Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

:bravo:

well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFRWOP-KPnk

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

reminds me I have to go back to fallout vr thanks. I just stopped all gaming dead a few months ago for some reason.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Every anime has female characters (usually with big tits). Star Citizen is not anime.
Hard to argue with this statement

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

the turd burglar who designs toilets.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

trucutru posted:

Linku? e: found it.

Every anime has female characters (usually with big tits). Star Citizen is not anime.

is it as bad as anime or is it better?

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

intardnation posted:

reminds me I have to go back to fallout vr thanks. I just stopped all gaming dead a few months ago for some reason.

me too. getting too old for this poo poo, i guess.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen

Edit: goddam

:grin:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

/StarCitizen: Sunk Cost Galaxy #5 is making friends and influencing people

When Boo Huxley drops a “never was”, you know you’ve made a bestie for life.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xaerael posted:

Let's be real for a moment, Vib Ribbon has the best game music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIhYgXwpy4c

(actually, in context, it probably does.)

Katamari Damacy gruesomely beats it in the JP quirkiness category.

Well, yeah, but posting that is cheating.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 27, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

Katamari Damacy gruesomely beats it in the JP quirkiness category.

I wish I still had a psp so I could replay Loco Roco. That’s one of my favorite “weird-rear end game” things of all time

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

It’s like you guys are pretending this doesn’t exist?

This videogame song changed everything. Forever.

End of discussion.

I really liked the earlier game, grabbed this thing day one. And I just remember popping this disc in and hitting this part and sitting there muttering with increasing alarm, “No no no. No. Oooohhh nooooo. Please just... oh crap what are you dooooing?”

I could not believe it was really real. After the epic bravura nuttery of the first game’s opening, the sequel’s answer felt like the campiest fan service schlock possible.

There was only one way to proceed and such was my affection for the first game (warts and all) that I took it,

“Alright... Let’s play this garbage...”

And I did. And I made note of improved mechanics where they existed, played a lot of the mini games (“sure I’ll dress up as a Moogle and hand out balloons for a while...”), and gradually worked my way through the campy misadventure of it all and spent I don’t know how much time in red-faced explanations to my snickering Wife.

And dozens of hours and weeks later it was done, and I popped the disc out and put it away. My wife eventually asked, “Welp? Did you and your girl band save the day?”

”Yeah...”

”Did you find your boyfriend?”

”Okay first off, Tidus wasn’t my boyfriend. Tidus was ME..”

”So, no?”

Sigh.

”He’s in my heart or something...”

Yeah, going from FFX's butt rock to FFX-II's idol poo poo was indeed a way to perfectly encapsulate what the overall sequel was all about. That game is the Gremlins 2 of video games, if Gremlins 2 sucked, of course.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The OICW was a hilarious concept. 18 pounds to combine a stubby assault rifle with an underpowered, ultra high tech grenade launcher using all of the advanced technology that the mid-90s could put in there. Naturally that didn't stop video game designers from going crazy and embedding it in every "near-future" game they could, along with other failures like the Pancor Jackhammer and the Walther WA2000. It did result in the military developing the XM25, which was the dedicated grenade launcher portion of the OICW. As of 2017 that program was also canned. There's a long, ripe history of video game companies and gun manufacturers closely working together due to the mutual benefits. Video game developers get free access to high fidelity models of authentic weapons that resonate directly with the consumer, and gun manufacturers get free advertising for their latest and greatest platforms.

The Jackhammer and the WA2000 were great and I will fight you.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Neltharak posted:

I didnt think to screen earlier unfortunately, so the "subhuman" is missing from the notification.

Apparently wanting a jpeg spaceship refund is enough to strip you of your humanity :allears:

By this logic, it is impossible to like Star Citizen and not be racist right?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Drunk Theory posted:

By this logic, it is impossible to like Star Citizen and not be racist right?

Hey man! It's just CASUAL racism, so it's not that bad!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Every now and then I think about responding to these posts. Then I remember: nobody cares. They don't care. I don't care. None of us give a flying gently caress about the other person, what they think, or what their perspective is. There's nothing left to debate or discuss; either you see what CIG's doing and laugh because you think it's a hilarious scam or you spend more money because it represents the best hope of achieving the dream of space games. At this point the only reason to post is because you enjoy watching them say something dumb.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah Cy, everyone knows Duke Nukem Forever was only in development for 2 years.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Neltharak posted:

I've seen actual documentaries less researched than sunk cost galaxy. Outstanding videos.

SCG is an actual documentary. :colbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Jackhammer and the WA2000 were great and I will fight you.

They were great in the sense that they were cool guns. But they weren't particularly great in the sense that they were successful firearms. If I recall correctly only three Jackhammers were ever made, and according to Wikipedia WA2000s are ridiculously rare collectors items because less than 200 were made. But because they're cool and interesting you see them featured everywhere in video games. In other words if it weren't for the video game industry nobody would know what the WA2000 or Jackhammer ever were.

Okay that one I'm totally responding to.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

So they’re drilling deeper and deeper like the Dwarves in the Mines of Moira in the relentless hunt for more Mithril...

Oh well. I’m sure it’ll all work out for the best.

Too bad the Dwarves of Moria never figured out how to refund the Balrog like CIG did with Derek.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It's like they really don't get the point the video is trying to make.

Yes, obviously no one is holding a literal gun to their heads and forcing them to give money, but that's irrelevant. They all like to say stuff like "Well, I've analyzed their work and blah blah blah transparency, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy with the progress they're making." Well yes you dipshit, the whole idea here is that they're milking fracking suckers by using deceptive information to make them feel like their money is getting stuff done.

Just like Bootcha's oil wells, there's nothing there in the end, we're just not at the end yet.

Suckers are the easiest to take advantage of because no one wants to admit that they're a sucker.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the guy implying that it's okay to be "casually" racist because it bothers strangers on the Internet who don't like a computer game that you do.

That seems healthy and represents the sort of customer I know I would want advertising my product.

The troll horizon was breached a while back, and now simply 'making people mad' is the current way forward. It part of the 'mic drop' axis of engagement that Twatter has so enabled. Unfortunately, due to Poes law, it's impossible to extricate the real from the merely amused.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

SCG is an actual documentary. :colbert:

It actually is, although I think we're missing out on more recipes. The wildcatter analogy was pretty good, similar bullshittery took place around the gold rush.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every now and then I think about responding to these posts. Then I remember: nobody cares. They don't care. I don't care. None of us give a flying gently caress about the other person, what they think, or what their perspective is. There's nothing left to debate or discuss; either you see what CIG's doing and laugh because you think it's a hilarious scam or you spend more money because it represents the best hope of achieving the dream of space games. At this point the only reason to post is because you enjoy watching them say something dumb.

It's less about the engagement surface as it is about the audience. They _need_ new blood, so they're essentially attempting to signal boost through the astroturf of streamers - the limited number of which that remain are attracting cash investment from the company itself. This suggests that they might have run out of tame press to come play the secret build of the game. The free fly weekend was entirely premature, and is something you do pre-release to gee things up a bit more.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fidelitious posted:

It's like they really don't get the point the video is trying to make.

Yes, obviously no one is holding a literal gun to their heads and forcing them to give money, but that's irrelevant. They all like to say stuff like "Well, I've analyzed their work and blah blah blah transparency, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy with the progress they're making." Well yes you dipshit, the whole idea here is that they're milking fracking suckers by using deceptive information to make them feel like their money is getting stuff done.

Just like Bootcha's oil wells, there's nothing there in the end, we're just not at the end yet.

Suckers are the easiest to take advantage of because no one wants to admit that they're a sucker.

Especially smart suckers. People who are used to thinking they're the smartest person in the room, either as a result of being intelligent or simply not being around too many people. It's difficult for someone like that to admit they were wrong (it took me years), and often it's easier to maintain the lie and attack anyone who threatens it.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Just chiming in to say that I really like your new video Bootcha. Needs more Jpeg Tetris tho.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Especially smart suckers. People who are used to thinking they're the smartest person in the room, either as a result of being intelligent or simply not being around too many people. It's difficult for someone like that to admit they were wrong (it took me years), and often it's easier to maintain the lie and attack anyone who threatens it.

Well yeah, this is why there are still ultra twats insisting Crytek didn't make the pitch graphics and stuff like that, not because they are right, but they cannot stand to other people to be right. I personally love it because it makes them look even more insane than they would if they said nothing.
I hope this tradition continues for a long time as it creates good comedy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fidelitious posted:

Yes, obviously no one is holding a literal gun to their heads and forcing them to give money, but that's irrelevant.

