Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

UberJew posted:

Finished the story and while there is free-roam it appears all contracts are 4-5 skulls forever, which makes sense since i've got ridiculous mechs but i do miss being able to field non-assault lances :v:
Can't you fly back to some of the 1 or 2 skull planets and do contracts there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Do you ever get to deploy beyond single-lance size?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I'm pretty sure turning ON vsync seems to improved my performance, which makes no sense but give it a shot

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've almost finished the main campaign and I'm having a blast with the game. A really good achievement especially on such a small budget and I have no regrets about backing it. That said, I do think it has a lot of room for improvement in several areas, and I don't think any of those areas are things mentioned by e.g. the sort-of-negative RPS review.

Some wishlisty things:

1. Ability to save mech loadouts
2. Ability to earmark a work order and then actually commit to it after coming back to the mechbay, or even better let you access the store directly from the mechbay
3. Ability to buy/sell more than one of each item at a time
4. Ability to drag and drop your mechs in the mechbay to re-arrange the ordering. This feels especially necessary once you have all three mechbays open

That's all fairly small quality of life stuff but it would add up to a nicer experience, I think

Also the game needs some bugfixing - nothing super dramatic in my experience, but there are some busted mission setups like spawning your mechs on the side of a cliff and having them trapped there. Occasionally your mechs can get stuck inside scenery when you move them (I got one stuck in a building that should have been destroyed when it walked through but wasn't, once). Also I'm not sure if it's a bug exactly but it does feel like some of the contracts that turn out to have reinforcements triggering the reinforcements too early, I think. I've had situations where the reinforcing lance comes in immediately, then when I finally kill everything at cost Darius says "I'm picking up incoming reinforcements" and then the mission ends immediately - suggesting that the arrival of a second full-strength lance was meant to be staggered somewhat rather than right from jump street. I'm not entirely against the sort of 'surprise flank' situations because sometimes dealing with those can be fun, but they should probably only show up on more difficult missions or the flankers should be a bit weaker as a rule.

Similarly, while I like what they're aiming for with the difficulty I think it could stand a fair bit of tweaking to get it into a sweet spot. Must be difficult because they have to account for everyone's slightly different situations but it seems like '2.5 skulls is a massive difficulty spike' is a pretty common refrain among players and it does feel like something could change there. I also don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with 'sometimes your intel is off' as a design principle, but the implementation could be refined because sometimes it just ends up feeling unfair. Perhaps the game should just emphasise that withdrawing is expected and normal? That might soften the blow.

It also feels like even in the late game it should be a bit easier to find easy missions if you want them. Might give you a reason to keep a lighter lance (I'm thinking mediums not lights) around even in the late campaign. And on that note I'd quite like a general sandbox mode without the Restoration/Directorate plotline for messing around in once I've completed the campaign. Just start you in a random system with random mechwarriors, sort of thing. Call it 'non-canon' if you want so you can just start out with a second Argo.

You might notice a theme in all of this which is really that I just want the game to be even better and to have more options. I hope it's a huge success so HBS actually have the finances to keep working on it because what we have already is great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Deuce posted:

Do you ever get to deploy beyond single-lance size?
Not in this game, but at least one dev really wants company drops.

Ardlen posted:

Can't you fly back to some of the 1 or 2 skull planets and do contracts there?
Nope. Every time you do a story mission the global difficulty ticks up. Each system is just a +/- modifier.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Rebinding my Mouse 4 and Mouse 5 buttons to Enter and Escape (in the Razer app, not sure how others would easily do it) bypasses my major complaint of not being able to right-click out of selections or Space not triggering actions/dialogue progression.

Game owns a whole fuckin lot, I am having so much fun

John Charity Spring posted:

It also feels like even in the late game it should be a bit easier to find easy missions if you want them. Might give you a reason to keep a lighter lance (I'm thinking mediums not lights) around even in the late campaign. And on that note I'd quite like a general sandbox mode without the Restoration/Directorate plotline for messing around in once I've completed the campaign. Just start you in a random system with random mechwarriors, sort of thing. Call it 'non-canon' if you want so you can just start out with a second Argo.

gently caress yeah, this would be the icing. All of your other ideas are spot on too.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I like this game, but I am having to shake bad habits from playing MW:O and brawling for so long.

I did immediately go to Fronc and turn my Centurion into a Yen Lo Wang though with +10 damage AC-20.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Trying to give this game a bad Steam review but the store page keeps crashing I WILL NOT BE SILENCED

Pity it's such a shallow experience I was really looking forward to it for a while.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I wish there were some weird gimmick contracts that would make terrible mechs like Locusts see use just from mission constraints. Right now it feels like the locust is obsolete at the start of the game, the one time I brought it was because the spider was under repair and I wanted Dekker to get experience, so he just hid the entire match.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Control Volume posted:

I wish there were some weird gimmick contracts that would make terrible mechs like Locusts see use just from mission constraints. Right now it feels like the locust is obsolete at the start of the game, the one time I brought it was because the spider was under repair and I wanted Dekker to get experience, so he just hid the entire match.

If you pull the machine guns off the base one and slap on a pair of small lasers it can be a decent back shooter if you reserve right or just have it chase vehicles early game

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Every time an enemy Light strays too close to one of my larger 'mechs and gets ruined by a melee attack I shout "THE WEAK SHOULD FEAR THE STRONG" at the top of my lungs.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

If you pull the machine guns off the base one and slap on a pair of small lasers it can be a decent back shooter if you reserve right or just have it chase vehicles early game

Yeah but why would I do that instead of bringing the spider, or soon this jenner

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Are the stores on each planet randomized or standard?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I've reached the end game point where you just fight king crabs and their cohorts of thunderbolts and I'm pretty much never fielding a light mech again. That's a shame.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
While quality of life fixes are being suggested I'd like to throw out a few:

1, when it's only my mechs acting in a phase, it shouldn't tell me that it is my turn and take control away after each individual move.
2, if you are going to have a button that changes the pattern on a mech, maybe have it on a screen where it isn't cut off by grey menus from the waist down? I also wouldn't mind rotating the mech to see what the pattern looks like from any other angle.

That and you should be able to give mechs custom paint jobs to make your aces stand out. Cohesion is great but sometimes you just want it to look like a flying circus.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you go to the Star Map under navigation, you can see the different traits of each system. Some of them make it so there is no store, others make the store have better stuff (like more ++ advanced versions). There's one system that is known for having high tech labs. Whenever I'm flush with cash I go there to stock up on cool things like LRM15++(that stability damage!) or my craziest find, an AC20+++ (badass when it works, but so far kinda impractical on my Jagermech)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Control Volume posted:

Yeah it's weird that the game encourages you to always bring your four heftiest boys to every mission

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Different planets have different possible market tables they draw from, and you can get a hint at what they are by looking at the planet's tags on the Star Map.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ah, ok. I should mark down which early planet I got this lrm20+++ from then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah it's weird that the game encourages you to always bring your four heftiest boys to every mission

A mechwarrior tradition

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I kind of wondered what delights of lostech and other upgraded weapons might be available and how you can acquire them so I did some delving into the jsons, don't read this if you don't want to get super spoiled!

As far as I can see most of the lostech stuff isn't that great, with the exception of DHS, and they're not available in any shops except for gauss ammo. All upgraded weapons are defined on a per-weapon-type basis, so for example all LRM+++s have +50% crit and +2 stab dmg, all SRM+++s have +4 dmg and +2 stab dmg, etc. For a lot of weapons I would prefer the ++ variants over the +++ ones and the balance between different weapon types is all over the place. Some of the other equipment which is available from shops is extremely interesting though, there are 'heat bank' heatsinks which give a boost to heat capacity, and thermal exchangers which reduce your heat generation directly by a percentage and tons of other cool poo poo. Most upgraded weapons poop all over lostech ones, though the gauss rifle is nice if extremely heavy.

As for how to get the good poo poo, basically go to systems with modifiers which make sense, e.g. research bases, high tech / industrial, black markets, etc.

If anyone has seen any DHS or gauss rifles anywhere in the game outside of story missions let me know

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 27, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just getting tot he point where you can do two misions when you get to a planet instead of one and then waiting for your mechs to repair is a huge boost to your income.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zigmidge posted:

Quoting this because this game needs it bad. Put this in the OP.

Appreciate it :tipshat: but a better way has been found (apparently, I haven't tried it myself).

According to Reddit one quick regedit enables debug mode, and a hotkey in game toggles speedup.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Impermanent posted:

just getting tot he point where you can do two misions when you get to a planet instead of one and then waiting for your mechs to repair is a huge boost to your income.

Except when the light lance you massacre gets that one stray SRM hit to the head on three of your pilots so they're all out for 20 days :argh:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Boy, convoys sure do get tougher later on.

