Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah. I'm hoping for the same outcome, honestly, or the New And Improved Continental. But numbers are numbers and it's probably gonna take me some time, so that's just something I have to accept. It's just hard when you feel soooo close to something and not playing this dumb game anymore, but it is what it is. A few weeks later with some perspective, I'd still be in a good spot if I got hired in 11 (or more realistically, 13-14 months or so) by the widget. It sucks it'd be at 6% lower seniority for the rest of my career more than likely, but it still would be a meteoric seniority rise. Things are looking good to become a LCA in June/July potentially and that will open doors at Big Memphis Purple and New and Improved Continental, hopefully one of those will work out.

How old are you? I remember when you got started with training, it wasnt that long ago. Some of us have been in this aviation employment rat race for over ten years. poo poo, I just flew last week with a captain who is in the pool for DL and he’s 51 years old.

Unless you are at an age where you need to start worrying, you really should take it easy unless your current employer is about to implode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

At the risk of making things worse in this conversation, I have a Facebook friend who just got hired on at Big Widget.

At 23. :psyboom:

He's saying he flew his last flight at Regional With A Logo Which Kinda Looks Like Northwest's (the alternate name game is kinda fun) six years to the day of getting his Instrument ticket and, at some point along the way, got a DC-9 type and was doing ferry flying in South Florida on the side and I still have no idea how any of that happened. (e- I wound up chatting with him at ATL one time waiting to take a flight back to CMH and that's what he was doing at that point- turned out he was a friend of a friend.)

e2- Nothing makes sense anymore. Stick with it, Slaughter, you'll land in a good spot.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 24, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

At the risk of making things worse in this conversation, I have a Facebook friend who just got hired on at Big Widget.

He's saying he flew his last flight at Regional With A Logo Which Kinda Looks Like Northwest's (the alternate name game is kinda fun) six years to the day of getting his Instrument ticket and, at some point along the way, got a DC-9 type and was doing ferry flying in South Florida on the side and I still have no idea how any of that happened.

I'm imagining he parked a DC-9 at a gate in ATL and the gate agent had a W-4 for him while the ground crew started painting.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I should really invest in getting a 73 or 320 type.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

e.pilot posted:

Buying a 320 type would be 100% useless - buying a 737 type would be 95% worthless. The difference being if you were hell bent on going to Southwest.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ausgezeichnet posted:

Buying a 320 type would be 100% useless - buying a 737 type would be 95% worthless. The difference being if you were hell bent on going to Southwest.

Southwest is the ultimate goal, yes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

See if there’s a buy one get one sort of thing.

On a more serious note, I accepted my Falcon upgrade offer, a school date has been tentatively reserved and they accepted the salary I wanted.

Rolo finally makes the jump from upper lower class to lower middle class. :cheers:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

See if there’s a buy one get one sort of thing.

On a more serious note, I accepted my Falcon upgrade offer, a school date has been tentatively reserved and they accepted the salary I wanted.

Rolo finally makes the jump from upper lower class to lower middle class. :cheers:

Congratulations! Lower middle class is awesome, you’ll now get to save $100 off of each paycheck for your rainy day fund. And maybe even afford to get the dental restorations you always dreamed of.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Southwest is the ultimate goal, yes.

Type is no longer required to interview or for employment and tbh it doesn’t make you that much more competitive hiring wise. Save your money

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Metal fatigue contributed to the ERAU Arrow crash: https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/ntsb-report-out-on-fatal-embry-riddle-crash/#.Wt-S9Wf0swU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's saying he flew his last flight at Regional With A Logo Which Kinda Looks Like Northwest's (the alternate name game is kinda fun) six years to the day of getting his Instrument ticket and, at some point along the way, got a DC-9 type and was doing ferry flying in South Florida on the side and I still have no idea how any of that happened. (e- I wound up chatting with him at ATL one time waiting to take a flight back to CMH and that's what he was doing at that point- turned out he was a friend of a friend.)

e2- Nothing makes sense anymore. Stick with it, Slaughter, you'll land in a good spot.
yeah, they've taken several of our 23 year olds this year. I turn 33 in July. Things will work out, but I don't understand what is going on with hiring there at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

That’s so lovely. Basically “gently caress you, your number’s up!” *wing fucks off*

Assuming maintenance was carried out according to procedure, what could’ve been done?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

That’s so lovely. Basically “gently caress you, your number’s up!” *wing fucks off*

Assuming maintenance was carried out according to procedure, what could’ve been done?

