Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How does iTunes handle update file storage? I mean, does it just save each one and require you to find some buried folder to delete them, override them one-by-one as they come, or delete after the install...? I suppose that could be a consideration. Not everyone is sitting on 4 TBs of HDD space and all that

I’ve always largely jailbroken before OTA and that’s all I assumed the shift poo poo was for but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

How does iTunes handle update file storage? I mean, does it just save each one and require you to find some buried folder to delete them, override them one-by-one as they come, or delete after the install...? I suppose that could be a consideration. Not everyone is sitting on 4 TBs of HDD space and all that

I’ve always largely jailbroken before OTA and that’s all I assumed the shift poo poo was for but yeah

The OS files themselves? If I remember right, it throws the old one into the trash after you update, so I imagine it keeps the last one you installed until then.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It would be nice if you could download a "universal" .ipsw for if you were on ADSL or something.
Used to have to download them all individually from work and bring them home on a USB.
But this is pretty edge case.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hmm, finally found a bug with iPhone X. Sometimes wireless charging stops working entirely until I reboot it - like, it doesn't detect the charger and start charging, and the charger doesn't detect it. It's not an overheating or overloading thing, happens completely randomly in a climate controlled environment. Bizarre. At least restarting fixes it, and it doesn't seem to stop working when it's already charging (yet). It's only happened twice so far, but twice in two weeks...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I haven't had that happen, however I am starting to get weird lagging. Sometimes I open a program and it is just unresponsive until I force close it or get it out of the memory buffer. Seems like it's been happening more lately.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My X is screwed. I thought it was water resistant...

I washed it for a few seconds with running water in the sink to clean a smudge... and the Face ID camera died, telling me to go to Apple service to fix 😐

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I washed it for a few seconds with running water in the sink

You are ballsier than me, fuckin' thing cost $1800 CAD.

It's resistant against splashes and rain, not any kind of water under pressure. Don't submerge it or subject it to water pressure.

edit: Although IP67 technically means you can submerge it in under 1m for up to 30m I still wouldn't try it. IP65 is the one you want if you want to put it under a low pressure jet but iPhone X isn't rated for 65.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 27, 2018

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pivo posted:

You are ballsier than me, fuckin' thing cost $1800 CAD.

It's resistant against splashes and rain, not any kind of water under pressure. Don't submerge it or subject it to water pressure.

It's water resistant up to 1 meter. It can be submerged.

I've fully submerged it (accidentally) probably 5-6 times and purposely about the same. No issues.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
IP67

quote:

Immersion, up to 1 m depth

Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).

I dunno, sounds like water proof to me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah, I've edited my post. 67 allows submersion up to 1m for 30m, but 65 is the one that allows low pressure jets, and iPhone X isn't rated for that

It could just be bad seals from the factory too though

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’ve seen submersion videos for iPhones since the iPhone 7 and they all handled chillin in the bottom of a bucket of water for an hour just fine, I didn’t expect the X to die after a few seconds of running water from the top/front. :11tea:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ve seen submersion videos for iPhones since the iPhone 7 and they all handled chillin in the bottom of a bucket of water for an hour just fine, I didn’t expect the X to die after a few seconds of running water from the top/front. :11tea:

Pressure changes that equation significantly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1m depth is barely waterproof, that's under 2 PSI. Your kitchen faucet is putting out like 30 PSI at full blast.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Use a damp cloth to clean your phone and a dry cloth to dry it off afterwards.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You can also try turning face Id off and then set it back up again.

I got the Face id needs repair message once (unrelated to water) and resetting it fixed it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

and y’all thought I was making poo poo up lol

quote:

iOS 11.3.1 improves the security of your iPhone or iPad and addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 8 devices because they were serviced with non-genuine replacement displays.

Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any places to get legit refurb iPhones outside of the Apple Store (which only has the 7 and 7+)? I want to switch back to Apple because my Nexus 5x is probably going to poo poo itself any day now, but don't want to spend a ton. If I had to get a new one, I'd buy the SE, but there's a lot of refurbs on Amazon... problem is I have no idea if these sellers are legit or not. It looks like other retailers like Best Buy sell refurbs as well.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 28, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zero One posted:

You can also try turning face Id off and then set it back up again.

I got the Face id needs repair message once (unrelated to water) and resetting it fixed it.

I already tried, restored everything etc

I guess I’m getting a replacement phone, they’re telling me to bring it in ☎️

I wonder if I can exchange it for a different color? I really don’t like this blackish Space grey

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Are there any places to get legit refurb iPhones outside of the Apple Store (which only has the 7 and 7+)? I want to switch back to Apple because my Nexus 5x is probably going to poo poo itself any day now, but don't want to spend a ton. If I had to get a new one, I'd buy the SE, but there's a lot of refurbs on Amazon... problem is I have no idea if these sellers are legit or not. It looks like other retailers like Best Buy sell refurbs as well.

A refurb is just a phone that’s used and was repaired/cleaned and is being resold. Anyone can resell an iPhone. Besides Apple, there’s a bunch of retailers that offer used/refurb iPhones with some sort of initial warranty period.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

A refurb is just a phone that’s used and was repaired/cleaned and is being resold. Anyone can resell an iPhone. Besides Apple, there’s a bunch of retailers that offer used/refurb iPhones with some sort of initial warranty period.

I'm asking because I looked at some on Amazon and there were some pretty bad reviews... some saying they were defective right off the bat, had been stolen, whatever.

edit:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-SE-Unl...dpSrc=srch&th=1

notice the top customer review.

