:

In Megalo Box, dudes get punched, like, helluva hard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what if boxing, but sweet robot arms

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Kyte posted:

That extended shot of Joe's trembling hand got me wondering if he's already got brain injuries from all his rigged fights.

i'm sure it will come to pass that the reason he is constantly nearly killing himself on his bike is because his flashbacks are actually microseizures due to CTI rather than just a side effect of his intensely focused nature

or maybe not, but this is my headcanon and i like the way it works so far. man wear robot suit, punch other mans, show good.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Going into this not knowing Ashita no Joe might actually be an excellent way to watch this now I think about it. Considering what happens I'd imagine watching this with no preconceptions could be a massive ride for some, kind of like that between people who read Game of Thrones and those who only watch it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm completely unfamiliar with Joe except for the oft-referenced final panel, which I don't think you can be unfamiliar with unless this is your first anime. :v:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Popo posted:

Going into this not knowing Ashita no Joe might actually be an excellent way to watch this now I think about it. Considering what happens I'd imagine watching this with no preconceptions could be a massive ride for some, kind of like that between people who read Game of Thrones and those who only watch it.

There's so many cool visual nods that I think it will be exciting for anyone who started here to go.to Joe and for people who know Joe.to watch this

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Liking the music from the mitt training session.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"Gearless" Joe, eh?

Good ring name.

Noticing every episode's got die or death in the title. Not exactly being subtle, are we, Megalo Box?

Anyway, this week was great. As expected.

Kind of surprised that two of the five fights got covered in montage like that. It was clearly a good call, skip over the duller stuff, but man. Show's got places to be.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that was a cool montage

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
The song they use for the montage was nice. I'm really loving this show's aesthetic.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I recall somebody mentioning the class warfare angle earlier in the thread, and Joe choosing to fight without Gear definitely cements it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
rank 17 is 100% some dude the coach hosed over in the past right

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

or just someone who he was never quite able to help succeed

the slow pan up and the drum hit in the first minute... mmm, goddamn.

i also realized the main theme sounds like something that should have come right out of the splash screen for a Fight Night game and i love it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SealHammer posted:

or just someone who he was never quite able to help succeed

the slow pan up and the drum hit in the first minute... mmm, goddamn.

i also realized the main theme sounds like something that should have come right out of the splash screen for a Fight Night game and i love it

He's number 17. That's pretty good for a guy who just couldn't be helped. No reason to hold a grudge over a coach just not being very good.

There's history, and coach probably didn't come out of it smelling like a rose.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

chiasaur11 posted:

He's number 17. That's pretty good for a guy who just couldn't be helped. No reason to hold a grudge over a coach just not being very good.

There's history, and coach probably didn't come out of it smelling like a rose.

i'm not even gonna spoil text this. without actually knowing what happens next, i will still say that whatever happens next will 100% be about why coach is an alcoholic.

God drat this show owns. the look, the style, the mean, rough accent everybody has. the footwork animation alone was just delightful. and the music is out of this world incredible.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

i mean he has a massive burn scar over like a third of his face

i assume it's related

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Figured there's no way they were gonna cover what I'm guessing is 7 fights (5 + 2 for the finals) in 9 episodes without leaving much room for anything else, especially if the finals take more than one episode per fight.

The burnt face guy probably had his gear malfunction and explode during the fight or something and the coach blames himself for it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm always worried when kids get brought into the main cast but this one's pretty cool thus far

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4ZoMhFiVY

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm always worried when kids get brought into the main cast but this one's pretty cool thus far

Why does it make you worried

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Manatee Cannon posted:

so far this anime seems to be a huge nod to the best parts of anime down to the goofy kid sidekicks in the 70s anime. it's good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Why does it make you worried

I don't like the goofy kid sidekicks and they're often bad

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I also hate children

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't like the goofy kid sidekicks and they're often bad

I gave Sachio a pass because he knew gear, but now Joe's fighting without gear so I'm back to mixed.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I like how 'gears' are basically just a visual metaphor, because most good anime uses a ton of visual metaphor...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's the panache and characterization it brings. Just like Luchadores.

Gear can be tuned and tailored to the fighter, making them all more unique than a pile of muscle with gloves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I gave Sachio a pass because he knew gear, but now Joe's fighting without gear so I'm back to mixed.

Sachio literally demonstrated last episode why you want a techie on your side when your opponent has Gear and you don’t. He’s their intel guy.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you can't find any compassion for an orphaned child then you're not ready for Joe. Thems the breaks

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

child characters are frequently really annoying and the reason they get to hang around the main characters are generally pretty contrived

sachio is pretty alright on both counts, however

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

megalo box is an artful nod towards what makes anime popular, buy referencing everything through the generations ... it's the artful nod.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So the president has robot arms too? Weird how they have a scene with our protagonist hands shaking in fear in a very human emotion and then at the end the president getting shocked, focusing on her arm and it being perfectly still.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nah, she was just thinking of him having slapped the card out of that hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Sachio literally demonstrated last episode why you want a techie on your side when your opponent has Gear and you don’t. He’s their intel guy.

Yea his entire job is to make 'I fight without Gear' a complete suicide mission.

Sachio's cool

• Locked thread