Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It's a merchant fee, that's why some places are cash only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hand Row posted:

It's a merchant fee, that's why some places are cash only.

or they cheat on their taxes

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Gotta love the ~8% price pop for 'Fast' Eddie Lampert writing a letter to himself saying that he'd be willing to pay $500 million for the remaining assets of worth of Sears... :jerkbag:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Gotta love the ~8% price pop for 'Fast' Eddie Lampert writing a letter to himself saying that he'd be willing to pay $500 million for the remaining assets of worth of Sears... :jerkbag:

I eagerly await Lampert dying a comedic self-inflicted death, similar to the Segway guy falling off a cliff due to his lovely Segway driving.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Looks like Subway is expecting to contract slightly.

quote:

The company said Wednesday it expects stores to close after it rolls out a revitalization plan, announced last summer, that will require franchise owners to invest more in their operations. All Subway stores are franchise owned, rather than owned by the company. The plans to revamp locations include adding self-service kiosks, more comfortable seating and Wi-Fi and USB charging ports. In February, Subway also announced plans for a loyalty program to win back customers and stem slumping sales.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're still dead in the water if they don't address the fact that their product just sucks.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

HEB makes the rest of American grocers look like Soviet food depots.

HEB was pretty impressive when I visited Texas, basically Whole Food ethics with big box mentality I thought it was modeled well. Id agree with the statement.

Yes, I know this post is older than an old mall going out of buisness

Liquid Communism posted:

Looks like Subway is expecting to contract slightly.

for announcements wise I'm really suprised about Subway. I mean, their model is pretty flexible, and healthy. Just caught me off guard. But they overshot I guess.

Edit: just read a lil bit regarding Subway. Ohkay. Makes more sense now given their size and spread.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 26, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

They're still dead in the water if they don't address the fact that their product just sucks.

there are more subways than starbucks near me and the two I've tried over 5 years have made me feel poor enough that I've been asked to use a sick day

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stinky sandwich as it turns out was not a very competitive product once literally any competition surfaced.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I haven't eaten from Subway in over a decade because it's gross AF and I get sick if I smell the Subway Smell just walking by. That smell isn't bread, I know what bread smells like and it 's not Subway. That place ain't right.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

or they cheat on their taxes

This. All day. Any vendor that is forcing cash usage has some sort of shenanigans going on behind the scenes. The only places I know that mandate that sort of stuff are the occasional odd-off bodega and family owned restaurants. Any service that I've ever patronized for services that totaled more than a nominal amount (say more than $500) who took cash did so to get out of some taxes on their end and then didn't charge me sales tax on mine.

Then again, that's not universal. Just my anecdote.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MiddleOne posted:

I work in the SF FiDi and when I started, there were like 10 Subways in a 5-block radius or something crazy around my office. A few have closed up now over the past year, though Subway density is still pretty obscene and in general I think more Subways than Starbucks here. there's now a jimmy johns, i went once and it was ok I guess.

But yeah I haven't gone in years, wilted lettuce with soggy vegetables that have been sitting out for 48 hours on weirdly unfulfilling and chemically-tasting bread? nah i'll pass

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This. All day. Any vendor that is forcing cash usage has some sort of shenanigans going on behind the scenes. The only places I know that mandate that sort of stuff are the occasional odd-off bodega and family owned restaurants. Any service that I've ever patronized for services that totaled more than a nominal amount (say more than $500) who took cash did so to get out of some taxes on their end and then didn't charge me sales tax on mine.

Then again, that's not universal. Just my anecdote.

Good example of this is Nick's roast beef in Beverly MA. Absolutely delicious, a staple of the community, cash only for some reason...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...qAeM/story.html

Family that owns Nick’s Famous Roast Beef in Beverly sentenced for tax fraud posted:

The co-owner of Nick’s Famous Roast Beef in Beverly, and his wife and son, were sentenced in federal court in Boston Wednesday for failing to report nearly $6 million in income and avoiding paying $1 million in taxes, according to the US Attorney’s office.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

how does the taxman catch them

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Vegetable posted:

how does the taxman catch them

Forensic accounting and the fact that some many people that have owned these family businesses have done so for decades and think that things are still the way that they were 35 years ago.

