Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Battlescrbe is pretty much all there is. I'm always flirting with the idea of restarting ArmyBodger but it's a monster effort.

The list building variation is just insane in modern 40k. I love the options but they need an official app ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PaintVagrant posted:

The list building variation is just insane in modern 40k. I love the options but they need an official app ASAP.

I can see why they're dragging their feet, there are so many variables that it's basically impossible for it not to be wrong in some way, and GW isn't known for ever being very agile or transparent with fixes.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

At least they've said they're actually doing it which is forward progress.

In the meantime just put it in Excel and move on with your life. Maybe I'll upload what I've done already to a Google Drive thing, half the factions are done.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Battlescribe might be fan made but has been pretty functional in my experience, at least for the armies I play. I wouldn’t like depend on it for rules or anything- although I see new players at my FLGS do this frequently- but for calculating points costs it does exactly what it needs to.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Corrode posted:

At least they've said they're actually doing it which is forward progress.

Wait until it comes out then it transpires you need to buy separate army data module licenses for each codex at 90% the price of a paper copy.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DancingShade posted:

Wait until it comes out then it transpires you need to buy separate army data module licenses for each codex at 110% the price of a paper copy.

Fixed this

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'd love help with excel/google drives organization for doing a bunch mathhammer. Looking at how much something kills (GEQ, MEQ, TEQ, etc.) per point. And how resilient stuff is, like effective wounds per point.

So far I've just been farting around with comparing a few units here or there. I'd like to see a giant mathhammer spreadsheet I could adapt for Drukhari.

Anybody know of a good reference?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My only big gripe with Battlescribe is that it's a shame that it doesn't generate a reference sheet for rules ala Wikipedia. It could be entirely optional but useful for disputes to find exactly where a detail was found/changed. It would be especially useful hoing forward as we get more FAQ's and Chapter Approved's.

It would also make it easier for people maintaining the app to check if the info submitted is erroneous.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I make most of my lists by hand.

Then I format them nicely and print them out in a word document for easy reading. I created several documents that have the unit types with points values and options that I reference for listbuilding. I have them uploaded to my dropbox so I can have them on my phone for when I get bored at work. I don't have to look anything up in books unless I want to see rules. In my Astra Militarum points guide I even have it color coded for what book it is in if I need to reference it.

Please don't rely on battlescribe, goons. Read your codices, know your points, know the rules.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

I make most of my lists by hand.

Then I format them nicely and print them out in a word document for easy reading. I created several documents that have the unit types with points values and options that I reference for listbuilding. I have them uploaded to my dropbox so I can have them on my phone for when I get bored at work. I don't have to look anything up in books unless I want to see rules. In my Astra Militarum points guide I even have it color coded for what book it is in if I need to reference it.

Please don't rely on battlescribe, goons. Read your codices, know your points, know the rules.

That’s the thing though- I do know my army really well and I just find it so much more convenient to build a list using battlescribe. I even have the points costs for most builds on the various units I take memorized.

What battlescribe does really well is make it easy to juggle points around for wargear at the end of the list building process. I also make heavy use of favoriting unit builds and duplicating old lists that I want to make a few quick modifications to for a game. I have a very modular approach to my list building and some of the tricks Battlescribe offers lets me throw a list together in just a few minutes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pendent posted:

Battlescribe might be fan made but has been pretty functional in my experience, at least for the armies I play. I wouldn’t like depend on it for rules or anything- although I see new players at my FLGS do this frequently- but for calculating points costs it does exactly what it needs to.

Except that those points are wrong sometimes.

Battlescribe is excellent for doing a loose outline of your army, but then you should move it into Excel and double check you points totals against your books.

You don't want to get DQ'd from a tournament because your list is ten points over from a typo in an unaffiliated app.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Pendent posted:

That’s the thing though- I do know my army really well and I just find it so much more convenient to build a list using battlescribe. I even have the points costs for most builds on the various units I take memorized.

What battlescribe does really well is make it easy to juggle points around for wargear at the end of the list building process. I also make heavy use of favoriting unit builds and duplicating old lists that I want to make a few quick modifications to for a game. I have a very modular approach to my list building and some of the tricks Battlescribe offers lets me throw a list together in just a few minutes.

Seems like you're using battlescribe, but not relying on it.

Perhaps I should have said, "don't make battlescribe the only way you build lists".

Y'all are gonna do whatever the gently caress y'all wanna do, and it really doesn't bother me too much, but whenever I play someone who rolls up to the table with a battlescribe-made list, it seems like they don't know poo poo about their army. Pendent clearly doesn't fall into that list, but since new players have asked for advice about starting out in 40k in this thread, I will stand by my comment that battlescribe should not be the be-all-end-all of list-making.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If you're relying on Battlescribe to make a final list in an environment where there's a risk of failure then you're accepting that risk. While I wouldn't really care for casual games, or environments where there's a massive time delay between when I do the list and when I have an army (ie with my painting), if you're talking about a tournament environment then it's in your best interest to do the work yourself. Especially since the Battlescribe formatting is pretty terrible to begin with and results in a huge mess that's difficult to look over.