[Shoots at least 1000 missiles, several massive balls of energy and lands a 50t mech on a Striker then watches it drive away with a fenderbender]

Even against back armor, their evasion makes them tough targets to hit. That and my pilot's are just being trash and not hitting things right in front of them. I like the a game lots but I wish things just got on with it. I can't move the camera during phases so when I see my mechs take damage, I see it. I don't need 10 extra seconds of my pilots telling me what I just saw. Just shut the gently caress up and let me position you to so I can get some counter-attacks in.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

If Evasion is a bitch, try Sensor Locking those assholes to drop a few pips. It only removes 2, but it helps

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ciaphas posted:

Appreciate it :tipshat: but a better way has been found (apparently, I haven't tried it myself).

According to Reddit one quick regedit enables debug mode, and a hotkey in game toggles speedup.

Ah sick, thank you! There are far too many variables and decisions to play around in this game to waste time watching a bunch of robot fluff jerk itself off.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like the idea that the game only ever gets harder and by end game you never want to use anything but 100 ton boys disappointing. It would be nice if there were still planets with like 1 or half skull missions you could use some lighter mechs on. Hopefully its moddable.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

I call this the "SIT DOWN!" mech. Sure, a pure LRM boat could probably match, if not outdo this build, but letting that PPC gather dust felt like a crime. Now to find a mech worthy of the AC/20+++

RabidWeasel posted:

All upgraded weapons are defined on a per-weapon-type basis, so for example all LRM+++s have +50% crit and +2 stab dmg, all SRM+++s have +4 dmg and +2 stab dmg, etc.
Fairly sure there are some variations on + and ++ versions, but I did read somewhere that +++ have just one setup and not all weapons might even go that high.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Malek Deneith posted:

I call this the "SIT DOWN!" mech. Sure, a pure LRM boat could probably match, if not outdo this build, but letting that PPC gather dust felt like a crime. Now to find a mech worthy of the AC/20+++

Fairly sure there are some variations on + and ++ versions, but I did read somewhere that +++ have just one setup and not all weapons might even go that high.

Yeah the ++ ones come in basically 'doubles' (i.e. same bonuses as + but twice as good) and some weapons also have mixed upgrades such as +dmg +accuracy, but not all weapons have a +++ variant

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like the idea that the game only ever gets harder and by end game you never want to use anything but 100 ton boys disappointing. It would be nice if there were still planets with like 1 or half skull missions you could use some lighter mechs on. Hopefully its moddable.

Yeah after you get past the story mission with the exploding ammo it becomes completely suicidal to field lights, and a pretty bad idea to be fielding more than one or two mediums.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
At the point where the plot planet can sell you infinite griffins, is it worth it to buy one or two? I feel like I have a good mix already but from what I remember of prior games the "good" medium mech was the hunchback

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

At the point where the plot planet can sell you infinite griffins, is it worth it to buy one or two? I feel like I have a good mix already but from what I remember of prior games the "good" medium mech was the hunchback

Griffins don't really seem like anything special and it's probably not worth spending the money to pick one up there.

Hunchbacks are definitely still great mediums in this game, too. The 4P I got did a ton of work for a really long time.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Xarbala posted:

A mechwarrior tradition

#SteinerScoutLance
#AtlasLife

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think I have learned, after using a locust early, that anyone I put in a locust is going to die unless God himself decides they're only going to get horribly mangled.

Even the Spider is not this dangerous. I do not know how Dekker has survived his Trial By Locust.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Everything turning into an Assault fest is a scaling flaw in every Mechwarrior game ever made and I don't think it's fixable unless you have either tonnage restrictions or start making up new rules/mechanics for lights/mediums to not be useless at a certain point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eej posted:

Everything turning into an Assault fest is a scaling flaw in every Mechwarrior game ever made and I don't think it's fixable unless you have either tonnage restrictions or start making up new rules/mechanics for lights/mediums to not be useless at a certain point.

Besides, you can always . . . start over with a new game

Some tonnage restricted missions would be fine tho

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hunchbacks, Centurion LRM boats and Shadowhawks were the stars when I was using mediums.

Griffins are pretty meh. Cicadas are actively bad. Vindicator/Blackjacks/Trebuchets are bleh.

And I never managed to find an Enforcer or Kintaro in 25 hrs of missions :v:

Some mech types are way too goddamn rare and it would be nice to see more variety in missions tbh.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Blackjack got cored and killed Behemoth. I'm very tempted to just garbage the whole thing instead of repairing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eej posted:

in beta if a Light moved at all during its turn it got the full 50% dodge which made them a lot hardier than they are in the game now and made alpha strike shiving bigger Mechs in the back with them pretty decent.