Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Defiance Industries posted:

Then most of the Clans ignored what they learned, because it didn't confirm their expectations for

Pretty much. The Clans are hilariously inept when it comes to the information part of warfare. Hell, I don't think they even had a proper group to handle intelligence gathering until after they invaded the Inner Sphere. Up until then, information gathering usually took the form of 'Hey you, I challenge you to honorable combat for all your secrets. Fite me bra.'

That probably explains why the Clan Watch even gets beaten by the FWL's SAFE in competence. It's a little hard to be a Spy when your ruling Clan insists on making field agents out of highly conspicuous Super Soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Rorahusky posted:

Pretty much. The Clans are hilariously inept when it comes to the information part of warfare. Hell, I don't think they even had a proper group to handle intelligence gathering until after they invaded the Inner Sphere. Up until then, information gathering usually took the form of 'Hey you, I challenge you to honorable combat for all your secrets. Fite me bra.'

That probably explains why the Clan Watch even gets beaten by the FWL's SAFE in competence. It's a little hard to be a Spy when your ruling Clan insists on making field agents out of highly conspicuous Super Soldiers.

Except, of course, for *~LYRAN 'MECH REPORTER~*, BETHANY COCHRAINE

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Watch was created to watch Clan Wolverine, but assignment to the Watch was basically a career death sentence so only the most inept individuals wound up there.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Then most of the Clans ignored what they learned, because it didn't confirm their expectations for

Ironically, I think the Clans that may have taken it seriously did not participate in the invasion (Goliath Scorpions acted as the OpFor for the Dragoons before they left, for example). Though I was not too sure if Clan Wolf took it seriously, or just Ulric.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Weissritter posted:

Ironically, I think the Clans that may have taken it seriously did not participate in the invasion (Goliath Scorpions acted as the OpFor for the Dragoons before they left, for example).

This is the stated reason for Clan Star Adder losing the bid to join the invasion even as an auxiliary Clan. I figure they looked at the size of the Inner Sphere, bid every gun they had and knew it still wouldn't be enough.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

This is the stated reason for Clan Star Adder losing the bid to join the invasion even as an auxiliary Clan. I figure they looked at the size of the Inner Sphere, bid every gun they had and knew it still wouldn't be enough.

If the Clans thought Wolf’s Dragoons, with 5 regiments, would blend in as a “typical” merc unit, how could they be surprised at how large the armies were in the Inner Sphere? Likewise if they were surprised to find the regression in technology, how did they think they were going to mount a successful invasion in the first place?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Carbolic posted:

Likewise if they were surprised to find the regression in technology, how did they think they were going to mount a successful invasion in the first place?

Manifest Destiny. They were so caught up in their own little echo-chamber of "We're so great", that they figured that they could roll over the IS with a bunch of Trials. Because they forgot how to conduct a war. Which is one of the things that the Animated Series got right (!) in which the Clans show up, start issuing Batchalls, and the IS defenders go "WTF are you talking about?".

And they didn't learn their lessons for the most part. Even during the battle of Tukayyid, most of the Clans expected one-shot engagements, rather than protracted slogs. They paid for their hubris.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Carbolic posted:

If the Clans thought Wolf’s Dragoons, with 5 regiments, would blend in as a “typical” merc unit, how could they be surprised at how large the armies were in the Inner Sphere? Likewise if they were surprised to find the regression in technology, how did they think they were going to mount a successful invasion in the first place?

In fairness, oversupplying the Dragoons would have worked in favor of the Clans if the Dragoons hadn't betrayed them in favor of the Inner Sphere. Of course, the betrayal itself probably wouldn't have happened if the Dragoons hadn't been built from (or at least, commanded by) Freeborn warriors, but Clanners will be Clanners :v:.

I admit, I'm curious how the invasion would have gone if the Clans actually *did* get their intel.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Quick question for the following: Affi, FractionJackson, ChronoJam, Jng2058

I haven't seen any turn 7 posts in the Google doc for your stompybots. Have you gotten order into PTN or are you still working on them?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I was away all week, just got back to a computer. I have orders in mind and I will collaborate!

Deadline is still midnight on saturday right?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Affi posted:

I was away all week, just got back to a computer. I have orders in mind and I will collaborate!

Deadline is still midnight on saturday right?

Yeah I am just high strung and bored at the office.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Mezzanon posted:

Quick question for the following: Affi, FractionJackson, ChronoJam, Jng2058

I haven't seen any turn 7 posts in the Google doc for your stompybots. Have you gotten order into PTN or are you still working on them?

I was out of town, ended up being busier than expected while I was, and am only now starting to feel capable of conscious thought again.