If I have time I might whip up a custom-formatted Google Drive M'SPREADSHEET to make list building fast and easy.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
New webway gate terrain. This is really beautiful.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Sex Cannon posted:

Perhaps I should have said, "don't make battlescribe the only way you build lists".

Y'all are gonna do whatever the gently caress y'all wanna do, and it really doesn't bother me too much, but whenever I play someone who rolls up to the table with a battlescribe-made list, it seems like they don't know poo poo about their army. Pendent clearly doesn't fall into that list, but since new players have asked for advice about starting out in 40k in this thread, I will stand by my comment that battlescribe should not be the be-all-end-all of list-making.

Yeah I've had this too and it drives me wild. The Apoc game I played at Christmas, we had two Space Wolves players who were both using Battlescribe and didn't own their index because it was a "waste of money." They didn't know any of their rules and couldn't find any of it in their massive piles of paper. One of them had no idea his Rune Priest could deny psychic powers, because the formatting for that in Battlescribe is nonsense. It was maddening to play against.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

Looks a bit Giger-esque with the statues on the sides.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Looks a bit Giger-esque with the statues on the sides.

Fitting, considering most eldar stuff is built out of their own souls (or at least rock that has been irradiated by soul energy).

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I've never played 40k before. I don't actually know how. I'm trying to plan ahead on what I should buy, and I made this list. Please explain to me why it's bad. I honestly just guessed for the equipment options, trying to get as close to 1500 points as possible.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [76 PL, 1499pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: World Eaters

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 180pts]: Brass Collar of Borghaster, Khorne, Malefic talon

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 95pts]: Combi-melta, Mark of Khorne, Power maul

Kharn the Betrayer [8 PL, 160pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [12 PL, 234pts]: Icon of Wrath, Mark of Khorne
. Aspiring Champion: Combi-melta, Power fist
. 8x Marine w/ Boltgun
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 180pts]: Icon of Wrath
. Berzerker Champion: Chainaxe, Chainsword
. 9x Chainsword and Chainaxe: 9x Chainaxe

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 146pts]: Icon of Wrath
. Berzerker Champion: Chainaxe, Chainsword
. 7x Chainsword and Chainaxe: 7x Chainaxe

+ Elites +

Helbrute [7 PL, 162pts]: Helbrute fist, Mark of Khorne, Twin lascannon

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 172pts]: 2x Magma cutter, Mark of Khorne

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 85pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Havoc launcher, Mark of Khorne

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 85pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Havoc launcher, Mark of Khorne

++ Total: [76 PL, 1499pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

As a chaos player since 8th dropped my suggestion as follows;
1. Drop either thd demon prince or kharn and grab a exalted champion and some cultists. Cultists are scary in blobs and have lotd of wounds/screening potential for cheap. The champion provides rerolls for all failed wound rolls. A blob of berserks and cultists with a dark apostle and champion Mulched everything ive lut them against so far!

2.Your generic space boys don't need a icon of wraith unless you plan on charging people with them. But they have missile so they want to sit and shoot things.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just print out each page you are using for your army when you play. The pdf version of the rules are literally perfect for this.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This goes back to my college note-taking days, but in whatever game I'm playing I find it really helpful to type up a rules summary sheet about my army that I can print and throw in a bag with my army list. Not only is it nice to have a reference sheet, it makes sure that I've at least read every rule once or twice and written it down to help commit it to memory.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you're relying on Battlescribe to make a final list in an environment where there's a risk of failure then you're accepting that risk. While I wouldn't really care for casual games, or environments where there's a massive time delay between when I do the list and when I have an army (ie with my painting), if you're talking about a tournament environment then it's in your best interest to do the work yourself. Especially since the Battlescribe formatting is pretty terrible to begin with and results in a huge mess that's difficult to look over.

If I have time I might whip up a custom-formatted Google Drive M'SPREADSHEET to make list building fast and easy.

Heck to that, pls build an easy model for plugging in weapons and points to see how they do against lot's of different enemies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zuul the Cat posted:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This goes back to my college note-taking days, but in whatever game I'm playing I find it really helpful to type up a rules summary sheet about my army that I can print and throw in a bag with my army list. Not only is it nice to have a reference sheet, it makes sure that I've at least read every rule once or twice and written it down to help commit it to memory.

In addition to doing this I also bring along a checklist broken down by phase. "Phase X, remember to use model Y's special ability to do Z". Might be different for other armies but with Tyranids there's a ton of random stuff like that which started to irritate me to forget about and end up thinking, 'Man, if I had remembered my Tervigon's spawn ability I could have had another unit of troops to secure that objective.'

