Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have never understood goal statements by the time you are applying for a job isn't your goal Get This Job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's mostly true. I could see it hurting job chances at some places compared to using the standard resume information, though.

One guy interviewed yesterday who was BWM:

(Important context: This is for an entry-level CSR job that pays ~$30k per year.)

- He must have read some negotiating or self-help book before the interview, because he kept pulling weird "power moves" that no normal human being would ever do and acting like he really didn't want to job, but we could maybe get lucky and snag him if we raised the salary by 20%.

- We told him that these salaries are set by the government and his offer was 85% of mid-point, which is the highest we could offer without getting a waiver.

- He said, "Okay, I know my worth. Who should I talk to about getting a waiver? Because I don't want to waste anyone's time. I want to make sure that this is going to be a good get for all parties."

- We said that the Governor has to approve salary increases above the normal limit, but that he does not get involved for positions like this.

- The guy asked if he could get the Governor's email or phone number to talk to him and let him know the situation.

- We said no, but if he is chosen, then he could send an appeal to his manager and see about getting a waiver process started.

He did not get chosen. He probably was going to get hired before the interview, though.

Babby's first salary negotiation.

Wasn't there a story a while back of an interviewee whose negotiation tactic was "my momma told me never to undervalue myself", and so rejected a salary which was already the maximum possible for that position?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goal statements are pretty helpful as an employer at least. If someone is looking for an architect role and you don't have them, or they want to grow into management and it's not a management-track position, that's good to know. It's also useful in shaping parts of the interview when exploring their professional motivations and intentions (which skills are they looking to apply and develop, e.g.).

I've always preferred a resume with a concise goal statement, and I always recommend that applicants write one specifically for each employer to which they apply.

(There's a strong case to be made that you should ask exactly the same questions of every candidate, in which case the tailoring value is much lower.)

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've seen people include pronouns in their email signature recently, which I think is fine. I'm not sure you need to tell people that you're cis and present as your birth gender, doesn't that kind of defeat the overall purpose of normalization of including pronouns?

Yeah, I've read some compellng arguments recently for cis people offering pronouns to help normalize it, so trans people maybe get fewer weird looks from old assholes who have never heard of such a zany thing before. Makes sense to me, and I'm happy to be an ally in that way.

Clarifying the cis/presents as birth-gender stuff seems weird, though. Maybe even kind of lovely...? As a potential employer, that information is none of my business, and shoehorning it in there kind of makes me wonder if the applicant is really trying to say, "Hey I'm progressive and woke af, but also FYI I'm definitely not trans, so you won't have to deal with any drama or extra health care expenses or anything!"

Like, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'm left wondering if this applicant is just an oversharer, pushing the boundaries of professionalism, or if she's some kind of transphobic wolf in trans-friendly sheep's clothing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trustworthy posted:

Clarifying the cis/presents as birth-gender stuff seems weird, though.

Yeah, on further reflection I agree with this part.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Subjunctive posted:

Punishing someone for negotiating hard sucks. The power imbalance when interviewing is so massive that candidates need to do everything they can to look out for themselves.

Also, I bet it's not hard to find an email address (ostensibly) for the governor!

He was offered the maximum legally allowed and informed that it was the maximum legally allowed. He refused to take yes for an answer and wanted to go over the interview panel and agency to try and get the Governor's contact information to argue for a salary waiver for an entry-level position that will never be approved.

That might work in 1% of cases in the private sector, but nobody is going to get legislation passed or the Governor involved to offer someone 20% higher than the max base rate for an entry-level CSR.

Subjunctive posted:

(There's a strong case to be made that you should ask exactly the same questions of every candidate, in which case the tailoring value is much lower.)

We legally have to ask the exact same questions to every applicant. We can't even exclude a question. So, if it gets asked once, then it has to be asked to every applicant.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 27, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Offering pronouns is a fine and dandy way of normalizing them, but saying you're cis or trans is incredibly not something you should feel obligated to divulge to a employer or something we should normalize, I can only see that being used for discriminatory hiring

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

normal contact posted:

Wasn't there a story a while back of an interviewee whose negotiation tactic was "my momma told me never to undervalue myself", and so rejected a salary which was already the maximum possible for that position?

This happens SO often. We have literally had people either:

- Cite their mom to support behavior/salary requirements/criticisms of the hiring process.

or

- Have their mom call in after an unsuccessful interview.