Don't worry. :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So can someone explain to me how the tsm works again please. Can it get too hot?

And also what are the different cut offs and penalties of heat?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Affi posted:

So can someone explain to me how the tsm works again please. Can it get too hot?

TSM turns on at 9 heat, giving +2 movement (really +1 because you're already penalized by your heat) and double melee damage. At 10 heat your movement gets penalized again, dropping you down to normal. In general every 5 heat is -1 walking speed, and 8, 13, 17, 24 all make it harder to hit. At 14 and every 4 thereafter you make an increasingly difficult check to not shut down and at 30 you automatically shut down.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Isn't there also an ammo explosion check at very high heat?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Isn't there also an ammo explosion check at very high heat?

It's irrelevant to the current mission (gauss ammo doesn't explode) so I chose not to bring it up. Happens at 19, 23 and 28.

The key takeaway is that with TSM you want to be exactly 9 heat or less than 5.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It's irrelevant to the current mission (gauss ammo doesn't explode) so I chose not to bring it up. Happens at 19, 23 and 28.

The key takeaway is that with TSM you want to be exactly 9 heat or less than 5.

10-13 is also fine if you're going to kick someone. Less accurate, same movespeed, double melee damage is absolutely a trade-off worth making if you can't hit exactly 9 on a turn you kick.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
My simple orders are in. Jump 4, kick something if it is still alive by the time I kick, and hope I cool down. Now to get back to playing the new game.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Farseli posted:

My simple orders are in. Jump 4, kick something if it is still alive by the time I kick, and hope I cool down. Now to get back to playing the new game.

I'm jumping north 5 hexes to 1211 (end facing south) and kicking and shooting things

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheBlandName posted:

10-13 is also fine if you're going to kick someone. Less accurate, same movespeed, double melee damage is absolutely a trade-off worth making if you can't hit exactly 9 on a turn you kick.

Less accurate is also pretty ok when you're effectively Gunnery 1 pilots!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Affi posted:

The tism kicks in once you get vaccinated and only gets too hot around trains.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

TSM turns on at 9 heat, giving +2 movement (really +1 because you're already penalized by your heat) and double melee damage. At 10 heat your movement gets penalized again, dropping you down to normal. In general every 5 heat is -1 walking speed, and 8, 13, 17, 24 all make it harder to hit. At 14 and every 4 thereafter you make an increasingly difficult check to not shut down and at 30 you automatically shut down.

An important add on, heat, and TSM, is calculated after everything else in a turn.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah just trying to decide if I should keep my tsm on for next turn or cool off. I decided I’m not cooling off because nobody close to me can heat me up and I’ll mostly be jumping the following turns.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

McGavin posted:

The tism kicks in once you get vaccinated and only gets too hot around trains.

:chloe:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

thetruegentleman posted:

In fairness, oversupplying the Dragoons would have worked in favor of the Clans if the Dragoons hadn't betrayed them in favor of the Inner Sphere. Of course, the betrayal itself probably wouldn't have happened if the Dragoons hadn't been built from (or at least, commanded by) Freeborn warriors, but Clanners will be Clanners :v:.

I admit, I'm curious how the invasion would have gone if the Clans actually *did* get their intel.

If they still invaded probably the exact same way. You can't change 200+ years of institutional inertia governing everything about your weapon choices and and deployment numbers and engagement strategies and just how your individual warriors choose who they're going to shoot. One of the better parts of the Archenar novel fight between Powers and the Steel Wolf star colonel was his inner monologue about HOW PISSED he was getting that Powers had the NERVE to SLIGHT HIM by SHOOTING AT PEOPLE THAT WERENT HIM AND IN CONVERTED AGROMECHS. Plus you have the clan warrior training to watch your enemy as youre fighting so that if they concede the trial you have to stop shooting immediately or possibly face other trials from people who think that you didnt acknowledge your victory fast enough.

Things like the Wolves actively hurting the invasion by doing things like bidding away all warship assets to make the other clans follow suite or lose ehonure and then doubling how many worlds they would target to make the other clans attack more than they could handle to try and keep up in the Great Chestbeating Match of 3050 wouldnt happen but only if you got 100% of the wardens to become crusaders. Lots of top units in the clans werent fighting on frontline planets and were instead putting down resistance movements on the very worlds they took for years.