Maintenance being carried out according to the MM/Maintenance program doesn’t result in ”preliminary examination of the left wing main spar revealed that more than 80 percent of the lower spar caps and portions of the forward and aft spar doublers exhibited fracture features consistent with metal fatigue.”

The sound you hear is pencils, whipping furiously.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

There will be an AD made of this to check for this particular thing, but I wouldn’t be surprised if up until this point the annual/100hr checklist was simply a visual inspection. They’ll probably up it to a dye penetrate test or something, it’s been awhile since I did mechanic things.

That being said, it’s only a matter of time until congress responds by saying the only safe airplane is a Congress Brand™️ airplane.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

There will be an AD made of this to check for this particular thing, but I wouldn’t be surprised if up until this point the annual/100hr checklist was simply a visual inspection. They’ll probably up it to a dye penetrate test or something, it’s been awhile since I did mechanic things.

That being said, it’s only a matter of time until congress responds by saying the only safe airplane is a Congress Brand™️ airplane.

I don't think you can see the spar caps on a Piper Arrow without installing an access panel or drilling off some rivets and pulling the skin back. I remember there being some rumor floating around last year when a guy brought one in for his annual.

edit: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/november/07/wing-spar-ad-proposed-for-some-piper-singles Yeah; I think the Arrow falls in this range where you just can't get to spar caps without a lot of work. Although "wing falls off" is probably worth the work, given the risk.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If "wing falls off" is a genuine flaw inherent to something about the way the PA-28's wing is designed, you'd think it would have happened before with some regularity, considering how many of the things they've made over the last sixty years.

I am not an aviation mechanic or anything, but it seems that something like an unreported over-G associated with training (being the initial source of the crack that allowed some flexing which led to the fatigue, etc) is more likely than "just plum fell off"

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry, just have to post this.

Scheduling assigned me something they shouldn't have, I called them and after some researching they told me that I was right and fixed it. :eyepop:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Slaughter I have a question for you, do you have private messaging?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Slaughter I have a question for you, do you have private messaging?

If not I can relay. I have PM.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I do have PM yeah.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AWSEFT posted:

Sorry, just have to post this.

Scheduling assigned me something they shouldn't have, I called them and after some researching they told me that I was right and fixed it. :eyepop:

I have a friend who was still getting reserve calls from a blue, streak-like company months after he had moved on to fly MD-11s.

He'd respond by telling them "I would pick the trip up except I don't work for your company anymore."

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I don't think you can see the spar caps on a Piper Arrow without installing an access panel or drilling off some rivets and pulling the skin back.

I don't think the rest of the PA28 family is any different but this is what the spar caps look like on a Cherokee. The nuts protrude and have a little cover.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I have a friend who was still getting reserve calls from a blue, streak-like company months after he had moved on to fly MD-11s.

He'd respond by telling them "I would pick the trip up except I don't work for your company anymore."

Should've told them he'd be happy to do it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Holy hell, just got back from my first flight doing circuits on a hot, sunny afternoon since last year.... always fun and challenging!

Also, gently caress the flap system on 172Ms permanently. And also whoever decided that we needed more of them in our fleet, instead of N or P models :v:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I need to go fly some GA. Thinking about a floatplane...

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

The Slaughter posted:

I need to go fly some GA. Thinking about a floatplane...

i want to get my floatplane rating so bad, i'm even in a place that has multiple seaplane bases, but I'm already in so much debt

aaaaaa

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Grandseaplanes.com

Also on Facebook. Their location may surprise you.

