Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dealerships suck and a warranty is more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, at least for the small stuff. I sadly learned this lesson with my Veloster.

Maybe the higher end dealers don't have their heads that far up their own asses. A man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah I think I'll entertain them on this last one since I normally don't work mondays anyways and need to run errands but I knew in the beginning I'd really only want the warranty for big failures. I should really just replace the pedal myself. 150 aint bad and it looks like its just 4 bolts and the wiring harness.

I need to get the service manual

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bajaha posted:

Dealerships suck and a warranty is more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, at least for the small stuff. I sadly learned this lesson with my Veloster.

Maybe the higher end dealers don't have their heads that far up their own asses. A man can dream.

hahahahaha. I was planning on buying a used(~2 year old lease return) MB e350 from one of the better regarded MB dealers in the area(Mercedes of Bellevue). Went to go take a look at it, sat around for 30 minutes till someone could manage to figure out where the car was and get me the keys. Go to the back corner of the lot where it was parked, find it with a flat tire and bumper damage that was not in the pictures online. Go back in, tell them all this and tell them I will be back in a couple days to test drive it*. Come back, tires aired up but the damage is still there, take it for a test drive and everything is great. Ask the dealer whats the price now that they have damaged it on their lot. His response? "We are a no haggle dealership, the price is the price." Despite the fact they priced the car before it had been damaged. Ended up telling them to gently caress off and picked up my ls430 instead(much better plan, bough it in cash instead of having a loan). They continued to send me notifications about the car, and unsurprisingly they eventually dropped the price twice to below what I offered them in the first place.

All dealers are awful, some are just better at lying to your face.

*The only reason I was willing to come back was because it was the only car that matched the year/options/colors I wanted in the area. And the damage was just light bumper scuffs, probably from a lot kid cutting it too close. Didn't bother me at all, I just wasn't going to pay full price for a car that had damage they didn't know about.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Your LS430 will probably be significantly cheaper to own in the long run too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The 60D shoots video correct? I've been thinking about getting one, I'm still rocking one of the 20Ds I used back in my freelance days over a decade ago :v:

Yup, 60D does video. I'll probably be selling mine, PM me for deets.

In other news -- jesus christ, Fluke really pissed off AvE.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

MomJeans420 posted:

Your LS430 will probably be significantly cheaper to own in the long run too.

O for sure. I have had it for about a year and half now and the only thing its needed is a new battery and tires. In the end I was probably lucky the dealer was a dick, it just amazes me how little fucks they give.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

keykey posted:

I got the same email, however have never used it anyway so whatevs... In any case on my wife's 2013 taurus, oil life is under information on the left hand side of controls.
Information>system check>oil life.

Unfortunately they chose not to give me that option, but I honestly haven't checked since it got a big update a while back. I'll have to recheck.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I couldn't figure out the health report thing as a second owner but I'm not sure I'd ever need it, most car cost tracking apps have really good mileage/time reminders built right in.

That's not to say I'm not currently annoyed with Earnhardt Ford though.

I have never heard anything good about Earnhardt, and I am continuously amazed they are still in business. I had a terrible experience with them many years ago and have never gone back.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

Unfortunately they chose not to give me that option, but I honestly haven't checked since it got a big update a while back. I'll have to recheck.

I have never heard anything good about Earnhardt, and I am continuously amazed they are still in business. I had a terrible experience with them many years ago and have never gone back.

I bought my SRT from them in 03 and just got loving railroaded. The Escape I bought from Carmax and unfortunately Earnhardt Ford is the closest to my house by far. After this stupid rear end poo poo I guess I'll try San Tan or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I bought my SRT from them in 03 and just got loving railroaded. The Escape I bought from Carmax and unfortunately Earnhardt Ford is the closest to my house by far. After this stupid rear end poo poo I guess I'll try San Tan or something.

I have no experience with the East valley, but good experiences in general at both Sanderson and Jones. Of course both would be a hell of a drive for you.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

I have no experience with the East valley, but good experiences in general at both Sanderson and Jones. Of course both would be a hell of a drive for you.

Oh I'll drive for good work. Most of the professional work I had done to the SRT was done by Larry Miller. 45 loving miles but it was done right the first time. e: Thanks for the tip

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

O for sure. I have had it for about a year and half now and the only thing its needed is a new battery and tires. In the end I was probably lucky the dealer was a dick, it just amazes me how little fucks they give.

The Lexus dealership near us has been great, it's like bizzaro dealership, total opposite of every other experience I've ever had. Took in our LS430 to replace the battery under warranty, no questions asked, they put a new battery in right away and washed the car. A+ would recommend.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

wtf why am I considering doing this work on my dime and time when I have a warranty. Ugh.

Because dealers are just that dreadful to deal with.
The only reason they still exist is that you can't by law by a car directly from the manufacturer in most states. Mind you, the manufacturers don't seem to care that their dealers are so bad it's hurting their sales...
I would literally rather buy a used car from Craigslist than have to talk to a loving car salesman.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Started my new job this week, pretty great so far. I'm one of two IT guys in the entire company and the facility I'm working out of is basically going to become my own little fiefdom to run IT from as I (mostly) see fit.

In interest to some in this forum, the company is a metal fabricator/finisher that acquired a shuttered facility that contains (allegedly) the second largest powder coating line in North America (pic dump follows):

Start/end of the line where parts are loaded/unloaded to/from an overhead chain carriage:

Parts then pass through a wash line...

...and into a low-temperature drying oven:

Then into the spray booth:

And on to the finishing oven:

And through a cooling line before looping back around to where we started:

Production line runs 4/10 hour shifts Monday-Thursday and is shut down on Fridays, although they're still fine tuning everything after the line sat idle for over a year. And the pictures above only represent somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the total facility.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

Because dealers are just that dreadful to deal with.
The only reason they still exist is that you can't by law by a car directly from the manufacturer in most states. Mind you, the manufacturers don't seem to care that their dealers are so bad it's hurting their sales...
I would literally rather buy a used car from Craigslist than have to talk to a loving car salesman.

I guess yeah. My experience at Carmax was 20 minutes. I called them to reserve what I found on the website, went to my bank and signed a loan, bank sent a dude for inspection, i went later that afternoon handed them a check and left. loving glorious.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

^^^ Thats what it was like when I got my lexus. Went to the used dealer(high end one in bellevue as well), handed me the keys to the car, test drove it, agreed on a price(~$2k under asking) in about 5 minutes, came back the next day with a cashiers check and took it home. Probably one of the best used car dealers I have dealt with. Only reason I had to wait till the next day is because I drove out there alone and didn't want to leave my miata there over night.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Lexus dealership near us has been great, it's like bizzaro dealership, total opposite of every other experience I've ever had. Took in our LS430 to replace the battery under warranty, no questions asked, they put a new battery in right away and washed the car. A+ would recommend.

I forgot that I went to Lexus dealer to get a new key, since it only came with 1 "master" key and it was in rough shape. Had to drive to the Lexus dealer in bellevue(just down the street from the MB dealer), since for some reason Lexus of Seattle wanted $50 more for the key. Huge fancy dealership, giant waiting area with comfortable chars/tables/couches/etc. It was packed and they still had me out of there in under an hour and I showed up without an appointment. I have heard great things about Lexus dealers from a few different people. I just wish all their new cars didn't look so god awful.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 27, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Geoj posted:

Started my new job this week, pretty great so far. I'm one of two IT guys in the entire company and the facility I'm working out of is basically going to become my own little fiefdom to run IT from as I (mostly) see fit.

In interest to some in this forum, the company is a metal fabricator/finisher that acquired a shuttered facility that contains (allegedly) the second largest powder coating line in North America (pic dump follows):

That looks really cool.

How long before you have powdercoated everything you own?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

How long before you have powdercoated everything you own?

Only problem there is (assuming they'd let me do it) I'd have to pick from primary colors, or wait for someone to place an order with a metallic finish.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Infinity War spoilers:

Thanos

Wins

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If I ever buy new iron I'm basically gonna do a major powertrain mod like a blower or w/e right out of the gate to void the warranty so thoroughly as to stop myself even being tempted to take it back to the dealer for anything but recall work. gently caress dealerships.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jones Ford in Buckeye must think they are a Lexus dealership on the sales side. Last three cars purchased there were very pleasant. Test drive as much as I want, get the price (first number from them has been excellent all three times), in and out of finance in only the time it took to sign the paperwork, then someone follows me home if I don't have a trade, and done.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Infinity War spoilers:

Thanos

Wins

This is based on a comic book that came out 20 years ago.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

This is based on a comic book that came out 20 years ago.

Yes and

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

and nerds.

And Hollywood being entirely out of ideas.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

And it's hard to spoil something older than the average viewer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And yet theres a lot of people that seem to care about the details

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's actually very different from the comics.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's actually very different from the comics.

Well duh, the pictures move and talk and stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

Well duh, the pictures move and talk and stuff.

SPOILERS rear end in a top hat

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

As requested:

:nws:

http://foxglove.paheal.net/_images/...20Tim_Drake.png

:nms:

I'M A BIG DUMMY THAT DOESNT KNOW HOW TO USE NWS TAGS!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 28, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You really should tag that poo poo, it's clearly NSFW (or for anything really).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've learned that a "paheal" link is never a good idea.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've learned that a "Gingerbread House Music" link is never a good idea.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slurry_curry posted:

^^^ Thats what it was like when I got my lexus. Went to the used dealer(high end one in bellevue as well), handed me the keys to the car, test drove it, agreed on a price(~$2k under asking) in about 5 minutes, came back the next day with a cashiers check and took it home. Probably one of the best used car dealers I have dealt with. Only reason I had to wait till the next day is because I drove out there alone and didn't want to leave my miata there over night.

I forgot that I went to Lexus dealer to get a new key, since it only came with 1 "master" key and it was in rough shape. Had to drive to the Lexus dealer in bellevue(just down the street from the MB dealer), since for some reason Lexus of Seattle wanted $50 more for the key. Huge fancy dealership, giant waiting area with comfortable chars/tables/couches/etc. It was packed and they still had me out of there in under an hour and I showed up without an appointment. I have heard great things about Lexus dealers from a few different people. I just wish all their new cars didn't look so god awful.

Lexus dealers are so amazingly good.

My mazda dealer (In Elk grove, CA), which also owns the Infiniti dealer my dad uses, is somehow also excellent, though that isn't part for the course for either of those makes. The Mazda dealer even has someone know knows about rotaries and fixed some really obscure issue on my brother's RX8 no one else could figure out. I'll probably stop using them when the warranty is up (just because of cost), but they're really pretty good. My brother keeps going there because no one else it this town seems to know about spiny triangles, and I'm pretty sure my dad doesn't care how much it costs to keep his 200k+ mi M35 going because he like the car and the dealer so much.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Lexus dealer near me charges $129 for an oil change.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I DID IT

I FOUND THEM

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I DID IT

I FOUND THEM

Found what? A door that leads to a 1980's Pizza Hut?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
A church that only exists in a movie?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Is that one of them finicky crystals people are talking about?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Found what? A door that leads to a 1980's Pizza Hut?

YES. I've been looking for these cups for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

COMICS ARE loving poo poo

Looking forward in a few hours to watching Infinity War

• Locked thread