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Heck to that, pls build an easy model for plugging in weapons and points to see how they do against lot's of different enemies.

The one I already did wasn't good enough?

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Guy Goodbody posted:

I would suggest taking a look at Dalong for Gundam models. They have pictures of almost every Gundam model ever made, so you can quickly skim through and see if anything looks like a good base for a Knight to you.

The Helmwige seems kinda Knighty to me

Zark the Damned posted:

If I remember, when I get home I'll take some scale pics of Gundam figs alongside a Knight. Gundams may make a good base but will likely need gluing if you're going to be playing with them a lot otherwise joints can come loose over time. They're also a considerably different aesthetic so you'd probably need to bulk them out considerably with extra armour etc..

While scratch building may seem like a way to save money, be aware that unless you're already pretty skilled at modelling and sculpting etc. it'll likely look a lot worse than the actual kits, and depending on how much you value your time it could work out more expensive anyway (e.g. if it takes like 50 hours to scratch build your knight vs a couple of hours assembling an actual kit you've lost a lot of time).

You may also want to consider Dreamforge's Leviathans - https://dreamforge-games.com/products/leviathan-crusader - they're cheaper and bigger (about comparable to FW's larger Knights). They also have a 15mm version which is about comparable to the new Armigers.

Note that in any case, you wouldn't be able to take your knight to an official GW store or event, I don't know how important that is to you.
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/755721.page

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/27/may-white-dwarf-preview-27-aprgw-homepage-post-2/

Harlies and Deathwatch confirmed for May. That means June for Knights, then the next 3 will be after that. Presumably we'll hear about them at Warhammer Fest or LGT.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just have a sheet like this for each of my armies:

When you select multiple cells it totals them up at the bottom, so I don't even have to do the addition. Sometimes a list will be a few points over and then I just subtract a dude or two.

I do something very similar for painting:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
That Webway Gate terrain is pretty, and I’m sure it will have some nice bonuses, but gosh if it doesn’t block any line of sight at all. Still, will go nicely on an Eldar maiden world or something.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The one I already did wasn't good enough?

I sorted this thread by your posts and there are 34 pages. I scanned the first couple but didn't see a link to a calculator.

Link please? :)

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I've been trying to work out something better to do with acolytes than take 3 squads of minimally equipped chumps as meat shields, and I can't come up with anything effective.

So I think I'm going to do a squad of plasma guns backed by a jokaero and hope I can hide the orange little turd somewhere so I can at least get a turn of modified shooting out of him.

If I can't make acolytes good, at least I can try and make them fun.

It's a shame, I have ~20 old kasrkin models, but hot-shot lasguns on acolytes seem like a pretty bad deal unless maybe against Tau with Ordo Xenos?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I sorted this thread by your posts and there are 34 pages. I scanned the first couple but didn't see a link to a calculator.

Link please? :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bnhKYhQpHBdENLeHJksqNICwCRlglS9KwcuUufr-IdI/edit?usp=drivesdk

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The Sex Cannon posted:

It depends on how important the list is. You're basically talking about doing double accounting, which seems prudent for tournaments but overkill for a friendly game.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

caliente... thank you friend

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

I've been trying to work out something better to do with acolytes than take 3 squads of minimally equipped chumps as meat shields, and I can't come up with anything effective.

I was using a squad of six with bolters.
They were pretty effective.
Have a pic of some my acolytes.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

ToyotaThong posted:

I was using a squad of six with bolters.
They were pretty effective.
Have a pic of some my acolytes.

Nice, loving the white bearded dude. And yeah, bolters seems to be the best cheap layout. Unfortunately most of mine are pistol and sword because that's how I built them for reasons I honestly don't remember.

Are you just using marine bolters and cutting off the hands or is there a guard bolter kit?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thinking of trying some Shadow War: Armageddon this weekend. Has anyone been playing it?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Zuul the Cat posted:

I don't even like eldar that much and I want one.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

Nice, loving the white bearded dude. And yeah, bolters seems to be the best cheap layout. Unfortunately most of mine are pistol and sword because that's how I built them for reasons I honestly don't remember.

Are you just using marine bolters and cutting off the hands or is there a guard bolter kit?

The two on the left use SM scout arms.
The other (modeled after a friend) uses Catachan arms.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zuul the Cat posted:

Thinking of trying some Shadow War: Armageddon this weekend. Has anyone been playing it?

It is really great, just got overshadowed by the release of 8th. Having a defined end you are playing to helps a lot with keeping it manageable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

ToyotaThong posted:

The two on the left use SM scout arms.
The other (modeled after a friend) uses Catachan arms.

Ahhh neat. Those catachans are some beefy arms... not going to fit well with cadian uniform bodies unless I can find a way to model ripped off sleeves.

Though after looking at bits availability the scout arms look like a better bet.