I think an all out every last gun of the Clans balls out invading the IS would be interesting to explore but there's too much on the IS side that makes up for the tech.It would be really interesting to have the Smoke Jaguars not develop crippling stupidity because the writers decided they were the clan that needed to die next.

edit: also- I believe a bunch of the officers were True Borns, I know Natasha Kerensky was and i think tested back into being a Galaxy Commander when she went back to clan space

Stravag fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 27, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stravag posted:

edit: also- I believe a bunch of the officers were True Borns, I know Natasha Kerensky was and i think tested back into being a Galaxy Commander when she went back to clan space

Nearly everyone above Star Commander is a canisterborn with blood name.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah but I dont know who had what rank in the dragoons and they used IS ranks. I know Natasha was a captain when she was in the WD and had an entire company

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There were only two bloodnamed Clanners in the Dragoons, IIRC (Natasha and William Cameron) and William died on Misery.

Of all the people the Dragoons' scientists cloned, William was probably the one who would've been the most OK with it afterwards.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Was William an actual purebirth, or did he just pick the name Cameron "out of a hat" as it were? Because Natasha is the only really famous one and... isn't Cameron a Snow Raven bloodname?

Anyway, BattleTech is brutal! I played through the tutorial after work today, and they blew my arm off! Right off, just boom! And this is against tutorial 'Mechs, whom the mentor guy was ripping apart each turn in a single shot.

I've started the first real mission (which they demoed way back when), let's see what happens. I've started out with a Blackjack of all things, because I picked the Outer Periphery as my starting point. I guess you get different starter 'Mechs depending on your origins?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I dunno, I picked Marik, also Blackjack. But then again, a few missions in I'm still using it, though I've got an AC20 Centurion in refit. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, your starting mech and starting lance are actually fixed and independent of your origin choices. It's always a Blackjack, Vindicator, Shadowhawk, and Spider.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

Was William an actual purebirth, or did he just pick the name Cameron "out of a hat" as it were? Because Natasha is the only really famous one and... isn't Cameron a Snow Raven bloodname?

William was capital-I Important both to the Dragoons and Jaime personally. The Dragoons were amassed from all the Clans since none fielded many Freeborn warriors, pretty sure William was their The Watch representative but I dunno if that was ever explicitly stated or if it's just my assumption.

There's no way a Dragoon would just "pick" an actual existing Clan bloodname out of a hat though, there's no way the Clans would've let that fly.

painedforever posted:

Anyway, BattleTech is brutal! I played through the tutorial after work today, and they blew my arm off! Right off, just boom! And this is against tutorial 'Mechs, whom the mentor guy was ripping apart each turn in a single shot.

I've started the first real mission (which they demoed way back when), let's see what happens. I've started out with a Blackjack of all things, because I picked the Outer Periphery as my starting point. I guess you get different starter 'Mechs depending on your origins?

You always start with the Blackjack. The game is rough, treat the Spider delicately and get Dekker sensor lock ASAP (he's one bubble away from it). The Spider doesn't need to be shooting every turn, and using sensor lock to screw over one of the lights you'll be fighting in the early game is much more helpful than the ~50 damage he can put out with his medium lasers. You won't see one for a bit but get him into a Firestarter (or Jenner, I suppose) ASAP.

I still use Dekker and his Firestarter well past the point where most streamers consider lights "useless." They're really not and I really want a second one so I could build a six-flamer Firestarter for those really hot maps.

I have a sneaking suspicion the starter was supposed to be a Phoenix Hawk instead of a Blackjack, but then the HG lawsuit happened (and the Pixie was on the "maybe" list IIRC)

VVV I found an LRM-20++ and a Tactics 8 ex-ComStar rando in the shop, a Centurion with 2 ML, 1 LRM-20 and 2 LRM-5s as back-up is legitimately good at unsteadying things in the early game.

Edit: I was also lucky enough to bump into a 2/2/2/8 ex-ComStar Acolyte to be my lurmboater. It did not take much time or effort to get their other status up to something respectable and she's now my best pilot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 27, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The Firestarter is a good light. I like using it to melee stuff because almost all its weapons are support weapons that fire on melee.

For Centurion fits, I really like the old MWO standby of 2 medium lasers and 3 SRM6 racks.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You always start with the Blackjack. The game is rough, treat the Spider delicately and get Dekker sensor lock ASAP (he's one bubble away from it). The Spider doesn't need to be shooting every turn, and using sensor lock to screw over one of the lights you'll be fighting in the early game is much more helpful than the ~50 damage he can put out with his medium lasers. You won't see one for a bit but get him into a Firestarter (or Jenner, I suppose) ASAP.

I still use Dekker and his Firestarter well past the point where most streamers consider lights "useless." They're really not and I really want a second one so I could build a six-flamer Firestarter for those really hot maps.