So what I'm asking for is sellers besides apple that sell refurb iPhones that aren't suspect.

edit:

another reseller, a bit more expensive but seems less suspect

https://buy.gazelle.com/buy/used/iphone-se-16gb-unlocked

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 29, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

actionjackson posted:

I'm asking because I looked at some on Amazon and there were some pretty bad reviews... some saying they were defective right off the bat, had been stolen, whatever.

edit:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-SE-Unl...dpSrc=srch&th=1

notice the top customer review.

I just got a 128 SE from that exact page and it's just fine. It uses the same landing page for all the different marketplace sellers, so I would hope that the bad ones get weeded out over pulling something like that. I got a refurb 5S from Amazon, too, just the same way and it was fine. I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better about taking the risk, but a lot of people do get what they paid for.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Am I...doing something wrong with Siri?

I want to listen to a specific song. I say "Siri, play [song]." Siri plays a different song by the same artist. I check and see my music to see what the issue is. Oh, the song isn't on my phone, so I do a cloud download real quick. Nope, Siri still plays the same wrong song. The titles aren't remotely the same. They don't rhyme, start with the same letter, have the same syllables, or are even on the same album. Artist is the only link here, and the worst part is that Siri specifically STATES that she's playing the song I want...then plays the absolutely wrong song.

And I was looking into getting Apple Music since Siri on the phone is easier to use than Google Play Music/the Google Assistant app, but holy poo poo not if the experience is going to be like this. I have to be doing something wrong here, right?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Hey guys, my iphone lightning charger heads keep breaking off. I literally didn't know suck a thing was even possible, having never broken a USB head or old iphone cable in 25 years. But my (admittedly very heavy) iphone 7 plus has snapped the charging head off twice in a few months now, and from small drops of one or two feet.

Is there anything more sturdy I can use to charge my phone? I took one apart and it seems the heads are only kept in place by an ultra thin wire and the rubber/plastic casing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Billzasilver posted:

Hey guys, my iphone lightning charger heads keep breaking off. I literally didn't know suck a thing was even possible, having never broken a USB head or old iphone cable in 25 years. But my (admittedly very heavy) iphone 7 plus has snapped the charging head off twice in a few months now, and from small drops of one or two feet.

Is there anything more sturdy I can use to charge my phone? I took one apart and it seems the heads are only kept in place by an ultra thin wire and the rubber/plastic casing.

Could you just plug your phone in and leave it for an hour, then use it unplugged?

I’ve never heard of this before. That’s crazy.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

Could you just plug your phone in and leave it for an hour, then use it unplugged?

I’ve never heard of this before. That’s crazy.

Me neither, but I don’t think I’ve ever dropped my phone while it’s charging. My recommendation would be to not do that.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I concur with Weedle. Stop dropping it while charging.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Am I...doing something wrong with Siri?

I want to listen to a specific song. I say "Siri, play [song]." Siri plays a different song by the same artist. I check and see my music to see what the issue is. Oh, the song isn't on my phone, so I do a cloud download real quick. Nope, Siri still plays the same wrong song. The titles aren't remotely the same. They don't rhyme, start with the same letter, have the same syllables, or are even on the same album. Artist is the only link here, and the worst part is that Siri specifically STATES that she's playing the song I want...then plays the absolutely wrong song.

And I was looking into getting Apple Music since Siri on the phone is easier to use than Google Play Music/the Google Assistant app, but holy poo poo not if the experience is going to be like this. I have to be doing something wrong here, right?
Trying to use siri.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Siri is actively getting worse, those are not unusual complaints. I suspect it’s got to do with their machine learning having a go in the Siri team but who knows.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tell Siri to define mother and then when it asks for the next one say yes.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Weedle posted:

Me neither, but I don’t think I’ve ever dropped my phone while it’s charging. My recommendation would be to not do that.

This thing weighs like 3 normal phones. I will definitely drop it again.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Skeezy posted:

Amazing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

This screenshot proves nothing; you probably did it while going through a border crossing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If I have an iPhone 5S and a dictaphone, is there a straightforward way for me to record a call, and preferably my own voice? Can I just use a jack splitter to get audio+mic support on one end and the dictaphone on the other?

I also have an XLR microphone and an audio interface with an instrument port fwiw.

There just has to be a better way than some dumb specific dingus that costs a bazillion dollars.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

If I have an iPhone 5S and a dictaphone, is there a straightforward way for me to record a call, and preferably my own voice? Can I just use a jack splitter to get audio+mic support on one end and the dictaphone on the other?

I also have an XLR microphone and an audio interface with an instrument port fwiw.

There just has to be a better way than some dumb specific dingus that costs a bazillion dollars.

I think the Google Voice client used to to this. I stopped using GV a while ago so I’m not sure if it still does. (However, I may be moving back and listing that as my number for the work directory. Some dingle-berries outside of my group have been abusing the privilege of being able to call my number)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this one is annoying as poo poo and maybe I’m missing it but I can’t figure it out.

I love that when a song is playing I can swipe down and pause / skip tracks....

But! It’s annoying as gently caress when I pause something and that loving widget goes away!

Is there a way to not make it do that? It’s kinda frustrating because if I want to listen to a video from IG I need to pause my music for just a second to listen to it but when I want to restart it I need to go back into the music app.

Am I missing something here?

Edit ok I guess I can add a widget to this screen but it doesn’t really have proper controls?

I dunno.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 30, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's a SUPER annoying iOS 11 thing, it's either poo poo ram management or a bug because the music/ now playing widget CONSTANTLY forgets what I'm listening to. It's poo poo.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Skeezy posted:

What was it doing? I just get two definitions right away, (noun - female parent and verb - bring up a child in a caring way).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

CaptainCaveman posted:

What was it doing? I just get two definitions right away, (noun - female parent and verb - bring up a child in a caring way).

First one was female parent.

Second one was “Abbreviation for ‘motherfucker’”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

And she actually said “‘motherfucker” out loud :v: