Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Free rewards on Arena seem to be a lot more generous now, I have a 750 gold quest to cast 30 black or blue spells. I think it was about 225 for 20 spells before. It also seems you get 100 for each of your first 3 wins a day, was 100 for the first one then 25 the the next three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, they ~doubled gold rewards but got rid of the individual card rewards for winning ranked games.

It seems like grinding your daily wins in ranked will get you a free draft a week pretty comfortably now, which is honestly ... pretty reasonable? I mean the constructed progression still sucks but that's not a bad pace for free drafts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jabor posted:

Yeah, they ~doubled gold rewards but got rid of the individual card rewards for winning ranked games.

It seems like grinding your daily wins in ranked will get you a free draft a week pretty comfortably now, which is honestly ... pretty reasonable? I mean the constructed progression still sucks but that's not a bad pace for free drafts.

You'd get a random higher rarity here and there but I think this is better given how quickly you'll get the gold for an event/packs and progress towards opening the vault.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dragon enthusiast posted:

posting on page 1111

drat I missed it

BizarroAzrael posted:

Free rewards on Arena seem to be a lot more generous now, I have a 750 gold quest to cast 30 black or blue spells. I think it was about 225 for 20 spells before. It also seems you get 100 for each of your first 3 wins a day, was 100 for the first one then 25 the the next three.

Yeah I rerolled one of my unfinishable quests (win 8 games with a black red deck for 300 gold) and got attack with 45 creatures for 750 gold, which is significantly more useful. Yeah it's not quite a pack a day but I also got 250/100/100/100 gold for first wins which was nice.

Also if anyone wants to make a quick deck, 4 Tetsuko Umezawas, 28ish Rat Colony, some Bontu Monuments and maybe Vanquisher's Banners will do it. Literally never mull, just put your head down, slam your rats and if you lose or start losing who cares next game.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Dominaria has really made me regret their switch to one set blocks. I'm going to really miss drafting this set when core 19 drops in a couple months

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Unless they massively gently caress up drafting, this is definitely going to be more of a drafting game and constructed is just something you'll have to suffer through to pay for your drafts. The upside of that is that ladder will get really easy because anyone who cares about it will either spend less money to play it in paper or MTGO, or be really high rank so you won't get matched against them. There will be no free-to-play constructed players unless someone gets REALLY REALLY lucky and builds a constructed deck with draft prizes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Moose posted:

Unless they massively gently caress up drafting, this is definitely going to be more of a drafting game and constructed is just something you'll have to suffer through to pay for your drafts. The upside of that is that ladder will get really easy because anyone who cares about it will either spend less money to play it in paper or MTGO, or be really high rank so you won't get matched against them. There will be no free-to-play constructed players unless someone gets REALLY REALLY lucky and builds a constructed deck with draft prizes.

Lol no. Constructed is going to be just as competitive as it always has been. Don’t underestimate the money people will spend.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Retromancer posted:

Dominaria has really made me regret their switch to one set blocks. I'm going to really miss drafting this set when core 19 drops in a couple months

it's a real good draft format

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Man, I'm really getting converted on Helm having built a deck after being meh on it when it was spoiled. It's a slow wind-up but there are so many creatures where it's just game-stranglingly oppressive if you manage to resolve and equip it. Angel of Sanctions, Gideon (even though you have to keep re-equipping), Regal Caracal... And they gotta deal with the artifact itself since it's so easy to just re-equip it to what you copied or the next best thing and still go off. It just feels like inevitability if you bother to stuff your deck with goodstuff_creatures with relevant ETBs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I feel like 90% of the problems with the economy in Arena would be solved by them adding a dust system. I really have no clue why they just wont put something like it in.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
SO just posted a video where he opened the 90 card bundle on Arena and was able to build his Raff deck which is $340 in paper with the cards and wildcards he opened.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/magic-arena-90-booster-pack-dominaria-opening

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

fadam posted:

I feel like 90% of the problems with the economy in Arena would be solved by them adding a dust system. I really have no clue why they just wont put something like it in.

I mean, they have to keep the earn rate comparable to other dcgs if they want to compete, right? So you should be able to build a deck at the same rate as any other game, just you get to keep the rest of your cards. No guarantee that they'll actually do that though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I wish there were a way to trade C/UC wildcards up to rare, even if it were like absurd like 50:1 or more. After splurging built two pretty good fun decks with the wildcards but have just a ridiculous surfeit of the lower commonalities.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dEmadAnQRM

Wizards made a sequel to that backstory explaining video

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Pretty impressive

https://twitter.com/nissacosplay/status/989797592967073792

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Wait isn't that the guy from fullmetal alchemist

Blue
Gruul
Sultai

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Glad to see someone was able to re-purpose their WH40K cosplay.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Went down the rabbit hole and found this solid meme:

https://twitter.com/moxymtg/status/963843433398812672

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is there a way to tell in Arena which creature is currently under the effect of Gideon's +1 if there are multiples of the same type?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i can't fathom associating with a fictional robotic character so much that i'd spend the ludicrous amount of time and energy making an outfit.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Elyv posted:

I, a magic pleb, enjoy these

uggy posted:

i can't fathom associating with a fictional robotic character so much that i'd spend the ludicrous amount of time and energy making an outfit.
It's called "a hobby" and you should try it sometime

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Artificer's Assistant made me realize you can make Flying Men in Standard.

Kinda want to give it a whirl, now. :ohdear:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Veyrall posted:

I already post in this thread

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

I get that they forgot about Hanna, but how do you miss Ertai in this whole shebang?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Veyrall posted:

I, a magic pleb, enjoy these

Spending way too much money on a nerdy thing I enjoy is a weird concept to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

WOTC hasn't run out of bad ideas yet.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, that guy could have bought a budget modern deck with that money instead of buying materials.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Better than Jacetice league by miles. I read a bunch of the books back in middle school and they owned. Was kamahl story arc any good? I missed out on that.

I'd read novels if they were still released.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sickening posted:

More like you haven't run out of bad posts.

There's nothing wrong with this as a mass-market intro product.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Heck yes monocolor draft format! :v:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think I read one of those books way back in my short stint as a high school sliver liking kid. Didn't one of the bad dudes get around the hero's planeswalker hyper healing factor immortality by attacking him with clockwork bird bullets that turn into blenders when they hit someone, so he had to focus all his energy into knitting himself back together perpetually? That was pretty cool tbh.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

I'm the mom buying this for her kids at target, only to come home and be pummeled with "I wanted the BLUE one!"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
These fukken own: https://imgur.com/gallery/7hAliBB

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

With context.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/dominaria

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have seen one tweet so far that was a complaint that Llanowar Elves is bad for Standard because they're getting attacked by unblockable 5/4 creatures off of one land.

People do not undersrand how to kill mana dorks still.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think I read one of those books way back in my short stint as a high school sliver liking kid. Didn't one of the bad dudes get around the hero's planeswalker hyper healing factor immortality by attacking him with clockwork bird bullets that turn into blenders when they hit someone, so he had to focus all his energy into knitting himself back together perpetually? That was pretty cool tbh.

That was one of the Urza books IIRC, I think Kerrick the phyrexian spy made those to try to kill him. Kerrick was trapped in a fast time rift for awhile so had lots of time to make anti-Urza weapons.

I think Urza ended up killing him with Multani's help by teleporting inside Kerrick and wearing him as a skin suit to get the birds off his trail.

I didn't like the Odyssey block books with Kamahl, but those also came out when I was quitting magic anyway. They just seemed like a let down after the Invasion.

neaden fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 27, 2018

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

I have seen one tweet so far that was a complaint that Llanowar Elves is bad for Standard because they're getting attacked by unblockable 5/4 creatures off of one land.

This is why I'm bringing fungal infections and not feeling bad about it at all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This is why I'm bringing fungal infections and not feeling bad about it at all.

Gross. Get that poo poo looked at.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Went down the rabbit hole and found this solid meme:

https://twitter.com/moxymtg/status/963843433398812672

Very relevant now with the whole "In Bola's Clutches" thing.

Star Man posted:

I've been murdering mana dorks on Arena for a while now, pretty funny when it screws up their curve super hard. Especially the cost reducing, haste granting red one.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

since i was curious about what this was, it is apparently:

quote:

With the release of Dominaria, we will be testing a new product at 300 Walmart locations across North America called the “Dominaria Theme Booster”.

Boosters will contain 35 cards including 1 rare or mythic rare from a given color or theme. The MSRP will be $6.99.

By limiting this test to a single large account, we are able to perform a controlled test that allows us to more efficiently and accurately interpret sales results that will help inform future decisions about this kind of product.

seems like a relatively good idea on their part, plenty of kids who want to buy a booster that will have a much higher chance of going in their deck would be interested. grognards, less so.

edit: apparently 1 r/mr, 12 uncommon, 22 commons, only the r/mr is color-fixed

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 27, 2018