One guy in his mid-20's had his mom come with him to the interview and asked if she could sit in the room with us during the interview.

We also have a ton of less crazy, but still awkward things happen during the interview process or the first week of employment:

- People listing "Short-tempered" and "can't deal with fools, laziness, and underachievers." under "accomodations for mental health."

- We have had people send back offer letters with amendments like "Can't work on Thursdays and need to leave by 2:45 pm on Fridays because my childcare charges afternoon rates if I don't pick them up by 3:30." They never mentioned or asked about it in the interview.

- People trying to take 3-day vacations on their first week.

- People applying for short-term disability in their first week of hire due to "anxiety induced by working conditions."

- Someone who asked for a state car in response to always being late. ("The bus schedule doesn't work for the office schedule. I have to either be 20 minutes early or 25 minutes late!")

- Someone asking whether concealed-carry laws applied in the office.

I don't know how most people are employed.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 27, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hoodwinker posted:

Yup, the lance corporal who handles the filing of paperwork on servicemember dependents is held to a higher standard than the president of the United States of America with regards to security clearance. That is a real thing.

Deciding which material is secure and which isn't and who gets access to it is an Executive function, and thus the President is the ultimate authority for that. Who even gets to classify material is defined by Executive Order. Of course the President gets more leeway than the lance corporal, the President is literally in charge of the matter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He was offered the maximum legally allowed and informed that it was the maximum legally allowed. He refused to take yes for an answer and wanted to go over the interview panel and agency to try and get the Governor's contact information to argue for a salary waiver for an entry-level position that will never be approved.

Sure, so let him talk to the manager if he's selected, as you said. It is *very* common for people to say "this is the most our band permits" and not have that be the case, at least in the private sector. Like, that statement is untrue more often than it's true (though the line manager interviewing might not know that it's untrue).

People also often behave differently with an offer in hand then they do at the table where it's more abstract.

If I ever went to a hiring committee and said "he was our top candidate until he got aggressive on salary" it would be very poorly received.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Subjunctive posted:

Punishing someone for negotiating hard sucks. The power imbalance when interviewing is so massive that candidates need to do everything they can to look out for themselves.

Also, I bet it's not hard to find an email address (ostensibly) for the governor!

Shouldn't you at least wait until they accepted you before starting negotiations on salary? I would imagine every interviewer in the world would get really annoyed at someone trying to negotiate salary during the interview process like the guy already has the job. Also, he completely misunderstood the position, since government salaries are usually pretty strictly set. He came in negotiating like it was a private company.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bird in a Blender posted:

Shouldn't you at least wait until they accepted you before starting negotiations on salary? I would imagine every interviewer in the world would get really annoyed at someone trying to negotiate salary during the interview process like the guy already has the job. Also, he completely misunderstood the position, since government salaries are usually pretty strictly set. He came in negotiating like it was a private company.

I've explored salary on the first call as a candidate, because if we're $75K apart then there's no point continuing. I don't take it at face value, but it's a general indicator. If I were interviewing and someone wanted to negotiate salary I wouldn't engage with them, I'd just say "I'm not in a position to negotiate salary" even if I were the one negotiating or approving it later. It's super easy. (Don't have hiring managers involved in salary negotiations at all, IMO.)

He clearly misunderstood the public sector compensation dynamics, but I don't think that should torpedo his application.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

normal contact posted:

This happens SO often. We have literally had people either:

- Cite their mom to support behavior/salary requirements/criticisms of the hiring process.

or

- Have their mom call in after an unsuccessful interview.

One guy in his mid-20's had his mom come with him to the interview and asked if she could sit in the room with us during the interview.

We also have a ton of less crazy, but still awkward things happen during the interview process or the first week of employment:

- People listing "Short-tempered" and "can't deal with fools, laziness, and underachievers." under "accomodations for mental health."

- We have had people send back offer letters with amendments like "Can't work on Thursdays and need to leave by 2:45 pm on Fridays because my childcare charges afternoon rates if I don't pick them up by 3:30." They never mentioned or asked about it in the interview.

- People trying to take 3-day vacations on their first week.

- People applying for short-term disability in their first week of hire due to "anxiety induced by working conditions."

- Someone who asked for a state car in response to always being late. ("The bus schedule doesn't work for the office schedule. I have to either be 20 minutes early or 25 minutes late!")

Edit: Whoops. Double posted that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was looking at my State's new hire database and a lot of people had listed their conceal carry license under personal licenses... For office jobs. Seemed like a bad idea, particularly in such a blue state (MA). But I guess it didn't stop them from being hired

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In more low-grade BWM.

