Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

I was just thinking that when I got mine. A heavy that moves just as fast as my Shadowhawk? Count me in...why is it so slower?

They're both exactly the same speed, the shadow hawk just animates and runs faster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eldragon posted:

Finally getting a chance to play this game, and so far it seems like the best btech implementation yet.

Quick Question: In the early game when negotiating contracts, it is better to push for salvage, money, or a balance of the two? I've heard some conflicting things about the value of salvage.

It depends, if you push for salvage prepare to meet half a dozen shitcats. If you push for payment, you’ll headcap a thunderbolt and an orion on your third move.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ditty bout my clitty posted:

It depends, if you push for salvage prepare to meet half a dozen shitcats. If you push for payment, you’ll headcap a thunderbolt and an orion on your third move.

This is the absolute honest truth.

Very early game I would weight money though since most of the time you will just see poo poo for salvage, especially since it'll be a ton of vehicles.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

everytime i go full salvage i end up just fighting vehicles

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
how did this reinforcement bug make it through testing?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I would take cash for missions with multiple objectives since they apply a flat multiplier to your earnings, but most of the time in the early game money isn't very useful. For whatever reason, assembling salvaged mechs is instantaneous so you quickly reach the point where you have a constant supply of Locusts and Commandos that you can use to fill out the team while the others are being refitted and repaired.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Doesn't happen all the time is my guess. Half my assassinations are basically milk runs. Battles can be all over the place too.

Difficulty is just swingy in general. Even if the reinforcements didn't spawn immediately as in the bug, fighting 8 kitted mechs even with the damaged property is still a tall order.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Truth :emo:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Woozy posted:

I would take cash for missions with multiple objectives since they apply a flat multiplier to your earnings, but most of the time in the early game money isn't very useful. For whatever reason, assembling salvaged mechs is instantaneous so you quickly reach the point where you have a constant supply of Locusts and Commandos that you can use to fill out the team while the others are being refitted and repaired.
This. Once you get a feel for what sorts of missions have what sorts of objectives you'll be able to make at least better predictions on what to do.

Last night I took a mission to destroy a base and those usually have multiple hidden objectives (such as destroy all the turrets). Asked for ~600k and almost no salvage and cleaned the map, with all the bonuses I ended up getting closer to 900k, and most of the enemies were heavy vehicles and light mechs so I didn't really miss out on the salvage.

Cash becomes a bit more important than salvage as you start getting into upgrading your Argo.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
So the Highlander's Gauss Rifle is one-of-a-kind, in this game? If you lose it, it's gone?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It is possible it isn't a bug. That there's just more stuff than you're expected to handle and you're just expected to withdraw.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I had to pass up hiring a mechwarrior with the exact skills and stats I was looking for because I couldn't bring myself to hire someone called "Death Krusade" with an appropriately gritty background and face full o scars. loving lovely kickstarter nerds :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RabidWeasel posted:

I had to pass up hiring a mechwarrior with the exact skills and stats I was looking for because I couldn't bring myself to hire someone called "Death Krusade" with an appropriately gritty background and face full o scars. loving lovely kickstarter nerds :argh:

You did the right thing, that guy is dumb.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm coming to Battletech from a MC, MC2, and MW3+ background, all later in the timeline, so it is kind of weird how few guns there are. I wish there were different SRM/LRM munitions types at least, since I assume those aren't lostech.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I know I should sell all these light/med mechs but I keep thinking that I might need them. That there may be some mission that requires fast mobile flankers and poo poo.

But who am I kidding - I have 3 thunderbolts and a highlander. The only mechs I need now are more assaults.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mordja posted:

I'm coming to Battletech from a MC, MC2, and MW3+ background, all later in the timeline, so it is kind of weird how few guns there are. I wish there were different SRM/LRM munitions types at least, since I assume those aren't lostech.

Most actually are, unfortunately. Inferno rounds are still around, but very few mechwarriors are crazy enough to load those into their mechs, since they tend to explode when hot. Infernos are popular with infantry carrying one-shot should-fired SRM tubes though.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone mods in Inferno SRM launchers (they'd be a separate entity from regular SRMs however), though they probably can't add the fun "roll to see if your ammo explodes inside you when reaching certain heat thresholds" part.

As for having more gun variety, just be patient, people are already working on that. :shobon:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not that into the clan era myself, but don't worry man, modders will work on this poo poo. They're already doing some early ground work and experimenting. You'll have all your cool (dumb) clan mechs from MWO and stuff.

Highly modded hybrid catapult:

Look at the weapons on the left:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I saw that post, almost makes me wish I'd put off buying the game, haha. It would be cool if modding takes off in a way that really mixes things up and adds to the game, though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone mods in Inferno SRM launchers (they'd be a separate entity from regular SRMs however), though they probably can't add the fun "roll to see if your ammo explodes inside you when reaching certain heat thresholds" part.