The owner is also the one of the DPE choices.

Great operation. Usually takes about 6-8 hours to get proficient learning to land on the water.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

i want to get my floatplane rating so bad, i'm even in a place that has multiple seaplane bases, but I'm already in so much debt

aaaaaa

It's only like $1500 you won't even notice it!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Nah if I do it I'll do it here, there's a lot of great floatplane ops around Seattle and an acquaintance works as a CFI for one of the companies. I wouldn't bother to take the checkride, either, zero point unless you plan to buy a floatplane, since nobody will let you rent one solo except for one operation here that I have no intent of rejoining.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I definitely want to get a seaplane rating someday. Instrument, eh, commercial, no real pull there, but yes I want that ASES.

There are two places that do it here: one up in the mountains, about a 2 hour drive away where it's apparently a guy with a Piper on floats and a pond, and a more local place that caters to tourists. The latter was described by my medical examiner, an anesthesiologist with every rating under the sun who's flown everything from ultralights to military trainer jets, as "the place to go if you're feeling particularly wealthy" so uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I think I'll be looking at the guy with the pond.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

Nah if I do it I'll do it here, there's a lot of great floatplane ops around Seattle and an acquaintance works as a CFI for one of the companies. I wouldn't bother to take the checkride, either, zero point unless you plan to buy a floatplane, since nobody will let you rent one solo except for one operation here that I have no intent of rejoining.

Probably does not apply to you, but passing the seaplane checkride counts as a BFR.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Captain Apollo posted:

Usually takes about 6-8 hours to get proficient learning to land on the water.

Or as we say here in Canada, "certified dangerous".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AWSEFT posted:

Should've told them he'd be happy to do it.

They were even threatening to mark him as a no-show and pass him off to HR, again totally missing the point that he didn't work there anymore. :wtc:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

sleepy gary posted:

It's only like $1500 you won't even notice it!

I'm done with checkrides for a little bit after doing CFI and CFI-I eight days apart. Maybe next summer...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

sleepy gary posted:

Probably does not apply to you, but passing the seaplane checkride counts as a BFR.

Yeah, not so much a concern heh. I am just paranoid at this point about something like busting a float checkride for some stupid reason and examiner having a bad day and that impacting my career options, it would be weird to have to explain. No potential upside when I can't rent one solo and not buying one for a bit, so yeah. There would be no reason to get an ASES, I just want to go muck around on some lakes and get up on dat step.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well dudes.

I defended my dissertation on airplanes on Thursday. For years I had been planning to celebrate this accomplishment by changing my name to Dr. Apollo but apparently that account already exists and has 0 posts.

That's right.

Doctor. Pilot. Mooney. Bonanzas............ Apollo.

Get ready. It's showtime.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Well dudes.

I defended my dissertation on airplanes on Thursday. For years I had been planning to celebrate this accomplishment by changing my name to Dr. Apollo but apparently that account already exists and has 0 posts.

That's right.

Doctor. Pilot. Mooney. Bonanzas............ Apollo.

Get ready. It's showtime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

CBJSprague24 posted:

They were even threatening to mark him as a no-show and pass him off to HR, again totally missing the point that he didn't work there anymore. :wtc:

"You just do whatever you need to do there, boss..."

Oh, I would die for this situation, to scratch my Office Space fantasies...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Doctor. Bonanzas. Apollo.

Approaching maximum irony. Possibly irony overload. More seriously, congrats and don't die.

Content: I overrode our supervisor and TMU yesterday and closed the only remaining open departure gate out of FLL/MIA because we had a Challenger pilot come over requesting higher, reporting "a very poor ride, at least continuous moderate," that sounded exactly like he was flying around in a UH-1. I've never heard a fixed-wing pilot getting the poo poo kicked out of him that badly.

To the flight crew of that Challenger: Sorry my TMU tried to loving kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
American yelled at me one time after I vectored them through an area that 10 other planes had gone through with 0 precip displayed on my scope.

I didn't feel bad because he was a dick, but I stopped sending people that way also.