My boss is currently talking to her secretary about her "investment" in a pair of $1,650 shoes. They have been a great investment because:

- They are black.
- They go to the cobbler twice a year for $50.
- She has had them for almost two years.
- They came with a 3-year insurance policy (?!?) for only $7 a month.

This has apparently saved her a lot of money in the past two years compared to how she used to buy shoes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do you need to take shoes to the cobbler twice a year? Does she think they are the only ones that can polish them or something?

I have no idea how much your standard stupidly expensive yet terribly made by child slaves women’s shoes are, so I don’t know how many pairs of Prada makes $1,650. If she already bought expensive shoes maybe that pays for itself after a few years? I don’t know.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Deciding which material is secure and which isn't and who gets access to it is an Executive function, and thus the President is the ultimate authority for that. Who even gets to classify material is defined by Executive Order. Of course the President gets more leeway than the lance corporal, the President is literally in charge of the matter.
If the president is the authority on what material is safe/unsafe, then the president should be held to a higher moral/ethical standard than Joe Shlub specifically because they wield that authority. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but it sounds completely asinine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
While I get not wanting to undersell yourself in salary negotiations, people that come off really entitled and aggressive about it often up not working out for many other reasons. I see this a lot at my job, where we hire for position A but the applicant wants position G and doesn't understand we hire/promote internally so they'll have to do job A for a while until an opening pops up.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Hoodwinker posted:

If the president is the authority on what material is safe/unsafe, then the president should be held to a higher moral/ethical standard than Joe Shlub specifically because they wield that authority. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but it sounds completely asinine.

I don’t know how the government would work if the president didn’t have security clearance. Would you boot an elected official out of office over it. Do you put someone else in charge of accessing that information and are they elected? :shrug:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Baxate posted:

I don’t know how the government would work if the president didn’t have security clearance. Would you boot an elected official out of office over it. Do you put someone else in charge of accessing that information and are they elected? :shrug:
It certainly shows there's a serious problem with electing someone unqualified for the role they're supposed to perform.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hoodwinker posted:

It certainly shows there's a serious problem with electing someone unqualified for the role they're supposed to perform.
If I understand you correctly, you are stating that somebody must determine the eligibility of a citizen to hold the office of President. In this case, based on a subjective assessment (moral standards) rather than a black-and-white objective assessment (i.e. >35 years old). Since the existing system already performs this indirectly through the Presidential election, your preference must therefore be for another office to pre-screen citizens for suitability beforehand.

May I know who do you intend to appoint to this office? And since this is obviously such an important position to decide the highest office, should this position not itself be held to a similar standard? And how will these public servants be appointed to such a position since apparently voting is not the right mechanism?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

John Smith posted:

If I understand you correctly, you are stating that somebody must determine the eligibility of a citizen to hold the office of President. In this case, based on a subjective assessment (moral standards) rather than a black-and-white objective assessment (i.e. >35 years old). Since the existing system already performs this indirectly through the Presidential election, your preference must therefore be for another office to pre-screen citizens for suitability beforehand.

May I know who do you intend to appoint to this office? And since this is obviously such an important position to decide the highest office, should this position not itself be held to a similar standard? And how will these public servants be appointed to such a position since apparently voting is not the right mechanism?

I propose a grand ayatollah who can appoint some dudes who appoint some other dudes who appoint some other other dudes who decide who gets to run.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

In more low-grade BWM.

My boss is currently talking to her secretary about her "investment" in a pair of $1,650 shoes. They have been a great investment because:

- They are black.
- They go to the cobbler twice a year for $50.
- She has had them for almost two years.
- They came with a 3-year insurance policy (?!?) for only $7 a month.

This has apparently saved her a lot of money in the past two years compared to how she used to buy shoes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1650-New-Chanel-MOON-CAMELLIA-NAVY-Leather-PEARLS-Sneakers-Flats-Shoes-37-5-40-/263232595995 ?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

two-page resume

:thermidor:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

John Smith posted:

God damnit I read this whole thing before I saw who it was

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Two page resumes have no place in polite American society. I’ve heard Europeans do some weirdness there, like Germans including a headshot, but that just seems strange.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Hoodwinker posted:

Yeah that’s definitely a problem with the voting public, but as long as you want to have legitimate democratic elections you can’t really have like the military Chiefs of Staff undemocratically strip an elected official of his powers which are conferred by the people. The right way to do that would be via impeachment since Congress is democratically elected

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not those.