You have a restaurant. It's highly regarded by the locals and frequently trafficked. There's a model for that..e.g. how much money a place like that would bring in every week and how much its expenses should total. The government has all of these models for businesses just like they do for individuals. You can only fly under the radar for so long before someone takes a look after noticing that you're wildly outside the norm of that model.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
A lot of business owners also remember to cook the books on the 'income' side of things, but forget to do so on the 'expenses' side of things. Because its harder to do the latter - getting suppliers to agree to take cash, to sell you stuff off the books etc. If your sandwich joint is buying enough food supplies to sell 500k sandwiches a year for example, but you're only telling the taxman you're selling 250k... you're going to court.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Blut posted:

A lot of business owners also remember to cook the books on the 'income' side of things, but forget to do so on the 'expenses' side of things. Because its harder to do the latter - getting suppliers to agree to take cash, to sell you stuff off the books etc. If your sandwich joint is buying enough food supplies to sell 500k sandwiches a year for example, but you're only telling the taxman you're selling 250k... you're going to court.

Personal assets also play into it. Buying a new BMW every year but claiming you only net $30k from your business? Ya, that's a red flag.

Also, if you're trying to hide cash, it can never, ever touch a bank account.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon just announced they're increasing prime to $120/yr

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

there are more subways than starbucks near me and the two I've tried over 5 years have made me feel poor enough that I've been asked to use a sick day

There are something like 2-3x as many Subways as McDonald's in the world. The drat things are everywhere.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Liquid Communism posted:

There are something like 2-3x as many Subways as McDonald's in the world. The drat things are everywhere.

I think it's because it's much cheaper to start a Subway franchise than it is for McDonald's.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Star Man posted:

I think it's because it's much cheaper to start a Subway franchise than it is for McDonald's.

yeah. it costs practically nothing to get a subway franchise and open one up. mcdonalds is fairly expensive, a big reason being quality control (in a relative sense)

iirc the cost to start a subway is like $50-100k total, including the franchise fee, which is peanuts for fast food. mcdonalds often demands the construction of a standalone building so you can do drive through, so you're looking at closer to a million bucks. but if you own a few mcd's franchises you basically are just printing money

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 27, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FCKGW posted:

lol that's more than I spend on online shopping in a year.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah but you live on an island in a country where Amazon mostly sucks.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I've seen several libertarian-y people say that these tech companies aren't really monopolies because they're not raising prices, standard economic theory says monopolies should raise prices above market value. Well, now the monopoly rents are flowing, this should end any doubt about these companies' nature

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
but now you’ll find that monopolies are actually cool and good, according to armies of temporarily embarrassed monopolists :pseudo:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Star Man posted:

It is, and Subway also doesn't guarantee exclusive territory, so they can be oversaturated in places too.

MiddleOne posted:

Stinky sandwich as it turns out was not a very competitive product once literally any competition surfaced.
There's some irony in that Subway sold itself as being the "fresh" option, but now fast casual is much bigger and just shits all over Subway in food quality.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I've seen several libertarian-y people say that these tech companies aren't really monopolies because they're not raising prices, standard economic theory says monopolies should raise prices above market value. Well, now the monopoly rents are flowing, this should end any doubt about these companies' nature
Amazon isn’t a monopoly by any definition. And “monopolies raise prices” does not mean “price-raisers are monopolists.”

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Amazon has been steadily adding things to Amazon Prime, it's not super surprising that they're raising the price. At some point I imagine they'll split it into tiers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

Amazon isn’t a monopoly by any definition. And “monopolies raise prices” does not mean “price-raisers are monopolists.”

It does seem like they are holding a dominant position, so saying they aren't a monopoly "by any definition" seems strange. And of course Amazon are going to use their market power to squeeze out more profit from all sides.