Really? The way it was highlighted, I thought it'd change depending on what you picked. Ah well, doesn't matter much. It's just odd that they start you off with one of the more reviled designs in-Universe.

I was playing the first mission pretty aggressively and having fun. I'd knocked out the turret generator, knee-capped the Commando, "disarmed" the Spider, and was about to go thoroughly murderize that one 'Mech that's been sent as "backup" before I got called away for dinner. I'll get back to it in the morning.

Hell, I'd like to be able to run a more balanced lance, but if all I have is a lance, and if the game ramps up the way other BattleTech games have (MechCommander and MechWarrior), I expect I'll have to end up with an Assault Lance by the end just to keep everyone alive. This is not an easy game, and I love it (so far). Totally worth whatever the hell I paid for it last year.

So, PTN, being a veteran BT player, d'you reckon they've captured the feel of the tabletop?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

So, PTN, being a veteran BT player, d'you reckon they've captured the feel of the tabletop?

Yeah, this is very BattleTech. Rip the AC/2s out of that Blackjack and give it a pair of AC/5s and you'll have 70% of a JagerMech's killing power in the early game.

I highly suggest going guts/one other tree for the MC. Bulwark will save you the first time you take an assassinate and learn the OpForce is 8 'Mechs and 2 tanks, all heavier than you

I know my personal preference is for the Tactics tree but Gunnery is also good. I just find Master Tactician to be overall more useful than Breaching Shot, but there are good arguments to be made for both. The Tier 2 Guts ability is probably the worst in the game at the moment so skipping it is a no-brainer. I kinda wish it was the Angel of Death skill from Beta-1, but that one was absurdly powerful (no (50%?) reduced self-damage from DFAs and doubled jump distance) so I'm not surprised it was cut.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In PTN's stream he treated his LRM-Centurion as something of a dumb joke but in terms of available tonnage for weapons and hard points, it's one of the better missile boats for much of the campaign.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's one of those ideas that feels really stupid when you do it but the LRM Cent is 100% a better lurmboat than a Trebuchet, fite me IRL. LRM Centurion's a 4/6 to the Treb's 5/8 and mounts all the missile hardpoints in the torso. You can probably safely run 2 LRM-15s in it but the -20, -5, -5 setup I was running worked very well (LRM-10s are too heavy and the 2 5s gives you an extra chance for a headshot, and I found an LRM-20++ that did bonus stability damage).

I've now replaced it with a Lurmageddon Orion with paired LRM-20s but that's because I've now fought 6(?) Orions and captured three of the things before ever once seeing a Catapult. The Catapult disappointed me because it only has 1 missile hardpoint in each arm, so you can't recreate the splatcat with it. :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala posted:

In PTN's stream he treated his LRM-Centurion as something of a dumb joke but in terms of available tonnage for weapons and hard points, it's one of the better missile boats for much of the campaign.

I run an LRM Wolverine instead. LRM20++, LRM15++, and three tons of ammo. No room for JJs or backup weapons, but it's basically like drone-striking someone on many missions. Especially with a Sensor Lock guy moving the phase before, so if you end up in a situation where something is moving in just barely in sensor range and has no clear shot you're just taking free 75%+ shots at them with impunity. It also has a good chance of killing vehicles outright before they can get in range in a single salvo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, this is very BattleTech. Rip the AC/2s out of that Blackjack and give it a pair of AC/5s and you'll have 70% of a JagerMech's killing power in the early game.

I highly suggest going guts/one other tree for the MC. Bulwark will save you the first time you take an assassinate and learn the OpForce is 8 'Mechs and 2 tanks, all heavier than you

I know my personal preference is for the Tactics tree but Gunnery is also good. I just find Master Tactician to be overall more useful than Breaching Shot, but there are good arguments to be made for both. The Tier 2 Guts ability is probably the worst in the game at the moment so skipping it is a no-brainer. I kinda wish it was the Angel of Death skill from Beta-1, but that one was absurdly powerful (no (50%?) reduced self-damage from DFAs and doubled jump distance) so I'm not surprised it was cut.

I really like Breaching Shot for lurmboats, actually, especially since if you split fire among multiple targets (and you have to get the ability to do so in order to get Breaching Shot anyways) and use one weapon on each, Breaching Shot applies to each target.

Mind you, it's also really good on an AC/20 Hunchie, I'm finding in more recent missions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I had an LRM centurion that got completely wrecked due to me misreading a map on my very first run so now it's an AC/20 Centurion spending two months in the shop

by the time it comes out I'll hopefully have found another Centurion to shove in my LRM-20+++ I found in a store

• Locked thread