I don't know if it is better or worse, but they just look like regular black heels to me. The only clue that they cost that much from just looking at them is the brand name.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mocking Bird posted:

God damnit I read this whole thing before I saw who it was
That ignore button is GWM because of how much time it saves.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have never understood goal statements by the time you are applying for a job isn't your goal Get This Job

100% agreed. Goal statements are the first thing I remove from any resume someone asks me to edit. They're utterly useless to the candidate at best, harmful at worst. Unless you were specifically told by the employer to include a goal statement (and run far away if you were, if it's not some weirdo academic-industry collab thing), replace it instead with a short and snappy summary of qualifications. Top of the resume, who are you? You are a Widget Analyst with 8 years of experience in Widget Marketing, specializing in Key Phrase #1 From Job Description, #2 Phrase, #3 Phrase. (Whatever you can actually support / prove, of course. Exaggerate, but don't lie. :haw:)

It's a waaaay better use of top two inches than telling me you hope to get a job. OF COURSE YOU DO, YOU APPLIED, RIGHT?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mandatory lesbian posted:

Offering pronouns is a fine and dandy way of normalizing them, but saying you're cis or trans is incredibly not something you should feel obligated to divulge to a employer or something we should normalize, I can only see that being used for discriminatory hiring

A good rule of thumb is that one shouldn't volunteer any information about yourself in an interview or resume to a potential employer on topics the employer is legally not allowed to ask about.

They might be able to infer your religion, gender or ethnicity based on some of your prior work experience or educational history but no way do you want to explicitly call out any legally protected statuses.

"By the way, I'm pregnant and am anticipating taking FMLA, but please do not discriminate against me. Thanks!"

edit:
on goal statements, I had a HR/resume expert a few months ago tell me that they are wildly out of fashion now. The only place that kind of stuff matters is if you are trying to do something very different with your next career move and are thus providing context as to why your experience and qualifications don't match what a typical applicant would have. Like an engineer wanting to get into a sales role or something.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 27, 2018

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

Two page resumes have no place in polite American society. I’ve heard Europeans do some weirdness there, like Germans including a headshot, but that just seems strange.

How does that joke go?

Me: "People with two page resumes are unlucky, and I don't want to hire someone who is unlucky."
Other interviewer: "What do you mean they're unlucky?"
Me: (throws resume in garbage) "It's pretty unlucky that that resume just got thrown away"

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Is there really a stigma with a two page resume, at least for people with say 10+ years of professional experience? I thought we were past that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barry posted:

Is there really a stigma with a two page resume, at least for people with say 10+ years of professional experience? I thought we were past that.

Why would they care about your work history beyond the last 3 positions/last 5 years or so?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

therobit posted:

Why would they care about your work history beyond the last 3 positions/last 5 years or so?

Because it's relevant?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

100% agreed. Goal statements are the first thing I remove from any resume someone asks me to edit. They're utterly useless to the candidate at best, harmful at worst. Unless you were specifically told by the employer to include a goal statement (and run far away if you were, if it's not some weirdo academic-industry collab thing), replace it instead with a short and snappy summary of qualifications. Top of the resume, who are you? You are a Widget Analyst with 8 years of experience in Widget Marketing, specializing in Key Phrase #1 From Job Description, #2 Phrase, #3 Phrase. (Whatever you can actually support / prove, of course. Exaggerate, but don't lie. :haw:)

It's a waaaay better use of top two inches than telling me you hope to get a job. OF COURSE YOU DO, YOU APPLIED, RIGHT?

I've always done:
Top: name
THEN: qualifications/education
THEN: previous related work experience (with explanation of previous tasks)

Second page: 3 references.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Barry posted:

I work at an IT staffing firm and every single resume I see is MINIMUM 2 pages. Some are 3 and a few are even 4 pages. I'd be really annoyed if someone arbitrarily tried to keep theirs to 1 page unless they were applying for an entry level helpdesk position or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why would you put your degree if you graduated more than 5 years ago?

If someone is claiming 10 years of relevant experience, I want to know what that experience consists of.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barry posted:

Because it's relevant?

Beyond 5 years/3 jobs I really question how relevant it is, unless you job hop all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Why would you put your degree if you graduated more than 5 years ago?

People don't put their degree on their resume? Seriously?