And, to raise prices for consumers effectively and squeeze suppliers the best, you certainly need a certain dominance in the market.

Cicero posted:

Amazon has been steadily adding things to Amazon Prime, it's not super surprising that they're raising the price. At some point I imagine they'll split it into tiers.

What have they added recently? And they have already split the service into tiers - Music, Books and Storage are extra.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 27, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

It does seem like they are holding a dominant position, so saying they aren't a monopoly "by any definition" seems strange. And of course Amazon are going to use their market power to squeeze out more profit from all sides.

And, to raise prices for consumers effectively and squeeze suppliers the best, you certainly need a certain dominance in the market.
Monopoly implies they are the singular dominant player. It’s just untrue. They have their tentacles everywhere, but they have clear, powerful competitors in nearly every segment (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Netflix, Microsoft, etc.).

Most of the industries they’re involved in are oligopolies. They hold significant market shares but by no measure do they control the markets singularly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Monopoly implies they are the singular dominant player. It’s just untrue. They have their tentacles everywhere, but they have clear, powerful competitors in nearly every segment (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Netflix, Microsoft, etc.).

Most of the industries they’re involved in are oligopolies. They hold significant market shares but by no measure do they control the markets singularly.

Courts tend to take a harder line on horizontalist structure, so Amazon's market share in different markets could play a part in the debate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

icantfindaname posted:

You can still order products from Amazon.com and get free shipping without paying for Prime.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fame Douglas posted:

What have they added recently? And they have already split the service into tiers - Music, Books and Storage are extra.

4k video and a bunch of sports deals on amazon video that were a pretty big deal to a lot of people.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

There's also the fact that Mcdonalds has pretty strict location requirements for its franchises while Subways entire model was letting you set-up literally anywhere.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MiddleOne posted:

There's also the fact that Mcdonalds has pretty strict location requirements for its franchises while Subways entire model was letting you set-up literally anywhere.

Subways also don't have much equipment required - they don't do the frying and grilling that McD's does. Just toasting and sandwich assembly. A lot easier to train people to do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I remember when Subway started offering toasted sandwiches to compete with places like Quiznos that toast their sandwiches by default. Then the Subway Brain Trust said “poo poo, what else can we toast in this thing? How about pizza?”

Nobody wanted that dang pizza.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I remember when Subway started offering toasted sandwiches to compete with places like Quiznos that toast their sandwiches by default. Then the Subway Brain Trust said “poo poo, what else can we toast in this thing? How about pizza?”

Nobody wanted that dang pizza.

The Retail Collapse of 2018: Nobody wanted that dang pizza.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BarbarianElephant posted:

Subways also don't have much equipment required - they don't do the frying and grilling that McD's does. Just toasting and sandwich assembly. A lot easier to train people to do.

This was how I learned how to cook burgers at McDonald's during a three-week stint at one in 2012: you put down up to nine patties on the grill, push a button, and the clamshell comes down. Six patties if it's third or quarter pounders.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

There was an article that talked about how the franchisees all hate the founder's sister who is the current CEO because she has been pushing the "Cut sandwich prices further and do the soda machines/other random poo poo and see if it sticks!" angle instead of limiting franchises (since obviously the franchisor wants more franchises to collect more franchise fees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

boner confessor posted:

yeah. it costs practically nothing to get a subway franchise and open one up. mcdonalds is fairly expensive, a big reason being quality control (in a relative sense)

iirc the cost to start a subway is like $50-100k total, including the franchise fee, which is peanuts for fast food. mcdonalds often demands the construction of a standalone building so you can do drive through, so you're looking at closer to a million bucks. but if you own a few mcd's franchises you basically are just printing money

Yeah, I know for a fact that as of ~10 years ago Dairy Queen demanded anyone trying to get a franchise have $2m in liquid assets to invest before they even wanted to talk about it. I worked for them extensively in high school and managed one for a couple years when I was between better paying gigs, and the level of corporate support they offer is honestly pretty nice.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 28, 2018