As for having more gun variety, just be patient, people are already working on that. :shobon:
Curious to see what modders come up with. This is definitely the type of game that the detail-oriented type modders salivate. Look at what has happened to JA2 over the last ten years. This game scratches that same type of customizable, tactical itch. I just hope that HBS makes it easy enough for them to work on.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Scrapping a mech for c-bills isn't as profitable as putting it in storage and then selling it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Filthy Monkey posted:

Curious to see what modders come up with. This is definitely the type of game that the detail-oriented type modders salivate. Look at what has happened to JA2 over the last ten years. This game scratches that same type of customizable, tactical itch. I just hope that HBS makes it easy enough for them to work on.
From what I understand they have no plans for official mod support, but the file structure is all fairly open.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are all the Mechwarriors created by KickStarter backers? Cause when I see an obvious one I never hire them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The KS backer mechwarriors have a KS badge next to their rank icon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They're also the only ones with nice, 2D portraits, unfortunately.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I forgot what their name was but I thought "oh there's a dude I would just march into the fray in a locust"

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Got a glitch where a few of my mechs aren't repairing their armor after one of the story missions, weird.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mordja posted:

They're also the only ones with nice, 2D portraits, unfortunately.

There are a handful of unique/preset Mechwarriors that aren't KS backers. All the multiplayer pilots are in there for example. HBS calls them "Ronin".

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

has anyone been keeping track of systems that sell mech parts

i think ive domed one mech in my entire ~25 hours of playtime but my mech bay is basically a grave yard of 1/3 and 2/3 sets and there's a few id just rather spend the cash to finish

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

peer posted:

So the Highlander's Gauss Rifle is one-of-a-kind, in this game? If you lose it, it's gone?
As far as anyone knows that Highlander and it's gear is the only LosTech we get for keeps. There is one report of someone getting their hands on ER PPC but that person has no clue how it happened, other than it wasn't related to any storyline missions, which makes it sound like some crazy glitch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

peer posted:

Yeah, ditto its special heatsinks.

I built mine into a sniper with an LRM 20, LRM 10, PPC and the Gauss rifle. It works really well as a backline fire support

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

also where else sells those cockpit upgrades, i've only found one so far that i use on my commander but its a huge QoL upgrade to not have someone clocked out for a month next mission because an errant LRM just happened to give them a concussion while bulwarked with 4 evasion pips

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are a handful of unique/preset Mechwarriors that aren't KS backers. All the multiplayer pilots are in there for example. HBS calls them "Ronin".

Cool, will keep an eye out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Taerkar posted:

Scrapping a mech for c-bills isn't as profitable as putting it in storage and then selling it.

At the same time being scrapped is the only ethical thing to do with a Locust, lest someone else have to drive it some day.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Berke Negri posted:

also where else sells those cockpit upgrades, i've only found one so far that i use on my commander but its a huge QoL upgrade to not have someone clocked out for a month next mission because an errant LRM just happened to give them a concussion while bulwarked with 4 evasion pips

I've gotten most of mine from random battles. Enemies start having mod parts when you're running 3/3.5 star missions.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I can tolerate a bit of laggy graphics and camerawork and some odd hiccups here and there, but finishing a mission and watching MY dropship land and destroy one of MY own mechs is outright bullshit. There wasn't even a 'go there or don't stand here' area, it was 'we win, boom'.

Who the hell QAed this. For something that's been in development so long, this is pretty stupid.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Anyone know what I should do to get the Shadowhawk skin?

I backed it at 50$ but when I got my key it was the regular edition instead of deluxe?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Doesn't happen all the time is my guess. Half my assassinations are basically milk runs. Battles can be all over the place too.

Difficulty is just swingy in general. Even if the reinforcements didn't spawn immediately as in the bug, fighting 8 kitted mechs even with the damaged property is still a tall order.

In about 20 maps with “reinforcements” I’ve never NOT had all the mechs come at me at once.

I like the game but there really doesn’t seem to be much depth to the maps at all. It’s always two or three turns of sprinting to the objective, one big fight on some hilly terrain, then map complete. Even the prison break was pretty weaksauce with me just pushing left, clearing the power buildings and the first group, then breaching the wall and sitting there killing dudes as they came out.

The mech vs mech gameplay is fun, the story is cool and the cinematic are awesome, but the muddy gameplay graphics and meh maps are keeping me from recommending it to friends.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
wow the reaction to that guy's mechwarrior piece has inspired RPS to publish three drat reviews of the game now.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Kalas posted:

I can tolerate a bit of laggy graphics and camerawork and some odd hiccups here and there, but finishing a mission and watching MY dropship land and destroy one of MY own mechs is outright bullshit. There wasn't even a 'go there or don't stand here' area, it was 'we win, boom'.

Who the hell QAed this. For something that's been in development so long, this is pretty stupid.

The code is a curious hodpodge of various things crammed together into a game shaped thing.

Just from poking around in the dll I can see a lot of things that would cause performance problems.

Hopefully we'll get a patch soon to fix things.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

wow the reaction to that guy's mechwarrior piece has inspired RPS to publish three drat reviews of the game now.

lol, they should have stuck to the initial review. the frantic backpedalling is hilariously dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I have managed to get a Kintaro but have no idea how to fit it, all the missiles?