You are not the audience for the things that they're saying. They're trying to convince themselves first, then the people around them.

There's a difference between most and these specimens in terms that most are not that invested in something. I threw $25 at HBS for BattleTech, but I wasn't _invested_ in it's success because it was $25. I got a production game for cheap because I considered the risks (for all of ~5 seconds, because I was *born* to House Kurita) vs the rewards. I didn't follow the development at all, mainly because on the outside I'd be out a decent steak, and they either will or will not pull it off.

If you consider that the _mean_ for SC ownership is $200 - and I've love to remove the known amounts from the top end and re-run that number, because I think it's higher; then there are people out there with _thousands_ tied to the success of SC _as a game_. There are some people out there for whom this is business. There are some people out there who consider this their shot at something larger than themselves - And Eve is littered with the sudden billionaire looking to make their mark by attracting people without, ah, vetting their new employees and falling foul of those terrible Goons.

Seriously, there are people who pre-ordered a game with _thousands_ of dollars.

Pre-ordered a game. Thousands of dollars.

peter gabriel posted:

Well yeah, this is why there are still ultra twats insisting Crytek didn't make the pitch graphics and stuff like that, not because they are right, but they cannot stand to other people to be right. I personally love it because it makes them look even more insane than they would if they said nothing.
I hope this tradition continues for a long time as it creates good comedy.

Good news, human stupidity is a renewable resource.

Now if only we could power things with it.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 27, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I wish I still had a psp so I could replay Loco Roco. That’s one of my favorite “weird-rear end game” things of all time

The experimental era of the PSP when you got quirky-rear end games with good production values was great. Now those sort of games are what you get as indies but they don't usually have the same amount of talent (due to sheer quantity of people working on them) behind.

Quite a shame.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

To be fair, I'm still in with my $35 from the original website (my credentials are Backer #2522) because I want to ride this crazy train to the end. And $35 is a small price to pay for the ability to download 60 GB every 6 months.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Mooja mooja

Patapon for me, although the PSP was eminently wangable*, and not suited for frustrating experiences.

* Brit. Coll. Suitability for 'wanging'**
** Brit Coll. To throw violently; 'He wanged the PSP because Patapon was unreasonably difficult.'

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

It's the perfect quest line closer and just gets you pumped to get right back into it and kick more rear end.

To "get right back into it and kick more rear end" is pretty much the best summary of Warframe, imo

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I didn't know you when you were a supporter. I bet you must have been one real sonovabitch back then.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DapperDon posted:

I didn't know you when you were a supporter. I bet you must have been one real sonovabitch back then.

It's not really that necessary. I know that on my part the disbelief was warded off by a lot of whataboutism and 'patience,' as the cultists still espouse no doubt lol.

Tho I dunno, Beer was kinda one of the chief figures of Goonrathi and that might've tilted him towards the sonovabitch scale a bit more due to more investment lmao. But if it was it was internally within Goonrathi, I never got that impression from him with his public posts that were always pretty polite and courteous to p much everyone, even when he poked the goon haters.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have never preordered or kickstarted a game, because that is dumb as poo poo.

Suck it suckers! :smug:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

9:06 - "I'm not a hundred percent convinced that all of this is possible and I get kind of the feeling that this is gonna get very much [dumbed] down" :laugh:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

trucutru posted:

I have never preordered or kickstarted a game, because that is dumb as poo poo.

Suck it suckers! :smug:

Honestly, this was literally the first and only one that I did and lmao @ me I guess.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thankfully this is SA and we're all dumb as gently caress so that doesn't apply :smug:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Totally. I mean, Star Citizen's music isn't actually BAD. The orchestra plays it well, the composer seems to know how to string notes together into compositions. It just suffers from a lack of memorability and iconic impact. It's the kind of music that, if it wasn't fresh in your mind, you wouldn't be able to hum it. It feels like it was made because the game needed music, rather than being made to elevate the game with it's music.

Really, I just think Chris Roberts is to blame, again, and he's a creative wasteland.

I imagine it's also difficult to elevate a game through its music when no game exists to write for

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLoon posted:

Honestly, this was literally the first and only one that I did and lmao @ me I guess.

Yeah, my quota of money burned in exploitative video game poo poo is filled gambling for waifus in freemium JP gacha games.

It's all worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:vince: